Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
On a boring matter..

Heading down Lac 'bowl' today caught some ice and went flying into the sidewall on my board which turned out to be an ice wall. Board stayed still my legs kept moving and my upper thigh took the full impact. For any avoidance of doubt it really hurt and still does, muscle is as stiff as a poker now and agony. Skiing tomorrow I think. Skullie Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller wrote:
On a boring matter..

Heading down Lac 'bowl' today caught some ice and went flying into the sidewall on my board which turned out to be an ice wall. Board stayed still my legs kept moving and my upper thigh took the full impact. For any avoidance of doubt it really hurt and still does, muscle is as stiff as a poker now and agony. Skiing tomorrow I think. Skullie Toofy Grin

Are you admitting to being out of control tfc Shocked Shocked wink wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
8am in Arc 2000, bit overcast but sun shining over in the distance. No fresh snow so be careful out there this morning it will be boiler plate, forecast to be slightest less cold than yesterday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On an unrelated matter, I went to one of Henry's Avalanche Talks last night and thought it was excellent. If anyone gets the chance to go, I highly recommend them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, in bad visibility a few years back I skied straight into an ice wall I didn't see. It put a gash in my forehead that bled rather profusely (ice is quite sharp). Since I didn't look in a mirror I was puzled by the stares people were giving me. I was covered in blood. Now I ski very slowly in bad Viz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, sadly wasn't bad viz, just some ice, my board and an ice wall, the wall won Laughing

Didn't go out for long today, went skiing but no power in right leg so had to be careful. It was nice out there just very, very cold. Used the new Comborciere lift to get over to 1600, the lift is growing on us. Did 1600 and 1800 and then called it a day, I was in pain and the wife was freezing. They had snow cannons on at 1800 which was a bit bizarre as big snow due Sunday/Monday?

I am fairly sure I know the answer but once in 1800 getting to Pesiey side is now a pain, either mid station or that chair and the blue across or up to top and take the whole run down? Anyone got any other brilliant ideas? That chair by mid station is missed?

I am convinced that the lifties take huge pleasure in putting up the 'slow down' netting near lifts especially to make life hell for boarders Toofy Grin Laughing

Overall conditions are very good for those heading out, looks like a hefty storm Sunday/Monday but transfer day should be fine.

See you all in March. Sorry no photos some barsteward stole my phone. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thefatcontroller, sorry to hear you've been suffering today. As you say, nice but v. cold.

To get to Peisey from 1800, I usually take the Vagere chair and the the blue across, turning down Ours when I get there. Not the most exciting of runs but not a bad warm up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomorrow’s forecast is looking promising!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thefatcontroller, Ways to Peisey: Our most common route is to take Cachette then Belvarde all the way to the Grizzly lift, and go up that then descend to Peisey. Other routes are available such as up Arpette and across or (the whole readership now rises in shock) down to Charmettoger and up that. Actually this turns out to be much nicer than getting the Transarc up to the middle station AND there is never a queue for this lift.

On;y 12 more days until I'm back in Les Arcs
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, must admit I miss that chair as well as the run from Vagre is far less interesting. @johnE, not thought of taking Charmettoger as it's so slow and until last year I always had trouble finding it
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I always had trouble finding it

That is why it is quiet. I am informed that the Aiguille Grive hotel just above the lift is a good place to go for lunch
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ricklovesthepowder, indeed. Fingers crossed.

Having said that, I've just had a truly glorious day's skiing as the snow is holding up well and the pistes have been as empty as you would expect on a January changeover day. Went for a bit of a touring day - over to La Plagne and a couple of runs down to Montalbert (one of my favourite areas) then a few runs in the area round the Rossa chair above Champagny. Back to Les Arcs, up the Transarc to 2000, then from the top of the Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger (non-stop - good for the legs Shocked ) then a quick run down Clocherets and back to Chez Boubou in time for Happy Hour. Didn't encounter any significant ice, although a few minor stones here and there (mainly at lower levels). All under blue skies with not too much wind - and much warmer than yesterday, thank goodness. Now knackered.

People coming out today/tomorrow should have a splendid time when the forecast snow stops.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair, I’ve skied Paradiski 2 times before but the run from the Aguille Rouge to villaroger has never been fully open. The top section is a black. It it actually a black run or really is it a red? After that it’s red/blue all the way down isn’t it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricklovesthepowder, The very top section is a short steep black section (which is steep enough to justify the black description but really isn't very long). There's a less steep red route which runs around the black so you can avoid the black. There's then a long section which is shown on the piste map as a red paralleling a black but is actually mainly a wide piste with red markers down one side and black down the other. When the red (Arandelieres) and black split the black is quite narrow but not particularly difficult (IMHO), especially as most people seem to head down the red. When you pass the top of the Lanchettes chair the route is graded red and it's reds and blues to the bottom.

I used to avoid it until rob@rar assured me I was capable; the run down today was fabulous with few people except at the top.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the piste map the section where you turn right at the end of the glacier is black. This is the only bit of the route that does not have alternative red pistes and TBH I do not know why it is marked as black. It is easier than many reds in Les Arcs such as Claire Blanc and is, once again in my opinion, easier than the the road section at the very top. It can be done as a red all the way down. Mind you it is long run with 2 km of descent. Hats off to @Alastair, for doing it non stop.
snow conditions
Moderate snow in Arc 2000 from the early hours, still snowing now. Having just walked to my transfer bus i'd say 5-10cm overnight.
latest report
Just passing 1600 and still falling as snow. The road up the mountain is covered in snow so later transfers could be interesting. Update snow all the way down to Bourg.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 13-01-19 6:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Great news
latest report
Arrived in Vallandry yesterday afternoon, staying in Bellecote.

Woken up to 10cm of fresh snow on the balcony and snow forecast all day so will be staying in the trees today.

Paid a visit to the Mojo bar last night. Any recommendations for Apres in Vallandry?
Looks to be a great week ahead after today
snow report
I just looked at the Combettes live cam. It is snowing quite heavely, but what caught my eye was a group on clearly their first ski lesson. They were doing kick turns. I did't realiese they were still taught. Perhaps it was an advanced class learning how to descend steep couloirs.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I just looked at the Combettes live cam. It is snowing quite heavely, but what caught my eye was a group on clearly their first ski lesson. They were doing kick turns. I did't realiese they were still taught. Perhaps it was an advanced class learning how to descend steep couloirs.

Extreme webcam watching is nearly a sport in its own right. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Webcams showing heavy snow in 1950 so far today... ( 12 days til we return...)
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Looking at the Champagny webcam at 1200m La Plagne side, the snow line is low and very heavy. http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-champagny/webcam-champagny-village
snow report
I'm heading over with a group of 8 on the 16th of March and for the first time in many years we have 2 absolute beginners with us. Does anyone have personal recommendations for an English speaking instructor in 1800 for them to have some private tuition please? I don't really mind which ski school they are affiliated to, just looking for someone that the guys will get along with well and who will help them to progress well.
snow conditions
We use John Thomas of new Generation and every year excellent tuition whether it is us or the kids, also used Martin from new generation and agin excellent - have also heard good things about sian mcloughlin (Sian ski) but never used her
latest report
@wills_h, Surely your 2 beginners would benefit more by being in a group lesson with other beginners
snow report
let it snow, let it snow, roll on Feb 2
snow report
@johnE, I think that they are more likely to progress quickly from personal private tuition as they will have the instructors full attention. But I might be wrong.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

30-40cm of fresh snow I’d guess, maybe deeper than that when the higher lifts open.
snow conditions
extremely jealous!
snow conditions
migletski wrote:
We use John Thomas of new Generation and every year excellent tuition whether it is us or the kids, also used Martin from new generation and agin excellent

+ 1 (J.T.) Excellent: patient, knowledgeable, can't recommend highly enough.
ski holidays
So how was today? I'm guessing best day of the season so far?
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
So how was today? I'm guessing best day of the season so far?
Not for me, opening week of the season offered some nicer days. Today was limited opening (higher lifts not open at all, or not until later in the afternoon), poor visibility with frequent bouts of no visibility above 2000m, and the new snow wasn't as light as it was mid-December. But it was a nice day, and tomorrow should be better again.
snow conditions
Prefacture warns off piste is in unstable conditions as the sun comes out. Please stay safe out there if you go off piste. Remember on slopes of more than 25 degrees you can get a slide and above 2500m there are weak layers below the surface which can cause an avalanche by just one skier or boarder. With so much snow having fallen very quickly in last few days. Time to be careful for a while.
snow report
On the basis of providing local info, we have used this taxi company a few times now to get from Bourg and Eurostar to Arc 2000. They do airports, basically if you have got money they will do the run. Excellent service, good prices and top quality vehicles. The main man is called David http://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/
snow conditions
After 15 years of seeing animal tracks outside my apartment I finally get to see a mountain hare lollop around. Small ambition fulfilled Happy
snow report
@rob@rar, nice one. Did you get a photo?
latest report
Quote:

After 15 years of seeing animal tracks outside my apartment I finally get to see a mountain hare lollop around. Small ambition fulfilled

I thought i saw a black squirrel in La Plagne yesterday, didn't know they existed or was i seeing things!? Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I thought i saw a black squirrel in La Plagne yesterday, didn't know they existed or was i seeing things!? Very Happy

Yes they do exist see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11444893

But I thought you were refering to a rather nice black piste in Vallandry
latest report
Hi all. Looking for someone to ski with, Les Arcs, Sun 3rd to Fri 8th Feb.
Would anyone like to hook up to ski with me please? Or any tips? I’m based in Arc 1800, on my own. 1st time at Les Arcs, trying it out for a possible family trip later. I am an intermediate skier, mostly blues and reds. Used to ski before kids. Back now for 4th year since the break. Toofy Grin

Edit: My apologies if this is the wrong place to post. I have now found the buddy threads.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy