Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powder House 2018/19. Yad Moss, Raise, Weardale and Allenheads

Poster: A snowHead
Last day for the cheap pass renewals.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-12-13

Weather warning for snow on Saturday night snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weardale is planning on opening tomorrow if the forecast snow materialises. However, it's members-only on a weekend.

Update/decision at 08.00 in the morning...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The job's off Sad - snow turned to rain overnight and only thin, soggy cover to report this a.m....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looking more promising from 16th onward! Also good to see the webcams are back on at Yad! After 10 days in South East Asia I want nothing more than to strap the planks on for a slide!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mancski, I'm not seeing much in the GFS forecasts for any meaningful snow???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spaghetti ensembles look decent from 15th onward, progressively colder with good snow row above 50% for Alston. Cross model agreement of it going colder so hopefully get something out of it at least!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I need to get down to Manchester on 19th, and back again on 27th, and won't be up here in the meantime. Sod's Law therefore states..... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mancski, I'm not seeing anything "decent" in the ensembles even with my most optimistic hat on! No agreement in the runs, and too far out to be sure of anything..sure it shows temps dropping below average after 17th Jan with some runs but others have it above average and that's all in fantasy land for the moment... But I hope I'm wrong!!

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I agree nothing is sure! I'm just saying it's looking better than the crap we've been having!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
24cm forecast this week for YM. Weekend a possibility??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mancski, where are you getting that much from??!! All I've heard is a few wintry showers on the hills on Wednesday, maybe Friday, and pretty cold. Burnhope Seat Met Office isn't inspiring for more than a dull snowflake Friday and Sunday and sub-zero on the tops. Not seen Alston panicking yet...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow-forecast.com. 24cm at mid altitude. 27cm at the top.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no forecast can predict amounts with any certainty.

snow-forecast currently says:

Days 0-3 Yad Moss Weather Summary:
Mild with moderate rain (total 13.0mm) on Wed morning, Becoming colder with a light covering of snow, mostly falling on Wed morning. Freeze-thaw conditions (max 5°C on Mon night, min -4°C on Wed night). Winds increasing (light winds from the WNW on Mon morning, gales from the SW by Tue night).

Days 4-6 Yad Moss Weather Summary:
A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Fri morning. Freeze-thaw conditions (max 1°C on Fri morning, min -4°C on Thu morning). Winds decreasing (strong winds from the ENE on Fri night, calm by Sat night).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree no forecast can predict it but it looks possible, moderate snow sounds good to me! (for the first time this year)
latest report
@mancski, What you need is the GFS ensembles to be in broad agreement (this is what snowforecast uses)

Currently the lines diverge massively for both temp and precipitation so keep an eye on it, it could get better, it could get worse!

BTW I have a page I put together mainly for myself with forecasts, webcams etc all on one page:

https://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=YadMoss
snow report
Thanks that all looks really useful. I use Lineameteo for the spaghetti charts a lot. just hope something comes of this!
ski holidays
@kitenski, yes, thanks for that.
snow report
BBC (which is Meteo group I believe) have now changed their mind a bit and got some white stuff moving southwards across the N Pennines Wednesday night into Thursday; cold too. Maybe...?
ski holidays
We’re watching. Suspect it may turn to snow a little late and we may not get quite enough, even by our standards, but fingers crossed snowHead

By the way the Spine race is currently in progress over on Cross Fell. This is one of the uks toughest races. Basically the pennine way in 5 days, in winter carrying a tent. Jasmin Paris is leading.........by an absolute planet ! This woman is destroying the men. Cool

http://live.thespinerace.com/
ski holidays
Just googled Jasmin Paris and can see why she is so far out in front.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmin_Paris
snow conditions
It's snowing in Cullercoats! Fingers crossed we'll get some at Yad et al!
snow report
@Peter S, She is an amazing athlete isn't she. Absolutely nails.
snow conditions
some weather forums are now getting extremely excited for next week onwards and there are hints at a big old easterly inbound... thoughts from any meteorologist types?
snow report
Met Office outlook is more encouraging

UK Outlook for Tuesday 22 Jan 2019 to Thursday 31 Jan 2019:

Confidence is low for Tuesday, but outbreaks of rain, sleet and hill snow will probably edge southeastwards across the country, perhaps giving the risk of some snow to lower levels on the leading edge. Strong winds and wintry showers will follow, especially around windward coasts and hills and it will be cold, especially so in the wind, which will accentuate how cold it feels. Thereafter, it will remain cold and often changeable with further spells of rain, sleet and snow, perhaps with an increased chance of snow to low levels in the north and northwest, but with the potential elsewhere at times too. Some drier and brighter interludes are possible, bringing overnight frosts, which will be widespread and locally severe in any longer clear spells.

UK Outlook for Friday 1 Feb 2019 to Friday 15 Feb 2019:

Cold and sometimes very cold weather will continue as we head through the first half of February. It is likely to remain changeable too, especially at first, bringing strong winds and spells of rain which will turn to snow at times. Snow will mainly affect higher ground in the north, but there is a greater risk to lower levels too with the cold air in place. Some drier and brighter periods are possible as well, perhaps becoming focused across the northwest with time. Occasional milder and wetter interludes may intersperse the generally cold conditions, these most likely in the south but also posing a more significant risk of snow and ice.

https://www.metoffice.go.../public/weather/forecast
latest report
yeah I read that. They don't seem to be commenting on the crazy GFS runs yet. Hopefully get something from the forecast snow on 22nd/23rd.

fed up of walking round the house in my ski boots now... Laughing
ski holidays
@Peter S, there’s a write up here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46906365

Wonderwoman!
snow conditions
Heavy snow in Glasgow and m74 down to one lane over the hills driving South, but sadly nice and sunny as I'm approaching Lockerbie. Let's hope the cloudsand snow push South and East
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raise will be operational tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
There's a thin covering at Yad Moss - very tantalising, and the same at Allenheads judging by the local webcams. Hopefully they'll have their own webcam up and running soon.
I might still get a few turns in before the BB.
snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Raise will be operational tomorrow.

Weardale as well.

Weardale also seem to have quietly taken first lift served turns of the season crown for English Club Fields. A shakedown running of F1 Tow. Looked very Pennine from the photographs.
snow report
Fantastic day at Raise. Cool

Much better than expected. Quite deep very cold wind packed powder. Well below freezing all day. About 40 skiers and boarders up there today enjoying
Calm weather and good visibility. The Eden valley and Solway Firth were in fog all day. Always a sign of good skiing weather. Run of choice ‘Way out West’. Could ski back down to the top of the zig zags.

The tow will run again tomorrow. A few more showers overnight.

A decision about running Yad Moss tomorrow, will be made by 8am once we see the webcam.
snow report
Here's a video from Gordie showing the skiing conditions up on Raise yesterday Cool

Lake District Ski Club opening day 2019 from gordie
https://vimeo.com/313049183?fbclid=IwAR1vyaLjR7nuhm7HozrrltNXNk0S47ZF4KYU6m4yrevzmeb0gLFzf6KCIyg
snow report
Excellent video - & great to see the northern skiing up & running Smile
snow report
@Peter S, it's a cracking video but so many skiers sitting back on their heels, going to mean injuries.... Sad
latest report
Going a lot colder into the foreseeable future but already back to square one in the Pennines. Sad
ski holidays
Looks like good cover again at Raise and Yad Moss filling in snowHead
https://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/
latest report
Yad Moss opening tomorrow. snowHead

The forecast is cold tomorrow so could be fun....in that thin Pennine skiing sort of way Laughing

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/

Raise looks as though its picking up quite a bit.
snow report
Yes! hoping the snow later in the week also delivers. Will be driving up on Saturday for sure.

Peter I saw your facebook announcement, checked the webcam and thought that's optimistic. Starting to understand what "pennine skiing" means now haha.
latest report
Allenheads have sent out a cautious email announcement for opening this weekend too.
@mancski, If I wasn't off to the BB I'd have probably gone across too.
Fingers crossed for a bit extra by then. Have fun! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy