Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Squits outbreak hits Arc 1800

Poster: A snowHead
People staying in Arc 1800 have been advised to boil the water or drink only bottled water after an outbreak diarrhea in the resort. At least 200 people have visited the hospital in Bourg St Maurice and the doctors in resort. The authorities don’t yet know the cause of the problem but some people have pointed the finger at the bacteria used in snow making getting into the water supply.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, Shocked we had a carafe in 1950 today! All feeling fine so far...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof,I wonder if PG will be operating a cartel on the supply of toilet rolls Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, do not see how it would get into the water system of the resort Puzzled .

And besides I thought that no chemicals wre used in snow making - just water Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, water has been treated now and we have been advised that all tap water is fine again. Interesting couple of days though..... we're a bar/restaurant so keen to serve, wash veg, make ice from clean water!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there a M**k War**r chalet in 1800 wink Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Memories of my first time in Courchevel. I escaped but a few of the guys in the chalet were suffering. One of my friends broke wind and the lad that was sufffering retorted "show off". Great to have a sense of humour (toilet humour allbeit) when not feeling the best.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hibernia wrote:
davidof, do not see how it would get into the water system of the resort :~/ .

And besides I thought that no chemicals wre used in snow making - just water :~/

I suppose when the snow melts it goes into the water supply. Les Arcs uses the Snomax additive which is based on a bacteria, this helps water freeze at temperatures as high as -2C. As far as I know there is no evidence that this is dangerous when it enters the water supply.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
davidof, :shock: we had a carafe in 1950 today! All feeling fine so far...

Your okay in 1950 apparently, different water supply.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
200 people visiting the doctor or the hospital! Shocked Shocked

I'll make sure that I boil any water I use next week when I'm out there, just to make sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not a medic, but I'm sceptical about blaming the water supply. I reckon people bring stuff with them, viral probably, and in close proximity to other people in a chalet or hotel, it gets spread around. Kids probably have a lot to do with it. I thought I would die in Courchevel in 1993. I've avoided other plagues that have occurred around me since, thank God. I put it down to Mrs L being a medic and exposing us early to most stuff that's going around.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, I'm not a medic either but those I know who deal with the collating of reports and identifying source in the UK assure me that the most common source is poor kitchen hygiene practices Shocked

In the UK our public water supply is monitored and tested daily to EU standards. Therefore one would assume the same steps are taken in France.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flying_squirrel wrote:
davidof, water has been treated now and we have been advised that all tap water is fine again. Interesting couple of days though..... we're a bar/restaurant so keen to serve, wash veg, make ice from clean water!!!

You might be okay at your end of the resort but tonight they are still advising people to drink bottled water - maybe Evian haven't made enough profit this year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back last night from 1800 - posters everywhere advising not to drink tap water! I don't know if everyone is the same, but if i need a cold drink it's from bottled water, and use boiled water for coffee etc. Anyway, we were all OK for the week. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Half term week in Vallandry most of us came down with stomach cramps sickness etc over which lasted a day or so for each person, I don't think any of the skiers missed more than a half day. Friends with kids in ski school commented that quiet a few other kids had missed a day or so with sickness.

I've now got a cold I picked up on the skiing. Probably all is just due to virises picked up from people from a wide variety of locations being in close proximity - so much higher likelyhood of meeting a vrus you have low immunity too.
snow report
28 out of 31 in a friends party had it big style in Val D'Isere last week. Most missed 2 days at least. Friend did her ACL 100 yrds down the first run (green) of the holiday. She is a VERY good skier. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I'd heard they'd called in the army in Vallandry to distribute water as it was in the drinking water system. All but my brother in our appartment were ill - niece for 2 days. Brother escaped, but sticks to the safe option - only drinks beer.
latest report
geri, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Sorry to hear you were affected.
snow report
It's odd - first time I've heard it as well - but just yesterday on Radio Les Arcs they were handing out advice to visitors. No mention of a problem with the water supply at all, but they were recommending that young children should drink bottled water as mountain supplies are particularly high in mineral content, and the change from what they are used to can cause stomach upsets...

Funny, I thought some bottled water had a high mineral content Confused
snow conditions
PG wrote:
It's odd - first time I've heard it as well - but just yesterday on Radio Les Arcs they were handing out advice to visitors. No mention of a problem with the water supply at all, but they were recommending that young children should drink bottled water as mountain supplies are particularly high in mineral content, and the change from what they are used to can cause stomach upsets...

Just back from Bourg St Maurice tonight and can definitely confirm a squirt outbreak and have to admit that I none of us are sitting comfortable yet. We usually drink the water with no effects but at 62c for 5 litres I don't think I will risk it again
snow conditions
PG wrote:

Just back from Bourg St Maurice tonight and can definitely confirm a squirt outbreak and have to admit that I none of us are sitting comfortable yet. We usually drink the water with no effects but at 62c for 5 litres I don't think I will risk it again
latest report
Kieran, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Where are you based? NO problem with the water in BSM itself, at least, we've been drinking it all week....
ski holidays
Agree BSM seems ok, maybe we just ate too much golden snow!!. Have a place in Les Glieres in BSM, just spent last week there and now back to reality - Will be back for last week of March though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy