Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Mother hucker, Parking is above Boisses. First right after the dam/Boisses roundabout on the way to Lac. Go to the end where the shuttle bus turns around. About 30 free spaces
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grinning, 30 spaces with 50 crammed in, im down in les brev instead. wont need it till next weekend at the earliest
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of those weather quirks.........

In Tignes and Val there was about 5cm in the village and 10cm at height (Solaise and Panoramique) but there was 45 cm on the Pissaillas Glacier! I guess a shower nipped over from Italy on the easterly and got stuck, not so much a retour d'est- just an oddity. There was so much snow over there they had to increase the official avalanche risk from 2 to 3. So even the experts were stumped! Just when they were thinking the road would be clear to resurface for the Tour de France.............

Over in Tignes (and not knowing this) I had an end of season day, sorting stuff out and a trip round the sales, they even had stuff in my size. It was grey with bright patches and then light wet snow after lunch this has just turned to moderate snow.

Now the weather over the next 4 days is very trick, its going to be a case of look out of the window, we are stuck in a flabby area of low pressure and there are a number of troughs of low pressure wandering around aimlessly. Troughs are often associated with a band of heavy showers, sometimes thundery, but where they actually form is very difficult to pin down and so forecasts can be wildly out - could be sunny could be honking down with rain or snow. Enough of the science. But at the moment, the snow should continue until around dusk, tomorrow will be quite chilly for the time of year and start sunny with more fluffy clouds bubbling up in the afternoon. Tuesday looks similar, with perhaps a little more cloud in the morning than tomorrow. Wednesday, will probably be mostly cloudy, maybe a bit of sun in the morning and a chance of stormy showers in the afternoon, with snow down to Brev. Thursday, a long way off, but showery, with the snowline around Lac in the morning, dropping later, but the forecasts are changing so stay tuned!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, i wanted corn. this season has been a right mixed bag, warm when it should have been cold, cold when it should be warm. one thing predicatble about mountains is they're not predictable
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i am arriving on saturday for a week, with the hope of getting the kids going..... with it being easter and quite late, was thinking that it won't be that cold.....around 0 - minus 3 or 4 at le lac..... but it looks cold on snow-forecast.... any insight from the locals wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks a bit cooler than normal, but those snow forecast temps are way out. They were forecasting -5 this afternoon, it was actually about +5; the snow has only just started settling on my balcony (8pm). If the sun comes out - even better
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers chocks, am glad you said that as the idea is that it’s warmer for the kids than Feb etc
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, congrats on the 100k hits.

You always provide great information and the counter just goes to show how much people turn to this page for sound advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everybody!

We woke up inside a fluffy cloud this morning, having checked the secret spycams which showed it went up to the Motte, I opted for a trip down to Bourg for the final shop and to buy all next years non perishables - always nicer lugging wine and loo rolls (amongst others!) up the street when its spring. Predictably the cloud soon vanished and there were some good conditions out there. I nipped out for an hour after lunch to get some fresh air - must be school holidays - lots of ankle biters out there!

The unforecastable weather continues - there are a few fluffy clouds out there - but snowforecast.com says its snowing..... Tomorrow will be pretty much like today, mainly sunny in the morning with more bubbly cloud in the afternoon, make hay whilst the sun shines. Wednesday looks a bit more cloudy, sunny spells in the morning and more cloud in the afternoon, maybe a light shower, depending on who you believe. For Thursday there is more harmony amongst the supercomputers, cloudy with light snow, again one or 2 apps are over egging the snow I think - somewhere between a dusting and a bit is my best guess. Whereas on Friday there is discord, anything from a bluebird to cloudy with snow showers, take your pick!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a stunning day, just what you hope for when you get only 6 days of skiing per year. Being completely outskied by the kids, but loving it. Obviously the blue skies turned some of the lower runs a bit slushy, but managed 9am to 4:45pm with smiles on our faces all day. Only frustration was Grand Huit being out of action which scuppered our plans to ski over to Lac via the route we’d planned.

Was thinking about Sache tomorrow morning - what’s it like at the moment? Worth getting onto early morning, or is it not really in good enough condition at the moment?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(btw, I mean the piste, not the off piste as I’m a wimp / my technique is poor*)

*delete as appropriate
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In resort from Sunday for my last hurrah!
Hope there is still a little to do.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Marmottes out just to the left of Palafour chair, spring must be here!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any news re the repair of the grande motte cable car ? . I arrive on the 21st
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@vipul, Not heard anything, but there was a lot of industrial packing cases full of parts on the piste yesterday, so perhaps they are doing some mods to make it as robust as it was before the refurb!

Today started with blue skies and sunshine, but I had to take a day off games as I tweaked a muscle in my back yesterday. Clearly, I would love to claim it was coming through Scandi Couloir but I suspect it was overreaching into the boot of the car for a box of wine. Anyway, much deep heat later I can hardly feel it! As I am having folks round for supper tonight it has made life easier stopping in.

The blue skies lasted nearly all day, so the Marmottes had a good first day as their eyesight adjusts from 5 months in the dark. however, some big clouds have bubbled up in the last hour so we may be in for a shower of sleet in the villages in the next hour or so. The Atlantic charts are still a mess, there is no clear pattern until well into Friday, so here goes with today's estimate. Tomorrow will start with a few sunny periods, but it should become mostly overcast by lunchtime. So it will feel quite cool in the shade. There may be some light snow showers just after lift closing for a couple of hours. Thursday will start overcast and there may be some light showers in the afternoon, as a slight south-easterly drift has set it may be a bit heavier over by Le Fornet, if a shower sticks again they may get a bit more snow than us, a bit like a retour d'est - but not a classic one. It will just depend how far the clouds penetrate from Italy. Again the forecast for Friday is very uncertain, depending on how far those clouds come, it may be sunny, it may be partially cloudy or it may snow, the further east you go the less clement it will be. Saturday may well be showery (some could be quite heavy) but really that's just a best guess.
latest report
Well, it was quite a nice morning, a few clouds about, firm pistes (or maybe a bit harder in places!) so I had a wizz round on my own to get some fresh air ahead of a spring clean this afternoon. I thought Bollin was up to its old tricks as we waited for 25 minutes early on, but unfortunately there had been an incident at the mid station requiring 4 pisteurs and a blood wagon. After lunch the skies clouded over and there has been a few flocons floating about, but nothing like the snow that some of the hAPPless were forecasting.

Over the next few days we are still in the non weather system continues, there is a bit of a warm front just to the east of us. Most of the weather will be over in Italy and I can't see much making it over the border unless it has one last shove. So very much, its going to be looking out of the window weather, you view east from the top of the Signal may well be very different from the one west at the top of the Aiguille Percée!

Without further ado, I think tomorrow will be pretty much like today, sunny periods and fluffy clouds to start followed by thickening cloud from lunchtime and light showers, which may be a bit damp below the Dam; the temperature will be pretty similar. Friday looks pretty similar although it will be a degree or 2 cooler so the showers will be snow down beyond Brev. Saturday,, well the same although colder again, the odd flocon may make it to Bourg, especially if the showers are a bit more intense after dinner, as is currently the thinking. Aprill really is quite cooler than normal, the freezing level is hovering around 1800m instead of 3000 or so, hence the snow pack is not reducing very much. Sunday - sunny periods and the chance of a shower all day.

Remember, look out of the window, look west if you are a glass half full rider, look east if you are a glass half empty!
snow report
if you were needing your skis tuning where would one take then in Tignes le lac? ive had bad experiences with poor tunes in the past
latest report
@Mother hucker, There are high end machines at both Sport 2000 on Rue de la Poste (which I use - but I wouldn't know one tune from another - but as its run by Johan Clarey's dad (Guy) then I guess he knows a thing or two.

The other one I have heard good things about is the Gravity Lab on the Palafour Gallery (about half way up) or just through the underpass from Rue de la Poste near Sport 2000.!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, cheers,
youd know a bad one if youd got one
ski holidays
Yesterday, there was a bit less cloud than we thought, this morning there was a bit more! Also with the cloud acting as a blanket it was the first night there had not been a hard freeze overnight so the pistes were a bit firmer. There was a bit of a dusting over here, perhaps a little bit more towards the western bits of Val. We did a couple of hours over lunchtime (in between end of season jobs and booking flights). The sun did pop out for a while and the pistes soon bumped up, and then it rapidly became gloomy and we have had light snow for the last hour or so.

This light snow will continue until to just before midnight and tomorrow will start cloudy, there should be some sunny patches before they fill in during the afternoon and the odd shower pops up as people drag their skis back to the hire shops. Another day for looking out of the window! Saturday looks better, sunny periods with perhaps a bit more cloud in the afternoon. Sunday will be colder for sure, as for weather - the best guestimate is snow showers in the morning and evening with a few sunny spells in the afternoon, maybe! After a cold night, Monday seems to be promising, sunny nearly all day but coolish for the time of year. This end of season cool really has protected the snowpack.
ski holidays
Arriving in Tignes first thing tomorrow morning. Staying in Boisse by can’t get into accommodation until Saturday afternoon. Where’s best place to leave car, pick up ski passes, get changed and hit the slopes?
ski holidays
The free car park in Boisses. Go across the roundabout heading to lac, round hairpin in gorge and turn right. Go 500m to end of road and voila. Should be a few spaces early Saturday. If not big car park at brev, park change, ski, ski back then drive to Boisses.
snow report
Another damp, grey and slushy day, not quite the nowcast for your last few days! We were surrounded by cloud, from Brev to the GM so the morning was duly knocked on the head, followed by the afternoon! There was a few brighter spells later, but frantic Friday, deep slush and patchy mist does not attract at the end of the season.

But tomorrow should be better, mainly sunny, not that warm, but as the last half of the night is likely to be clear the pistes will be firm in the morning. A few clouds will bubble up in the afternoon, there may be a shower of two later in the evening. Sunday starts with sunny spells and then the cloud will build up to overcast and there may be showers in the afternoon, depending if they penetrate over the Italian border from the East. Spring returns on Monday - sunny all day and quite a bit warmer than the weekend (but still cooler than average). Currently Tuesday looks mostly cloudy, there may be a sharp shower or two in the afternoon, making it a bit damp below the Dam Further into the week, temperatures rise to more like average then showers return at the end of the week, but the look like being rain right up to Le Lac. Be prepared to dash in from the Terrace with your beer!

Tomorrow will not be to bad on the traffic front, with 23000 going down and 24000 vehicles coming up into the Tarentaise. There may be a few jams going down if everyone leaves at once, if its a nice day they may well stp and and ski.

The weather will not affect flying according to the forecasts!
snow conditions
Weather today was better than damp, grey and slushy! Glorious in and out of the clouds, admittedly sometimes visibility was practically nil when the cloud did sink. Though to be fair we trekked over to the far side of Val in the morning, skiiing Tignes this afternoon. Had a blast all week, very jealous of those who get to spend more time here than we can manage.
snow report
@chocksaway, Thanks chocks.
latest report
When, yesterday, I said the pistes will be firm, what I should have said was 'rock 'ard'! After a cold night yesterday's slush had frozen solid and it took a good while for it to soften. But the sun was out, even if it was a little hazy in the distance. So not a bad day for a last ski around with mates before returning to put all the ski kit in the washer. I'll be around for another day and a bit before the grand depart oop north. The pistes down into La Daille were the best and still not a stone or a rock in sight which is unusual at this time of year. Although the group that came down the closed Triffolet and had to boot pack it down looked less than happy with their leader. As I type the clouds are thickening progressively, I suspect a light shower or two may not be far away.

The sky will start clearing again as the Sabbath approacheth and it will be a very cold night for April (-9 in the villages). But tomorrow will dawn bright with a few clouds about in the morning. So where the pistes have softened they will be bullet proof in the morning! The cloud will thicken again in the afternoon, a shower or two may trigger. Monday will be mostly sunny, with perhaps a thin veil of cloud appearing at height in the afternoon. On the other hand Tuesday will be cool cloudy and damp with rain or sleet right up to the main villages, give or take. Order is likely to be restored on Wednesday when the temperature will shoot up more to seasonal norms, blue skies and fluffy clouds. The temperature will ramp up again towards the end of the week which looks good, with night time lows hovering around zero then watch the snowpack start to disappear before your eyes!

Other than a few showers around London and a few gusty winds in Scotland that won't affect flying, travel will be just fine tomorrow.

Back to the washing!
snow report
We've arrived in Val Claret to beautiful blue skies just after lunch. Excited for our first experience here!

Can anyone recommend a nice reasonably priced restaurant or pizzeria?

Oh, and a reasonably priced place for a beer? Stumbled into a place called Grizzlies earlier that was not so reasonably priced! Shocked

Thanks!
snow report
@BRi87, congrats you found the most expensive bar in VC!! Try the Couloir for beer or restaurant, just about 50m further from the Grande Motte than Grizzlys. Or for pizza try pignatta (ask for directions). It's open again after the wood fired oven got a bit excitable
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@BRi87, congrats you found the most expensive bar in VC!! Try the Couloir for beer or restaurant, just about 50m further from the Grande Motte than Grizzlys. Or for pizza try pignatta (ask for directions). It's open again after the wood fired oven got a bit excitable

The sun was shining nicely on their terrace, I was like a moth to a flame Embarassed
snow report
Great snow this morning.

Slightly lower temperatures keeping the snow fantastic. Not a bare patch anywhere.
ski holidays
Today was essentially sunny, although a few flocons did pass by the window around breakfast time. So all in all I would have rather been on the slopes than cleaning and washing, but as its the AutoRoute des Anglais for me tomorrow, it had to be done.

Meanwhile in the village the preparations for Francofolies are in full swing. they are building a stage in Lac and one up on the Marais plateau. Tignes will be rocking from Tuesday onwards,

And so for the last forecast of the year: there are a few clouds building up and a shower or two cannot be ruled out in the next few hours. Tomorrow will be a day of sunny spells and fluffy clouds, the air will be a little bit warmer but it will feel cold in quite a gusty wind, don't cast all the layers off yet. Tuesday heralds the arrival of a weakening front, so it will be cloudy all day with a few light snow showers throughthe day, the air is a bit colder so it will be snow down to Brev. Spring returns on Wednesday with a marked jump in temperature, the overnight temps will barely be freezing so the pistes will soften quicker than this last week, so plan to get up at a reasonable hour and have a late lunch, because after that you may well be knee deep in slush on sunny slopes! A few clouds will lurk around the pistes. Thursday looks warm and sunny all day.

I'll think about a season summary as I drive north tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
@chocksaway, thanks for this seasons reports. Informative as normal, it does seem that you're finishing a little earlier this year, or is this just the affect of Easter?
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

And so for the last forecast of the year:

Well done chocks! I haven't skied tignes in years but regularly read your updates for candid and reliable accounts of actual conditions on the ground, thank you for making the effort.
latest report
@chocksaway, yes, great forecasting and general info all season in Tignes - for one reason or another didnt manage to catch up for a beer...........but as we are there at least once a season, there is always next year !

Have a good trip home Very Happy
ski holidays
Safe journey @chocksaway, . Hope to catch up next season at some point but in the meantime have a good summer.
snow report
Going to miss your daily reports
latest report
Thanks folks! @stevew, Same date as last year, but 5-6 days later than the previous 4. The garden in Yorkshire is getting out of hand.....

I have made it to Troyes, the major event being a soil (ahem) pipe burst in Lac 3 carpark, luckily it was between my car and tigskis, they definitely need to turn the ventilation onto high........

So what did I make of the season - here's a few thoughts, not based on statistical detail and some may be tempered by Peroni but here goes

Early season, not too bad, but a snowline of about 2300m meant Val with its gondolas had more open than Tignes, but that soon got righted making for a blue skies and sunshine Christmas and New Year. According to Meteo France, January was the coldest for 20 years and Feb the warmest for 40 (with 3 and a half weeks of virtually unbroken sunshine), a lot of wind early season though. We have not had any where near the depths of snow as last year, but there has always been enough, even through the Feb madness. On a similar vein the daily amounts have been manageable, giving good top ups for both on and off piste, mostly a max of 30-40cm which meant not many days of Avi Risk 4, so we got too enjoy a good number of days off piste, without being confined to barracks like last year.

Early March was pleasant and warm and it looked like the season low down would be over, there were worries about the snow lasting till Easter. But then the weather Gods fixed that with a good dump and the second half of March and April were much cooler than normal, especially at night, which has preserved the snow for the Easter bunnies and the marmottes who had a bit of a lie in compared with normal, I think.

So many happy memories, looking forward to being back next season. In the mean time I hope to make an appearance for the big bike race which arrives on 26 July.

Zeebrugge next!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, my favourite poster and thread ... thanks for another great season.

Enjoy your summer.
latest report
@chocksaway,

God's speed back to blighty & the delights of Yorkshire. Be careful with all that gardening you don't want to get injured
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Your reports are a must read. Have a good summer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy