Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK or BC... Life decisions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

My family (wife, kids 4 and 6 and me), were in Nelson BC for 18 months or so, for the last two seasons. We've come back for the grandparents but are now very unsure that this was wide. UK seems crowded and not as we remember. My kids spend a lot of time talking about Canada, skiing and snow. I don’t want to sacrifice my kids for the sake of the grandparents but they are lovely people and will be sad if we go. My wife and I are both public servants, teacher and a GP, feels like the UK is not going to be good to us any time soon.

Should we move to Nelson BC (Whitewater) or stay in UK?

And if any grandparents are out there, what is your perspective, how do we soften the news?

Thank you for suggestions / help.

PS we have permanent residence, which will expire in 2020 if we don't relocate and the skiing is awesome. Best ski school ever for the kids.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You realise that this is a skiing forum?

I kinda guess I know what the response will be! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given the state of the UK right now, the ability to try somewhere else has got to be a bit of a plus. Especially if there's skiing in the mix. What have you got to lose?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go and fly the grandparents over on a regular basis, it's your and your kids lives not your parents.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Move if you like it there.
Amongst the best standards of living in the world.
With skype/facetime, etc. Its easier to keep in touch for the grandparents.

Lifes about experiences, so its a great opportunity to give it a go for a few years
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
Go and fly the grandparents over on a regular basis, it's your and your kids lives not your parents.

This
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
T Bar wrote:

This

As a grandparent: this +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
T Bar wrote:

This

As a grandparent: this +1

+1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
motdoc wrote:
... teacher and a GP, feels like the UK is not going to be good to us any time soon...

Laughing
“You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet!”

(Mind you, they’ve been making moves on Trudeau, so interesting times ahead for the canukistanis)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do it. You have to live your own life, and it sounds like the kids will thank you for it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am 7 grandmothers. And I say go - not because of the skiing (that's a pretty trivial reason to re-locate) but for your wider life style and futures.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speaking as a parent and a grandparent, I would want you to do what was best for you and the grandchildren - go for it!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 3-09-18 14:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Amunah, +1

I expect my daughter to do what she thinks is best for her family regardless of how it affects me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I am 7 grandmothers
Pardon?? Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I am 7 grandmothers
Pardon?? Laughing

REALLY grumpy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@motdoc, are you nuts?

If the family lived there for 18 months and loved it then I see no logic in coming back.

There are still some good things about the UK IMO but it's certainly going through a tricky spell!
snow report
I was in something like your kids situation at around 8 ish years old. Parents had moved to Vancouver and spent maybe 5 ish years there (I can't remember specifics, I was pretty young:D) before returning home to be closer to my grandparents and the rest of the family.

Nowadays - I'm very glad I've got to know my grandparents properly (one set at least, the others didn't last long after moving back) and there are a few other good things about having lived in the UK since then, but I really wish we'd stayed or moved back!

I suspect if you do go back, a day will come where your kids will be very glad you did. I reckon it's a far better place to grow up, and I'm fairly sure I'd have turned out a little better if we'd stayed!

Also, balls to the UK. It's not going to get any better any time soon... And get your kids canadian citizenship (like mine did, thanks parents!) so if they ever do return to the UK they've got options if the ship starts* sinking.

*maybe should that be "finishes" rather than "starts"?
ski holidays
No brainier- get out of U.K. ASAP if we could we would!
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
Do it. You have to live your own life, and it sounds like the kids will thank you for it.
+1
snow report
Best time of my life were spent with my grandparents; I still remember them with great fondness. Alas, there was never enough time.

If you make the move, be sure to spend the money on frequent flights. The way the NHS/social care is being managed, they won’t be around for long.
snow report
Just another +1 re go.

Nelson is a great place, can't see the UK being a wonderful place for the next decade or so to be raising a family with declining living standards and economic turmoil a distinct possibility.

If the grandparents voted Brexit even consider capitalising on that by implying that they voted you away wink
ski holidays
Unless you are living in the UK close enough to the GPs to make them part of your daily routine, then even a 300 miles round trip to visit is going to happen as often as a flight to/ from Canada ( and take just as long).
Skype (or Facetime), Farcebook, and a one flight distance means staying in touch have never been easier.

+1 to move (DotM's grumpy brexit prognosis nothwithstanding) and ++1 to making sure that visits are planned alongside the long distance 'keep in touch' possibilities.
snow report
Go for it, not only can you send for the grandparents frequently but you can send the children back to them for holidays too!
latest report
If I was in your position, I would be off like a shot. Unless your parents are very elderly, already frail and relying on your care. That would probably make me think twice.
snow report
Id love to move to BC but it looks to be such a faff trying to get registered as an engineer over there for one thing and obviously family is another thing that keeps us here.
Hubby just worries that he couldn't play cricket every saturday Confused
ski holidays
The UK seems to be in for a rollercoaster of despair with our current government and its fellow Tory Brexitmongers who will only offer a worse option. I have little understanding of Canadian politics/economy etc but with your qualifications it would be the better choice.

Saying that I love New Zealand but would never go back as I prefer the opportunities and financial benefit of living in the UK.

I do not know how old your parents are but if you leave it to long and they get into their mid/late 70s some pretty unpleasant illnesses can come along and if you are not well-rooted it is too easy to return. We had 2 x dementias and a lung cancer within a year and three died within returning three years.

Flights to Canada are decent and can all be done within a day.

Only thing you will miss will be British humour & sarcastic wit. You always have Snowheads and satellite TV for that!
latest report
Sounds like a great move. England is in a right mess and its about to get a lot worse . I'd go if I was younger !

A possible downside to be aware of, is that your perception of the area as a visitor will be rather spoilt when you move there to live by the inevitable local nutters that you haven't yet met as a visitor. As teachers and GPs you are bound to come across them !

However you would also get that relocating somewhere nice in the UK too. snowHead
ski holidays
@motdoc, why is this in The Piste?

The obvious answer to your question is do your own thing - as I did when I came from New Zealand to England. Overall, I don’t regret it, but there are times when I am homesick. But in view of what you say about Britain, I guess that will not be a problem for you.

Friends’ son lives in Vancouver. He’s happy, and has become a Canadian citizen.

Not sure that it will be a major financial consideration for you, but be aware that if you reside in Canada, your state pension will not be index linked. It is indexed if you go to the States - you might wish to consider living there. A friend worked in Colorado, and enjoyed the experience.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you like trees and blandness, then it's Canada.

If you like endless misery and self-loathing, then it's UK.

If you like money and center of the world, then it's US.
snow report
@achilles, the issue of index-linking of UK pension may depend on how long OP had before retirement. It may not be a problem if he has other pensions and time to build up a Canadian one. He has 4 and 6 year olds, which suggests he is not close to retirement just yet.
ski holidays
@motdoc,
<--- there's my answer snowHead

Being away from family is not ideal, skype helps. Bear in mind it is a long way for the Parents/Grandparents to fly, especially if you go to Nelson which isn't the worlds most accessible place.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-09-18 20:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, sure. I raised it as a consideration dependent on his situation. It has affected some migrating to Old Commonweath countries quite significantly.
ski holidays
I think BC, BUT and its a BIG but, you need to check out whether your qualifications will work. I think I know the answer and the answer is maybe with effort, especially for the teaching (if AB is anything to go by). I think as GP its relatively easy, but would involve study and exams I think? Teaching less easy, there is a surfeit of teachers and they don't seem to want to increase the numbers that much!!! Things could be different in AB to BC though. Do some homework, be prepared for the reality and don't look back.

Been here ten years and I find the UK very crowded, oppressively so now!!!
ski holidays
Thanks for all the points of view, especially the grandparents Smile
snow conditions
If I was bringing up young children and I could do it in British Columbia rather than almost anywhere in the UK I would not hesitate to choose BC.
snow report
TQA wrote:
If I was bringing up young children and I could do it in British Columbia rather than almost anywhere in the UK I would not hesitate to choose BC.

Mostly it is great. Education is probably the exception. School curriculum seems somewhat random and not as academically focused.
latest report
stuarth wrote:

...not as academically focused.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'd say the same about the curriculum in Sweden, and in many ways I think it's a better preparation for life than the UK's obsession with academic achievement.
ski holidays
Strangely this is one of the reasons we returned to the UK. Our 6 year old was not being challenged at all at school and my wife is a teacher. She was making friends and learning to go outside in -13 but these are different things.

On returning to the UK however she had a rapid change of mind. Clever kids getting distressed because they aren't allowed to write in pen. 9 year old kid came up to me on holiday complaining about stress at school! Teachers burning out / leaving as soon as they can. Madness. BC wins. We can teach three Rs at home ;p

It seemed there were many different options for women as well, building, HGV driving, whatever, women do it there, which is great.
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
stuarth wrote:

...not as academically focused.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'd say the same about the curriculum in Sweden, and in many ways I think it's a better preparation for life than the UK's obsession with academic achievement.

+10
ski holidays
motdoc wrote:

It seemed there were many different options for women as well, building, HGV driving, whatever, women do it there, which is great.

You mean those options are not available to women in the UK? Puzzled (or some part of UK)?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy