Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chasing the Powder this season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@PowderPup, dunno. Text doesn’t wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, agreed. My experience is USA gets tracked out faster (except comparing the main routes in a few famous places such as Chamonix). Obviously you need a guide to find the untracked powder though, after the first day. Sometimes damp snow, sometimes not. Skied Alaska last season in early March and they weren't operating the cat skiing in Alyeska due to lack of snow. Heli skiing, most of the mountains off-piste were crust or breakable crust. Everywhere can be good or can be bad these days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops, only read the first page of this thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If everyone who's quoting heli-boarding over on the North American continent could post up what the total cost of the trip was, then it would be very helpful to those of us on a low budget who might be contemplating a 3-4 day long w/e road trip to the French Alps after a decent snowfall. Just for perspective of course wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slowboarder wrote:
If everyone who's quoting heli-boarding over on the North American continent could post up what the total cost of the trip was, then it would be very helpful to those of us on a low budget who might be contemplating a 3-4 day long w/e road trip to the French Alps after a decent snowfall. Just for perspective of course wink

And reading the TR just put up, two heli-ski trips, one to BC with breakable crust and one to Alaska at “rather huge” cost to only ski 8 runs of powder on the last afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If everyone who's quoting heli-boarding over on the North American continent could post up what the total cost of the trip was, then it would be very helpful to those of us on a low budget who might be contemplating a 3-4 day long w/e road trip to the French Alps after a decent snowfall. Just for perspective of course

Are you sure? the equation goes like;
No kids in the area; no car upgrade; no bike upgrade; no house upgrade; no questionable medical procedures, or even necessary ones; pull don't replace teeth; no summer holidays; drink cheaper wine...no, wait, what? f*#k that.
...then...
Significant pay rise, windfall, floating of your killer algorithm, remember the £1k you spent on Apple shares after the launch of the Newton or cryptocurrency or any other massive share vest, or, and I know this is a common one, parent death leaving sizeable estate.... and finally no Brexit reverse Midasing ( I know it's not even a word but there doesn't seem to be any reality attached to the process so who cares?) the pound.

...then and only then you might finally get to be deposited on top of a mountain and ski like the hero you always knew you were!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Themasterpiece,

Vs 7 days of unbelievable powder and proper steep vertical, pitch after pitch after pitch... with helicopters!

Difficult to work out the heli cost as we were in BC for 3 week, I’d budget maybe ? CHF 10k for the helo element?

Unbeatable value per vertical powder moment. @Mike Pow, I believe, although do not have the experience, that it was rather steeper than the steepest easily accessible Japan, (just before you say anything wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@Themasterpiece,

Vs 7 days of unbelievable powder and proper steep vertical, pitch after pitch after pitch... with helicopters!

Difficult to work out the heli cost as we were in BC for 3 week, I’d budget maybe ? CHF 10k for the helo element?

Unbeatable value per vertical powder moment. @Mike Pow, I believe, although do not have the experience, that it was rather steeper than the steepest easily accessible Japan, (just before you say anything wink )

😂😂😂

I don't doubt it.

I think you have to put powder at the centre of the wishlist 'equation' and then add in the other variables you're looking for from a powder holiday / experience

e.g. and not limited to

Variety of terrain - above and below treeline
Steepness
Length of runs
Vertical metres of descents
Resort based or wilderness based
English language or not
Travel time to destination airport
Ease of access from major airport

Then based on your work / family time commitments and available funds only you can determine which is the best Powder Trip for you giving you the most bang for your buck.

I've had the money to do a big N American Heli trip twice

1. When I was Wales based looking after my parents (mentioned in previous post)

2. Around the time of my 50th birthday. But based on the conditions that were prevelant at that time couldn't justify spending £10k on a trip which may or may not have met or exceeded my expectations.

I had a number of ski trips instead - Hokkaido, Georgia, Austria, Italy (two seperate trips) - all delivering powder which gave me a different experience and one which I felt, and still feel, exceeded my expectations and provided exceptional value for money. All these trips combined cost the same as one heli trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you've hit the nail on the head their Mike. If one wants a powder trip then going somewhere that can maximise the chance of new fluffy snow is the absolute key.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd still be concerned about sods law coming into play if I shelled out a lot of dosh for a heli trip.

Siberia is not cheap but there again it's not heli, but then we're not so weather dependent.

Just need to get visa sorted hence on the way to London.

One of the questions is list all the countries you've been to in the last ten years!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
I'd still be concerned about sods law coming into play if I shelled out a lot of dosh for a heli trip.

+1

That's why I chose multiple non-heli trips over one heli-trip.

Even if I had been skunked on one of the trips I still had others to balance the 'powder' books.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
I think you've hit the nail on the head their Mike. If one wants a powder trip then going somewhere that can maximise the chance of new fluffy snow is the absolute key.

Not sure if this is sarcy or not, but either way lots of people end up in resorts / operations which don't deliver the goods.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Not sure if this is sarcy or not, but either way lots of people end up in resorts / operations which don't deliver the goods.

Nope not at all and the primary reason I went to Japan for the powder trip of a lifetime. Whatever else I looked at inc heli etc didn't seem to get the frequency of new snow that Japan gets. Although when it hadn't snowed for 48 hours we started to get nervous Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Nope not at all and the primary reason I went to Japan for the powder trip of a lifetime. Whatever else I looked at inc heli etc didn't seem to get the frequency of new snow that Japan gets. Although when it hadn't snowed for 48 hours we started to get nervous Toofy Grin

Smile

Agreed. That's one of the major reasons I'll be heading back to Hokkaido for my 12th winter.

Whenever Japan is mentioned Quantity and Quality of snow is talked about. Less mentioned is consistency but it's this which takes Japan to the top of the powder pyramid IMHO.

I've written an article on it for the Niseko Resort Area magazine Powderlife.

Will post link once it's online.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy