Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving - inconsistent advice

Poster: A snowHead
ALQ wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
And yes, I know how to stop. Aim for the fattest skier who is close to you, to be sure of a soft landing. Twisted Evil

Oi!! Shocked
Remind me to ski BEHIND you from now on!!

Nah, your safe mate. I need you to show me where this "Hot chocolate to die for is". Besides, you're nowhere near fat enough for a safe landing; despite your consumption of copious quantities of Italian cake.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flangesax wrote:
During my training we were heavily encouraged to never offer percentages or numbers in concern with weighting the skis. Mainly because (as discussed in this thread) there are so many options and variables. In lessons we offer feedback of 'more' or 'less' etc... but would never say 'during that type of turn you should be weighting 80% downhill and 20% on the uphill...' it's pretty much frowned upon.

It gets fun when you start skiing and carving on just the one ski!... That one really does require a 100% weighting of the uphill ski wink

Agreed.

There is one instance, the transition.

Then, and it may only be for a milisecond, the ratio of balance (weighting) on each ski is 50%.

Then it's more on the downhill ski and less on the uphill ski.

Too many skiers have too much balance on the uphill ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Because you keep falling down. Doh!!! Happy
Far more advanced than that. It's now a crash when things go wrong, not simply falling down wink

If she ain’t flyin, she ain’t tryin (in deep husky skimottaret voice)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awdbugga wrote:
ALQ wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
And yes, I know how to stop. Aim for the fattest skier who is close to you, to be sure of a soft landing. Twisted Evil

Oi!! Shocked

Nah, your safe mate. I need you to show me where this "Hot chocolate to die for is". Besides, you're nowhere near fat enough for a safe landing; despite your consumption of copious quantities of Italian cake.

That was last year bruv ... it’s been a bad (or very good Madeye-Smiley )year!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ALQ wrote:
That's a freakishly good impression!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ALQ wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
ALQ wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

Oi!! Shocked

That was last year bruv ... it’s been a bad (or very good Madeye-Smiley )year!

Think positive. It will now take less effort to apply reverse camber to your skis. Every cloud - - - - - wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Little Martin, L2 as in Landes??
On my fresh up last season it was all about the opposite and getting our legs together more. I think it was because of the change of ski designs over the last 10 years.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Too narrow a stance and I think it begins to interfere with how much you can get your skis tipped to increasingly large angles, perhaps also making it more difficult to have good lateral balance with speeds are high and you are getting thrown around a bit. Too wide a stance and you have to move your centre of mass a long way laterally to "get past" your inside leg in order to tip your skis over. I think a neutral hip width is a good starting point for stance, and adjust from there in response to the forces you are creating.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that was it Rob. Going from near shoulder width to a more natural hip width.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
ALQ wrote:
That's a freakishly good impression!!

Blush fortunately, the big cuddly wookie won’t remember me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:
@Little Martin, L2 as in Landes??
On my fresh up last season it was all about the opposite and getting our legs together more. I think it was because of the change of ski designs over the last 10 years.

Nah you can't take the Arlberg out of the Austrian. They like to keep tight hold of those 10 Euro notes between the butt cheeks wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of the lessons I had with Claude he had us in tuck position as that forced us to use ankles to roll rather than whole body. I found that useful for getting a real feel for being on edge through the turn, although one for a flat run otherwise you can end up at Mach 10 if you don’t have the required skill (I don’t).

I take much longer to grasp things when I get technical advice like 70/30 etc. my breakthrough moments always happen based on what I feel, that’s when things click and I can start working on them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, what @rob@rar said.

Basically you can roll easier if your legs are further apart, we aren't talking john wayne, although the drill was fun, and for some of the group improved their positioning of the legs as they tended to skis too close together.

One thing to try in the mountains, just make your legs really wide and try ski on edges when turning, try the same narrow, then adjust in between, and feel the difference in carving.

If you see a world cup racer on their turns, just see how wide the gap is at times on their turns, probably more than shoulder width.

This isn't every turn, as every turn is different, but worth trying out different widths for carving.

I spent a bit of time trying all sorts of positions, my fav where I'm probably more on inside that outside with extreme edge angles and my body is on the floor but still in control carving a clean line. Just watch out for bumps in the snow. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin wrote:
If you see a world cup racer on their turns, just see how wide the gap is at times on their turns, probably more than shoulder width.

I don't think this is accurate, or helpful for the OP.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not trying to help the op Wink
snow report
Lots of good advice given.

- One area to be aware of (apologies if it's been mentioned), is alignment. Your skis have to do the same thing, at the same time and by the same amount. If your physiology makes this impossible, without alignment, you are on an uphill struggle.

- Back in the day, on straight skis, we were taught to have all the weight on the D/Hill ski, as it was hard to bend, unless you were going very fast, with all your weight on it. The U/Hill ski was little more than an outrigger. Now, with skis that turn so easily, the U/Hill one has to pull its weight, so to speak.

- Experiment with different amounts of weight, at different speeds, in different turns and in different snow conditions....but whatever you do, the U/Hill ski should always mirror the D/Hill one. I was once told, that there should always be just enough weight on the U/Hill ski, to keep it stable and tracking beside the other one.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Lots of good advice given.

- - -- I was once told, that there should always be just enough weight on the U/Hill ski, to keep it stable and tracking beside the other one.

That was the thinking behind my original post. If 100% of your weight is on your downhill ski, as some videos advise; it must make controlling the uphill ski, and making sure it stays parallel, more difficult. Every good carved turn I've seen has two distinct tramlines (not necessarily of equal depth), suggesting there must me some weight, albeit a small amount on your uphill ski, to keep it tracking parallel.

As you say lots of good advice, and surprisingly (and thankfully), non of it was really contradictory.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
That was the thinking behind my original post. If 100% of your weight is on your downhill ski, as some videos advise; it must make controlling the uphill ski, and making sure it stays parallel, more difficult. Every good carved turn I've seen has two distinct tramlines (not necessarily of equal depth), suggesting there must me some weight, albeit a small amount on your uphill ski, to keep it tracking parallel.
I think it's pretty rare to have somebody who can split their balance between outside and inside skis, to the accuracy of percentage points. I know I can't, although I am aware of being balanced; outside ski dominant; or very outside ski dominant (including being able to carve fully on the outside ski). I'm not sure why it would automatically be the case that if you're 100% balanced on the outside ski the inside ski is going to develop a mind of its own, wandering off in a different direction. Why would it do that? Being 100% balanced on the outside ski for the majority of the turn is normally only going to happen in a specific drill or exercise, although the vagaries of ski high speed, carved turns might well mean your lateral balance moves around so briefly you might be. The key is to be in dynamic balance rather than seek a fixed distribution of your weight across inside and outside skis. Most of the time the inside ski is going to be (hopefully) tipped to about the same angle as your outside and should track along approximately parallel to the dominant outside ski, unless you add an unnecessary movement like flattening and twisting it.

https://vimeo.com/79838624
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I don't think the U/Hill ski develops a mind of its own per se....In my case, when skiing fast on very hard snow, if there was almost no weight on it (old habits), it could get a little jittery....whereas, if there was a little weight on it, I could feel it working beside the other one.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
... if there was almost no weight on it (old habits), it could get a little jittery...
Is that a problem? It's a dynamic sport, and we get bounced around a fair bit. Just so long as you are in dynamic balance you can cope with all sorts of jitters as you go around the turn. In the clip above, even trying to ski smoothly the inside ski moves around a little. Take a look at the final right-footed turn and see what the inside ski does. It's pretty light for much of the turn, comes off the snow briefly at one point, back on to the snow, bounces a little. But in the grand scheme of things all irrelevant as the outside ski is stable and provides a good platform to create the turn with.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
... if there was almost no weight on it (old habits), it could get a little jittery...
Is that a problem? It's a dynamic sport, and we get bounced around a fair bit. Just so long as you are in dynamic balance you can cope with all sorts of jitters as you go around the turn. In the clip above, even trying to ski smoothly the inside ski moves around a little. Take a look at the final right-footed turn and see what the inside ski does. It's pretty light for much of the turn, comes off the snow briefly at one point, back on to the snow, bounces a little. But in the grand scheme of things all irrelevant as the outside ski is stable and provides a good platform to create the turn with.

All I can tell you, is that it all felt more comfortable, with just enough weight on the U/Hill ski, so I could feel it working. I can't really speak for anyone else...but it did seem relevant to the question. IME. When you only get 1 week of skiing per year, little things like this can help with getting the two skis co-operating with each other. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Old Fartbag, I am only able to do one week of skiing per year; time in the CFe not included. I'm of the same opinion as you. Even the smallest amount of weight on the uphill ski, helps steady it and track the downhill ski easier. But then I am still a relative beginner. Maybe when I become more proficient I'll be able to control the uphill ski, so it stays parallel with the downhill ski without thinking about it. I'm not at that point yet.

To my simple mind; if there is no weight at all on the uphill ski (zero), then surely it would not make a clean line in the snow and would just be skimming along the top of it some of the time. Yet all the videos I've seen seem to show two distinct "grooves" in the snow.

Having said that, I'm not hung up on it now, as the consensus seems to be, make sure you are well balanced, ski what's in front of you and adjust your weight distribution and ski angles accordingly. Oh, and make sure you swap edges smoothly as you transition from the end of one turn into the beginning of the next (the hard bit). Piece of cake really Shocked Puzzled wink
snow report
@Awdbugga, There can be a difference between "what is happening" and "what you need to tell yourself to make it happen".
snow report
@Awdbugga, I'm not an instructor nor is my technique all that good so I'm reluctant to give advice but I have seen the ski more recently than anyone else on here. So with that in mind...

Your skiing has come a long way in the last 12 months, especially considering you've only had one week on the mountain and lots of sessions indoors but... Well from what I saw you need to work on simpler thing before worrying about carved turns. In fact I'd say without instruction now, to iron out any issues with your current technique, trying to teach yourself to carve might be counter productive.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
To my simple mind; if there is no weight at all on the uphill ski (zero), then surely it would not make a clean line in the snow and would just be skimming along the top of it some of the time. Yet all the videos I've seen seem to show two distinct "grooves" in the snow.
Is anybody advocating 100% on the outside ski* for all of the turn?

* I find it easier to talk about inside ski and outside ski. Uphill and downhill skis are relative terms that change meaning halfway through every turn (just in the last couple of posts you and OF have used the term uphill ski to refer to both the inside and the outside ski).
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Your skiing has come a long way in the last 12 months, especially considering you've only had one week on the mountain and lots of sessions indoors but... Well from what I saw you need to work on simpler thing before worrying about carved turns. In fact I'd say without instruction now, to iron out any issues with your current technique, trying to teach yourself to carve might be counter productive.
Not having seen him ski I'd agree that's usually good advice for all skiers with that level of experience, although there's nothing particularly special about carving as it's just a particular application of fundamental ski skills, so I wouldn't exclude anyone working towards being able cleanly to link carved turns when they are on appropriate terrain.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
@Awdbugga, I'm not an instructor nor is my technique all that good so I'm reluctant to give advice but I have seen the ski more recently than anyone else on here. So with that in mind...

Adi, I’m going to have a one to one lesson as soon as I can. Only fly in the ointment at the moment is I’m waiting for a potentially very big bill to come in. Last time I get a car on a PCP contract, grrrrr. Sad
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
... Piece of cake really Shocked Puzzled wink

NOW you speaka my language snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, didn't really help me either wink

I was wondering from your last post if you were a Landes 2 instructor but I'm guessing you were meaning Basi 2?
When I mentioned my 'fresh-up' I meant my professional development course with the Salzburger Ski & Snowboard Verband.
We were all made to make sure that the majority of our 'natural' position was a little narrower than we had previously been taught to demonstrate... we were also given loads of new terms to learn.
I think I mention it in a little more detail here ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76074&highlight= ) ...needless to say, I've already forgotten the new phrases! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
These guys all look pretty professional, even to a boardie.

http://youtube.com/v/1f8sZAK84w0
latest report
@BoardieK, yes, very smooth, stylish, well controlled skiing on those vids.

Where are all the slope users, snaking beginner classes, out of control wannabe racers and other obstacles to get around or avoid though?

Laboratory test conditions are not what most of us get to ski most days wink
latest report
@PeakyB, Get out in late Nov, you often get 4 - 5 weeks of empty pistes before the Xmas rush comes in. Then switch to off piste snowHead
ski holidays
@Scarpa, yes I try to get an early and late week in. Also usually avoid February. Get some quieter pistes that way but rarely that empty.
Off piste too much for my knees now unfortunately snowHead
latest report
Another point - slope. Very few people will carve smoothly down a red run, even fewer down a black. Initially carving needs a lot of space so that the change of direction is gentle and smooth while you wait for the ski edges to grip and change direction. Too many carved turns start with a skidded turn to check speed.
At high speeds and centripetal forces, weight will be almost 50%, to leave 2 ticks in the snow of equal size. Too much pressure on the outer ski will result in juddering as edge breaks away.
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:
OK, the general consensus seems to be, don't get fixated on percentages of weight distribution, maintain good balance and go with the flow; adjusting weight distribution and edging angles accordingly. Sounds easy enough. wink "Feel the force Luke".

I'm by no means a great skier but I learned recently enough to remember how much of a big deal carving seems to be when you are starting out. Basically what it means is that you are riding the skis rather than turning them with your feet and that implies that the differences in turn radius between turns are determined by a combination of pressure (bending the ski) and angle (tilting the ski) but if you are not turning the skis with your feet/thighs and you avoid a-framing by tilting the skis at different angles then you need to get the skis to turn at matching rates by pressure alone. That doesn't mean equal pressure though because the skis are doing different paths and so need different radii.

This is not amenable to strict percentages and it wouldn't be useful to give one because it just depends on all sorts of factors. The important thing is to achieve the right balance and that can only be achieved through feel and sensing when it is right and anticipating through experience. No short cuts or "this ONE TRICK will get you carving" Laughing

Not that I am a great skier but I have carved Smile and the way I get there is to try turning with pressure and edge and keeping the skis aligned...I've never seen you ski so whether you are ready to do that I don't know but a good grippy skidded turn is really a pre-requisite because the foundation for both types of turn is balance just like all skiing but the skidded turn is just easier to manage (and slower).

Right now everyone can shoot me down in flames snowHead
latest report
@Dmitri, you're right. Whilst there is so much talk/waffle/bollux and real insight here into what the skis are supposed to be doing, we do tend to forget that from yer bum upwards is where we need to be in balance and be able to maintain that by making adjustments to all the things yer bum is supported by . . . It really is the 'duck' analogy, top two thirds elegantly gliding down the hill, bottom third bangin' away like a bunny on acid. It is an odd feeling when you get it for the first time, being able to mentally separate your calm upper body movements from the massive amount of input and response in your legs.
snow report
@Masque, yes! It's an odd feeling that you get the first time and then you try and get it back and sometimes it's there...and sometimes... Very Happy

It's the beauty and the frustration of skiing all at once. It's that smile you remember on your ski instructors face when you are asking "what is it you want me to do exactly?" before they gently persuade you to just...try... yet... another.... drill snowHead
ski holidays
I pretty much always carve, agree its all about feel and maintaining flexibility/responsiveness, the moment you stiffen up too much is the moment it all goes to pot.

Higher speed or sharper turns = higher outside ski pressure needed

Not a lot beats the feeling of a good carve
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy