Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, thanks - have a good trip down!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
First time poster here and after some recommendations please.
Arriving in Arc1950 on 6th April; family of 4 plus 2 friends of the kids. Will have 3 x 17 year old competent skiers who we will let ski on their own. Where would be good meeting points for all of us to converge in each village? Probably just skiing Les Arcs side not La Plagne.
Looking for easily noticeable restaurants / cafes / bars where the kids or us can go on their own and spot each other on / from the slopes as and when we get close.
Many thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some obvious meeting up points, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "... the kids or us can go on their own and spot each other on / from the slopes as and when we get close." Do you want places where you can be seen approaching from a long way away?

If so, then the mushroom on the main drag down from the col du chal to Arc 2000, the Enfant Terrible under the Vallandry lift or the Altport watching the water skiing between 1600 and 1800. When we are arranging to meet up we usually select places like the Arpette or chalet pre st espirit with large terraces where you can soak up the sun and relax with a drink but you cannot see people on the piste from the terrace.

Sadly, though I have skied Les Arcs a lot (20+ days so far this year) with the exception of Arc1600 I am not an expert on the bars/restaurants actually in the villages. In fact I may have actually skied only through Arc1950 half a dozen times and only once stopped there for a meal or drink.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks JohnE for the prompt reply. I’ll check out your suggestions.
Exactly as you suggest - we are looking for places with large terraces to soak up the sun with a drink. In an ideal world you would also see people on the pistes at the same time so if we arrived before the kids we could keep a lookout for them or vice versa. However, if they are easily findable then that’s ok too. Just want some comfort that if we say to the kids “meet us at X at 1pm” there’s a good chance they will find it ok without me having to navigate them in by phone.
Thanks again
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
News: a quick 'dine and dash' visit now being progressed - transport organised - will be on the slopes, 9th - 11th April. Me and Mini-Roll. Maybe catch up with you guys? ( your turn to visit my end of the domain!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@eggman99, in which case, the Bulle, aka Mushroom as above, is the place to go. Just above the Arcabulle lift in 2000 bowl. Sit outside and watch the world go by in the best value place on the mountain. Bootiful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, I decided to leave at the end of play on the 6th. Sorry I will miss you
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys.
So got Bulle above 2000, Altiport by water ski, Enfant Teribble at top of Vallandry, Pre St Esprit at bottom of Vallee l’Arc.
Any tips for places actually at bottom of slopes or near lift entrances in villages (1600, 1800, 1950, 2000, Vallandry, Plan Peisey?)
Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@eggman99, as a 1950 person:

Luigi's terrace in 1950 overlooks the Marmotte slope, so can watch the skiers; tends to have live music late afternoon during the April time but isn't cheap.
Nonna Lisa, the Pizza place next to it also does lunchtime drinks etc on the terrace, but is quite a small terrace, so may be full and hence you'd have to go somewhere else, and thus re-organise and the faff that goes with that...

Most recognisable is Meli's Snack bar (burgers, dogs, chips...) see: https://www.arc1950.com/en/live-from-the-village-webcams-weather.html it's the one right in front of you on the webcam!

My recommended favourite is the Wood Bear Cafe, which is opposite the entrance to Manoir Savoie. You will only get those people skiing through the village going past you, but if you've arranged to meet there, there won't be any problem spotting people. Is also next door to Georges Wine Bar, which is where you'll find me for the evenings of 9th - 11th...

To be honest, 1950 is quite compact, and all the bars have outside areas that you ski to/past: it's advertised as "shopping with skis on". For the end-of-day runs, I'd try a few out, pick your favourite, and you won't miss anyone! I'll let the others advise on bars in the other villages.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@eggman99, I quite like the smoking boar (Le Sanglier Qui Fume) just above Arc1600 and if you want a really cheap lunch the Rocky Mountain at the bottom of the steps below the Combettes lift does burger, chips and a beer for, IIRC, 13 euros which is more than I can eat for lunch. For more space and a good view down to Bourg st Maurice the Cairn in the square of 1600 is good and friendly, but you have to walk into the village from the bottom of the cachette piste. Le Panoramic
at the bottom of the Trois Arcs building has a similar view and you can watch the piste above. For some reason I rarely go there.

There are a few bars and resaurants coming down to 1800 such as the Aiguille Grive (which for some reason I find hard to find) It has been a couple years since I have visited any of them.

In Vallandry I quite like the Relix reastaurant just by the Vallandry lift and the Hotel Vanoise just above the Peissey lift.

Sadly I don't really know 2000 and 1950 that well but there are other experts around who know these villages well and can advise
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, knowing that you are 'local' to 1950 and have kindly responded to questions I've asked before....

Do you know if you can order/reserve baguettes and croissants daily to take back to our apartment for breakfast anywhere in 1950 ?

We (hopefully) arrive on the 13th if Brexit doesn't complete screw things up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richie_S, not sure you can reserve anywhere (Maybe buy Sebastien owner of the Wood Bear sufficient beers to make friends...they do breakfasts in the cafe, so have a supply. They also do a "full English" if you are missing that treat).

But the bakery (l'Arc Dore, opposite the supermarket) opens at 7:30am for all the fresh stuff. The queueing is better organised this season than last (when web-cam watching was the way to go). 2 people fulfilling orders, one on the till, and one bringing stuff out from the ovens.

But you can still get the odd crazy ordering 5 breakfasts, arguing over little Johnny having a chocolate croissant, remembering that they also wanted some lunch, dithering over raspberry or strawberry in their tea-time meringue, then insisting on searching through their purse for the exact number of cents... which backs the whole thing up.

Send the kids to practice speaking French (admittedly limited to "deux baguettes et trois croissants svp" & "c'est combien?") while you have a final 10 mins in bed!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eggman99, as an 1800 person: Nowhere comes to mind as having a large terrace and being exposed to the pistes in 1800. Someone will probably correct me shortly. The Lodge above the centre might fit but I'm not sure what they're serving there this year - it's running at half speed at the moment before apparently becoming a Folie Douce next year.

1800 is multiple villages in itself. There is somewhere in Chantel by the top of the short Dahu lift from the centre - I don't know what it's like. In Charvet I recommend Chez Bou Bou, which has some seating outside. In Villards you could try the English run Bar King Mad.

Another vote for the Altiport if you're staying in 1600 or 1800 as you can ski back from there without needing any lifts. You can sit and admire people skiing across the water. The loudest applause is generally reserved for those who don't make it snowHead .

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 26-03-19 19:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A cool breeze today helped the snow stay largely in good condition for much of the day before it got a bit slushy. One or two pistes very solid hard pack in places but the majority of stuff I skied today was in very good condition.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, thanks! Up early and straight to L’Arc Dore it is then!

@eggman99, someone with this seasons knowledge may correct me, but there is a newish place half way up the pistes just above 1800 underneath the Transarc which has a good terrace piste side. It previously did great noodles straight from the wok. Might be suitable.

Can’t recall the piste off hand, but I’ll check the piste map and advise shortly.
ski holidays
Chalet Grillette off the wide blue Grand Melezes, down from the mid station of the transarcs.

https://en.lesarcs.com/going-out-arc-1800-bars-restaurants/chalet-grillette.html
snow conditions
Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions folks. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Richie_S, ah! I remember it now. It was constructed the same time as the smoking boar, which it resembles. I think I went in once, but it is on a piste I rarely use (probably the most boring piste in the resort) so it slipped my mind.

It meets @eggman99's requirements well
snow conditions
@johnE, wok noodles make a nice change...regarding the piste, I can only say I've used it as a method to traverse from Vallandry area back to 1600 but I'm not sure it's 'that' bad - wide open and you can find your own space as you meander down to the uplifts in 1800.

There are more tedious pistes ...Top of Plan Vert? Or any of the Valee d'l arc blues in the 2000 bowl.?
latest report
Hi all, just booked a last minute trip to Arc2000 from 6th April. I’ve never skied this late in a season before, so that will be an experience... and never skied Les Arcs before.

This might be a strange question, but at this time of year, which is the EASIEST black run in the resort?
It’s my wife’s 50th birthday this year, and she is doing ‘50 new experiences’, and while she is happy skiing Red runs, she has never done a Black. I intend checking out the run first, and then if it is in her competence then she can do a second pass with me.

We all know that black is just a colour on the map, and some blacks are easier (in the right conditions) than some blues (in the wrong conditions), but it is a psychological thing to ‘do a black’.

Which would the panel recommend?
snow conditions
@jamescollings, ah: you have some fun to come!

Probably the "easiest" is the one from the top of the cable car, the Aguille Rouge. Since it is a shared black and red for the majority of the run, only the top 300m is really a black. It may be a good place to start, It shows black on the map all the way down to the top of the Lanchettes lift, but it really isn't. Nevertheless, I say it qualifies as bucket list black, since it has been marked that way for some considerable time.

Do NOT get seduced in branching off that route (or indeed the Arandelieres fork) onto Robert Blanc -possibly the toughest in the domain - , Genepi, Crete, Dou de L'homme, Lanches or Droset, although you may choose to scout them first to test your own capabilities, they are not for the faint hearted

If confidence is good, then the Refuge, from the top of Grand Col can be exciting, cerrtainly if Mrs JC is comfortable in moguls.

Rouelles over towards 1600 can be good, and has the advantage of a blue road crossing it half way down which means you can bail if things are getting too much.
If the sun is out for a few days in a row, then right over the other end, Ecureuils can be softened up, but wait til lunchtime - it is in the trees, and can stay quite hard quite late if the sun doens't get through.

At this time of year, avoid Combouciere, which as well as being mogulled and steep and narrow, will have signficant bare patches. Let's call it 'a challenge'

HTH
snow report
+1 for Ecureuils, even better if you pick it up from the top of the Peisey lift rather than the Grizzly. Hasn't tended to be particularly mogulled whenever i've been down it.

Per Arctic Roll, at this time of year you'll want to wait til later in the day after it has had chance to soften up.

Regarding Aguille Rouge, it was the first black i took my children on last year (9 and 12). Again, I'd recommend missing out the 'first' bit - you walk past it direct off the cable car on the left, and it can appear intimidating. Instead, walk on past (taking your 'highest point in resort' pictures with Mont Blanc's majesty in the background) and then take the beginning of the red Arandelieres which snakes down a few 100m avoiding the beginning of the black before the piste opens up wide and traverses off to the right.
snow report
Thanks for the detailed suggestions... exactly what I was hoping for. The bit about Mrs JC being comfortable with moguls.... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
You’d hear the swearing all the way back here in Blighty!!
snow report
Richie_S wrote:
I'd recommend missing out the 'first' bit - you walk past it direct off the cable car on the left, and it can appear intimidating.

Particularly intimidating if the person ahead of you does the whole section inverted Shocked . In fact, it's not usually as bad as it looks.
snow conditions
@Alastair, Very Happy

i prefer to ease into a black run... That sort of drop in from zero to 'Aaaarrrgghhhhh' I don't find quite so appealing these days.
ski holidays
Richie_S wrote:
....Regarding Aguille Rouge, it was the first black i took my children on last year (9 and 12). Again, I'd recommend missing out the 'first' bit - you walk past it direct off the cable car on the left, and it can appear intimidating. Instead, walk on past (taking your 'highest point in resort' pictures with Mont Blanc's majesty in the background) and then take the beginning of the red Arandelieres which snakes down a few 100m avoiding the beginning of the black before the piste opens up wide and traverses off to the right.

Having experienced the 'red' up there with a full cable car load on it once we prefer the black, yes it is steep but its quiet and worst case you can slide it. Done it boards and skis and much prefer it to the red or if you want to do the red let everyone go 1st.
snow conditions
@jamescollings, just seen that Droset and Combouciere are apparently closed now for the rest of the season. So there's a couple you won't accidentally get stuck on!

Refuge (Grand Col) is actually Mrs ARs favourite 'signature' run: once she's done that she feels that a week's skiing has been good. But yes, the bumps can be the size of buried VW Beetles (which can of course be advantagous as there are lots of flat bits on the piste AND you aren't expected to ski them in one hit...)

The other one worth scouting is "Bosses": yes, I know, it means 'bumps', but is occasionally pisted. It is the course of an old drag next to the current Derby lift. It is quite short - in fact, 'very short' by comparison with the others - and has exit routes back to both blue amd red pistes either side: although that does require some tree skiing. You also go over the top of it on the Derby lift, so can check it before committing.
ski holidays
@jamescollings, I tend to agree with the rest of the posters - refuge is an easy black, bosses when its been pisted is straightforward and even if it hasn't then the bumps are managable. I wonder why Ecureuils is a black. Combe, the red next to it can be more challenging, but I do suggest you scout it out first as it can have patches of ice on it, and I mean ice not compacted snow but blue hard water ice that is impossible to do anything on other than go straight down. However I do have one further suggestion - Muguet. If you just want to claim a black piste then this is the one. It is short, and almost always pisted smooth which is very unusual for a black where the vast majority are allowed to develop bumps. I suspect it was only graded black because it led into Combourciere (a genuine black) but now it joins secret, a red. Do it quickly before it becomes a red.

Incidently I arrived today and went out this afternoon for a pootle about. The pistes are in excellent condition and even at 5pm were not too painful down to Arc1600
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, I don't disagree. Normally thou, we have spent so much time faffing at the top admiring the view etc. that the crowds have gone, and we are just ahead of the NEXT cable car coming in... so it's been quieter.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, is the Combourciere lift still open? i was hoping to still be able to use that (even if it involves a short stroll across the grass at the bottom of Pre-St Esprit to get there) for a morning circuit from 1950 over to 1600, 1800 and then back to 1950 to collect the kids from ski school...
snow report
@Richie_S,
Comborciere is indeed open still and the new lift is right next to the Pre St Esprit so no walk/pole required anymore Little Angel
ski holidays
Agree with all comments about blacks. One of main reasons Les Arcs is my joint favourite resort is high quality challenging blacks. There are many many resorts with much easier blacks so if your wife doesn't do any blacks this time she shouldn't feel bad. (If bosses is posted though it's more like a blue!). You can (I usually do) go off the sides of blacks where snow is nicer and less mogulled. Maybe get her a private lesson with esf instructor who will bring her down black or side of black depending on snow condition and how she is skiing?
ski holidays
@Richie_S, combourcier lift is open and as an important connecting lift I suspect will stay open until the end of the season.

I not sure why the piste of the same name is closed. It looked in good condition to me but now secret is there they do seem rather keen to close it.

I skied down to pre st espirit late yesterday afternoon and there was plenty of snow and it was quite firm. You will not have any problems on your circuit.
snow report
If you like smooth uncrowded pistes with a blazing sun then today is ideal for you.
I'm sitting on the terrace of the hotel vanoise watch parapointes glide by and the occasional skier go by on the peisey lift.
Life doesn't get much better.
latest report
Steak and chips just set me back 13 euros. It was very good.
ski holidays
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, @johnE,

Thanks that’s all good to hear. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi.

Arriving in 1950 on Sat 6th April about 11pm after hire car drive from Lyon airport. See that big snow is forecast for Thursday and a bit on Wednesday and Friday. Couple of questions, assuming the forecast stays correct and we are not delayed:
1. How likely is the road from BSM to 1950 to be cleared of snow?
2. Are there any live resources for road conditions like English speaking radio or websites we can check at the time?

Have provisionally booked a cheap hotel at Lyon airport for the night in case it’s bad. Can cancel 24hrs before as would prefer to maximise time in resort but wouldn’t fancy a midnight drive up an icy mountain road if it’s bad.
Any good travel advice gratefully received thanks
latest report
In my experience, the road up to 1950 is kept clear in all but the worst of conditions. I'm sure if you have winter tyres on, you won't have a problem.
snow report
@eggman99, We have used this for years and it is very accurate as a forecast. If this stays as it then you won't have an issue. At this time of year even up high if heavy snow the roads clear pretty easily

https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
@eggman99, Unless it snows on the Saturday I'd say you'll be fine. In fact unless it is a huge Saturday evening dump I wouldn't be too concerned.
Any overnight dumpage from the weekdays will have been cleared, and the road will have had heavy usage throughout the day (transfer coaches tend to help in this regard).

You could ask the main reception at 1950 for updates and conditions - they're pretty good at keeping the guests happy: I'd suggest giving them a call on the Friday (just before your 24 hours expires!) at +33.4.79.04.19.50

Alternatively, a resource to try is radio les arcs (R' Les Arcs) which has English news & weather (including road updates when things are bad) every hour through the mornings at approximately xx:35. May be helpful on the Friday or Saturday morning? http://www.laradiostation.fr/player.php?radio=rlesarcs

If your French is good enough you can listen to piste reports as well, from on-site residents and reporters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy