Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomite - daily route planning

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I'm looking forward (perhaps too much Very Happy ) to bringing my family to Europe next January. We're coming from Australia and will be touring around and taking in some skiing also. We'll be skiing in the Ziller valley, Dolomites and Aosta area.
I've read a lot about all the things to see in the Dolomites and because we have only four skiing days there I'm trying to work out how to fit in all the areas I want to see within this relatively short time frame. We'll be based in Arabba and the highlights we definitely want to take in are the Marmolada area (with the WW1 museum), Hidden valley run (and maybe 5 Torri), Sasslong men's downhill, the long run down to Ortesei from the Seceda area and maybe the little church out past Badia. I understand it would be best to leave the Marmolada and Hidden valley for clear days if possible. Can anyone suggest the best way to see all these things in just four days. I'm thinking -
1. Marmolada and museum and runs around Arabba on one day. Maybe even do the glacier run twice.
2. Clockwise on Sella Ronda to Plan to Gralba up to the Sasslong before heading up to Seceda and down to Ortesei. Catch bus to Selva before resuming clockwise back to Arabba. Is that doable on one day?
3. Anti clockwise from Arabba to Armenterola, catch bus to Lagazuoi, check out Cinque Torri before doing the Hidden valley run. Horse tow back to Armenterola. Make our way to Vallon to check out the view before heading back to Arabba. Too much in one day?
4. ?? What else is a must do in the area. I would like to have an hour spare so the kids can do some souvenir shopping at one of the towns. Which would be best? The Val di Fassa area sounds interesting.
I understand I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but planning is almost as good as the holiday itself!
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sbooker, you should be in for a real treat!

Daily itineraries obviously depend on skiing ability, weather conditions, how much you stop open-jawed and take in / photo the scenery, lunch stops, etc.

I’ll assume competent intermediates minimum for now and not hanging around too much on the heavier mileage days.

1. Marmolada / Portavescovo. A great highlight of the Alps IMO. Well worth a day. Note it can be shaded and challenging in Jan. Possibly the toughest piste skiing in the area.
Allow time up at the viewing platform at summit. About 45 mins when I go but 15 mins should do it if in a rush.

2. Doable. Would you need bus to Selva or cable car then ski back?

3. Another great day. Personally I’d get an early taxi, shared minibus or shared coach (eg through Inghams rep in Arabba) direct to Lagazuoi for 9am. That leaves plenty time to explore the Lagazuoi and Cinque Torri areas in morning. Skiing around Cinque Torri very good and usually quiet.

Then head down Hidden Valley late morning or very early afternoon. Horse tow then lift linked skiing back to Arabba.

4. Lots of other options. Corvara/Colfosco sector tends to be open and sunny, if you fancy that.
Val Di Fassa area has a lot of good piste skiing, relatively quiet and fairly easy access from Arabba.

Another general highlight is mountain restaurants with stunning views, good service and by alps standards not too expensive. Specific recommendations on other snowHeads threads.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's quite a challenge you’ve set yourself! I think I’d skied 5 or 6 weeks there before I’d seen everything I wanted to in the Sella Ronda area.
Quote:
1. Marmolada and museum and runs around Arabba on one day. Maybe even do the glacier run twice.

Marmolada is easily accessed from Arabba and if you start early you’ll beat the crowds from other areas. Multiple runs is no problem, just follow the signs when you get towards the bottom.
Quote:
2. Clockwise on Sella Ronda to Plan to Gralba up to the Sasslong before heading up to Seceda and down to Ortesei. Catch bus to Selva before resuming clockwise back to Arabba. Is that doable on one day?

I did almost exactly this last time I was there, with a lunch stop in St Christina (bottom of the Sasslong). Didn’t need a bus though – I was skiing solo so moving quickly, but I was back in Arabba by 2.30 after a lateish start (9.30 or so), so even with a group it should be doable on skis only as long as you don’t dither too much. It’s a long day though, probably 50km skiing.
Quote:
3. Anti clockwise from Arabba to Armenterola, catch bus to Lagazuoi, check out Cinque Torri before doing the Hidden valley run. Horse tow back to Armenterola. Make our way to Vallon to check out the view before heading back to Arabba. Too much in one day?

Yeah, no problem, and I’d head back via Alta Badia if you want the best views. It’s a really pretty part of the area.
Quote:
4. ?? What else is a must do in the area. I would like to have an hour spare so the kids can do some souvenir shopping at one of the towns. Which would be best? The Val di Fassa area sounds interesting.

Yeah, Val di Fassa is nice too – that’s another full day. None of the towns are very big or have much shopping, but Canazei (nice wine cellar there in the back of one of the local produce shops actually) or Selva are probably your best bet.
There’s also the church at St Croce (off from La Villa) which is a nice run with a good restaurant and the opportunity to ski Alta Badia on the way there and back.
Happy planning!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have a back-up plan in case you miss last lifts eg. bus schedule, taxi number, shortcuts home. Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 2-09-18 14:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:

Easily doable. No need for bus, Seceda back down to Ronda Express funicular, pop out at bottom of Sasslong, two lifts and you're at top of Ciampinoi and back on SR.

Some questionable advice from some one trip 'experts' here. wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-09-18 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sbooker wrote:
Hi all
I'm looking forward (perhaps too much Very Happy ) to bringing my family to Europe next January. We're coming from Australia and will be touring around and taking in some skiing also. We'll be skiing in the Ziller valley, Dolomites and Aosta area.
I've read a lot about all the things to see in the Dolomites and because we have only four skiing days there I'm trying to work out how to fit in all the areas I want to see within this relatively short time frame. We'll be based in Arabba and the highlights we definitely want to take in are the Marmolada area (with the WW1 museum), Hidden valley run (and maybe 5 Torri), Sasslong men's downhill, the long run down to Ortesei from the Seceda area and maybe the little church out past Badia. I understand it would be best to leave the Marmolada and Hidden valley for clear days if possible. Can anyone suggest the best way to see all these things in just four days. I'm thinking -
I understand I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but planning is almost as good as the holiday itself!
Thanks in advance.

You could fit in a overnight stay in Refugio Lagazuoi and change your planing, as you do not have to return to Arabba that evening but can head Corvara- Ortisei in the morning direct.
Just an alternative option with a nice overnight stay high up on a day when the weather is nice. wink

Or If the food is a main thing stay on the other side (Cingue Torri) in Refugio Averau. (I like Lagazoui better). Toofy Grin

You will lose to much time to go down to Canazei or Campetillio just for shopping - stay high in the Val di Fassa area. There is not much at the Alba Lift. You will hit Selva - try there. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seeing all those names just makes me want to go back there again - soon!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cortina.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ALQ wrote:
have a back-up plan in case you miss last lifts eg. bus schedule, taxi number, shortcuts home. Little Angel

No, don't get caught in the wrong valley. The consequences are horrendous unless you have platinum cards and a willingness to wave them.

Set off early and keep an eye on the time. Anywhere on the map is easily within range with planning. We've done Kronplatz from Selva in a day with plenty of time to spare.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
With only 4 days I would miss Cortina.

If in Selva consider skiing the Saslong downhill piste. It is not as scary as most and gives your legs a real workout if done non stop. Doable if you can ski reds.

A good lunch stop on the Sella Ronda is the Lupo Bianco which is right on the piste as you pass Canazei.

Try and do the Marmolada on a clear day. The views are truly breathtaking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, you’ll be signing up for the BB then?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TQA wrote:
With only 4 days I would miss Cortina.

If in Selva consider skiing the Saslong downhill piste. It is not as scary as most and gives your legs a real workout if done non stop. Doable if you can ski reds.

A good lunch stop on the Sella Ronda is the Lupo Bianco which is right on the piste as you pass Canazei.

Try and do the Marmolada on a clear day. The views are truly breathtaking.

Agree with all this, the sasslong is brilliant and the Marmolada is stunning. Can't wait to go back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski wrote:
... Anywhere on the map is easily within range with planning...

Famous last words Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done two BBs, @PeakyB. Not sure what I'm doing next season yet - had my eye on Alleghe - would be my first visit as I was one of the few to get to Arabba, the year of the Big Snow. I entirely rely on somebody who knows where they're going, round there. Luckily several people do!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, so that's the double then. Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
@pam w, I can recommend @NeddySkiGoon's guiding ablities. He was fantastic at the last BB
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies.
I understand everything will depend on weather. I hope to get a couple of clear days to take in the scenery.
As far as our skiing ability goes I don't have any real perspective as we have never had lessons and neither have the kids. I suspect that technically we're not great because of the lack of formal training. We can get around a mountain to a degree though. Comfortable on groomed and non groomed black/some double black in Whistler, Snowbird, Jackson etc.
I get this will be completely different to our previous skiing experiences but that is ok - we'll likely have a more off piste orientated trip the year after.
ski holidays
One tip for the Marmolada gacier - as it's a cable car that takes you up there, if you're not first off it's best to wait 10-15 mins until most people are well down the piste as there is only one route down from the top.

When I skied it last year it was a whiteout and absolute carnage ! Lot's of skiers who were overestimating their skills/outside their comfort zone/crashes/injuries.
snow conditions
Only advice I can offer is that that the run from Seceda to Ortisei is quite long and that you might have to wait a bit for ski bus. I think if conditions are good that taking Seceda straight back to the Ronda Express is a better call; will save you some time. Also, Saslong is a thigh-burner, as mentioned, so you'd be doing the run down to Ortisei right after that.

Don't miss Saslong, but you want to go to the left (think it's A?) rather than right at the main fork about a quarter of the way down. Will be obvious.
snow report
Pasigal wrote:
Only advice I can offer is that that the run from Seceda to Ortisei is quite long and that you might have to wait a bit for ski bus. I think if conditions are good that taking Seceda straight back to the Ronda Express is a better call; will save you some time. Also, Saslong is a thigh-burner, as mentioned, so you'd be doing the run down to Ortisei right after that.

Don't miss Saslong, but you want to go to the left (think it's A?) rather than right at the main fork about a quarter of the way down. Will be obvious.

Ok. Thanks.
So to get this clear go down the Sasslong, take lifts up to Seceda, ski down to Ortesei, two gondolas back up to Seceda area and then ski down toward the Col Raiser lift and finish at Pramulin?
Is the Ronda express a bus that runs through a tunnel that goes to the other side of the town (Sasslong lift)?
Thanks again.
snow report
Just one note -- the bus from Ortisei stops at the bottom of the Salong, but you can also get a bus from there to Selva (might be the same bus?). if legs are tired it is chance for a rest and would shorten the return journey to Arabba
snow report
JoyZipper wrote:
One tip for the Marmolada gacier - as it's a cable car that takes you up there, if you're not first off it's best to wait 10-15 mins until most people are well down the piste as there is only one route down from the top.

When I skied it last year it was a whiteout and absolute carnage ! Lot's of skiers who were overestimating their skills/outside their comfort zone/crashes/injuries.

I’ll be sure to try to pick a clear day and waiting a few minutes will give us a chance to soak in the view.
Is the WW1 museum two thirds of the way up worth doing? It sounds interesting enough.
ski holidays
ronda express is a funicular that goes to the other side of the town
latest report
[quote="sbooker"]
JoyZipper wrote:
Is the WW1 museum two thirds of the way up worth doing? It sounds interesting enough.

Sorry, I can't comment on this as I never visited it.
snow conditions
[quote="sbooker"]
JoyZipper wrote:

Yes, it's free and you can spend say 15 to 30 mins looking at the displays (the exhibit information is in English as well as Italian and German).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy