Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost to fly seems to have risen sharply.

Poster: A snowHead
I attended the PSB and flying from Heathrow to Geneva via BA was approx £115 return. Looking to fly on the same route and times for the EOSB and the flights are around £167 for the same thing. Now before you say 'well it's Easter innit', that isn't the case as I entered far earlier and later dates to see if that was the reason, but it didn't make much odds and in fact early April was nearer £200. Is it better to wait a bit (do they come down?) and take a chance or bite the bullet?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bite the bullet. As a frequent flyer (for work) I can tell you that they only go up!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I heard much the same from friends flying frequently to Madeira. Airlines hedging against extra Brexit costs?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bite the bullet - unlikely to go down. Cheaper flights around probably if you look at other London airports/ different airlines. First two weeks of April are Easter holidays for some schools.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@panaga52, my thoughts too, until I recently delayed booking a flight for my son until the following morning, only to find it had dropped by £60 (one-way) overnight. No signs of a sale on the BA website either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, just saw where you’re located. Worth looking at EasyJet from Southend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Geneva from Bristol is very steep at the moment. Innsbruck bargainous in comparison.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i really don't understand flight pricing and tend to live in a world where I believe they know it's me and that I'm daft enough to pay up... I looked at flights for eosb about a month ago and they were eye wateringly expensive, easyjet from Manchester, I dithered and contemplated driving. Ciara booked the same flights last week about £100 less than my search.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kittya wrote:
i really don't understand flight pricing and tend to live in a world where I believe they know it's me and that I'm daft enough to pay up... I looked at flights for eosb about a month ago and they were eye wateringly expensive, easyjet from Manchester, I dithered and contemplated driving. Ciara booked the same flights last week about £100 less than my search.

Do you own a Mac or iPhone?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always use private mode in your browser when looking up prices, otherwise the cookies will negate any beneficial drop in prices when you go back to a web page .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:

Do you own a Mac or iPhone?

No. All android. Never used a private browsing, never thought about it... Embarassed

Anyhow, glad I didn't buy them and still I'll be on the plane Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't understand how they work it all out either.
We usually go away in the first or second week of Jan (EJ, Newcastle - Geneva return) but aren't this year. Out of interest I didn't cancel the sky scanner alerts and in the past few days the price has dropped from a high of 90-odd to a low of 34 pp yesterday. It has sat mostly in the mid seventies for the last couple of months.
I'll bear that in mind next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its supply & demand.
We booked the day flights came available for our group trip & its costing £93 each including hold luggage.
Its now £178 for the same flight with luggage
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Geneva to Southampton £12.22 on January 17th 2019
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roguevfr wrote:
Always use private mode in your browser when looking up prices, otherwise the cookies will negate any beneficial drop in prices when you go back to a web page .

+1

Hate to say it, but in a previous role (where people would compare pricing & often come back to the site a few times before purchasing) we were instructed to do similar based on cookies, AND also intelligence around repeat visits based on a fraud analysis service (one may view that as a way around cookie lifetime/being cleared/private browsing).
snow report
Opted to fly for Easter this year as not going to chance the doggie and the eurotunnel the first weekend after Brexit. Out on Monday 8th and coming back on Wed 17th 2 x adults + 2 x young adults = £318 and used some AVOIS to get a saving on £240. All with bags in hold. I thought we did quite well.
ski holidays
In my original opening post I stated that BA were going charge £167 to make the return trip from Heathrow to Geneva & back, however I didn't include the extra cost of luggage which then bought the fare up considerably, (bearing in mind it was around £115 all in before Xmas) Mad
After spending some time at looking at every option from various London airports (inc Southend) and also looking at flying to Genoble too and getting a transfer from there, the most cost-effective flights whilst still having sensible flight times were exiting from Gatwick via Easyjet to Geneva and flying back to the UK via BA to Heathrow. The total cost (5 Adults) inc luggage was £140 per passenger, so still well cheaper than using BA both ways, so not too bad in the end. The BA outway going fare is so much more than the return leg. Mad
snow report
I had a last minute schedule change a couple of weeks ago. Meant I needed to book onto a LGW-GVA one way flight roughly 3 hours before departure. Fully expected to pay £200+ for the privilege. Instead the one-way fare was only 27CHF.

Imagine my surprise when I boarded to find that there were only 2 empty seats on the entire aircraft of 180 seats. Was flying with colleagues who had booked months in advance for over £100.

Not sure what that proves if anything but it's interesting, or at least I thought so.
snow report
For anyone going more than once in a season from London airports its well worth looking at the BA flight pass options. I and friends have used these very successfully and prices vary between £110 and £150 return with luggage, at any time of day/year.

In my experience the whole cookies/repeat visits leading to airline price changes on the BA and Easyjet websites is an urban myth, resulting from the fluidity of the airline pricing engines. I’m happy to stand corrected if anyone can point me to a specific example where it happens (I.e. price goes up on repeated visits, drops on cookie clearance). Should be easy to test.
snow report
I think that what's going on is that more people are going to take the £50 hit, and whip the kids out of school for a pre half term ski, still saving a chunk of cash, and the airlines as well as the TO's have realised this. Deals from early Feb are quite small, unless you fancy risking SkiBeat. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@snowdave, I have specifically asked someone who should know, and he too confirms it is an urban myth, although he was surprised at the drop in the BA price I discovered above as they are told the pricing engine will not decrease the cost of the flight. The price you see shouldn't drop unless there is a sale.
latest report
@snowdave, I'm sure that in the case of BA it's an urban myth - I use Google Flights to monitor ticket prices (it sends you e-mails when the price changes) and the price has always matched what the BA site has said when I've proceeded to booking or the price quoted on the phone (for itineraries not bookable online).

Google Flights will also draw you a graph of the cost of your proposed routing over time (from the date you first ask) and this confirms that BA do reduce their prices. A useful tool.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@snowdave, I have specifically asked someone who should know, and he too confirms it is an urban myth, although he was surprised at the drop in the BA price I discovered above as they are told the pricing engine will not decrease the cost of the flight. The price you see shouldn't drop unless there is a sale.

BA emailed the other day to say they have a sale on, and another email today to say the sale has “got even better” whatever that means.
latest report
I, too, use Google Flights to monitor and prices for BA go up and down (sometimes a substantial amount) for no apparent reason, whether there's a sale on or not.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy