Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seek for expert advice lech/Ischgl/St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, looking for some advice on how I should plan my ski trip, seems like there are many experts here, any advice is much appreciated.

Exclude the travelling parts I have 12 days that I can spend at the ski resort. There will be me (40ish), my wife and my 6 years old son, we are at lower intermediate - intermediate levels. Our trip is mainly for skiing, regular routine is ski - dine at a good restaurant - have a walk in a nice village maybe a bit of shopping - sleep. I am thinking of staying at lech, I heard the village is not big, maybe 12 days is too much? So I am not sure if I should spend the whole 12 days at lech as a base or do 6/6 and stay at lech followed by Ischgl or St Anton. Following are some of our preferences / factors to consider:

- travelling in either Christmas or mid-Feb both can do. These two periods both seems to be considered high season, prices the same at these dates i feel?
- first time in Austria, arriving at Zurich then car drive to resort from there, car drive ideally not longer then 2.5 hrs max
- My son sometimes get sick with long car travelling (we are driving) so either I do 12 days lech or the 2 chosen resorts ideally is no more than 1.5 hrs drive apart
- good lift system my son cannot do t-bar...
- we only ski on piste and not advance skiers
- looking for a resort with many good restaurants, pretty classy resort with good scenery and good/funky vibe
- family trip so apres ski not for this time, however a good lively vibe is welcome, just prefer not to run into drunks often
- we plan to do a bit of lessons so a good ski school, ski in ski out accommodation would be nice to have but not a must

With the above in mind, how should I plan the 12 days, other resort combo suggestions are also welcome. By the way, what is the temperature in those areas around Christmas to Feb?

I do want to try lech, everything seems to tick except maybe I may get bored after a week, or maybe not? Thanks in advance for any good advice! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome.

Plenty to do in Lech and surrounding areas for 2 weeks.

Millions have done it over the decades.

Many do a whole season of >20 weeks.

This thread will be helpful throughout the season. It is updated daily:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137655
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply.

Ok it is good to know the 2 weeks timeframe is not an issue.

I will definitely check out the link you posted.

Thank you!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are a heap of threads here with information similar to what you seek: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138502

Given your experience, Lech would be a better choice than StA for a base. See linked thread. There is little point in moving from Lech to StA because you can ski between the 2 (Zürs/Lech are linked to StA via the Flexenbahn).

You can drive from Zürich, but train might be easier. There is train station at the airport. Change at the HBf and then straight through. Get off at Langen, if you are staying in Lech, and get a taxi or the bus. We stay in StA and always use the train.

And no, I cannot imagine how you can get bored in the Arlberg. We have been going for 16 years and will do 8 weeks in 2019. There are many who would consider us newbies. You have Warth, Schröcken, Lech, Zürs, Stüben, St Christoph, Sonnenkopf, and St Anton on one lift ticket. All but Sonnenkopf are connected by lifts / pistes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ulmerhutte Ok thanks for the information sounds all good.

Yes I understand there are so many things to do in the whole of Arlberg, what I meant was whether I should base in Lech the whole time or maybe stay in Lech for a week then let say change base to Ischgl for another week.

Many thanks for the link! Very useful and good reference indeed Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech +1
Train +1 you don’t want to drive to Lech in snowy conditions (two alpine passes where chains often are necessary)
Go in february, best conditions. December is always tricky
Ischgl is party-central. Consider Obergurgl or Serfaus instead.
Start searching accomodation in Lech asap! Most acco are requiring saturday-saturday or sometimes sunday-sunday bookings. (all over the Alps in season)
Will gladly advise on best available acco/location
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of the three places you mention I suspect Lech would suit your specification best though it is likely to be the most expensive.

Both StA and Ischgl have lots of apres ski of the enthusiastic variety and folks somewhat worse for wear meandering through the village in ski boots at 8 o'clock are a common sight. That said StA is a reasonable size with a good number of shops and restaurants so it is hardly a big problem. I would also suggest the train for Lech or StA. You can also get a transfer from Landeck (stop after StA) to Ischgl. If you drive Ischgl is a good bit further (around 45 minutes or so) than StA.

If you want a two resort holiday then Lech & Ischgl would work, perhaps also consider Serfaus / Fiss (it pushes the family friendly side but perhaps not so much to do in the evenings) and the Montafon resorts (more traditionally "Austrian" less high mountain resort than the Arlberg or Ischgl).

From what you say I would tend to avoid StA, perhaps not enough straight forward piste skiing.

Booking for Christmas and New Year is always a bit of a risk. If the weather is right it can be magical, especially for a 6 year old. The downside is that you can be faced with mostly green hillsides with a few ribbons of artificial snow. Probably wont detract from the Christmas Eve festivities too much but not so good on the skiing front
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jonclw,
I think most of the advice you have received has been excellent.

If given the choice between2 weeks at Xmas and 2 in Feb for me it's a no brainer. The snow is generally better in Feb and although it it will still be busy its probably a bit better than New Year. Weather often a bit kinder it can be very cold in late Dec early Jan.

Re transport , a car is not much use in Lech and parking can be a problem. Generally better to get the train or the Arlberg express coach which takes you directly to the resort, you will have to get a taxi or bus from the nearest train station.
If you are after ski in ski out accommodation Oberlech is the best bit of Lech , sits on a nice sunny terrace and gets more sun than Lech itself, nice slopes immediately to hand for the six year old as well

I love Ischgl but Lech is just as good for your purposes and a fair bit better than St A for a young child and earlier intermediate skiing.

If you're worried about the travelling time and want a resort closer to Zurich Flims /Laax would be an option.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We prefer Lech over Oberlech. Staying in Lech gives the advantage for a quick afternoon stroll through the villages and its shops etc. The only advantage of Oberlech is being amidst the skiing area. But even that is a minor advantage, the difference is only 200 meters, and Lech proper has many hotels that are close to the lifts cq. ski-in/out themselves. Whilst at some Oberlech hotels you need to ski down to Lech first thing in the morning to get to a lift comfortably, the only alternative being walking up the mountain...(e.g. Cresta, Montana, Petersboden). Not that skiing down to Lech is an awfull thing to do of course Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug,
Stayed in both places when the kids were young and for us Oberlech was slightly the better option though we were very close to the lift , I don't remember it being cheap but it was a long time ago when I earned more than I do now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug A friend said he can get me a good deal on private car transport, so for an experienced driver who works in a transport company to drive us from Zurich to Lech should be safe correct? Noted on the train option will think on it too, thanks! Will also look up the other options you mentioned. For accommodation i am checking now, let see if I can find something suitable in Lech closest to lift. Any particular lift that suits us best I assume there are a couple? Good one, thanks.

@munich_irish Well noted. Based on everyone suggestion I decided to do Feb instead of Christmas, that would give me a bit more time to decide on accommodation too. I mentioned Ischgl because I heard on piste is really good, and seems like there are good restaurants and apartment options there too. Ischgl town size is it similar to Lech town or bigger? I will check out the other places you mentioned too. thank you!

@T Bar Feb it is, can't wait Very Happy Ok I will take your suggestion and leave out St Anton as an option. I think I will go Lech for at least one of the stop, but I will check out Flims / Laax that you mentioned too, so many good choices it seems...many thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also check out the Arlberg Express bus. Leaves on a regular schedule from the Zurich airport to all Arlberg towns. Euro 80 round trip. You can Google Arlberg Express and get all the info. Easy and reliable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@choucas I found the website will take a look. Thank you!

With the child, couple of suitcases and skis it could be troublesome. I saw the train option I can post the luggage beforehand, I've never done that before, I am sure there is no problem but it would be a nightmare to lose the skis and things Skullie There is less carrying via Arlberg Express bus compare to train correct?

Guys, I had a quick look at the recommended resorts. Laax looks good and only 1.5 hrs from Zurich, Serfaus seems perfect for family a bit further out 3 hrs, Obergurgl 3.5 hrs.

Since my trip is not long I think this time I will just base at Lech for the whole 12 days in Feb. I will definitely want to try Laax and Serfaus for future trips. Thanks for all the resort suggestions from everyone they are great!

@Langerzug you said you may have some suggestions for accommodation, please kindly advice a couple if can. I would like a bit more space, so I am trying to find good ski in ski out suite apartment type accommodation in Lech, ideally next to a lift best suited for my family's ski level. Many thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jonclw,
A private driver of course is an excellent way to arrive in Lech!
With Arlberg Express you'll have to get in touch with your hotel to check whether they can collect you from the central point where the bus stops.
Not all hotels are accessible by large buses anyway! (and Arlberg Express prices are per person....)
For accomodation advise, can you give me your dates? I can then do a quick availability scan. Very Happy It is not very useful now to just name some places, since a lot will simply not be available.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug Ok got it. Dates wise let say 2nd Feb to 16th Feb. I had a quick look myself, saw a couple of choices that have the room type / budget I want, can you kindly comment on their location/lift suited or not...etc - Hinterwies, Chalet Anna Maria, MATS Lech. Many thanks!
snow report
We did not like Hinterwies atmosphere wise (stayed one night). Lovely very quiet location next to Hinterwies tow lift that connects to Schlegelkopf. 7 minutes walk to village
Mats is not very good location wise (yet brand new!)
The Chalet Anna Maria is in the best location you can think of, close to Schlegelkopflift, and close to the ski school. And the famous Strolz rental and shop next door. Yet still completely quiet. Never been, but it looks lovely. I would say: book it!
ski holidays
@Langerzug ok got it, thanks for all the info and your comment well noted. Good one Very Happy
snow conditions
@jonclw, good luck!
latest report
Lech will suit you. Stay in Oberlech if you can afford it. Traffic free and ski in ski out.

Hotel Ilga was great.
latest report
@jonclw, I would like to throw Oberlech into the hat. It really is something special and your 6 year old (and you guys) will love the toboggan run down to Lech at night. Stayed there when our kids were 4, 7 and 10 had still goes down as best ski holiday ever. Ok there’s not much at night BUT you’ll be knackered after a days skiing and tobogganing so a few drinks in the hotel bar will be nice enough. It’s easy enough to get cable car down and back again if you want a wander round Lech. It’s also great on arrival and departure just leaving your luggage at the bergbahn and the staff whisk all your luggage to your bedroom 👍
snow report
Lech, you'll love it.
Loads of good advice on here.

I've never actually stayed in Lech Village.
I had a great time in a little chalet right next to the lift that goes up to the Rote Wand in Zug.
But it was a long time ago Sad
snow conditions
@DrLawn, there is no lift up Rote Wand, which is at the far end of the Zugervalley.
The lift goes up the Zugerberg, past the Hotel Rote Wand Very Happy
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@DrLawn, there is no lift up Rote Wand, which is at the far end of the Zugervalley.
The lift goes up the Zugerberg, past the Hotel Rote Wand Very Happy

Not sure that is strictly true... you can get a lift on Linie 2 Ortbus (blue bus) that will get you pretty close to the Rote Wand. 😝.

Alternatively, as suggested, just get the Zugerbergbahn up to Balmalp and ski back down to Rote Wand.
latest report
@ulmerhutte, Very Happy Linie 2 in winter does not get close to Rote Wand, it stops just after Zug, near the 'Mautstelle'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy