Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For those who know Hintertux here's a short video of the red piste no. 2 that goes from the Tuxer Fernerhaus down to Sommerberg. It opened on Friday 23rd November.

http://youtube.com/v/5BgJyKn_vWo
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
how easy is to get from Innsbruck to the actual slopes in Kaltenbach? or from a train stop to the actual slopes.
I can see its just over an hour on transit.
Keeping all options open atm if there is a good dump of snow somewhere within around an hour by train/bus
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mr.Egg, from Innsbruck you get a main line train to Jenbach, change platforms to get on the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway which runs from Jenbach up the valley. Get off at Kaltenbach station and the Kaltenbach gondola base station is about a 300 metre walk.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Mr.Egg, from Innsbruck you get a main line train to Jenbach, change platforms to get on the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway which runs from Jenbach up the valley. Get off at Kaltenbach station and the Kaltenbach gondola base station is about a 300 metre walk.

Cheers.
Guessing there is nothing else in between west of Innsbruck? Schlick to the South, Seefeld West & now Ziller East Smile
last resort is Stubai Glacier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, Axamer Lizum to the west of Innsbruck is worth a visit and has a ski bus link. Check this link for more info https://www.innsbruck.info/en/regions/western-holiday-villages/experience/winter-sports/free-ski-bus-western-holiday-villages.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
penken opened yesterday and a metre of snow forecast for next weekend . hope that come true . snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any up to date first hand reports from the Zillertal?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
Any up to date first hand reports from the Zillertal?

This facebook video post is from today at Hochfügen. Madeye-Smiley
https://www.facebook.com/snowcardtirol/videos/2014576578608279/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink,
Nice video Alastair!
Hoping for cool weather from now on to preserve the snow they’ve got.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm down in Mayrhofen and its very cold here at the moment, sun has been out last couple of days but the snow is still staying around in the lower areas of the valley. Expecting some more snow over the weekend so its looking good for the season!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MayrhofenMark, welcome to Snowheads. Are you based there all season? Would be great for some regular snow reports if you have time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes I'm working the season out here. It's been great the last couple of days. Some ice patches on the north facing sides with some afternoon flat light but generally good snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi MM, what are you doing for the season?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looking at possible destinations for a jan trip - what is the position over the gondola (Kaltenbach) that had a rather nasty hiccup recently - has it/is it reopening?
snow conditions
@countryman
I was over there yesterday and the skiing was great. I was on the new gondola that had crashed and its working fine. Some great views from the top.

The gondola that had a fire didn't look too damaged, they said it was the lighting that caught fire and they're expecting it to be reopened just after Christmas.
latest report
Thanks
snow report
So we get into Kaltenbach today and are due to ski from tomorrow. It is likely to be wet to high elevations tomorrow apparently. I’d prefer not to ski in the r@1n of course but would it be wise to head up to the glacier to avoid it? It may be windy and snowing. Would it be complete white our up there?
snow conditions
@sbooker, The weather forecast is not good today and tomorrow, lots of wind and precipitation. Probably rain in the valley but snow higher up. Christmas Eve seems likely to be particularly stormy. Does not sound like a good time to be on a glacier! From Christmas day the weather should be much improved, fresh snow (at least on the mountain) and colder mainly sunny dry weather for the following 10 days. Best to enjoy all the Heiliger Abend celebrations (Silent Night was originally composed in the Zillertal) and be up early on Christmas day to hit the slopes.
latest report
@sbooker, windiest, wettest and warmest conditions look to be overnight and tomorrow morning.

This afternoon and tomorrow afternoon the precipitation looks mostly light, so even if you have to ski in the rain it mightn't be too bad.

Go to somewhere with a few gondolas so you can dry off inside them. And a range of altitudes, so you can go higher if the wind allows, or lower if the temperature if it's too windy high up or the rain/snow limit is lower than expected.

Hintertux is all high, so doesn't give you much flexibility. And a risk of it being stormbound.

P.S. on the positive side, the weather looks much better after tomorrow. Good to get the bad days out of the way first. Also, the drop in temperature at the end of the storm might leave a little powder and good piste conditions for when the sun comes out afterwards!
latest report
@sbooker, I seem to remember it being a bit more sheltered on the right hand side of the piste map. A couple of lifts to get over to Fugen are exposed but the runs down to Fugen from Kaltenbach should ok unless very high wind. Gondalas to get back up I think. If you get stuck over there the Wendelhutte (spelling?) is super nice. Grab a Zillertal beer.

For proper tree lines runs you need to head over to Gerlos but I wouldn’t recommend in a storm as road is prone to getting shut or you need chains.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, @sbooker, Just a bit of clarification to avoid confusion...
Quote:

. A couple of lifts to get over to Fugen are exposed but the runs down to Fugen from Kaltenbach should ok unless very high wind.

You can't actually ski from Kaltenbach to Fügen. I guess what you mean is skiing from Kaltenbach to Hochfügen.
We're expecting miserable weather tomorrow and. I wouldn't recommend going to the glacier at Hintertux. There'll be good snow there, but it will be pretty uncomfortable weather conditions.
Anyway, you should go to the glacier on a good weather day for the scenery. The views are amazing.
There are a couple of tree lined pistes in Hochfügen but if you ski over to them check that the link gondola is working so that you can ski back. Sometimes in high winds it has to stop. Although if you get stuck in Hochfügen you can take the bus and then train back to Kaltenbach.
Hope that helps!
snow report
@SaraJ, thank you!
snow report
@SaraJ,
Thanks for the info.
snow conditions
@sbooker, do let us know how the conditions work out today. Rain? Snow? Any info always appreciated regarding conditions.
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, Snowing in Hochfügen Toofy Grin
snow report
Awsome! One week to go for me.
ski holidays
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@sbooker, do let us know how the conditions work out today. Rain? Snow? Any info always appreciated regarding conditions.

Snowed hard all morning from the mid station of the main Hochzillertal gondolas up. Genuine dry powder above about 1500 metres. Fantastic snow - at least boot deep and some spots much more.
Will they run the grooming machines over all this lovely soft snow tonight? Or just some pistes?
Regardless the next couple of days should have good cover and good weather for taking in the scenery.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, glad that the fresh snow arrived for you today! Did you manage to find somewhere for your Christmas Eve meal tonight?
latest report
@sbooker, Oh yes! Hochzillertal will groom every piste that is officially open.
latest report
SaraJ wrote:
@sbooker, Oh yes! Hochzillertal will groom every piste that is officially open.

Ok. Thanks.
They leave nothing for those that like to ski in the ‘ungroomed’ snow? I suppose those can opt to ski off the trails but if you’re not a local and don’t want to shell out the (what I assume) is hundreds of Euros for a guide it makes it a bit risky.
Anyway all good. We’ll be ripping fast turns on freshly groomed trails today. Very Happy
latest report
@sbooker, In Austria many of the resorts have "ski routes". Exactly how these are defined varies a bit from resort resort but generally these are runs that are marked and checked for avalanche danger (but only in the vicinity of the marking) but only have minimal preparation, so ideal for those who prefer ungroomed snow but dont want to go completely off piste.
snow report
@sbooker, No Sad Everything that is officially piste is groomed every night.
If you're interested in some off piste guiding, next time you're in Hochfügen call into the skiCHECK shop next to the 8er Jet gondola station. We offer private lessons and guiding.
Have fun Very Happy
snow conditions
@sbooker, I think depending on the amount of snow there's a ski route (number 17 on the piste map) from Kaltenbach ski slopes down to the village of Aschau. From the end of the ski route in Aschau there's a frequent ski shuttle bus service back to the Kaltenbach gondola base station. Smile
snow conditions
We're heading to Gerlos in the morning, webcams look good, anyone around with some real life updates?
snow report
Mayrhofen was great today. Nice dry cold snow and nice weather for scenery.
Could any experienced Ziller Valley skiers offer advice which hill is usually the quietest? Much busier at Mayrhofen today than Hochzillertal was yesterday. We’re thinking Zell am Ziller/Gerlos may be a good plan for tomorrow?
ski holidays
Gerlos would be a good choice IME. Go up from Zell am Ziller and ski over to Gerlos (nice easy runs there), then a compulsory black to get to the next bit toward Königsleiten. Beyond that black should be much quieter. Then ski back (prolly a queue to get down gondola if valley run is not possible). The lift back from Gerlos is an interesting one, with an interesting mid station! (technically 2 mid stations, cos the disembarkation point is a mid station both ways, if that makes any sense).

Busiest is probably the Kaltenbach side of Kaltenbach-Hochfügen, so I always head over to the Hochfügen side when I'm there.
snow report
@andy, We're in Zell am See at the mo and travelling round in a motorhome, will be staying in Gerlos for a few days, maybe more if it ticks the boxes, cheers
snow report
andy wrote:
Gerlos would be a good choice IME. Go up from Zell am Ziller and ski over to Gerlos (nice easy runs there), then a compulsory black to get to the next bit toward Königsleiten. Beyond that black should be much quieter. Then ski back (prolly a queue to get down gondola if valley run is not possible). The lift back from Gerlos is an interesting one, with an interesting mid station! (technically 2 mid stations, cos the disembarkation point is a mid station both ways, if that makes any sense).

Busiest is probably the Kaltenbach side of Kaltenbach-Hochfügen, so I always head over to the Hochfügen side when I'm there.

We took your advice and skied from Zell overvto Gerlos yesterday. It was definitely less busy than the day before at Mayrhofen. The scenery on the Gerlos side was spectacular! The lake was a nice surprise.
The run back down to Zell at the end of the day was interesting. Some punters doing it should definitely have downloaded. Laughing
snow report
@sbooker, I think Maryhofen is always very busy during the holiday season. It may be marginally better next week after NY day but not much. Gerlos side always seems a little quieter to me. I think the Mayrhofen slopes are steeper generally compared to Zell or Gerlos which only adds to the feeling too! But it’s a larger town with more beds so Penken will be busy.

Thanks for the reports and updates. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your Europe trip!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy