Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kirchdorf/Kitzbuhel – Hahnenkamm - Saalbach Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, looking for a bit of advice for a ski trip booked for January 2019. I’ll be flying into Salzburg and travelling onto Kirchdorf in Tirol for a couple of days, with the plan to ski in Kitzbuhel on day one and then watch the on day two.

Following the downhill I’ll be heading onto Saalbach-Hinterglemm for the week. Any advice on the following;
1) Best transfer options to get between Salzburg – Kirchdorf in Tirol – Saalbach-Hinterglemm – Salzburg. I’m thinking car hire may be the easiest option but any other ideas are welcome...
2) What’s the best way to get from Kirchdorf in Tirol to Kitzbuhel? I assume local buses are an option and have heard it may be possible to use the train from St Johann (I assume this can be done with ski boots and gear). Or if driving whats parking like, any ideas?
3) Any tips for visiting the Hahnenkamm on downhill race day?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mooreski, I presume you mean Kirchdorf just to the north of St Johann not Kirchberg next to Kitzbühel?

There is a direct train connection from Salzburg to both St Johann and Kitzbühel. There is actually a station at the bottom of the Hahnenkamm. How practical it is for you to use not sure, you need to get from the airport to the train station (which is no big deal) and I guess the trains run once an hour. The train also runs past the end of the Glemmtal, it must be possible to get a taxi from one of the nearby stations (probably best get your hotel to arrange). However if you are staying in Kirchdorf a car might be the best option, I guess there will be ski buses to the lifts at St Johann (and the adjacent station) but it seems like a lot of faff to get the bus to the train and then have to do the reverse in the evening but if it is only one day maybe not so bad. I guess there must be Postbuses too. No issue getting on and off with ski kit, though skis usually go in a rack on the back or in the luggage compartment. It might even be worth paying for taxi transfers for the couple of days you are there as a car is not much use otherwise. If you do drive then there is a large car park at the bottom of the Fleckalmbahn which is free during skiing hours, dont bother driving into Kitzbühel itself near to race day.

I actually skied in Kitzbühel on race day last January and the pistes were very quiet, presumably many people avoid the place because of the race. Most of the ski area is unaffected by any closures for the race.

I have never wanted to join the throng watching the race (I guess you want to see the downhill on the Saturday not the slalom on Sunday) but do know that the train is the best way of getting there as a lot of the roads are closed. Skiing over from Kirchberg and using one of the car parks there must be possible too. I presume you need to be there pretty early to get a good spot to watch the race. Of course if you have lots of cash you can pay out for a spot in one of the vip enclosures.

I have a feeling there is a lift pass option that covers both Kitzbühel and S-H, it could be worth checking out as this might be cheaper than buying separate passes. You should be able find details in the small print on the Kitz or S-H websites.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munich_irish wrote:
@mooreski,
I have a feeling there is a lift pass option that covers both Kitzbühel and S-H, it could be worth checking out as this might be cheaper than buying separate passes. You should be able find details in the small print on the Kitz or S-H websites.

It's the Salzburg Super Ski Card.
https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/the-salzburg-super-ski-card/

It also covers the small resorts closer to Kirchdorf which you can access by free Skibus - St Johann (more mountain restaurants per km of piste than anywhere else!) and Waidring (the Steinplatte area crosses the border into Germany, also higher altitude than most others in the area).
As well as dozens of others - big and small.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish I do indeed mean Kirchdorf, it appears the World Cup Circuit have bought up all of the nearby hotel beds... The train wouldn't be a bad option but may work out more expensive in the long run with taxi's etc, I'll probably cost it out and see which works out best! The slalom would have been good but I need to be in S-H by then unfortunately!

@Drammeister Thanks for the link, I had seen some info about it but couldn't seem to find the correct website! Cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy