Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, Laughing The lift is called Pre St Esprit (eponymous means "named after").

Shall we just pretend that hasn’t just happened lol
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, Laughing The lift is called Pre St Esprit (eponymous means "named after").

Shall we just pretend that hasn’t just happened lol
Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both the Pre St Espirit and the Le Sanglier qui Fume are good choices in both the food is good and the service cheerful and swift. The waiter served part of the Arpette (with the fire) ios also worth a visit. For an evenning meal I can also reccomend the Arpette, but only if you are capable of skiing in the dark while having had a bit to drink.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looking at the forecast - some models have 1.5m before and mostly during our Les Arcs long weekend. Packing the wide ones Laughing! We have a mixed group and we’ll head for the trees lots but any tips re higher Les Arcs areas that are any more sheltered or difference if going La Plagne side if it’s barfing snow, or best tree spots if we promise not to track them too much Blush
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Does the Arpette do evening meals that aren't the set fondue, raclette or hot stone? We have avoided it in recent years but if there are other choices may well return.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ricklovesthepowder, Dont worry I'm on the same bus as you.... snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wills_h, sadly it does not, but at 30 euros including vin chaud and a glass of wine I think it is good value.
I'll be there Wednesday night
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to say I'm on the tunnel at should get to les arcs 9 ish tonight
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dgschof wrote:
Just looking at the forecast - some models have 1.5m before and mostly during our Les Arcs long weekend. Packing the wide ones Laughing! We have a mixed group and we’ll head for the trees lots but any tips re higher Les Arcs areas that are any more sheltered or difference if going La Plagne side if it’s barfing snow, or best tree spots if we promise not to track them too much Blush

In a whiteout I'd always stay below the tree line. Either side of the Vanoise Express is good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I think the last time we went my sister managed to give herself rather violent food poisoning by not cooking the chicken enough on the hot stone. That was the end of her skiing for that trip. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, Le Sanglier qui Fume, just above Arc 1600.

Cheers rob. What piste is it on?

Or you can go down Arpette , you'll pass it on your right hand side just below you, and then you cut back to it shortly after.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Advice please - will be in Les Arcs during half term (I know, needs must) and members of the party are keen to find a guide to do a day off piste. Mixed ability group (first time off piste for two of them) so definitely not looking to take on anything big. Any recommendations (I’ve looked at the top of the thread - now hoping for a personal record) for someone I could contact?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personal recommendation...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spin Doctor, which village in Arcs?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, OK - probably best to start looking over that side of the mountain!
snow report
Spin Doctor wrote:
Personal recommendation...

In the absence of a recent recommendation, I had this guy in the mid 80s (at least I assume it's him - same name and right age). I thought he was very good, with decent English. At that stage, I was purely on piste:
https://www.esf-arc-1800.com/moniteur/bernard-blanc

I also had this guy in the 80s as well. A decent instructor, with reasonably good English.....but would be my second choice, though I see he lists Off Piste:
https://www.esf-arc-1800.com/moniteur/franck-grumeau

If you go with any of these guys, let me know how it goes, as its been 35 years since I used them.
snow conditions
Arriving tomorrow afternoon, how are the conditions looking for next week?
snow conditions
@ssweeney43899, snow in good condition on piste today in very cold temperatures. More snow expected on Sunday.
snow conditions
It was indeed a tad chilly today. We had about 10cm of fresh snow last night. By lunch time it had all been swept away.
snow report
Friday 25 Jan and the pistes are almost empty everywhere we went today. Today was a mix of mostly 'on piste' with a nice 'off piste' route thrown in. We even managed to find a little fresh untracked snow, but boy was it cold!! Twisted Evil Toofy Grin Sad

Starting from Arc 1600 we headed across to Edenarc, then Arc 1800. Onwards to Peisey, followed by Vallandry. Then back to the Transarc gondola and over into the Arc 2000 bowl. Down to Arc 2000 and time for a bit of off piste.

Over the back into the Nature Reserve down to Villaroger and a quick stop at La Ferme before heading to the Clubhouse for a late lunch stop.

After a nice rest, must not put too much strain on my leg, it was down to the Comborciere Chair and Mont Blanc piste finally arriving back at Arc 1600.

A fun fast tour of almost the whole of the Les Arcs Ski area. The pistes were in OK condition at the start of the day and there was a light dusting of fresh snow. The off piste was still soft and good to ski until we hit the well tracked areas. Even then it was firm and good for easy turns.

The final piste runs were very hard packed and scraped so the snow forecast in the coming days is very welcome.

I was lucky to have had my skis serviced again at Polairestar whilst I was away so they had good edges for the hard packed snow in the afternoon, but still ran well in the off piste. Great job. Thanks!

https://www.polairestar.com/

Tomorrow I hope to repeat the same idea of skiing the whole of the La Plagne ski area. To see the photos of the powder we found today you need to look on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Sorry no pistes photos, to cold to take my gloves off for doing that!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
latest report
What an epic day. If I New how to post images I would do.

Does anyone know what happened on the opposite side of the valley st around 5.30pm? Somewhere beteeen Montgirod and BSM there was lots of blue lights and then the helicopter landed.
snow report
Does anyone know what happened on the opposite side of the valley st around 5.30pm? Somewhere beteeen Montgirod and BSM there was lots of blue lights and then the helicopter landed.
Fatal road accident, unfortunately.
snow report
@rob@rar, I thought it was something major due to the large amount of blue lights we could see from montchavin.
snow conditions
What an epic day. If I New how to post images I would do.

Load em on imgur (google it) and then you can get a straight link which you put inside the img tags - adding the .jpg extension to the link
snow conditions
12.30 Vallandry lift broken down. Now moving slowly, but not letting people on. Everyone walking up to Grizzly.
snow report
Started again just after 1pm - now 14.30 lots of cold people sitting still on it again. Been there for about 10+mins so far. Grizzly getting popular again.Don't know what happened in intervening period - fell asleep - bit like watching paint dry!
ski holidays
Don't fancy being stuck on a lift.... Does it happen often?

And a resort question if I may.... Do the sledge runs mile8 and rodeo provide sledges for the run please?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sriches, Yes, I don't think you'd allowed to use your own. You have to pay per run and use theirs I believe
ski holidays
@wills_h, thanks!
snow report
The resort has seemed very busy today with lots of skiers out but oddly no lift queues. Yesterday was very quiet.

The vis was a bit dodgy so I decided to ski down to La Grange for the first time this trip. Unfortuately the red was shut so headed down the blue. I've never done it before and will not do it again. It's a tedious track through the forest. After a bit we joined Grange which has no poles or markers up.
latest report
Woke up to snow this morning which continued till around lunch time, visibility kept changing as the weather fronts moved in but lower was better mostly unsurprisingly. By 2 pm many pistes around 1800 were presenting the hard packed base layer which wasn't fun so I called it a day in the hope a big dump tonight, was a very fun 5 hours in all.

Resort question if I may please? Does anyone know of a recent takeaway pizza place in 1800? I'm cooking this evening but fancy some nice pizza at some point during the week.
ski holidays
@Minion1980, Alpine Saveur. The owner is a great character and fabulous pizzas

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562740-d13349919-Reviews-Alpine_Saveur-Bourg_Saint_Maurice_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, thank you so much!
ski holidays
WOW!!! The powder is back and it is still coming down tonight.

This morning at 7.30am there was nothing, by 8.30am the snow had started to fall and by 9.30am on the way to the funi there was already at least 5cm's on the footpath in Bourg.

We skied around Les Arcs today, at times in a blizzard and at other times the sun even came out very briefly.

Between the trees in Arc 1600, Arc 1800 and Peisey Vallandry were fun and the pistes were also good with a light covering of fresh snow falling most of the day on a hard base.

After a good mornings skiing we headed for lunch around 1.30pm and then after a look around the Rando demo tents and and a chat with some of the skiers testing the new gear I headed back to Arc 1600 and home across a few powder fields which had been covered with more fresh snow since the morning.

By the time I was at the bottom of the Funi and coming out of the shop the snow was falling hard again and it has continued all evening.

For anyone driving out tonight or tomorrow. Take care, the road are covered in snow right down to the valley and beyond. You will need winter tires or chains and even then the conditions will be very tricky on the minor roads which have not been cleared as I walked home.

Tomorrow once the lifts open (which are likely to be delayed) it should be a great powder day, but be careful. The avalanche level has been raised to '4 ' by Meteo France tonight and it is an 'Orange level' warning on all local roads.

Take care out there whether driving or skiing tomorrow!

If you want to see the photos from today and what the conditions are like tonight go to the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
40 CM overnight: not a lot opening on time, but not too much delay apparently. Road to 2000 still closed but again, opening soon.
blue skies, but very strong winds up top 80km-ph!

1800/2000 ridge opening about midday they say. typing as I listen to the radio
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, forecast showing a very snowy week ahead of you.
snow conditions
Vallandry lift broke down again whilst I was on it, and it is bloody freezing. Was stuck for about 20-30 minutes. Now taking refuge in the restaurant near the top. Brrrrrr Skullie

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-01-19 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Les Enfant Terribles?
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
Les Enfant Terribles?
If you mean the restaurant yes I believe that was it, very friendly staff and a huge pizza for 13.50, I was even asked if I enjoyed my lunch when I returned my tray.

It was an amazing day, we woke up to fresh powder and clear sky’s and I managed to get on the third chair out of vagere though after that I had a frustrating morning caused by myself really. I was intent on getting to the top of arpette as last time I was in Les Arcs it dumped and I discovered bois de l’ours which after some heavy snow is probably my favourite run in any resort, it feels like proper off piste with trees and what not.

Unfortunately I made a wrong turn and ended up in 1600 along with a huge crowd of people and Mont Blanc lift being closed. After the very long queue I made my way to Arpette to see it was also closed so it had been a complete failure on my part. 1800 was mobbed also as the links into 2000 were closed so I thought I’d head over to Vallandry for a bit as it might be quieter (I should have done that from the beginning, lesson learnt) After a coffe as I mentioned above I got stuck on the lift that broke down and boy was it cold, thoughts of hypothermia and heart attacks even entered my mind at one point but luckily we eventually got to the top were I decided I needed to warm up and eat.

Thereafter my day improved massively, I got over to 2000 as transarc 2 was finally running and at the top I rode some tracked but sill very enjoyable powder from the top there. Then I made my way to the lift of the aforementioned run and even though the run had been tracked I did it and it was fantastic. Knee deep powder all the way though tracked, I hung a right and went through trees and just had an awesome time so afterwards I did it again. Then I looped round to 1600 and rode through more tracked powder above and around the Mont Blanc piste before heading back over 1800 way and doing a few more runs and hitting as much of the in between piste areas as possible.

All in all a fantastic afternoon and this is why Les Arcs is my favourite resort, when it snows it has some incredibly fun terrain that is easily accessible to punters like me who can’t afford a personal guide to do proper off piste. Looking forward to tomorrow when they open Varet I’ll be hitting the natur runs underneath the bubble for sure. All the pistes are now in good nick with only the steeper reds that have heavy traffic showing minor areas of hardpack but nothing some bashing won’t fix tonight.

I hope everyone is having fun and if you’re due to come out soon the forecast is looking good for more snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy