Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, Dynastar X84 Legends, a bit wider than my 69mm under foot Skicross 10s.

Took me a few minutes to adjust to them on the hard packed snow, but a delight in the slush later in the day. I found myself skiing worryingly fast on them and look forward to next season Very Happy .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another snowy day today and I had to miss out!! Not happy. One of my friends did the North Face of the Bellecote in powder with only a short walk out, well 20 minutes, change that. Make it 40 minutes I heard today (Saturday)!.

Others skied around Les Arcs and reported the snow was powder in the morning, but soon became wet and heavy. Another said the pistes were fun and had powder on them first thing, about 10cm.

Yes, I missed all the fun so no video or photos from me today! But it is snowing again tonight and even getting cold down in the valley. Fingers crossed for a powder day tomorrow before the lifts shut. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
THE LAST DAY OF THE SEASON for LES ARCS!!!!

Very sad that the season is finally over. But a much happier finish to the season for me this year than last year!

Today we started in Arc 1600 with clouds and light snow/sleet, but it soon brightened up a little. Headed to the Arpette ridge and found some pleasant soft snow back down to the bottom of the lift again. Then into Arc 1800 to meet the others. All the way across to the top of the Derby and more nice snow on the piste the whole way down to Peisey Vallandry.

As it was the last day of the season the plan was to do the whole Paradiski area. Over to La Plagne and we started to see untouched fresh snow higher up so a run down the hidden valley, then the meadows below the Brown trouser ridge and finally all the way down the Champagny Gully before lunch at the picnic hut. Having missed out on the Champagny side a few days before it was good to ski this area and have the chance for some nice off piste at the same time. However it did mean that we would not cover the whole ski domain, but I think this change of plan was more fun!

After lunch up top of Verdon Sud and down the North facing slope off piste in nice spring snow. Then into the Indian gully which I did alone again as the others took the piste route down, then a fast piste ski all the way to the top of the Les Coches side.

For me one final off piste route down under the chair and through the trees to the Les Coches gondola before heading to the Vanoise Express.

Back with the others and another fast ski on piste down to the Enfant for a great 'hot chocolate plus'.

Finally time to say our goodbyes for the season and head for home. The view from the top of the Vagere chair was not as good as last time, but still nice to have a deserted mountain to myself on my final run of the day.

Ever wondered what the sow park look's like at the end of the season. Take a look at the photos. Across to the waterslide and two brave people gave it a try in poor light and quite cold conditions! Great effort, they almost both remained dry!!

My final cruise down to Arc 1600 was fun as the race course had been pisted and still not skied very much. What a finish to the season.

A full day in very mixed conditions with some good spring snow on and off piste on both the Les Arcs side of the Vanoise Express and across in La Plagne.

If you enjoy skinning there is still plenty of snow in the Paradiski area and into the National Park. With more snow forecast for the coming week. Although this is the end of the season for lift accessed skiing here in Les Arcs there is still plenty of good skiing to be found.

I hope you enjoy the photos and video from today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looked at the livecams watching the pistuers dismantling the fences etc in 2000. Sad. Then I looked at the Combettes livecam. The piste looks complete and there has even been some fresh snow covering the bare patches that have been developing. I think with this amount of snow about the summer activities may need some careful thought. Imagine trying to cycle down from the Col du Chal when the ground is still snow covered.

I think I have left my ice axe and crampons in Les Arcs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Fresh snow settling down as far as Les Granges when I left this morning. Quite a decent amount at 1800. However it has been melting pretty quickly over the past few days and I'm sure this will continue. I would say there's significantly less overall than there was at this time last year but I may be wrong.

Roll on December....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a good winter we had! Despite the warm spells at various times during the season, the snow lasted right to the end.

It was great to ski with old friends and meet new people as well. Thanks for all the support I was given in my rehab and it is great to now be able to continue into the spring.

Yes, the lifts are closed, but the snow is falling. Fresh snow in Les Arcs during the last few days. This weekend should be fun. Check out the webcams. I will try and post a few photos later.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/arcabulle

I hope you all have a great summer. For anyone that is interested. The Tour de France is passing through Bourg on 27 July. There are also loads of summer activities to be found throughout the summer from the start of July until the end of August when some of the lifts are open again.

Not much happening on the mountain this summer re. Lift construction. But the funicular area in Bourg should see a facelift and an improvement to the train. More summer news and weather/activity updates will be posted on the LES ARCS SUMMER page and on this thread until the new season approaches.

See you all next winter! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not sure which is sadder. Watching snow fall on a webcam or watching them dig paths through the snow at season end to try get drivable paths opens. Both probably but what else is there to do on conference calls?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone know of any lift work this summer?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lifts opening details for this summer. The pre-season week starts from the 29 Juin I think. The main lifts open on 6 July until 31 August. Hope to be out on the mountain a bit more this summer. More updates when I get them or you can go to the Les Arcs web page lesarcs.com. Hope that helps with everyones planning.

As I think I said in my earlier post. The only major lift work in Paradiski this summer is the Funicular. But I have heard they plan on sorting out seat problems, wind covers and smaller problems on some lifts. All the normal summer bike lifts should be open. If I hear of anything else i will share it. You were too quick in posting your comment to let me finish editing my post.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-05-19 19:39; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy wrote:
The lifts opening details for this summer. The pre-season week starts from the 29 Juin I think. The main lifts open on6 July until 31 August. Hope to be out on the mountain a bit more this summer. More updates when I get them or you can go to the Les Arcs web page lesarcs.com Hope that helps with everyones plannin.

Lift work as in building new lifts work.......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thefatcontroller, I'm certainly not aware of any new lifts or even refurbishments (beyond the funi). Looking forward to some summer walking and biking tho'. Be back in about 8 weeks...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arctic Roll, It looks as if I will be in Les Arcs Later than planned this year. We'll probably arrive on July 26th and leave August 6th. The delay on arrival is because I'm trying to decide between a race camp in Landgraaf or judging an international gymnastics comp on the Isle of Man the previous week - I'll do one or other. The early departure is for a trip home before a 2 week trip to the Dolomites. I think my travel insurance only allows me to be out of the country for 30 days at a time.

Hopefully we can still meet up for a drink.

If you asked me to prioritise improvements to the Les Arcs lift system I don't think the funicular would be top of my list. Personnally I would have the Transarc way above that, though I have to confess I use the funicular much more than the Transarc .

What would other peoples list of priorities be? My list would be:

Develop new ski area to the north of the Col du Chal, perhaps even going around to Vallandry. It can be done - look at the earth movement done for Secret and Mont Blanc pistes

Develop new ski area south of Malgovert through the forest towards the 2000 road

Improve the Transarc

Reinstate the Deux tetes piste and piste du Tommelet.

I doubt any of these are even on the lift companies RADAR.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, Transarc 100%, not that they will be removing the small lift by mid station Transarc to top of Reche is a right pain when 1800 side and want to get to Peisey.

Overall though with Pre Saint, Comborciere and Carelly done, I have few reason to complain about lifts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

not that they will be removing the small lift by mid station Transarc to top of Reche is a right pain when 1800 side and want to get to Peisey.

I assume you are talking about the Grand Renard chair lift - it was taken out a couple years ago. A big mistake in my view. When was the last time anyone used the Jardin d Alpe lift? Or indeed Millerette.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
New funicular has arrived.

Photos from Radio Les Arcs
snow report
@rob@rar, Very posh. Don’t use the funi much but it is brilliant. Just would have been nice if they had put the terminal in the town or by the train station.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
...t would have been nice if they had put the terminal in the town or by the train station.
No room for a car park next to the funicular.
ski holidays
That looks sweet. Looking forward to riding it in a few weeks before it gets dinged up by thousands of skis...
ski holidays
Looks good to me. @Arctic Roll, I think the bike handlebars and pedals will add the first dings
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
...t would have been nice if they had put the terminal in the town or by the train station.
No room for a car park next to the funicular.

I know but it’s hell for foot passengers, designed for cars sadly.
latest report
Quote:

Very posh. Don’t use the funi much but it is brilliant. Just would have been nice if they had put the terminal in the town or by the train station.

Better still just by Super U. It would make the walk across town with full rucksacks of shopping easier.

IIRC the old telepherique was even further down the valley and hence from the railway station than the current funicular base. Be grateful for small improvements.
ski holidays
Appropo of nothing, this recreation of the Les Arcs logo is impressive.

snow conditions
@rob@rar, Nice one
ski holidays
@rob@rar, impressive but my back would have prevented me partaking!
latest report
@rob@rar, impressive. I wonder how long it took to do!
snow report
Alastair wrote:
@rob@rar, impressive. I wonder how long it took to do!
And how many times they tipped over? Looks like a high quality yoga class: "today we're going to flow in to the Downward Dog, but with a little difference..."
latest report
Construction work at The Lodge in Arc 1800. Any idea what? Linked to Folie Douce taking over the Lodge?

snow conditions
SUMMER 2019 SEASON is about to begin so here is my first update for the summer.

Although the resort opens tomorrow, getting up to Arc 1600 from Bourg will be a little difficult especially for those with mountain bikes. The new funi is confirmed as not yet running and they will be running buses every 20 minutes or so from the bottom and top of the funi. Only very limited places for mountain bikes.

Here is the official post:
The opening of the Bourg Saint Maurice –Les Arcs Funicular will, unfortunately, be delayed and it will not be opening on 6 July. However, free buses will be laid on to ensure the connection between Bourg-Saint-Maurice and Les Arcs (both ways) following the same timetables and pick-up points as the funicular from Saturday 6 July.
The lifts dedicated to foot passengers and mountain bikes will operate normally and all the high-altitude pistes will also be open from 6 July.

Mountain bikers are strongly advised to make use of the Bike Park sectors at altitude and to limit their descents to Bourg Saint Maurice as places for mountain bikes on the buses are very limited.

https://en.lesarcs.com/access/funiculaire.html

So you have been warned. Right now I have been told they hope to have the funi running by 17/18 July. Watch this space. Hopefully it will be ready before this date!

There are a few new bike tracks in Les Arcs and La Pagne areas and more Ebike charging points. Not much other work on any lifts in Les Arcs, but the building work in the various stations continues. I will post some photos after I have been up on the mountain.

Here is a link to the Les Arcs web page where you can find more info for the summer.

https://en.lesarcs.com/summer.html

Hope to see anyone out for the summer if you fancy a bike trip or maybe a paddle on the river.

@rob@rar, Yes, they are getting the area ready for next winter. Should be interesting to see what they will do with the place. I hope it will not be too noisy for those living near the new area. But last winter it was OK I heard.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We will be heading out on Wednesday and staying until the 22nd. If anyone fancies a bit of sport climbing then let me know
ski holidays
Update on funi. They plan to have it open by 14 July. Fingers crossed. Also outdoor swimming pool area in Bourg will remain closed for the summer, but indoor section is open and so is some of the grass area. If this changes I will post an update.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 8-07-19 20:58; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@johnE, i might send you a message if my leg feels up for something. Otherwise, be good to catch up for a drink before you leave. I will be in touch as not always around right now. Very Happy
ski holidays
Just arrived in 1600 this afternoon. The weather is looking good and a lot is open - even the Abrevoir and the cachette hotel which has not been open during the summer season for a number of years. However the Arpette is closed which spoils my excuse for an afternoon stroll for a beer.

Has anyone else noticed that the tunnel between Moutiers and Aime has been modified. The cycle lanes have been removed and cyclists now seem to be rerouted through a secondary tunnel. Much safer.

@rob@rar, It looks as if Folie Douce are constructing a massive deck, no doubt for trivial things like dancing.

@snowcrazy, Is the leg still playing up?
snow report
@snowcrazy, message from the domain today said 13th...
snow report
They are building a new bridge over the Isere.

Those of us who drive to Les Arcs turn right at the traffic lights as you enter the town. cross the river near the funicular station as so bypass most of the town. That bridge was only wide enougth for one car so there was a priority system on it. Well they are now replaing it. The new bridge is in position and they are completing the road works to it. The multiway traffic light system causes some hold ups at the moment so I have been drving through town.

The new funicular appears to be running so I may take a trip on it today - just cos I can. The wonders of a season ticket.
ski holidays
@johnE, any sense of when the new Bridge will be open? Arriving Tuesday :do we need to go the long way around?
snow report
@Arctic Roll, It took us 5 minutes to get over the bridge yesterday and about the same going through town. Since we were the second car in line I think that is a worse case timing - we just arrived after it changed. I'd go over the bridge.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, I went the old way the other day but I'm not sure it was intended that I should do so Shocked . Having gone by Super U yesterday, I'm not sure on the latest. I would stick to the long way round for the next few weeks.
snow conditions
Just had a look at the new funicular. It's got seats. No more squatting on the steps Very Happy

We went up the Auigille Rouge yesterday and they are doing a lot of work on the indoor cattle pens. Not sure what is going on but it can only be an improvement.
snow report
@johnE, it's very nice on board. Except it's not so good if it breaks down while you're on it in this weather - something of a greenhouse effect! Took 35 minutes to get up the hill this afternoon - we stopped, had several false starts, and then crawled up the hill rather slowly.

snow report
@Alastair, my wife said there were 5 staff members in the control room at 16:45 with 2 of them in overalls having been in the engine room earlier. Apparrently they announced imminent departure several times but noting happened. It appears there are teething problems.

Yesterday evening I had to visit Castorama in Crolle for so toilet repair material and decided to do a via ferrata at Crolles in the evening. We started about 18:45 and finished just as it was getting dark at 21:45. It was only today reading the guide book that I discovered it was supposed to take 4 and a half hours for the round trip. I spent today repairing the toilet in the apartment and recovering. Tomoorow we are off to do a climb at Barres des Colombettes. Do you fancy a drink later, or on Thursday.

While walking through the resort the last couple of days I have been greeted by Natalie at the Abrevoir (ever been in a bar when you were the only customers and the barman left to talk to friends after serving you?), Fernand at the Cairn and Eric at the Panoramique. It is shocking that I am known at 3 seperate bars in theis resort but at no pubs at all at home.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy