Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller,
Admittedly I included the Cabriolet from 2000 to say au revoir and dump stuff in the cave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Arctic Roll, up and down as 2 legs?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hah.
So:
Cabriolet
Navette
Funicular
Replacement bus service to Chambery
Train to Paris
RER
Eurostar
Underground
GWR
(some may include the final walk home as #10)

Now at Chambery with 1.5 hours til next TGV.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(Don't count the funi to gare walk: I mean, that's just silly)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep it is the traverse of London and Paris that is the pain (according to my son)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Traversing would be great. Unfortunately those b'stds in French Customs are demonstrating what it would be like if they had to check every sodding suitcase, belt, tie and bangle post Brexit. Been in the queue for British customs for near on two hours. Suspect at least another hour before we even get to scanning of luggage.. How to really wee wee off a whole nation.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friday and the clouds were still present this morning, but to our surprise it started to clear at the very top of the mountains. Time to head high!!

Having dropped some of the youngsters off for their ski lessons it was time for another ski around Les Arcs until meeting up again for lunch.

Our morning route today was rather different. We headed straight to the Varet Gondola and then parked our skis and went up the Aiguille rouge with the youngest to see the new platform and the great views above the clouds. The view was great, but the hassle getting up top was a pain.

(The Les Arcs Tourist office advertise for pedestrians to go up the Aiguille Rouge and enjoy the new platform. But when we arrived, the pedestrian access was closed and we were told to go through the ESF entrance. Sounds easy, but oh no! Despite some ESF Instructors being kind enough to let the four of us past. One just became obstructive and it took us almost 30 minutes to get to the top. With more than 50 people in the ESF line alone you would think if they are going to advertise for pedestrians to easily go up to the viewing platform. The ADS would ensure that the Pedestrian access worked and not make walkers join crazy long queues of skiers (we were the only 4 walkers going up at this time). I look forward to receiving a reply to my complaint to the ADS about the problems we faced today.)

After our trip up above the clouds it was skis back on and down the Blue Vallee de l'arc piste to the Bois de l'ours chair. Then up top of the Arpette ridge and down the Arpette piste to the Snowpark. First time for the young one on the jumps and he did very well. Enjoyed it so much that we went back up the Arpette chair and had another go! Even better the second time round. Then across to the Arpette Restaurant for lunch. After lunch it was time to head back towards Arc 2000 for ski school. This time we went down the Plan piste a little way from the top of the Arpette ridge and once more through the Mouse Gap and down the bumps. Then onto the Cornice drop above the Edelweiss piste which some tried before doing the little jumps down the side of the piste to the Marmottes Chair. Finally into Arc 2000 for our drop off.

Our afternoon route was changed as they closed the top of the Aiguille Rouge again. Instead it was up Lanchettes chair and all the way down the Red Aiguille Rouge piste and then the Soillet Black piste to the Villaroger chairs. Some moguls on the way down made more interesting by the very mixed snow conditions and light coming and going. Back up the lifts and through Arc 2000 to the Marmottes chair and then the Arcabulle Chair. Time for some races down the Boarder Cross course. Mixed results, one win for the youngsters and one win for the dad's. I am told next year the youngsters plan to win all the races!!? Down through the natural half pipe and the mouse gap again. Followed by the Cornice drop and the jumps along the side of the Edelweiss piste and then it was time to split up and head for home.

We headed back to pick up at Ski School and then it was time for Hot Chocolate. I hope you find these two routes interesting and worth a try. Even in poor light there are still places which are safe to have some fun and give a challenge.

The pistes everywhere today were quite soft from the start as the snow had not refrozen last night. This made it quite easy to ski in most areas although later in the day the bumps did become really soft and heavy. The jumps in the snowpark were also a lot safer with softer snow to cushion the landing, but they did need to take care not to catch a lump of soft snow.

One more day for the youngsters left. Time for an all day safari as there is no ski school on Saturday. Just a few photos from today over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page, enjoy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually forget the nation thing. They've made the French look remarkably silly in front of a whole range of nationalities we got talking to in the queue. (Yes, that's how dire it got. Brits talking to strangers...)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another couple of days over and the Easter weekend is fast approaching.

Part One.
Yesterday was my final day with my friends and with know Ski School it was time to go over to La Plagne and explore the fun slopes and snow parks.

Started from Les Arcs quite early and although the snow was hard packed and polished in places first thing in the morning, the pistes were not very busy so we had a very easy ski to the Vanoise Express and across to the top of the Fun Slope above Belle Plagne. A quick photo with the Snow Angel then onto the fun slope.

After a few spills it was down to Plagne Bellecote and back up to the kids Snowpark. They enjoyed it so much and also the Boarder Cross course below that we had to go back up and do it again!

Next it was up top of the Roche de Mio for a nice lunch and photos of the awesome views before heading down through the tunnel piste and back to Plagne Bellecote. Time for another run down the fun slope, this time not so busy which meant we had a chance for a few photos.

Then an easy ski down the Piste Facile (a very good addition to the Les Coches side) and back across the Vanoise Express.

Time to head to the Waterslide via the Snowpark. A chance for the last few jumps and then one brave boy did the waterslide and made it. Great job!!

After a final quick jump on the way to the Arpette chair it was time to head for home.

Yesterday was a really fun way to finish the week. Look forward to seeing you all next year. For anyone even with a six year old, it is well worth using your one day in La Plagne to explore the fun slopes and snow parks, The youngsters really enjoyed skiing in another area.

For anyone following these posts that would like more info of the routes we did with the youngsters this week when they were not in ski school. Send me a PM. By having lessons half the day and fun playtime the other half it really gives the youngsters a chance to develop their skills during the week.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another couple of days over and the Easter weekend is fast approaching.

Part Two.

After saying goodbye to the family yesterday. Today was a very different day. I met up with a friend and we headed over to La Plagne with the hope of doing the Bellecote North face. Conditions were just not that great so we changed our plans and went looking for spring snow on the south facing slopes instead.

First it was down Brown Trouser Ridge from the top of the Roche de Mio. Fun, but fast and icy. Then across the meadows back to the piste on hard packed snow with a light covering of fresh snow from last night.

Then a fast ski down to the Verdon Sud on the piste as the off piste areas were still cruddy. Up Verdon Sud and down through the rock and pistes. Back up again and this time a steeper line down nearer the lift which had very nice spring snow.

Up again and over to Plagne Centre before heading for Belle Plagne and lunch.

After a nice long lunch. Back over to Les Arcs and after a little detour to have a chat with the ESF it was back up the Peisey Chair and over to the Arc 1800 and a chance to see the course for tomorrow mornings championships. Good luck to the boys I know that are racing.

Finally a stop at the waterslide for some free entertainment, always funny watching the swimmers!!! and the little kids that make it!! then home!

All the pistes and off piste today were very hard packed and cruddy in the morning. There was a big freeze last night which due to the low temperatures did not really start to melt until mid morning on the south facing slopes and even on the north facing slopes it was still hard and cruddy at 4pm. The pistes did improve later in the day, but they were very polished in the busy areas. For anyone that has just arrived this weekend, try and follow the sun and keep on the south facing slopes as they become softer.

I have heard a rumor that Villaroger might be closing by the 17 April. If you are planning on going off the Aiguille Rouge, you need to do these routes before then or have a long hike.

I hope we have good spring conditions tomorrow, it is a very cold night again!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good first day today. Kids off to ski school, and a deliberately slower start for the snowboarders. By the time we made it out of 1950, the Vallee de l'arc was chopping up nicely to give some grip. A loop of Comborciere, Mont Blanc, Cachette and Carrelly chairs to return to 1950 to pick up kids from skischule.

With the piste conditions set to improve, we had a quick hot chocolate/coffee before taking the kids back down vallee de l'arc up the blue chair, down to (and up) Plagnettes and the blue Col de Chal / vallee de l'arc to the Bulle cafe for lunch. 1 and half pizza's and a sandwich was over kill for the five of us at lunch - eyes bigger than your belly, my Mum would say. We could likely have had a quarter pizza each and have lunch for the family for less than 15 euros... Great piste side spot thou and they also had the cycling (Paris/Roubaix) on the tv inside...

Youngest (6) wanted more skiing, so whilst the other two boys played in the snow with some french kids, i took him back up the Arcabulle and lapped the Col del Chal/Valle de l'arc. A warning of things to come, he was beside himself that he didn't beat his 'best speed' on ski tracks... so tomorrow, i don't think we'll be letting him use ski tracks (tbf, we track him so we can see where the ski instructors have been brave enough to take him, and we can then follow suit)

After that excitement, wife and two youngest went back to apartment and spent some time in the pool/jacuzzi, whilst eldest and i took advantage of softer snow to lap comborciere, cachette, carrely chairs again.

I think, on-piste not bad for time of year - seen worse, at least. Loving staying in 1950 - been 2000 residents for the past few years. Very 'ski in and outable' in comparison.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sometimes I am a bit slow picking up what other data is available and suspect to most of the readers of this forum how to suck eggs but I have just discovered the fatmap applecation. It marks many of the iteineraries in Paradiski.

https://fatmap.com/routeid/22824/Beaupraz/@45.5546442,6.7967884,3448.6283708,-20.0000000,107.7562782,2273.4698288,normal

Now to work out a way to download them to Viewranger.

To those going out for Easter have a great time and those unfortunately not have a good summer.

I'll be out in Les Arcs for a couple weeks in early summer if anyone is around and at the moment I'm researching walks up to Aiguille du st Espirit and the dome de la Sache (the last attempt failed due to excessive powder snow in late June, we couldn't even get to the Turia hut)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another blue sky day here, with pistes holding up very well. Snow clearly melting quite quickly away from the pistes around 1600 and 1800.

Skied down to Villaroger - pistes obviously soft in the lower region (with some pistes closed) but glorious snow up top. Aiguille Rouge black marked with 'warning - stones' but I only saw one small pebble on that run.

The resort remains very quiet, with no lift queues.

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today after stopping off at the race in Arc 1800 it was a fast ski day all over La Plagne looking for spring snow and playing in the snowpark to keep the youngsters happy.

We started with the Fun Slope above Belle Plagne and then headed across too the Snow Park, Had to do it twice as it was such fun.

Then across to Verdon Sud on the meadows for our first spring snow of the day. Not a bad start, even room to make a few fresh tracks of our own.

Then down one of the steeper routes near the chair before another route from the next ridge including a nice jump at the start.

Time to head for lunch and then up too the top of Roche de Mio and as the top lifts on the Glacier were closed it was down through the cliffs to the Bauches Chair instead.

Finally a ski down through the trees back towards the Vaonise Express and home.

By keeping on the sunny slopes most of the day we found good spring snow on and off piste most of the time. By leaving the north facing slops till late we had good snow down this shaded route later in the day.

Another really fun day with blue sky and good snow conditions for this late in the season.

Hope you enjoy the photos and videos of today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I spent last evening looking at the fatmap review of some of the pistes in Les Arcs (it doesn't review all of them) and find I largely agree with most of them. For example:

Lac
This run often catches people out - it's sometimes groomed at the top and looks very inviting, but in the middle section it narrows into a canyon - it's not particularly steep, but it is often un-groomed and usually has moguls. Be aware that if you are not confident skiing moguls you will struggle through the canyon. This run is often very busy as well - and it doesn't help that the vast majority of people who attempt it cannot ski moguls, so they stop in the middle of the run - this makes it very hard to get any rhythm. I'd suggest this run is one to avoid for most skiers and certainly boarders will not appreciate it.

Comborcière
The top of this difficult black run often looks good - but it's a good idea to ride the Comborcière chair before attempting this run to check what it's like at the bottom. It's nearly always moguled in the bottom half, sometimes icy and often lacks snow. In great snow cover this is a good run though, as it's steep and sustained.

Arolles
This is a great run. It's usually in good condition and there is some good snow-making lower down. Nice and wide with some big rollers and lots of turns to keep it interesting. A very worthwhile run in bad weather or flat light, where the trees allow you to see.

Cachette
One of the best pistes in the area. This run is wide and fun with plenty of snow that keeps it in good condition all season. It steepens up a little in the middle. Watch out for when you cross Arpette as you'll encounter slow moving skiers. This is a great run for carving... if you can handle the speed!!

Forêt
Starting at the top of Grizzly, this run traverses all the way down to Vallandry, but to ski this as a run for it's own sake is to be avoided. Jumping onto Forêt can be useful to access other runs or get between the resorts. It's busy, the gradient is slack and it's narrow, with less experienced skiers having to take up the whole run to turn. It's not something to ski for fun.

The only one I found myself disagreeing with was Roulles, which I would not describe as steep.

Perhaps we can start filling in the missing descriptions. The off piste stuff is much more comprehensive than the piste including one that states that certain death will follow a fall.

Shame the website itself is so flaky
ski holidays
A day of very mixed conditions with poor light quite often so not many photos today.

Started out overcast, brightened up as we headed down to Arc 1800 and the fun slope the long way using the Arpette and Belvedere pistes. The light stayed OK as we went back up the top to the Boarder Cross course in the Arc 2000 bowl. Even OK snow on the way down to the Marmottes Chair through the Mouse Gap and the Edelweiss piste.

When we reached the top of the Aiguille Rouge the mist was coming and going, but was mostly OK and the snow high up was still fresh as it had not re-frozen. We even managed a little side route off the piste before heading down the Aiguille Rouge piste all the way to the Soillett for a nice lunch.

'Why they are going to close this whole Villaroger ski area tomorrow evening when the Red piste is still in perfect condition having gone to the expense of installing the snow canons is beyond reason'.

This area could easily remain open until the end of the season. Perhaps if anyone at ADS knows why you are closing this area early before the end of the season you could share it with us!? Yes, we understand the Blue piste is now quite warn. But the red piste was great today!

After lunch it was back up the lifts and over to the Snowpark. Met up with friends so whilst the youngsters were doing their jumps it was time for a Hot Chocolate. Finally heading back to Arc 1600 and home.

The pistes in the morning started off quite firm with a thin layer of fresh snow. As the day progressed the conditions improved a little and the run down to Villaroger was very nice higher up. The pistes lower down quickly became quite soft and heavy as the day progressed. On the way home from the Snowpark into Arc 1600 they were very soft, but still OK with care and energy.

As we were leaving light snow had begun to fall. Tomorrow should be an interesting day. Hope you enjoy today's photos.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, saving money on staffing manning lifts, securing pistes etc?
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, that was not the reason they are giving although i think it is nearer the truth. All about the money. Not providing a good service to those that have bought a lift pass. The reason the ADS is giving is poor snow conditions which for the red piste is not true!
ski holidays
Today was the last chance to go down to Villaroger before they close the pistes and lifts. Time for one more day exploring the off piste runs off the back of the Aiguille Rouge before you must walk out!!

First we went to the top of the Aiguille Rouge with only a small queue and found some really nice spring snow going down onto the glacier. Then onto the Black piste and into the National park by one of the easier entrances.

Managed to find more good spring snow on the way down before joining the Lanchettes route to avoid a walk out and finishing on the piste down to Violettes Chair.

Back up and this time down another route with fresh untracked spring snow most of the way through the avalanche barriers back down to the Aiguille Rouge piste and all the way to Villaroger for lunch. With no queues on the lifts and few people using the pistes or on the off piste, it was a great couple of runs.

Both routes were in good condition with spring snow and plenty of places to make our own fresh tracks. Then onto the pistes and soft snow to the bottom.

In the afternoon conditions were very mixed with some firm snow together with soft spring snow and heavy slush on and off piste. Another really fun day in the National Park before the lifts close tonight!

It is a great pity they are closing this area as there is still plenty of good snow in the off piste areas and the Red Aiguille Rouge Piste is still in great condition for this time of year. Even the lifties I spoke with today did not understand why the area was being closed!!

Hope you enjoy the videos and photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
snow report
Thursday update...

Weather great.

Pistes in great condition, few stones appearing on Aiguille Rouge but not in many other places we've been. Firm first thing, softening up quick in the sun. But surprised how good condition bottom of Cachette/Mont Blanc is still in. 11am this morning and it was still great to ski/board on.

By 2 to 3pm it's very soft, but still great fun surfing on a board - still, it's super quiet and it's a quick trip up the Varet and limited waiting for the Aiguille Rouge cable car where it is still great snow in the afternoon. I've been earlier in March and not had as good conditions, tbh.

2 more days and then the long drive home, where i expect the rest of my passengers will be asleep before we leave Bourg!

1950 has been great. The last few years we've been in 2000 ( using Esprit Ski whilst the kids needed childcare) which is fine and we had no complaints. But the sheer convenience of 1950 and its facilities is fabulous. Truly ski in ski out. (although the snow is receding and we had to take the boards/ski's off 20 metres from the door today rather than the 10meters on day one Very Happy )

Tonight we dine out at Le Mazot for the annual cheese indulgence... I'll be rolling down the hill in the morning!
snow report
@johnE, Interesting reviews.

Lac, having just come down it - at 4pm on a warm day, on a board, i don't think it's one to 'avoid' as a boarder necessarily, esp. if you like exercising your legs. I agree with the description thou - the narrow canyon is one to bide your time and wait for a quieter moment to fully enjoy it.

la Foret....can't agree more. We took the 6 year olds along it to get from a to b yesterday, and even they were bored... "dad, it's too straight and flat...." Very Happy

We have particularly liked the new Secret this week, as it's one of the early runs to soften up. It's straight down the Valley De L'arc from 1950, which serves as a useful warm up, so it's a good 'first' run of the day.
latest report
Quote:

Lac, having just come down it - at 4pm on a warm day, on a board, i don't think it's one to 'avoid' as a boarder necessarily, esp. if you like exercising your legs. I agree with the description thou - the narrow canyon is one to bide your time and wait for a quieter moment to fully enjoy it.

@Richie_S, During busy periods it can easily become full of bodies. We sometimes do Mugaret/Secret as the first run of the day to get over to the 2000 valley. At times in January Secret was very polished and you needed sharp skis to handle it.
snow report
A few more rambling thoughts on the pistes of Les Arcs

My wife keeps telling me off for failing to use the current names of pistes but instead using the original names. I wonder why it is taking me so long to adapt to the new names so I looked at the worst offenders and I think I have an explanation. Let’s us start with a couple examples.

The first is the Cascades piste which runs from the bottom of the Marmot chair to Pre st Espirit and is now known the Vallee de l’ Arc. This piste was created by joining the old Vallee de l’ Arc piste, the piste de Marmottes and the Cascades piste and giving them a common name. Though this follows a nice natural line down the valley I cannot think of it as a single piste. To me it it is still 3 pistes joined together. At this point I thought - does anyone ski this as one single piste nonstop top to bottom? Just as I was about to answer no it occurred to me that we often ski non stop from the top of the Grand Col to Pre st Espirit for lunch. SO perhaps I should start thinking of it as a single piste and call it by its current name.

The second example is Les Sources; previously a red piste from the Arpette restaurant to Arc 1600 and now renamed Arpette and with a new section towards the Mont Blanc piste a blue. To me this is not really a natural line. It crosses too many other pistes such as Belvedere, Gollet and a hosts of reds. I return to Arc 1600 frequently from the top of the Bois de l’Ours chairlift yet I cannot recall ever going all the way down on this piste. I still think of it under as a number of different pistes and find I can describe my route home easier by using these different names. Sorry, to me it will always be Les Sources

The third example is Gollet (I know it still exists but only as a link route from Les Sources, see above, to 1800) which was a blue piste from the Arpette restaurant to a gentle track that finishes near the Combettes chair lift. It is now called Traversee. Actually Traversee is a nicely cobbled together run. It starts at the top of the Derby lift and as the name suggests traverses all the way to 1600. I’ve just never done it in its entirety. Perhaps I should use the new name but to me Gollet finishes where the old Gollet chair started and I just cannot change. Actually thinking about it why don’t they let it continue and change the name of Bois du Saulle to Arpette 0 and make a real journey of it.

These are all fine blue pistes and perhaps they should be celebrated a bit more as long interesting, varied pistes suitable for beginners. What other resorts boast so many continuous blue runs dropping circa 800m. Never mind some long continuous red pistes such as Col du la Chal, a 1000m drop to Vallandry.

Have a good summer everyone. I will do some exploring as to the line of the old Tommelet bblack piste

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 19-04-19 9:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Been in Vallandry since Saturday and had a great week. Conditions have been good for this late in the season.

This is our third time in Peisey Vallandry but yesterday was our first time using the Vanoise Express and going over to La Plagne. I just didn't like it compared to Les Arcs. My main dislikes were the lack of decent signage, and the some of the blue runs seemed to consist of endless moguls. I'm an intermediate skier at best but did not like it. Having 45 minutes to get from Roche de Mio back to the Vanoise didn't help!

Finally, a bit of advice needed. I found a Go Pro on the edge of a piste the other day, very close to going over. I picked it up to hand in at ticket office, but my friend said they'd probably just take it for themselves. So apart from watching the footage to try and identify the owner (my son's idea), what should I do with it?
snow report
Been in Vallandry since Saturday and had a great week. Conditions have been good for this late in the season.

This is our third time in Peisey Vallandry but yesterday was our first time using the Vanoise Express and going over to La Plagne. I just didn't like it compared to Les Arcs. My main dislikes were the lack of decent signage, and the some of the blue runs seemed to consist of endless moguls. I'm an intermediate skier at best but did not like it. Having 45 minutes to get from Roche de Mio back to the Vanoise didn't help!

Finally, a bit of advice needed. I found a Go Pro on the edge of a piste the other day, very close to going over. I picked it up to hand in at ticket office, but my friend said they'd probably just take it for themselves. So apart from watching the footage to try and identify the owner (my son's idea), what should I do with it?
snow report
Watch, try and identify, if not facebook and resort Staff surely? Doubt they'd rip someone off and it would be good news story for them. The owner would 100 % go to resort Staff.
snow report
@johnE, ref the Vallee de l'Arc - I thought ( I haven't checked) it was still separated out, but called VdL'A 1, 2 and 3 - which implies both a single route and three separate pistes (and starts at the top of Arandelieres..)

Ahha! - just looked: in fact its 1,2,3 and 4!!! Shows a certain lack of originality one feels.

Actually on the Les Arcs website, the bit around 1950 is a right mess. I really can't work out which piste is what name. Whilst I guess it matters little for 'old hands' who navigate by landmarks, what a PITA for newcomers.

https://en.lesarcs.com/piste-map.html

And of course, we have our own family names for certain sections - Sandy's Gully, Dick's Cleft of Pleasure, Broken Nose for example mean little to anyone else.
"The Blue Hell From 2000 to 1950" is of course familiar to everyone...but is apparently known to the cartographers as "Baptiste Giabaconi". WTF? I'll think I'll stick with Blue Hell.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, tell us more about Dick's cleft of pleasure. It sounds fun
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pmidds wrote:

Your friend is a-hole. The resort take lost property very seriously. There is a Les Arcs intranet site where anything lost and handed to staff is published and all places check against this list. Basically your friend labelled all Les Arcs staff as thieves...
ski holidays
What a great couple of days.

Yesterday we did the North Face of the Bellecote down the Canadian Couloir. Although from the easier entrance, there was still good chalky snow for the first 500m and then Spring snow that became heavy nearer the bottom. Using a zig zag route across the meadows we managed to get within 10m of the road before walking.

Today we stayed in Les Arcs and headed up the Aiguille Rouge and despite the Villaroger lifts being closed managed to find some very good Spring snow in the National Park before heading back to the main ski area using the Pre Espirit link.

Overall in the last few days all the pistes we used were still in very good condition for this late in the season. You can still easily ski down to all the areas that remain open and if you follow the sun and keep out of the wind then the spring snow is fun to ski.

Anyone that has just arrived for the final week of the season should have a great time.

Our final stop today was the waterslide. Well done to all those that gave it a try. Great job those that made it across and good effort too those that took a swim.

Tomorrow the weather is likely to be rather mixed. I will post another update of conditions tomorrow evening.

I hope you all enjoy your holidays and anyone that wants to meet up please send me a PM.

I hope you enjoy the photos. I shall post the videos tomorrow as they take a little more time to make into a little movie. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
Home tonight after a great week in Les Arcs 1950, culminated (for me) with a successful waterslide (twice!) on the snowboard. (It impressed the kids at least, although our 6 year got a little upset that Daddy might not make it...)

It's the latest we've been in the season, first time in 1950, first time drive down, having stayed in 2000 for a few years as a family on an Esprit Ski package.

I'll be posting a review in due course in Trip Reviews in case it's helpful to anyone.
snow report
I was looking through some of my old photographs and came across this one from Les arc in 2004. It was off the Arandelieres piste heading to the top of the Varet telecabine. I feel sure it is the Robert Blanc piste but cannot see any piste markers.

Can someone identify it.

snow conditions
@johnE, Thats Arc2000 in the distance. Not sure you would get the good a view of 2000 of Arandelieres, I reckon it was off Varet somewhere.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, We had come off the top of the AR got to the junction and the end of the glacier where Arandelieres, the red, goes left and the black goes right. We went a short distance down the red and saw this attractive looking gully heading off towards 2000 and took it. It must be Robert Blanc but for some reason I do not recognise it.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
It must be Robert Blanc but for some reason I do not recognise it.
I think it's the Robert Blanc itinerary. Don't ski it very often as its a slow turn-around if there are queues for the AR cablecar. Much prefer to lap around the Lanchettes chair and ski around the Genepi area, which has a good gradient all the way down, easy access & ski out and loads of space for fresh tracks.
latest report
@johnE, I'd say pretty likely to be the Robert Blanc gully. The reason you don't recognise it is the photo doesn't show it full of moguls the size of small bungalows!

Unless... you've come quite a way down, then veered right again, below the height of the top of the Varet: there's a few like this below the rock-face, to the right of the old KL (see Snowcrazy for details)
snow report
What a crazy weather day today!
We started out with a lazy morning going up a little later than normal and then cruising over to the Arc 2000 bowl.

The sun was trying to break through and we had some nice spring snow on piste although the light was mostly flat. The off piste became soft very quickly and the wind was blowing most of the day. It was clear today would be a piste day.

We went up the Varet gondola, but the Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col were closed so headed down through the Arc 2000 bowl. Then across to the Piesey Vallandry side. Some nice skiing on very empty pistes. Before heading down to the Transarc mid station and back to the bottom of the Vallandry Chair.

After a very nice lunch with friends it was time to head for home. However the weather god's did not play ball and the rain started to poor and the wind blow hard. After saying my goodbyes, all alone I headed up the Vagere Chair in the sudden storm, but then wow!! The winds blow the clouds away and as I reached the top the sun came out and the wind suddenly dropped!.

What a great way to finish the day. All alone on the mountain, it seemed most people had gone home when the storm arrived, I headed down empty pistes after getting a few photos.

What I thought would be a poor day turned into one of those strange weather days where you never new what the weather would do next!

Having skied across most open pistes and used all the open lifts on the Les Arcs side today. Tomorrow we hope to repeat the day in better weather, maybe even with a few off piste runs before the storms return on Friday over on the La Plagne side.

I hope you enjoy the few photos I took today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

For anyone needing an end of season service for their skis. They just did a great job on my skis at Polairestar Ski shop at the bottom of the Funi in Bourg. They are open until Saturday so hurry if you want your skis serviced before you store them away ready for next season. https://www.polairestar.com/

Very sad to say the lifts close for the winter this Saturday. The summer season begins in July!

@johnE, Yes it is the Robert Blanc Couloir. Always a nice ski in the right conditions. But not really a good idea without avalanche gear in the old days. Nowadays they almost never open the area until it has been fully avalanche protected as it is a Freeride Zone to skiers left of the couloir which also includes the Robert Blanc piste nature. Even still it can sometimes slide. Take care!
snow report
The sun came out very briefly and the wind started to blow right from the start of the morning. Despite warnings of possible lift closures we kept to our plan and headed over to La Plagne for the day.

Starting from Les Coches we soon found the higher lifts on the Bellecote and Roche de Mio would not be opening. Time for plan B.

Over to Belle Plagne and down into Plagne Bellecote where we were more sheltered from the wind. The pistes were in good condition and so we decided to make a tour of whatever we could find open.

Made it to the top of the Grand Rochette and found the wind again. Champagny side was mostly closed so back towards Plagne Centre via the Indian Gully. Then up to the Glass Restaurant above Montalbert and all the way down through the forest to Le Forperet Restaurant for a nice lunch.

Into the village and all the way back across La Plagne to the Vanoise Express. Another fast ski to Arc 1800 and then past the waterslide which was deserted again today when we passed and down to Arc 1600 then home.

It was a very windy day with the light coming and going, but the pistes were generally in good conditions everywhere we went in the morning. In the afternoon the pistes became quite soft and slushy. Despite the wind it was still warm and a pleasant day to make a grand tour of the ski area. Even the marmots came out during the sunny spells.

Tomorrow they are predicting more bad weather. It will be an interesting day!
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, you were right to head to La Plagne - much of the best Les Arcs skiing was inaccessible due to closed lifts (wind). Still, I managed to enjoy getting to know my new skis Very Happy .
latest report
@Alastair, OK what are your new skis? Please tell us aout them
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy