Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lombardy / Dolomites - early or late March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Might have an opportunity to get to Italy (probably flying into Milan Bergamo or Malpensa) during March 2019 - but only at the start of the month (before Sat 9th) or at the end of the month (Mon 18th onwards). We don't have to go Saturday to Saturday. Balancing up cost versus snow conditions, which is likely to be a better time to go?

I suspect early March will be more expensive and busier (but by how much?) but will probably have better snow (but how much better?)...

We skied Passo Tonale and a few other resorts in late March this year, but that was during unusually good snow conditions...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I'd probably go for the earlier date but would be happy with the later one but would be more inclined to go last minute for the resort with the later one depending on weather forecast.
Thats based on general skiing experience rather than any particular experiences of Italy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is not Fasching early March 2019? Will that affect availability. Never sure whether Fasching has a bank holiday attached but always seems to be busier in Austria at least. Sort of rather assume Fasching is the start of Lent - Mardi Gras time but I may well be wrong
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fasching=Carnevale... Cool is week 2-9 March this winter...You might want to combine Dolomites with Venice!
Lombardy and Dolomites end march: very high risk of slush.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. What areas does Fasching week affect? Is it mainly German-speaking regions?

It might be possible to get a cheap flight somewhere else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, Obviously you should not look at the people from the ski regions where Fasching is a thing. They will be working, not holidaying, since this is high season. You should look at their guests! Fasching/Carnivale is a major holiday in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, South-Netherlands, Austria, parts of Northern Italy. All wealthy and densely populated areas.
It is the 2nd busiest week of the season (after New Year) in all of the Alps/Dolomites
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, thanks. I've done most of my skiing in France and didn't realise Fasching was such a big thing outside Austria in terms of visitor numbers. But my holidays have always been in January, half term, late March or Easter, so perhaps I've just missed it up until now!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@denfinella, I've missed it for the last 30 years - but not next season (Austria) so not really sure what to expect
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, you aren't just limited to Lombardy/Dolomites from Milan Malpensa - lots of resorts to the west within 2/2.5 hours
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ray Zorro, true (though I suspect it'll end up being Bergamo). Would going west escape Fasching crowds?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did Madesimo, Lombardy in late March 2016.

In one of the lowest snowfalls on record everything was open top to bottom.

Lower mountain firm in the am; sandy, dry slushy in the pm

Above mid-mountain great conditions.

3 days of powder and excellent turns.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in the Dolomites the last two weeks of March 2018 and snow coverage was excellent (not sure, but I believe it was an above-average snow year) and also deserted, with exactly one lift line over five minutes in 13 days. I'm going back this season, same timeframe, and if my luck isn't as good for natural snow, the fact that per the Dolomiti Superski website "almost 100%" of pistes have snowmaking is reassuring (assuming they operate it!). You might check the school vacation calendar to help pick your dates. Your later window will be cheaper; the last week of March last year was a 7 for 6 deal.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy