Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powder House 2018/19. Yad Moss, Raise, Weardale and Allenheads

Poster: A snowHead
Always jealous of the Yad Moss massive. Yes there's the Alps but you can't beat England for a proper ski.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oneglove wrote:
Always jealous of the Yad Moss massive. Yes there's the Alps but you can't beat England for a proper ski.
or Wales, Scotland you know Great Britain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quick update on Allenheads. They're running the tows from 10.30 til about 4 tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drat! Don't think I'll be able to make YM or AHds opening day due to prior commitments (yes, I know, really should cancel) - hope it'll all be there (and even better) Friday onwards. Have fun, those who can get out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And....sent by email to Weardale members in the last hour Very Happy

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd: We have had some further snowfall and are planning to operate the tows tomorrow, Wednesday 30th January from 10am. There appears to be good cover and the temperature is -2c so it should be in good condition tomorrow. Day members welcome but please approach a tow operator before skiing.

The road is likely to be a bit icy so snow tyres or chains likely to be needed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The northern Powderhouse is fully open Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter S, And long may it remain so Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amen to to that!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chances Yad will still be open on Saturday anyone? Staying cold but webcams showing a lot of brown since it's had skiers on it today?

No new snow forecast between now and then unfortunately not !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We need a little top up before Saturday. Temps are excellent but we just need a few showers to drift across from the North sea tomorrow. Typical seat of the pants stuff. Looks like the Brecon Beacons are going to do well tonight Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BBC news is giving some hope for a bit on Friday, and potential load more for Sunday. Mind you, since when have I believed the BBC forecasts... Puzzled
Allenheads might still be a quick little playground otherwise, for those local.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raise had another great day yesterday and Yad Moss was quite good too apparently.
Some drone footage here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/yadmoss/permalink/10157149620835116/

Raise is likely to be members only this weekend so check their website first before walking up there.

Yadmoss just needs a small top up which the latest models indicate we might get. We should know by 6pm tomorrow whether we will run or not. Such are the vagaries of Pennine skiing. Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just seen your facebook update Peter. Be great to get up tomorrow. Hoping its not too busy with all the pent up demand!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also BBC weather seem to be showing heavy snow for Alston most of the day today. Surely not but nice if the conditions improve further.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It will be thin and grassy, but at least the grass is frozen so you shouldn't get too peaty in a fall snowHead
latest report
We had our first ground snow overnight (previously only on the fell tops) and Alston Moor has a good bit in the later early hours. Expecting showers through the day and overnight, so higher roads could be iffy till mid morning onwards, if tomorrow morning's like today.
I hope that the "pent up demand" have winter equipped cars Confused
See you guys there tomorrow, hopefully.
snow conditions
Beautiful bluebird day up Yad today. Surprisingly not busy. 'Interesting' Pennine conditions... rolling eyes Very thin cover on anything compacted into the semblance of a run, lots of icy slippery turf showing by the end of the day, if not earlier, good selection of holes, bumps, dips and drops to avoid or jump at your pleasure. The boarders were having great fun in the uncompacted stuff; me, not so much. But, hey, it was still a fun day out in a lovely location, and I stayed upright Laughing
Believe they plan to open again tomorrow, as are Weardale and, I assume, Allenheads.
ski holidays
Just Raise closed tomorrow as the weather is detiorating from the west.
Won’t have the sun Tomorrow at Yad Moss but may get some new snow after 10am on a strengthening SW wind.
Looks like the snow may be gone by Wednesday Sad
ski holidays
Trailer for ‘Life of a Mountain: Helvellyn’ Cool

https://www.facebook.com/544374734/posts/10156462193269735/
snow report
Cod Beck Reservoir, North Yorks - Ski Tour - 2 Feb 2019
- 5cm of fresh snow.
- Temp. -2C (reservoir frozen).
- Snow flurries.
- Fresh tracks down the reservoir dam.
- Good fun Very Happy

Weardale - 3 Feb 2019
- Thin cover - but grassy bits very skiable.
- Temp. -1C
- Snowed pm - but snow became a bit sticky.
- Two BBC staff there filming for Ski Sunday (may be on the last episode of the current series - or possibly next season).
- More good fun Very Happy

snow conditions
Looks like you had better visibility than over the hill than at Yad Moss.

Windy there today with new snow drifting from the SW in the afternoon making the tow track harder work than the run down. The snow turned to rain but then stopped about 3pm. The tow closed about 3:40.

Looking slightly too mild for more skiing in short term.
ski holidays
Quote:
Looks like you had better visibility than over the hill at Yad Moss
It was foggy at the very top of Weardale
Peter S - and the wind got progressively wilder as the day wore on. It was pretty Arctic with the wind chill...
snow report
Had a great first day at Yad on Saturday. Questioned my ability slightly when I saw the amount of grass but it skied lovely and fast and I enjoyed the various bumps and dips. Very kind bloke showed me a couple of the outer runs which were also nice. 26 loops of the Poma in 3.5 hours so I got my moneys worth I think and even better when the sun came out. Drove home with an enormous smile on my face. I see no one was joking when they said the poma lifts you up.. I'm 17 stone and it picked me up and nearly put my spine through the top of my head.

Also kudos to the maniac telemarking on frozen grass. Did make me laugh.
snow conditions
mancski,

Excellent! Well done for
a) making the effort to get there
b) getting 26 runs in; and
c) Very Happy Very Happy your way home!
snow conditions
@mancski, 26 runs is very good going snowHead
snow report
Thanks both. 100% will be back up when the snow returns.

Spoke to a lot of nice people (probably some on here) and I'm very grateful to the volunteers. What a hidden gem it is. I was surprised myself at the 26 but with no queue I didn't really stop.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Raise had another great day yesterday and Yad Moss was quite good too apparently.
Some drone footage here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/yadmoss/permalink/10157149620835116/

Enjoyed the video! Was that last bit in active track mode?
snow conditions
mancski wrote:
Had a great first day at Yad on Saturday. Questioned my ability slightly when I saw the amount of grass but it skied lovely and fast and I enjoyed the various bumps and dips. Very kind bloke showed me a couple of the outer runs which were also nice. 26 loops of the Poma in 3.5 hours so I got my moneys worth I think and even better when the sun came out. Drove home with an enormous smile on my face. I see no one was joking when they said the poma lifts you up.. I'm 17 stone and it picked me up and nearly put my spine through the top of my head.

Also kudos to the maniac telemarking on frozen grass. Did make me laugh.

26 runs at Yad Moss is at least 10 miles of skiing . good effort Cool

Pleased I made you laugh snowHead the secret is to think of the frozen grass as a halfway house between a dry slope and a snowy piste Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, I think of frozen turf more as simply terrifying; soft wet thicker stuff in between mounds of oft-hidden rough grass even more so.
Yet it has a strange, masochistic allure... Laughing

It's all gorn back to depressing muddy green now Sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
Thumbsup for effort.

Yall need to crowdfund a snowfactory.
snow conditions
Quote:

26 runs at Yad Moss is at least 10 miles of skiing . good effort

Pleased I made you laugh the secret is to think of the frozen grass as a halfway house between a dry slope and a snowy piste

haha I didn't realise that was you Peter, i'll say hello next time.

Yeah ski tracks recorded it as exactly 10 miles.

I enjoyed the grass and holes, adds some peril to the enjoyable skiing.
ski holidays
Raise is operational today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/
snow report
BBC was saying hill snow Thursday in Northern England......
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

And the usual high winds to go with it Confused
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
kitenski wrote:

And the usual high winds to go with it Confused

That's what the fences are for Shocked
ski holidays
@kitenski, yes, but no good if too high a wind to run the tow or walk up to the tops (or, presumably, jump off and fly down?).
latest report
Raise Trip Report - Sun. 10 Feb 2019

After two long ascents from Glenridding previously (we’re not members so can’t use the car park), we ascended from Legburthwaite (ie Thirlmere side) via Stakes Pass, for the first time to see what it was like. Going up was fine – slow going in touring boots and with skis on heavy packs - but the final steep descent on the way back was pretty awful. Very hard work and tricky underfoot. Not sure if we'll go that way again - though parts would be a great ski down with snow cover.

We finally got our skis on at the top of Stakes Pass and skinned up from there to above the top of the ski tow.

There didn’t seem to be too much snow, with hardly any on the fells around the ski area – but the value of the snow fences was demonstrated with fair cover on the main run. The run was narrow near the bottom but the snow was pretty good, with a centimetre or so of fresh on a grippy base. There may have been just about enough snow to run the tow, although cover was fairly windblown and undulating in parts. There was also a decent steeper ski about 100m to skier’s left (as you descend) from the top of the tow. On our return, it was possible to ski down to about 100m past the top of Stakes Pass with a bit of combat skiing.

The wind really picked up late afternoon to ferocious, battling-with-flapping skins level, at which point we called it a day. A good day out - if rather gruelling due to the amount of walking as opposed to skinning. Rounded off nicely with coffee and cake in the very pleasant Lodge in the Vale Coffee Shop/Hotel Very Happy.

ski holidays
Fantastic, thanks for posting. Always enjoy the Uk pictures the most.
snow conditions
Cheers oneglove Smile
snow conditions
brilliant photos!

Good looking storm cloud as well!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy