Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Montets fire

Poster: A snowHead
"Personally I wouldn't say Chamonix is good for families. "

Based on last year's experience, I would disagree... now, I define Chamonix as the valley so I think it offers lots of options depending on your family. Staying in town might take more effort (unless you have a car) but you have access to restaurants, shops, the nearby snow park with sledding, train up to the Mer de Glace... lots of stuff to do.

Now digging into Aletsch which seems quieter but very cool.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ItaloSkier wrote:
"Personally I wouldn't say Chamonix is good for families. "

Based on last year's experience, I would disagree... now, I define Chamonix as the valley so I think it offers lots of options depending on your family. Staying in town might take more effort (unless you have a car) but you have access to restaurants, shops, the nearby snow park with sledding, train up to the Mer de Glace... lots of stuff to do.

Indeed, it depends. Clearly your family needs are very different to mine. Not saying that is an issue or either view is right. Just different.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair enough. Last year, we stayed in Argentiere... I would have to drop the family off at the Charamillon lift for their lessons and I would head back to Grands Montets to ski with my guide. It was a bit of a chore but doable. What was nice though is that we could make decisions based on weather. On one bluebird day, we went to Courmayeur and they played in the snow while I "played in the snow". Nice to be able to hop from Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ItaloSkier, whilst the ESF doesn’t (for some odd reason) publicise this, they often provide transport for their lessons. I had friends stay in in le praz, and ESF used to collect their kids each morning at 8.30, drive them up to le tour, and return at the end of the day.

They do this for grown ups as well. A beginner friend staying with us last year moved between le tour, Argentiere and Flegere, with an ESF minibus transporting her each day.

It’s by no means a direct substitute for ski in ski out, but can smooth the process a lot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Evolution 2 lessons are at GM and meet at the base, the more advance groups sometimes go off somewhere else but the beginner groups stay at GM. The loss of the bins won't impact on that much. Ref Chamonix not being a family resort it does depend on the family. My kids love the Luge and the leisure centre and we alternate between Montevers and AdM for an afternoon if they ever want time off or if the weather is bad. They've even been around the Alpine Museum so apart from the skiing the MBU Pass is worth it for us. We'll still be going once in 2019.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobH2017, you see quite a few Evo2 around La Tour.

Anyhoo, I have a suspicion that Evo2 and ESF will be modifying their programmes to make better use of the new beginner and intermediate slopes around Plan Joran this year (as in, why would you not?)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@RobH2017, you see quite a few Evo2 around La Tour.

Anyhoo, I have a suspicion that Evo2 and ESF will be modifying their programmes to make better use of the new beginner and intermediate slopes around Plan Joran this year (as in, why would you not?)

Yes, I think they do their adult group lessons at La Tour although as you said with the new beginner areas that might change. We always have a couple of private lessons in the week each to improve technique and they're at GM historically (over lunch).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobH2017, TBH I have no real idea where they do group lessons (I suppose I should in case a client asks).

I was rather surprised a few years ago when some friends who were out and more or less rank beginners were offered GMs for their private lessons.

Cue a swift conversation and agreement from the prof after the lesson that that would have been a Very Bad Idea.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always do private lesssons since they are MUCH cheaper in Europe than in the U.S. I can confirm that the ESF can help, at times, with transportation as one time my instructor/guide helped me take my family to La Tour and then we headed back to GM to go ski off piste at the top. ESF Argentiere was great - probably helps going during quieter times.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cham and Arg suck for families in Winter.

Valley is way too spreadout.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, you have never actually been here, have you?

(Rhetorical question, I already know the answer).

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had an email from cdmb saying that as a result of all the disruption including the storms etc affecting the ski area during the 2017-18 ski season:
1 the 2019 season/annual ski pass wont increase (I’m unclear if that means next years 2019-2020 pass won't increase, or the 2018-2019 pass I’m about to buy will be the same price as last year!)
2 we get a free day pass for a friend (effectively worth about E40 to me)
3 we get a free visit to a new wellness centre that would cost e44 but I’d personally value at about e5!

Edited to add - looks like they will cut a touring track from bochard to the top of the Grands Montets as well. I’m quite excited about this - access to lots of powder and a long descent, in exchange for a very easy walk.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.snowreportchamonix.com/2018/09/27/chamonix-winter-lift-opening-dates-info/

Some more detail on the touring route plan.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave bit harsh on the new spa, I went recently having never given any thought to one before but it was amazing! Very Happy I paid full price as well. Can't wait for my free day in the winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave,
Quote:

Edited to add - looks like they will cut a touring track from bochard to the top of the Grands Montets as well. I’m quite excited about this - access to lots of powder and a long descent, in exchange for a very easy walk.
PLEASE NOTE: experience and the right equipment required. This will be entirely off-piste and predominantly over a glacier.

I haven't seen many people attempting that route up until now.....a very easy walk???
snow conditions
Certainly not an easy walk. 600m vertical ascent up the front of the glacier...
ski holidays
@BobinCH, ok, maybe I should have said “skin” rather than walk, but having described it as a touring track I figured that would be self explanatory! About 250m ascent from top of bochard to col du rachasses, maybe 30 mins of skinning, quicker than the top lift on a powder day. Then 1000m of descent. This misses out the very top section from the top lift but gets you nearly all the steep stuff.

@Mac46, I’ve seen plenty of people take that route when the top lift isn’t running, either starting at bochard or at the top of herse. It saw a lot of use last year when the top lift wasn’t running.
latest report
Did it last year. Knackering 3 hour trudge for a desk bloke like me.

Truly pitiful that over a year later still not even an announcement from CMB whether it is going to be rebuilt, let alone when.
ski holidays
@Davidgdg, What?

CdMB / Chamonix Mairie stated in March it will be rebuilt (replaced). https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/mont-blanc-il-y-aura-une-nouvelle-remontee-mecanique-pour-acceder-au-sommet-des-grands-montets-1552323689

Timeframe is somewhat variable for good and sensible reasons. Lots of thinking to do about what and where.

GMs is the main focus of CdMB development...
latest report
@Davidgdg, where did you start from (and end) that made it 3 hrs?
snow report
Top of bochard to GM. 600m vertical. Rubbish skins and fitness based on typing in an office
snow report
Sounds like you had a bit of a sweat on... snowHead

Personally I think the most bang for buck is just to go to the col de rachasses.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@BobinCH, ok, maybe I should have said “skin” rather than walk, but having described it as a touring track I figured that would be self explanatory! About 250m ascent from top of bochard to col du rachasses, maybe 30 mins of skinning, quicker than the top lift on a powder day. Then 1000m of descent. This misses out the very top section from the top lift but gets you nearly all the steep stuff.

I don’t think it’s so easy skinning at 3000m but you are right that the col is a few hundred meters from the top and avoids the steep top section
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
Sounds like you had a bit of a sweat on... snowHead

Personally I think the most bang for buck is just to go to the col de rachasses.

Yes I was thinking that at the time
ski holidays
@Davidgdg, also, apologies for my manners, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Davidgdg, What?

CdMB / Chamonix Mairie stated in March it will be rebuilt (replaced). https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/mont-blanc-il-y-aura-une-nouvelle-remontee-mecanique-pour-acceder-au-sommet-des-grands-montets-1552323689

Timeframe is somewhat variable for good and sensible reasons. Lots of thinking to do about what and where.

GMs is the main focus of CdMB development...

Yes I did read that at the time but I was speaking with a guide in may and he said nothing has been decided...no plan ...and here we now are six months down the line
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy