Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all. Some good advice there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eggman99,
Quote:

1. How likely is the road from BSM to 1950 to be cleared of snow?

Very very likely. They make a big effort to keep the road clear and all the traffic keeps it clear. Snow can build up as the traffic becomes lighter during the night and the ploughs become less frequent. I have had to put chains on at 3 in the morining before now, but it was and had been snowing steadily all the previous day. Have a look at a livecam sometime during the day if it is not actually snowing heavily don't worry.

If it was me (and it is not, and I am not a great worrier about such things) I wouldn't even bother with snow chains.

@Frank Spencer, Winter tyres on a hire car in April?????
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:

@Frank Spencer, Winter tyres on a hire car in April?????

Flying into Lyon too?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An update on the easy blacks.

We did roulles yesterday afternoon. Though there was a warning about thin snow cover apart from a few bare patches below source it was good with soft small bumps. 7 year old Zoe had no problems with it. On the old piste maps it was marked as a red.

This morning we started with muegret followed by secret. It was exellent and very easy for a black. In fact the bottom of secret was the hardest part due to softening snow. It took only a couple minutes to do the whole run.

We then thought we would try refuge - it was shut. It often is in April due, I think, some rare alpine flowers beneath the snow.

Finally a word on how crowdedthe resort is. When I got on the cachette lift this morning there were 7 empty chairs in front of us. Looking across at the Mont blanc lift showed one person in total on all the chairs visible. It is, however, more busy in the 2000 valley, but still no one waiting for the arcabule lift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Thanks for the update, flying out on Sunday and really looking forward to it, it's not an area I've been to before. Fingers crossed the snow that's forecast this week arrives!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RedorDead, The snow that is here at the moment is very good. Typical spring - firm in the morning, then developing that lovely few cm of soft over a firm base becoming heavy late in the afternoon (remember the lifts don't close until after 17:00). Ours was a bit heavy towards the bottom this afternoon but the snow on Fond Blanc was good but I coudln't actually see anything the light was that flat.

I think you will have a great week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedorDead, as @johnE says the pistes are in very good condition subject to the conditions changing as the day goes on. This seems true for the whole area - I skied down to Plagne Montalbert on really nice red runs yesterday. The top up forecast will be a bonus. Enjoy your week!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello again everyone. Sorry for the lack of posts during the past week, but I have been very busy. Time for an update.

The sun has been shining for the past week and the pistes are smooth and hard every morning in all areas. The off piste that has been in the sun and piste nature areas are re-frozen so best avoided in the morning.

In the afternoon the lower pistes become soft and slushy which is fun if you like this kind of snow. The higher pistes are quiet nice to ski after they have softened up a little. The off piste higher up becomes very soft in the sunny areas.

If you want to enjoy your day it has been best to follow the sun around the pistes.

If you are confident in your turns the off piste is really fun on the smooth chalky firm snow in many shady North facing areas. But be warned, a missed turn could result in a long slide!

After a week of skiing mostly around the pistes today we had a fast ride over to the Bellecote North face and had a good ski down the North face. We were really lucky and still did not need to hike out. But only just.

The Waterslide is open and although the pistes are very quiet right now. There were still a few people taking the chance of staying dry.

Hope you enjoy the photos on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/ The firm chalky snow today was really fun!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anyone got a recommended chalet for 2 families of 4 easter 2020? Close to the slopes preferred, and not really fussed about where, so Arc 1600, Peisey-Vallandry all fine....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks as if the list of easy blacks is diminshing by the day. Today we went over to the Vallandry sector to do Combe (a delightful red at the very edge of the resort) in doing so we did the top of Ecureuils the easy black in that sector, which though signposted as stoney was good. Combe and the bottom section of Ecureuils were both closed. On my old piste map the lower section of Ecureuils is marked as a red anyway. After cruising around the top end of Vallandry we set off to Bosses. Even though we could see the whole run and it looked to have complete snow cover it was closed.

The resort is still virtually deserted. We called into the Abrevoir last night. There were only two other customers - playing pool. The road outside our apartment which is usually jammed with parked cars is almost empty. When we went up Clocheret we were the only people on the lift. I've never seen the resort so quiet. Not even in the summer.

The weather is starting to close in - we can no longer see Mont Blanc from the apartment window nor many of the nearer hills. I expect it will snow tonight
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi
Eagerly watching the webcams ahead of Saturday arrival. Looks like a lot of well needed snow overnight (1950 village was beginning to look a bit sparse yesterday) and still snowing now (Thurs am). Can anybody in resort give a weather update please?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eggman99, we have the same forecast available as you. I use metrofrance for tignes or la plagne.
Any way, the last few days the snow has been very good. In fact I would say better than Christmas. It was getting thin and slushy going down to the vanoise express yesterday, but that was about it.here in 1600 it has been good right down to the combettes lift. The pistes below 1600 to la grange are closed.
It has snowed overnight and there is about 10cm of fresh stuff outside the apartment. It is still snowing but the cloud level is very low.
In the long term I'm not sure this new snow is going to make much difference. It's too light. However the base is fairly thick and dense. It should last out the season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A bluebird day here with just a little thin high cloud to start with. Pistes everywhere I went (including La Plagne) in exceptionally good condition, much refreshed by the new snow. Resort still empty, so a really exceptional day's skiing.

Watching the weather forecasts with interest....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As @Alastair says it has been a fantastic day here, brilliant snow, almost deserted pistes and sunshine one of the best days of the time I've been here this season. It is Mich better than Christmas and perhaps as good a April day that I can recall.

Perhaps I should revise my tunnel crossing on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back over to the Bellecote again today as it was changeover day. Not many people around so straight onto all the lifts both on the Les Arcs side and the La Plagne side.

The snow on the pistes first thing in the morning was very hard packed having had a heavy frost during the night before. It really was like skiing on boiler plate first thing. Oh the joys of spring skiing. My advice, stay in the sun and start a little later when the pistes have softened up if you have the option.

Once up onto the glacier we headed for a repeat of yesterday. First the Friolin Bowl, but with a different route to find more fresh tracks. We found very mixed conditions this time. Breakable crust at the start where the snow had re-frozen, but then powder again in the shady areas and room to all put down our own lines, very nice! The exit was much harder work with more mixed snow. But all agreed it was worth the effort.

Once back onto the Bellecote Glacier and found a nice line down the Petit Face. Good soft snow from the top all the way to the traverse towards the meadows. We managed to find some good spots to put down a few lines, but there are many tracks everywhere and the snow was quite changeable at times.

The meadows out were better than yesterday and we were able to ski to the finish without taking our skis off.

If you are planing to do these routes the timing is now everything. True spring conditions so best to be finished by 14.30 and avoid the very soft heavy snow later in the afternoon.

A nice drink to finish then back home in time too watch the Grand National Horse race.

Tonight and tomorrow they are forecasting light snow and poor weather. The fresh snow will be good. Fingers crossed it does not rain!

Hope you enjoy the photos and little video I tried today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
It was starting to get a bit busier in les arcs today with a lot more French skiers than we've seen all week. It appears many were only up for the day taking advantage of the discounted Saturday lift passes. As we were leaving it was noticible that many more cars had parked on the road and more were arriving. However, we still had almost deserted pistes and chair lifts all day.

The snow was a tad firm this morning and where the piste bashers had been the juddering was such the I thought my fillings might fall out. Of course the pistes softened nicely during the day.

Overall we have had a good 9 days skiing. The resort has been in terrific condition with snow. We plan to come back the same week next year
snow report
It snowed overnight.... and kept snowing this morning... and is still snowing now at 4pm.
Because of all the snow-cloud visibility has been poor all day, wherever I went. There were pockets of goodness, but generally those who can read Braille with their feet faired the best in these conditions.

All pistes are in really good condition, from the top of Col de la Chal and aiguille rouge down to Arc 1600.
As already said, the ‘easy’ blacks are seemingly closed (ecureuils and bosses) due to thin cover, however I saw a number of people dodge the barriers.
snow report
Combes, the black from the lanchette chair was closed yesterday but it looked good from the chair so we decided to try it anyway. It was terrible , rock hard moguls and ice cookies. Roulles, one of the easiest blacks, was open and apart from a few bare patches pretty good. My wife reports that muegret was very good and very easy for a black.

Anyway I'm now sat in the euro tunnel terminal waiting for a train and feeling very envious of those of you still in the resort. Have a good holiday.
ski holidays
Travelling out on Friday night, driving and arriving late Saturday afternoon/early evening...

Latest forecast https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid

Now showing snow showers during the afternoon and 'heavy' snow (well 11cm overnight)... Maybe the 'insurance policy' of a pair of snowsocks will end up being of use/re-assurance!

And, if it comes true, what a great start that will be to the weeks holiday!
snow conditions
More snow last night meant another powder day today. Despite the school holidays having begun again, it was not as busy as I had expected and the queue on the Aiguille Rouge was only maybe two cable cars at around 10.30am with small queues on the other lifts we used throughout the day. The morning was very good, the afternoon was still good in the right places. But by 2pm the air had become warm and the snow lower down was heavy. To get the best out of these conditions you need to be here right after it has snowed and use the shade to enjoy the early powder and the sun to find the spring snow.

The pistes we used today were firm with a light dusting in the morning, but by the afternoon they had become quite sticky in some places, but still OK if you kept your speed. The Waterslide was a hit as always.

However later in the day it became colder and even a little snow started to fall. Tomorrow should be more fun, this time on the Bellecote we hope.

Take a look at the photos and videos to see what the conditions were like today.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
Established in a bijoux apartment in 2000. Clearly a naval architect involved in getting so much into so little... I almost regret having so much space in my place in 1950. Almost...

Managed to make it to George's birthday in his eponymous bar last night but after a full day's travel left before it got messy.

Weather looks Fabulous for our 3day sojourn, will update later.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Sorry I have missed you. We came home on Sunday. For most of this trip there was only my wife and me in our apartment. 35m2 felt huge and we never even went into the bunk room.

In fact this may have been the cheepest ski holiday I have ever had.

The reason were:

a/ we have our own apartment
b/ we have our own skis etc, which we service ourselves
c/ we already have season passes
d/ we only ate out one evening
e/ just drank water with lunch instead of the usual sparkling water or orangina. I ate plat du jour most days - steak and chips, moules frites etc, good quality and prices ranged from 13 to 16 euros. Even with coffee the bill for the pair of us was typically 30 euros
d/ we only went to the Abrevoir twice, but usually had a drink on the mountain before finishing for the day
e/ we did our shoppping in the Super U in Bourg (OK the fish counter was tempting and I did splash out on St. Jaques, cockles, prawns etc). I think I only went to the bakers in Arc 1600 a couple time for breakfast.
f/ we drove down costing about £550, which was the the major cost as there were only 2 of us in the car

So one's wife and one had a really good 9 days of skiing for about £500 each in one of the world's best resorts.
snow conditions
@johnE, not wishing to pee on yer bonnie but surely there are still costs attached to a/b/c, they are just ongoing paid up front costs?

We also picnic for lunch negating e wink
snow report
@Arctic Roll, slumming it? I would probably feel at home... Plastic bathroom?

@johnE, it was good to see you. The Plat du Jour at the Altiport is my most frequent lunch. Very nice curry today.
snow conditions
Slopes still in very good condition although the lower ones turning pretty slushy about 14.30. Only a few clouds in the sky today.
ski holidays
@Layne, The apartment would cost the same whether we are there or not, similarly the skis cost no more if I use them or not. There was no damage to them over the week. The season pass had paid for itself on previous trips. We only decided to go at the start of March. Yes we could have saved more by having picnics or even calling back to the apartment for lunch. Or even more by taking my smaller car than my wive's big one, or seaking out a cheeper ferry crossing. But we didn't.
latest report
Wow. What a day today was. Sun shining from before 9am to beyond 6pm. Sadly the ecruille black is still closed, but for comedy purposes the top marker #13 (which is really no steeper than a blue) is still accessible!

Great conditions throughout, although after a long lunch at the Altiport watching people succeed (and epically fail) at the water challenge we spent the afternoon in the Arc2000 bowl which kept its condition well into the afternoon. Tomorrow’s forecast is more cloudy, and Bergfex is suggesting snow on Thursday afternoon/evening.
ski holidays
@jamescollings, on the matter of the easier blacks, Muguet (as previously suggested by @johnE) was in very good condition this morning around 11am - well pisted and wide. You can check out its condition riding up on the Comborciere chair - it leads into the Secret (Red) piste which you can check out at the same time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Made it to the Bellecote Glacier as planned and although very well tracked on the normal Petit Face route the snow was still light and fluffy higher up from the recent snowfall..

Lower down it became rather lumpy and then very soft as we neared the river bed. The final section was quite heavy and sticky. If you plan to do off piste routes, whilst these temperatures continue it is best to be finished by 1pm and be careful of wet snow slides that can knock you over.

Taking the normal exit down the river bed meant we had to take our skis off a couple of times for a few short walks.

The pistes on the way over to the Bellecote Glacier in the morning were hard packed and very polished in the busy places. On the return the pistes were softer and easier to ski, but still hard work lower down where the snow had become heavier.

The Waterslide was fun on the way home although I think people are getting better as I did not see many swimmers today.

Hope you enjoy the photos from today. Sorry no video this time. Tomorrow should be another interesting day as the weather is forecast to change again.
snow conditions
@Alastair. Good shout. I checked out Muguet after lunch and it is still perfect. Secret was a little bit more ‘special’ afterwards Smile (lumpy and soft).

I’ve bailed on the idea of getting my wife down a black. She’s happy on the reds this week, and why spoil a good thing, eh? Very Happy

On the subject of the water slide though. I understand you could bring spare clothing if you end up swimming, but surely your boots would be ruined for days afterwards?
ski holidays
@jamescollings, I would have thought so. I haven't tried it myself but it's good entertainment to watch.
ski holidays
@jamescollings, my son reports that your boots and trouser bottoms get a bit wet even if you succeed. I have one friend (male) who did it stark naked apart from his boots. He did not fall in but the cold dampened his exhibitionism somewhat.
ski holidays
Having tried and failed in the past I can report that the boots dry out quite quickly once you get the liners out and back in a warm apt. The chilly bit is skiing back to 1950 squelching all the way.

Lovely piste conditions yesterday, as we covered a great deal of the resort. Still good nick above 2000 even at 5pm Peisey, 1600, still happily accessible without too much heavy stuff mid afternoon. Overnigh freeze, with Blue skies this morning, expecting a little more chill. I think the two word summary: unexpectedly grand.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, I’m off to Winchester for the day so pleased to read your report thanks Evil or Very Mad
snow report
With friends visiting this week, whilst some were in Ski school a few of us went for a piste ski around Les Arcs for a change.

In the morning we went down through Arc 1950 and all the way to Comborciere chair. Then Mont Blanc piste to Arc 1600. Next up Cachette chair and over to Arc 1800 and the fun slope. Finally back up to the Lodge and over the big rollers to the Carreley Chair. From the top back towards the Marmottes chair over the small jumps at the side of the Edelweiss piste. Then a short route down the Vallee de l'arc blue piste to the bottom of the Marmottes Chair again. Finally up the Arcabulle chair to the Col de la chal and all the way down the Plagnettes red and then plan de eaux blue pistes to Arc 1950 for lunch. This tour used almost only blue pistes, so suitable to most skiers.

After lunch with the weather changing we headed too Bois de l'ours chair and over to the snowpark. After a few jumps in poor light it was back down to the fun slope and then over to the waterslide for a nice hot chocolate (only watching the fun today). Then back into the Arc 2000 bowl and down edelweiss piste before one final run down from the top of Marmottes and a drink before home.

The pistes in the morning were very firm with some well polished areas around some busy junctions. Later in the morning as it became warmer they softened and were quite good to ski. After lunch they had become much softer, but due to poor light at times it was quite challenging.

Not often I do a piste day and although busy on some pistes overall it was a fun ski around Les Arcs and if the weather holds up tomorrow we hope to get to the other areas we did not reach tomorrow.

For those looking for piste ski routes. These are two fun routes to follow starting and finishing in Arc 1950 taking in a number of the play areas. Give them a try!
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
For those looking for piste ski routes. These are two fun routes to follow starting and finishing in Arc 1950 taking in a number of the play areas. Give them a try!

Are these on the piste map? I was out over New Year and don't recall seeing any routes marked? Would have been a fun day out I reckon.
latest report
Another very mixed day today. Started off quite flat light and cloudy, then a few brighter spells which did not last long followed by more clouds and light snow to finish the day with poor visibility again.

Despite the poor conditions the older youngsters did not seem to mind and disappeared fast too their ski lessons which they said they enjoyed a great deal. Whilst they were off having fun we went for a ski around Les Arcs mostly on piste again.

Here are two more routes which might be worth a try if you have youngsters with you that like a little challenge.

Our before lunch route today. Starting from the Marmotte Chair. A ski down to the heated Pre Saint Esprit chair, very popular, followed by Plagnettes Chair up to the top of the Col de la Chal into the mist. A long ski down beside the Boardercross and into the hidden half pipe off piste (well just). Then through the bumps on the Edelweiss piste and then using the Marmottes and Arcabulle chair for another run down from the top of the Transarc this time on the Plan des Eaux piste all the way to the Marmotte chair. Up the chair and all the way down to the Chalet de Pre Saint Esprit for lunch. Not a bad mornings skiing for someone yet to turn seven years old!

After a nice lunch it was time for our afternoon route with the older guys that were having ski lessons in the morning.

First it was straight up Marmottes chair and the Varet Gondola. We had intended to go up the Aiguille rouge Cable car, but it closed just as we arrived due to the poor weather. So down the Arandelieres Red and over a few little jumps before heading up Plagnettes and over to the Peisey Vallandry side via the Grand Renard Red and Renard Blue to the fun slope. A ride down the fun slope and then onto the Derby Chair. By now the visibility was quite poor, but we pushed on and skied around the Traverse piste all the way back to the Fun slope in Arc 1800. This time we went for the large rollers, too sticky to get much air and then a fast ski into Arc 1800. Up the Vagere Chair with the intention of heading over to the Snowpark and Waterslide, but with poor weather and getting worse we headed back to the Arc 2000 bowl. Time for a little more fun. Down the Plan piste and a drop off the side through the mouse hole (a little gap in the rocks), over the bumps and down onto the jumps at the side of the Edelweiss piste. Up Marmottes chair again and finally back to Arc 2000 for our Hot chocolate and to pick up the youngest from Ski School.

I hope you found these routes interesting. Well worth a try if you fancy mixing it up for the youngsters when the visibility is not that great, but still giving them a challenge. The weather was the biggest issue today. The snow was softer than yesterday from the start which was nice, but it became quite heavy later in the day on all the pistes. The small off piste sections we did were quite nice with soft snow on a firm base and even the bumps were quite easy turn on. Despite the weather they all agreed it had been a fun day.

Weather permitting we still need to get down the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger and explore that side of Les Arcs.

Fingers crossed the visibility improves tomorrow!

@kitenski, No these route are made up from my head, I try to figure out what the youngsters will enjoy in the conditions we have on the day then make up the routes to keep then interested and having fun. That way they do not complain about the weather and just think about how to ski. It seems to work! Very Happy
ski holidays
Waiting at BsM for coach to Chamberey, leg 4 of the 9 legs home. As above, weather yesterday wasn't great, but the snow quality made up for the lack of vis. IE you could trust your turns without having to wonder if is was going to surprise you and spit you out.
Was getting a bit soft at the bottom of Aigle late morningrning, indeed was raining in Peisey /Vallndry: for the geeks amongst you, the snow line was at pillar 9 of the Grizzly lift.
Can't see bottom of Myrtilles lasting the end of the season, as has no snow canons.

Nice birthday lunch at Chalet de l' Arc and more blind skiing in the afternoon around the 2000 bowl.

Overall tho a fabulous 3 days with much skiing, and a contrasting attitude to the 14 & 7day trips we usually take. Now... If only we lived closer...
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
Waiting at BsM for coach to Chamberey, leg 4 of the 9 legs home.......................

and they are?
ski holidays
Quote:

Arctic Roll wrote:
Waiting at BsM for coach to Chamberey, leg 4 of the 9 legs home.......................

and they are?

I assume the first 3 legs go: bus to 1600, funicular to Bourg, bus from funicular to bus station, but what are the next 6?

@Arctic Roll, Do you leave all your gear at your apartment or take it home with you? With 10 bags totalling 80kg our 7 legs returning from skiing in Japan was an interesting exercise in logistics and counting.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy