Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
as noted above if staying in mayrhofen and skiing on the penken, Apres strarts on the mountain at the two bars at the berg station...Pilz bar is my personal choice, large umbrella bar on the right hand side (walking to the lift) red umbrella with white dots, loud euro pop and good fun, was still a smoking bar last year though, don't expect to be heard by the bar staff, ordering is more a mix of lip reading and hand signals...its loud!

the moose bar is the other one, it has recently been refurbished and is nice inside and out but is a bit smaller.

once down in town:
Ice bar - cant miss it, left and side as you exit the lift station...very loud, very drunk, only bottles no draft beer (makes for faster serving) basically a full blown euro pop nightclub by 5pm, goes on till 10pm when it shuts. smoking allowed

Happy end - directly opposite the penkenbhan, small conservatory style bar for more relaxed après, great people watching spot. can get pretty busy...you will do well to find the bathroom!, this is our normal spot for 3-4 weissen bier. no smoking

Brukenstadl - 3min walk up towards the ahornbhan...huge traditional barn design après bar, again loud europop and lots of table dancing and ski shots, all in good fun. no smoking.

Coup and more - nice bar about 3 min walk down the high street, cant miss it as it has some old single seat chairlift seats outside. Think upscale wine or gin bar, funky house music and excellent service, great food aswell, gets busy. no smoking

Mo's music café - nice bar...I guess you would call the theme New Orleans style? never really busy at après time as its more of an evening place when you will find great value food and good music. no smoking

Scotland yard - too far from the lift to really be an après venue but get very busy at night, traditional old English style pub set in what used to be the village police station and jail. normally has DJ's on mid week. has a smoking section and a non smoking section plus dart board.

night clubs...

Arena nightclub...under the Strass hotel, only open on weekends......never been in

Harikiri - most popular club in town, open from 5pm, gets busy around 9pm goes on till 3 or 4am....upper level across from Coup...cant miss it its a huge glass box which hangs over the side of the building, they have special nights which wil be advertised on a digital board at the door...normally bottle deals or girls half price thank kind of thing

Any questions fire away
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They don't do discounts for passes. Only get discounts if book package holiday really.
Arena is a decent little club with occasional djs but only open on weekends.
Bruck n stadl is best place for après party really (I would say it's more like 200m up the road) but Ice bar is ideal for convenience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MayrhofenMark, how are the pistes / conditions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bennyboy1 They're great. Was very clear all day today and everything has been open for the last couple weeks now. Bit of snow on Tues had added a bit more powder to the off piste areas too which was good cos it was getting a little crusty.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MayrhofenMark, I am there 9th of Feb, can't wait its my second time. Do you go up to Zell Am See much its the only area if didn't go last time. Just wondered what it is like?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard Coup & More has changed hands and has been renamed.
Heading to the Hof on the 8th of Feb, can't wait.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today was one of those days that you dream of. Bluebird powder day.

Spent the morning over of Horberg around piste 15. Loads of lines to ski and no competition.

Afternoon over on Rastkogel. Skied our very quickly but still managed to find some lines.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was amazed at how many groups were skiing under the Tux 150 today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never seen a resort so busy. Pistes were packed and absolute mayhem for mediocre conditions. Waited half an hour for a lift after it it was meant to close as there were so many people trying to get back to the right places at the end of the day. Some nicer snow up high and pistes were a fair bit emptier, but getting there and back comes with an extremely high chance of being wiped out.

Even with the upgraded Penken lift it's a bit of a free for all, it needs a gating system to prevent someone getting pushed into the pit, didn't the old lift let people in in groups?

Also a huge number of people and groups setting off without even a passing glance up hill, as well as groups stopping across the entire width of smaller tracks and pistes. Dangerous & infuriating!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Let's face it it's the weekend, maybe lots of Austrians. I was there today and had no problems all day. The most I waited for a lift was 15-20 minutes. But if you wanted to get another lift it was less. The wind kicked up at the end of the day and most of the valley/ penkin lifts closed. Basically you had a free for all of people heading down the horbergbahn lift. That said it took maybe 20mins to get on the lift so no drama.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are a couple of pinch points on the Penken. Most notable is the Larchwald bahn. There are ways around it by going up the Tappenalm lift and then one of the chairs up to top from there.

I have been caught with all the lifts except the Horbergbahn clossing in high wind at it was very busy.

Penkenbahn is busy but quick to get on the lift, just keep to the left of the queue.

Is it Austrian holidays at the moment?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah the Larchwald was the main pinch point. The higher lifts closed early "due to the earlier snow incident". Don't think it's Austrian but it is Dutch.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Much better day today but it's still very busy in places. Nice fresh layer of snow, although most of it has already been scraped away leaving an icy base
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The local schools are on holiday this week.
@Mounta1nGoat, Go out early tomorrow - all of that lovely fresh snow will have been pisted to make perfect pistes. Get to it before everyone else comes out and scrapes it off!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SaraJ That's the plan, should be some lovely pistes tomorrow! Does anyone know what the conditions are like in Hintertux at the moment? Once it warms up again towards the end of the week I'm considering heading there as I've never been
snow conditions
@Mounta1nGoat, judging by the forecast tomorrow looks the perfect day to go to Hintertux. Are you driving or taking the bus? Get up super early in either case.
snow report
@Bennyboy1 hoping to take the bus, definitely will, want to make the most of it!

Mayrhofen pistes were much better today, although it lower down there were wandering white-outs that closed in on pistes and left a battleground of fallen skiers when they lifted.

Much nicer to have fresh snow all day on a slightly less icy base! A lot of people are either worn out, don't fancy the weather or have just gone home, it's definitely quieter and I've hardly had to wait for a lift (other than the 150er, which is to be expected).

Tried out the local Italian restaurant yesterday (Pane e Vino, not Ciao). Friendly Italian staff, good food and good prices. Definitely recommended, but it's a bit cosy inside so either book or turn up super early and have alternative plans as if there's no tables before 6 then your chances are slim.
snow report
@Mounta1nGoat, we love Pane e Vino. Slowish service but great food well worth waiting for.

How was the hintertux today?
latest report
@Bennyboy1, we ended up in Hintertux a day later than planned as it was slowly getting hotter down in Mayrhofen and wanted to make the most of the Zillertal Arena down in Zell am Ziller.

Both were great days and both were quieter than Mayrhofen. Had a few pistes entirely to myself in Tux. Although yesterday in Mayrhofen was similar, had Harakiri all to myself Razz although pistes were starting to get a bit firm as they froze hard overnight.

Definitely recommend a trip up the the glacier while the weather is warmer, less icy in the morning, less slushy in the afternoon.

Just on the train back into London now. Good luck to anyone that's there this week!
snow report
Edit: Answers received in another thread.
ski holidays
Hey guys , we do our first day Sunday 24th Feb. , we are a group of Intermediates + , we need to pick-up skis and boards first thing in the morning so that will restrict our start time to maybe being at the Penkenbahn for 8:45/9:00 depending on the shop efficiency.

My question is , is there any merit in jumping on the train and heading to Kaltenbach the first day ? I want to do this ! we have never been.

We stay close to the train station in Mayrhoffen , also close to the Banhof. So Hintertux 9:00 bus would also be an option ?

Most of my group will be of the opinion that Day 1 should be Penken , I disagree , I`d rather be on a train or a bus rather than cueing , we can be at Penken extra Early on Day 2.

What I want is to be in good conditions as early as possible and for as long as possible

Any opinions on strategy will be welcome ,
snow conditions
Why not try the Ahorn on the first morning, loosen up the legs for a couple of hours then across to the Penken for the afternoon. Very Happy
snow conditions
Yeah I would follow BAJJ's advice...head straight up the Ahorn for the morning it will be dead and then ski to the valley and up to the penken for the afternoon.

My advice is avoid Kaltenbach / Fugen on the weekends (Fri inc) its the first hill coming in from the INN valley so it gets very busy with day trippers from munich and other areas.

As you say the 9am bus to Hintertux is an option but the Glacier is always best saved for a good weather day and by the time you get the bus and then two lifts up the hill it will be 10.30am before your first run, you could have had 3 full top to bottom laps of the ahorn by then
snow report
Except the home run, I trcalmthe ahorn being very nursery slope like??
Going with large group next week - really not planning on sending anyone there
latest report
Out to Mayhof on 9th Sat March for week, not skiing on arrival day as important rugby match to watch !!. Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the week...we are near station so happy to jump on train to visit the resorts down the valley as well as local...the group is mostly piste skiers.....thanks for help
ski holidays
Mayrhofen day 1, Zell am Ziller day 2, Mayrhofen day 3, Hintertux by bus day 4 (good weather), Kaltenbach day 5 and Mayrhofen for the last day.

Interestingly I head there myself on the 9th, staying near the station with a group of piste skiers, your not in my group are you........ Laughing Laughing
snow report
@BAJJ, Thanks for that, staying in the Berghof
snow report
@thunderer, Obermair, Keep an eye out for a bunch of Paddy's, building up to the big game on the 16th Shock
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BAJJ, Yes.....should just make it home to watch.....Wales will win of cause......I was born in Wales....but my father is Irish....so I could go either way Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
@BAJJ, I watched the England v Irland match in Mikes Sports Bar. It was 80% Irish in there. Crazy full. If you plan to watch it there, then get a place early. Lots of TVs but very popular!
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, thanks for that, we leave late on the 16th so should be able to catch it. Here's hoping for a better result...........
ski holidays
Just back from a great week. We actually done 2 days out of the 7 in Kaltenbach - its a fine spot.
Good reports only from all other areas , the Arena and the Glacier were perfect the days we went to each

Thanks for the bits of advice and local knowledge , everything worked a treat.
ski holidays
All types of bad snow on show today in mayrhofen, except wet slush and sheet ice, which I suppose is a good thing. 12 degrees on mountain by 10 am so no real surprise. Very little by way of brown so they must have a good base, so hopefully cooler temps will improve things. very busy today(sunday) which didn't help.

Going to try maybe arena tomorrow, mayrhofen had a bit of an attitude, extortionate prices, grumpy dismissive staff and lifties I'm sorry to say. Leaving with bad taste in mouth. Plus some of the pistes crossing each other at right angles in heavily trafficked areas was frankly bizarre. Finished off with a hike up the mountain because they didn't bother closing off piste when lift closing below. Which they also closed early and then ignored my requests for how to get off mountain.
ski holidays
Hintertux a breath of fresh air today. Cold grippy snow up top and white out from just before lunch with reasonable amounts accumulating. Probably 8cm on my car at base station and light powder. Decent accumulations higher up but a lot of powder on hard pack from mid station down. Maybe with cold and fresh snow will improve. A fair bit of pisting going on during the day which I've never seen before.

Great resort - always thought of it as just a few lonely runs on a barren glacier, but some really long wide reds, great facilities on mountain and nice table service restaurant. Also not busy. And much better value than mayr.
snow report
Is anyone skiing in the Zillertal this week? Would be great to hear how conditions are holding up. Off with the family in a weeks time. Getting excited again Smile
snow report
Temps looked fairly warm today and not much snow forecast for the next week but the base must be huge. We are heading out on the 30th, probably not much point looking at the forecasts so far out. What will be will be.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, I'm here now and will be staying next week. Snow level at about 1000m with some of the valley runs looking a bit thin. Temps up to 19 degrees today so by 2pm you're on very soft snow lower down. Freezing at night which makes everything a bit firm first thing but soon softening up. Off Piste pretty tracked out but we managed to find some good runs between 11-12pm that weren't too cut up. Kaltenbach probably the best of the bunch at the moment, have not been up to Tux this week.
latest report
@panaga52, thanks for the report. Looks like a brief spell of cold before spring conditions for a while and into the following week. Cold beers in sunshine Smile
snow report
First day on the mountain, spent the day enjoying the sun with the kids on the Ahorn, lapped the “black” valley run several times. Typical spring conditions, icy until around 11am then softening up quickly. Not exactly slushy but heavy but end of day.

Very very quiet on the mountain
ski holidays
Yes, baking hot, good choice not to take a jacket, but most runs held up remarkably well up the Penken.

Schoolboy error though first thing this morning when it became obvious that I had no salopets with me resulting in a swift 99 euro kick in the nuts for a cheap pair at the gondola shop.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy