Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
been waiting for this to start to get my lift passes booked! We are a family of reasonable skiers, kids will ski most (all?) marked runs quite happily. Assume we should get the Paradaski full area pass?? We are staying in Peisey Vallandry over New Year. All kids are over 13, one is under 18 so I'm assuming there are no family lift pass deals and I'll just need to stump up for 4 adult passes with the early bird 10% discount?? OR should I look into the various packs? Duo, Tribu or family??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
been waiting for this to start to get my lift passes booked! We are a family of reasonable skiers, kids will ski most (all?) marked runs quite happily. Assume we should get the Paradaski full area pass?? We are staying in Peisey Vallandry over New Year. All kids are over 13, one is under 18 so I'm assuming there are no family lift pass deals and I'll just need to stump up for 4 adult passes with the early bird 10% discount?? OR should I look into the various packs? Duo, Tribu or family??

There is plenty in the Les Arcs side to keep you occupied without paying for the full Paradiski lift pass. Last year our lift passes included one day over to La Plagne during our week but we didn’t use it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Genista wrote:
Thanks for the heads up about the food. Although with 5 of us we will probably make dinner in the apartment most nights.

Do I big shop at one of the big supermarkets before you head up the mountain road. It is much cheaper and they have a better range. And then just buy the odd thing or a bit of fresh produce as required. We also take packed lunches in our ruck sacks but do occasionally stop for a vin chaud in inclement weather. As you say with in my case a couple of teenagers eating out is an expensive business but to be honest we also like the relaxed nature of cooking and eating in the apartment of an evening.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:

From the website:

*Family pack : For the simultaneous purchase of 4 identical skipasses (for the same period and sector), families composed of 2 adults and 2 children between 5 and 17 years old can benefit from family price. All additionnal children between 5 to 17 years old can benefit from a children's price.

You'll find a bit of a split of opinion on getting a Les Arcs or Paradiski ski pass. For us one of the big plusses is having both areas of the domain to go at. Part of the reason why we usually stay at Les Coches close to the VE. We just make the call each day according to conditions and what we fancy on which direction to go. Others on here seem happier to stay on their side of the domain. Certainly if you are new to the area and only skiing 6 days there is more than enough. But we've been lots of times and ski 8 days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs is plenty big enough for a week.

Paradiski was just dreamt up by their marketing department getting upset by Trois Vallees and Espace Killy across the valley showing off bigger numbers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, if you were staying somewhere like Arc 2000/1950 then I'd agree that perhaps the Les Arcs pass is sufficient. But from Peisey-Vallandry I would go for the Paradiski pass every time. For around an extra €30 (each) you get double the ski area, and a better choice of which direction to head in each day. And on the days you want to ski La Plagne you should be close enough to the Vanoise Express to get there early and avoid the queues.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, before we owned in 2000 we stayed in Peisey & bought paradski. Not worth it IMO. The 1 day inlcuded is enough. The really good skiing in La Plagne is Belle Plagne onwards and is a very cold & slow journey there from the Vanoise.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, we've skied Les Arcs lots of times, all but one time staying at the Peisey end. We've only once gone for the full pass, and that was because we were there for 8 days and the chalet company had a TO deal so we got Paradiski for the price Les Arcs is normally. We only went across twice, and only because we could. In fact, one of the days we had just worked our way to the top of Bijolin chair, when they closed the piste back down to the Vanoise to anyone who didn't need to get back that way because of bad weather. So we had to head straight back and then had a fantastic afternoon skiing between the pistes above Peisey. So in my opinion, you'll be fine with the Les Arcs pass
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller wrote:
@kitenski, before we owned in 2000 we stayed in Peisey & bought paradski. Not worth it IMO. The 1 day inlcuded is enough. The really good skiing in La Plagne is Belle Plagne onwards and is a very cold & slow journey there from the Vanoise.

The skiing above Les Coches is some of the best piste and off piste skiing in the domain IMO. That's part of the reason we base ourselves there so much. With the upgrade of the Inversen chair lift following on from Salla last year getting around is now very quick. La Plagne in general holds lots of jewels the more you explore and get to know it. I think you dismiss it too lightly. You can ski to the VE in 20 minutes from the top of Arcabulle. 5 minutes to Les Coches and two chair lifts and you are into the skiing proper. From Peisey it's obviously even easier. Again, I'm not sure why you always have such a downer on it. Cost wise in the context of the whole holiday it's peanuts to have the full pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've not stayed in Les Arcs before but am loking at booking for a half term/Easter. Is it just the photos from the apartments I'm looking at or do 1600 and 1950 have a more villagey feel than 2000? As long as we have good access to ski school meeting points we're quite flexible but the photos do seem to suggest the lower two have a better feel.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RobH2017, yes IMO.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RobH2017, 200 is effectively large ( in some cases very large) apartment blocks, with room sizes that would be deemed 'typical' for the oLd style French purpose built resorts. Hvng said that, the newer builds (see fatcontroller's place) are quite lovely.

1600 appears (I've not been inside - will wait for JohnE to comment) to be slightl more spacious Accomodation, and yes has a vilalge centre and a focus to its position.

1950 is a Disney-fyed version of what an alpine village 'should be' - and it does it very well. It is designed to be a village. It's official name is "Arc 1950 Le Village". The 'town council' ( the ASL), do everything they can to keep it that way - with things such as allowable shop sign designs and the mix of retail outlets being set at a village level - as are the decorations and street furniture (such as ski racks).
Being built by Intrawet, it has a US in mind when talking sizes, albeit they were obvoiusly infleunced by the slightly smaller Eu accomodation expectations. But they're pretty big. ( ours is 56sq m for 2 bed)
The nightlife is slightly muted, but for table stomping and rousting, there are always the seasonniare bars in 2000, which are accessible easily from 1950.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne and @Artic Roll. Thank you very much. With 2 children (in Evo2 Academy levels) and an intermediate skiing wife to accomodate the village feel would suit us. My Apres days are long over on family trips and the kids haven't started yet but we do like eating out and wandering around and the kids like to soak up some of the buzz. I'll be spending my Autumn watching the snow reports and wishing the boring but busy months away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobH2017, Go 1950
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You and me both, Rob. I quite enjoy watching the weather. It a damn sight more interesting up there than down here. Australia at that time of year? Yeah...it’s gonna be hot again.
latest report
@RobH2017, @Genista, first up apologies for spelling in previous post (been for an eye test, with the dreaded drops...)

The street entertainments in 1950 (all free) can be quite spectacular and family oriented - if you look at:
http://www.arc1950.com/en/winter-events-arc-1950.html you'll see the various theme weeks for this coming season, as well as videso from last year (The Christmas Parade was a bit 'French'...)

These theme weeks sit on top of the "every week" standard stuff: Go to: http://www.arc1950.com/en/entertainment-programme.html
and download the pdf at the bottom of the page (this one is the one from end of last season), you'll see a typical selection of activities that happen very week. Don't miss the toasted marshmallows with hot chocolate (plus a shot of genepi or chartreuse for you 'older kids').

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-09-18 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

1600 appears (I've not been inside - will wait for JohnE to comment) to be slightl more spacious Accomodation, and yes has a vilalge centre and a focus to its position.

Yes 1600 has a very strong village feel to it and much of the accomodation is has easy access to the square (and the place of the dead tree) and the ski lifts. The major defaulter on this is Plan Devin where it is a nasty trek up to the centre of the resort. I think most of the residents there get the bus around to 1800 in the morning to pick up the Jardin lift
ski holidays
Looks like party central in 1950 and 2000 at the end of March:

https://www.europeangayskiweek.com/the-resort/

Can I sneak another week in without the family?!
snow report
Any takers willing to make a guess at when the first substantial ❄️ will hit the ground in Les Arcs?
latest report
Second week of November, but it won't last.
snow report
Seems some are thinking it may be in the next few weeks.
snow report
Some white stuff on
Monday?
latest report
Genista wrote:
Some white stuff on
Monday?

Yep, looking positive to wake up to white tomorrow.
ski holidays
Some good Cam action right now.
ski holidays
What are they building next to the Vagere lift? https://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-vagere.html#ong333
snow report
Does anyone have any definite info on what lifts will have a priority line for Paradiski passes this season? Still debating what pass to buy for a trip over New Year.
ski holidays
So much nicer...
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, love it. We're there just over 10 weeks... oooooh! ( better hit that exercise bike pronto...)

I can't find the 2000 cam on the website - I know they said they were upgrading them, so maybe offline for the moment, but any ideas of a direct web address?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just the small matter of 129 days to go Toofy Grin
latest report
@Arctic Roll, 2000 cam def down, I have the direct YouTube link and not working.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Does anyone have any definite info on what lifts will have a priority line for Paradiski passes this season? Still debating what pass to buy for a trip over New Year.

Is this new?
latest report
Layne wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Is this new?
It applied to one lift in Les Arcs last season (Varet gondola). One of the gates to enter the lift only opened for Paradiski passes. When I used the Varet there wasn't much difference between the time for using that one gate compared with all the others, but I didn't ski in peak season.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

The websites currently say "a priority line per resort". I am guessing this might mean just one in Les Arcs, one in La Plagne, and perhaps one in Peisey-Vallandry. if so, not sufficient to actually influence choice of pass!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Layne wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Is this new?
It applied to one lift in Les Arcs last season (Varet gondola). One of the gates to enter the lift only opened for Paradiski passes. When I used the Varet there wasn't much difference between the time for using that one gate compared with all the others, but I didn't ski in peak season.

Ah, I didn't even notice when I was there in March tbh!
ski holidays
@ecureuil, there seems to be some confusion how many lifts will have such a queue. The Peisey Vallandry website, in French, says:

Quote:
Mais l’avantage qui fait la différence cet hiver, c’est l’accès à des files prioritaires sur les remontées mécaniques structurantes du domaine des Arcs/Peisey-Vallandry. N’attendez plus aux remontées mécaniques et profitez à 200% de vos vacances.

The English version says:

Quote:
This winter, don’t miss the priority access at all the main ski lifts, so don’t waste your time at the lift and enjoy your holiday at 200%.

It sounds to me that it will be those lifts which are key to getting around the area. As Arctic Roll (Happy Birthday!) commented earlier on this thread, I can't see it being a major selling point for the pass - I didn't get stuck in too many excessive queues last season. I feel sure that they must have significantly reduced Paradiski pass sales by including one day on the weekly passes which is probably enough for many people.
snow report
Any views as to the merits of the two areas? Have not skied either and we are booked to into Les Arcs 1800. I quite like a day trying to go to the furthest point possible (so equivalent would be from Tignes Les Brevs all the way to the top of the Pissalas glacier in Val and back) so would definitely use one day on a pass to do that - perhaps over to the Secteur Champagny? But generally... which side do people prefer???
snow report
@Spin Doctor, thank you for starting the autumn entertainment. Time for a comfy seat and the popcorn!
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Spin Doctor, thank you for starting the autumn entertainment. Time for a comfy seat and the popcorn!

I have no idea what you mean...
snow report
@Spin Doctor,
(In an entirely fun and humorous way), people who like to ski on "this" side of the valley tend to dismiss those who like to ski on "the other". whichever side is your preferred.

Ask 10 Paradiski skiers / residents, and you will get eleven opinions: we will discuss snow quality; piste maintenance, lift queues, lift quality, piste etiquette, off piste access, challenges, bumps, little known gems, restaurants, ski-schools, accommodation, transport, non-skiing activities : you name it, each tribe has its preferences.
So I'm looking forward to seeing what transpires! wink

(PS Les Arcs is better, but don't tell everyone in La Plagne, they'll be over...)
ski holidays
I think most people will say that the part of the Paradiski domain they know best is the best part of the Paradiski. As a Les Arcs skier I can confirm that there is no off-piste in La Plagne and their pistes are very confusing, whereas there are loads of off-piste opportunities in Les Arcs and a comprehensive, easy to navigate piste network awaits your visit. The fact that I don't often venture across to La Plagne and barely know any off-piste routes doesn't cloud my judgement at all, honest wink

More seriously, both parts of the domain offer a wide range of skiing for a wide range of skiers, and I'm sure visitors are equally happy on either side of the Vanoise Express. If you are going to be based in Les Arcs perhaps the best option is to get a Discovery (name?) pass for the week, which gives you one day in La Plagne. That allows you on that day to get in some serious distances from one side of the domain to the other, if that's your thing, and the rest of the week to explore Les Arcs which has more than enough terrain for the other five days of your week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy