Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Its still going to be an epic winter, remember those too hot days in the highlands in the summer when blasting on Loch Lochy in a short suit we thought that summer would never end. For every action there is an equal an op... snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
March 2012 had NO lifts turning at all in Scotland as all the snow disappeared - but it then returned for skiing in April.

No one knows what the good old UK weather is going to do - but the one thing that those of us who actually ski in Scotland (as opposed to just slating it online...) do know is that it's not definitely over yet....

Agreed.

My last ski day in Scotland in 2018 was 30th April at Glencoe.

Equivalent this year will be over 10 weeks away, plenty time for good snow.

..........having said all that, I was playing tennis in The Meadows (Edinburgh) with my son yesterday in a short sleeved t-shirt !!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@larry1950, thanks. Definitely pushes me westwards (not that I'm likely to go to CG at the mo anyway), though presumably there's a back way to Glenshee?

And I too, near Carlisle, have been out in the garden, listening to the spring birdsong, admiring the daffodils and other bulbs and buds bursting forth, pruning the trees, reminding myself it's far, far too early to plant stuff as it'll only get iced and snowed on... Honest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes @Grizzler, you can follow the A93 from Perth to Glenshee via Scone and Blairgowrie.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here in the Peak District it was decidedly spring like yesterday but me and @talbyem my 19 year old daughter were today planning a few days of Scottish snow at some point in the next 2 1/2 months before the winter is done in those sub Arctic lands!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glenshee last weekend was FABULOUS.
Checked my bases after every run.
My heart aches for all those good ski people right now.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple days of snow and then a week of rain ahead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
at the risk of being as grumpy as Whitegold, Nevis Range seem to have decided the ski season is over!

Time for Uplift! From Monday 18th of February our bike tracks will be open to the public! Both the World Cup Downhill Track & Top Chief will be open to ride! Uplift Passes are just £25 per Adult & £18.50 per Child. Winter Season Ticket Holders will be able to use there passes to access the tracks until the 1st of April! #NevisRange #FortWilliam www.nevisrange.co.uk
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are actually people skiing (or something) on the 50 yards of snow remaining at Glenshee

https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Awful stuff...............
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GreenDay wrote:
There are actually people skiing (or something) on the 50 yards of snow remaining at Glenshee

https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Awful stuff...............

Blimey... you get more of a run at chillfactore and that's saying something!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd guess it's a half term trip that was pre-planned???
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^^
Lets hope they get a refund if that's the case... Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you look at the Glenshee carpark there is a bus there which means it is probably school children having lessons, it was very different a week ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Braehead was rubbish today too. Mobbed & it must have been the stickiest snow I've ever been on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
at the risk of being as grumpy as Whitegold, Nevis Range seem to have decided the ski season is over!

Time for Uplift! From Monday 18th of February our bike tracks will be open to the public! Both the World Cup Downhill Track & Top Chief will be open to ride! Uplift Passes are just £25 per Adult & £18.50 per Child. Winter Season Ticket Holders will be able to use there passes to access the tracks until the 1st of April! #NevisRange #FortWilliam www.nevisrange.co.uk

I think it's just a way for people to make use of their seasons pass. I feel really bad for anyone who bought one this year, only about 10 reasonable days so far. BUT it is only just gone mid February! Fingers crossed that polar vortex that has blessed Canada will swing on down our way. I'm not putting the skis in the loft just yet Smile
ski holidays
Poor old Scotland. They just need the mountains to be 2,000 feet taller.
Bit surprising that this situation doesn't happen more frequently.
Fingers crossed for a change of fortune.
I think March is often better than Feb - this season it couldn't be any worse!
latest report
@Neil Neige, though climate is probably more of the problem than height. Height would help in terms of temperature, but would also mean even more closures due to wind or access road problems.

Proximity to the sea, gulf stream, Atlantic weather systems, humidity, wind, lack of trees and lack of snowmaking are all issues (and all linked to each other).
ski holidays
No Neil Neige, this non-winter is a very unusual situation - Scotland can normally be relied on for snow cover (at altitude at least) from November/December through to April/May.

Not to mention the years that the lifts have run in October, or when we have ski toured into late June. Hoping that this winter is just a blip - but haven't given up all hope of more Scottish turns just yet...
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
No Neil Neige, this non-winter is a very unusual situation - Scotland can normally be relied on for snow cover (at altitude at least) from November/December through to April/May.

Not to mention the years that the lifts have run in October, or when we have ski toured into late June. Hoping that this winter is just a blip - but haven't given up all hope of more Scottish turns just yet...

Weren't we in almost the same situation two years ago? Before two years ago, I think there were a few bumper seasons in a row.
I love Scottish skiing and have travelled up from near London in two of the last four seasons, and will come again this year if possible. Had a great Easter w/e last year and a glorious May bank holiday at Glen Coe two years ago.
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:
@Neil Neige, though climate is probably more of the problem than height. Height would help in terms of temperature, but would also mean even more closures due to wind or access road problems.

Proximity to the sea, gulf stream, Atlantic weather systems, humidity, wind, lack of trees and lack of snowmaking are all issues (and all linked to each other).

Good points well made, as they say! The wind is a major problem especially at Nevis range. The gondola was shut on both of my last two trips. Luckily Glen Coe was open both times. Guess lack of gondola access makes it more wind resistant.
ski holidays
It is an unusually not good season so far. Not the only one, mind you. Hoping that it can still get better, but the forecast is mainly warm, so I don't know if they'll get any base down again; possibly a few opportunistic days at best (unless there's a sudden change and pronged dumps - possible, but...)
Cairngorm might remain with something still useable up top - but since this year you can't actually get up there (bar walking or skinning), bang goes that oft- used last resort option,vespecislly for later March/April. Even Lecht, which also could have desperate possibilities, has been made hard and very long to get to by the roads maintenance folk (for us southern sassies, anyhows).
snow report
The A939 Gairnshiel Bridge reopened on the 11th, much quicker than expected. Closure was due to parapet damage by an HGV.

This has become a significantly more common problem in the last few years! Grounding vehicles are a pain but don’t damage the bridge, but long or wide loads that can’t cleanly take the corner to the immediate North are as they can knock chunks of masonary from the parapet into the river.

A weight limit was introduced to restrict vehicle size but it’s routinely flouted. Bridge was opened in 1753 but the council decided last year that enough was enough and its going to be replaced - though when is anyone’s guess.
ski holidays
@haggishunter, thanks for the update. I know that problem down here!
So we can now get up the back way, I assume? All we need is some more worthwhile snow.
snow report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-47337315/no-snow-for-scotland-s-ski-resorts

No kidding!!!
And:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47317825

I've booked to go away mid March. It'll restart around then rolling eyes
snow report
Just got back from The Lecht and managed just a day and a half before all the snow disappeared. I feel sorry for all the resorts this year as the season so far has been carp. I wonder why they don't invest some money and make the short beginners slopes artificial so they're less reliant on real snow? At least then beginners and learners would have something.
snow report
Looking like Scotland's worst ski season since records began.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Looking like Scotland's worst ski season since records began.

Without a doubt. March and April are good but I fear for them without a base. The webcam pictures are startling for February.
latest report
denfinella wrote:

Spot on, and if climate change switches off the gulf stream they could be plenty high enough!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peak of winter...

latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Peak of winter...

Worrying but, then again, Loch Morlich not a prime skiing destination!
However, only patches on the hills so fair point. Week ahead looking colder/snowier but probably not colder/snowier enough to make much difference...
snow conditions
Heavy rain and 3C in the Central Belt this evening...
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Heavy rain and 3C in the Central Belt this evening...

The west is pretty dry,wasn't raining much where we are just West of Glasgow that I saw. I was walking around Arrochar yesterday , a dusting on the tops but not much else and fairly dry.
Edit
It rained overnight and the tops are definitely white.
snow conditions
snow report
Latest from Glencoe:

It's snowing heavily on the mountain today and runs are filling in well. The plan (weather permitting) tomorrow is to have the Access Chair, Coire Pollach, Cliffy Chair and the Main Basin T-bar all running.

However please note the upper mountain will only be suitable for experienced skiers and snowboarders as expected to be largely unpisted and mid mountain will be pretty challenging. Coire Pollach thanks to the Snowfactory should provide nice skiing for beginners and early intermediates.
snow report
Closed due to wind today.

Can't catch a break.
ski holidays
Glencoe opened for about 10mins today, then sent everyone back down. Understandable, as it was pretty wild up there, though surprised they opened in the first place. Tomorrow should be much better and the upper mountain it looking like it has loaded up a bit. Hope it doesn't get stripped away on Thursday with a spike in temps again forecast and strong winds.
latest report
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Looking good today. The temps will fluctuate during the week but hopefully a base will quickly become established.
snow report
SNOW Happy

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=643222546101488
ski holidays
Major dumpage this week at Glencoe but the weather is a bit wild Skullie

Currently gusting 70mph..... in the car park Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-03-19 22:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Drove through earlier today - absolutely terrible weather. But loading up - back up Friday for the weekend which looks like it may be pub bound - shame
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy