Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lessons for Autistic, Dyspraxic and dyslexic child

Poster: A snowHead
Interestingly Keira saw some videos of herself skiing from our holiday, her immediate response.... “why do I look so slow?”

Adding this to her upset over coming last in the race as she felt she was going fast. Starting think that maybe part of what we are dealing here is another sensory processing issue where her perception of her speed is very different to reality?

Whether this helps us any on our journey I don’t know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, just wanted to say that some times kids without any special needs take ages to learn to ski . Our friends daughter is 8 yrs old and has been going with us every year since she was 4. She doesn’t have any known special needs but every year she skies with the nursery ski group in the snow garden. I think she gets a bit uncomfortable with heights so not a big fan of ski lifts. But she is always happy and having a good time with the beginners. And she still spends time with her brother and friends ( who all progressed a lot faster) at lunch time and afternoons . Her mum usually manages to persuade her to do one blue run or two per holiday but that is it..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keira has just had 3 whole days of private lessons in Mayrhofen. I exchanged messages ahead of booking highlighting Keiras needs and they were happy for me to book with them and assured she would get somebody patient and understanding who spoke good English.

She got a lovely young lady Maria. Who quickly got a good report with her. She came out of every lessons very happy and cheerful. The last day of the lessons I joined it to get some pointers for my own skiing and to watch how she dealt with her for ideas for when we skied together. I was really impressed by how well Keira was skiing by this point.

Icing on the cake is that Keira really wanted to do the race again as she came last in the race in Radstadt which really upset her. I didn’t think she would be able to as she wasn’t in the group lessons but on the second day the instructor offered it and said she was welcome to do it if she wanted. The race is this morning, I am desperately hoping she gets a place for the first time in her life as it will help reinforce her improved confidence.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, my fingers and toes will be crossed for Keira this morning. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, Great to hear that she has had a good experience Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately they weren’t joining the girls with an appropriate level group just against each other. Ellie being not only 3 yrs older and no learning difficulties.

I am sure Ellie backed off to try and let her sister beat her, which I told her not to... any way Keira went down it beautifully. Results and medals at 3pm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just read this thrrad, as had not seen it before. Really happy that your daughter has made such progress. Well done you for persevering and getting the right instructor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
@NickyJ...I think trying to place such a child in all day skiing instruction is always going to be challenging. Half days would almost definitely be for the best, with time in the rest of the day for practice/play/time with the family.

Just on this point, my husband is autistic and he very much struggles with having to listen to people and do things "on their terms" for long periods of time. We did a two day outdoor first aid course recently and he found it very difficult and uncomfortable, and both I and the instructor had to ignore a lot of fidgeting and sighing and general expressions of discomfort (he did want to do this, by the way - he was proud of himself to have gotten through it - but it was pretty stressful for him). If I were to convince him to be interested in snowboarding, there's no way I'd suggest he did full day lessons; the being talked at and having to do social interaction for a full day would totally exhaust him. Obviously, autism isn't the same for everyone, and I appreciate that from a logistics point of view it's not that easy for you to have to work around half-day lessons, but if you still find that your daughter's struggling it's worth at least considering whether the full-day format is working for her.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Unfortunately they weren’t joining the girls with an appropriate level group just against each other. Ellie being not only 3 yrs older and no learning difficulties.

I am sure Ellie backed off to try and let her sister beat her, which I told her not to... any way Keira went down it beautifully. Results and medals at 3pm

Really glad she has enjoyed her lessons!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@juno, the “all-day” lessons are 2hrs skiing - 1hrs lunch which with the other ski school kids and had entertainment, 2 hrs skiing. The instructor engaged with her in a way to make it fun so that when she started to get bored she got her to make a snowball which she likes and then use that in her exercises for example. This is where it needs to be private and not trying to teach a set “syllabus” as the instructor can react to her needs and keep it fun.

Where we are going next year the all day options are significantly longer (lessons start earlier), so I think half a day will be way to go but my choice seems to be 2hrs or 3hrs. Anything beyond 2 in one go I suspect will be counterproductive- however maybe if we book 3 and ask them to stop for a hotel chocolate half way through may be better as that will mean two sessions of just under one and a half hours.... more research needed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you come by Zermatt drop us a message. We have a coach with plenty of experience and passion keen to help out at Subzero Coaching.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fedess, thanks. We won’t be that way next season but will bear in mind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, just read this thread while at work and it struck me that perhaps as she thinks she is going fast then some sort of
instant quantative feed back of how fast she is going may help.
It probably won't be easy to do especially if like my son she is very sensitive to how things feel when she has to wear them, but some sort of GPS watch/ phone/ device that she can read may give her an idea instantly of her speed and then give her an aim to better it and an idea of what it feels like.
If you have a fitness tracker then you could attach it to her in some way that she could easily see them great. Otherwise a phone in the pocket that the instructor or you could help her view so it doesn't get lost may work.
Anyway good luck as skiing with your family is one of life's great pleasures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pieman666, we have been using the Ski tracks app running in her phone and she loves checking that to see how fast she has gone. Her last set of lessons helped her gain confidence to travel faster which is now at a pace we can ski with her even if not at the same pace and her sister or is would normally go. She has a very cheap Fitbit style watch that doesn’t quite do that but in essence your idea is what we have been doing and is working.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That sounds great really glad it's working out as you know skiing with family is wonderful
snow conditions
@pieman666, it really is. Even better our next trip is going to be us, our two girls, my sister with my niece and nephew, my sisters partner and his two children, and my Mum and Dad. 3 generations all skiing together Happy
ski holidays
Very Happy
latest report
Both girls had a great time at Oktobertest last year and really looking forward to going again in a couple of weeks Happy
snow report
I will see you all there then, I'll be the one in the bright yellow helmet looking slightly confused trying not to buy more skis...
snow conditions
Excellent- see you there. Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy