Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone remember such a snowfall so early

Poster: A snowHead
It will probably.be green at Christmas but it's.nice to see.this dump the Dolomites got.over the weekend.

http://youtube.com/v/vcU8GK-blF8
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cameronphillips2000, not unusual to get snowfall in summer. Hopefully won't last cos I'm due to go MTB touring in the Dolomites in a couple of weeks!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep 😉

Last year it snowed in June (and July I think?). Pretty normal!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
it is not early snow.... early snow is in November. Everything else melts before the season start.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We quite often have modest falls at 1,100m in Chamonix in June & July. Not at all unusual.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Four inches of snow to village level in Les Arcs, first week of August. Melted within 24 hours. Quite normal, means nothing other than bringing a smile to your face (except if you are trying to do a bit of MTBing).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awesome.

I would have Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Early?

Or late (of last season)?

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, nah. We‘re heading into Autumn. This is the first signs of the coming season not the last echoes of the previous one. Summer snow is not unusual. Will start to become more relevant to glacier skiing in October at some point in next few weeks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I remember walking to the top of Snowdon on my 11th birthday in early August and encountering a blizzard
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@abc, nah. We‘re heading into Autumn. This is the first signs of the coming season not the last echoes of the previous one. Summer snow is not unusual. Will start to become more relevant to glacier skiing in October at some point in next few weeks.

Does it apply if the snow came in July? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Temperatures have already peaked for this summer. So we are now on the path towards next winter. Hence why I’d say the recent snow was the furthest edge of the coming season not the previous one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As Noza suggests, Summer temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere peak around August 10th.

The season then barrels toward Fall.

Despite global warming, the first major pukes at high to mid levels in Western Europe and North America almost always occur at the end of August.

Some US stations, like A-Basin, will start blowing their snowguns in a week or two.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not normal at all.

Locals have never known snow settling here in the valley (1100m) in August.

And it settled at 250m lower down as well.

Had some sleet about fifteen years ago in late August.
Sleeted once in mid July about 8 years ago having been 28c the previous day.

Truly exceptional at this altitude.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last year there was snowfall in July down to 2200m on 25/26 July, then 2000m on 11 August and 1500m on 03 September.

Year before 2300m on 09 August.

So snow in summer is certainly not that rare. The snow line on Sunday morning was (briefly) unusually low in recent years.
snow report
Opinions here are that it is fairly normal. It snowed down to about 1200m which can happen at any point during the summer when there's a cold front. There was certainly some early snow at the beginning of September last year.
latest report
Still 4 and a half months till we get to the start of the reliable season. We are closer to winter going in the other direction Laughing
snow conditions
It's an early start to the "will this last until..." threads season.
latest report
@adithorp, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Remember that the snowfalls were quite localized to the eastern end of the Alps. There was nothing in France, bit of ice on the top of the Col de l'Iseran but I drove across the Alps on Sunday from Italy thru Switzerland to France and the glaciers were all quite bare. It was 37C in southern France on Monday. Not exactly the start of winter.
latest report
Temperatures are back in the high 20s again now. Snow has all but gone. Excitement over.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, Good, I'll be there 2 weeks on Friday Cool
latest report
@Timberwolf, Cool
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Remember that the snowfalls were quite localized to the eastern end of the Alps. There was nothing in France, bit of ice on the top of the Col de l'Iseran but I drove across the Alps on Sunday from Italy thru Switzerland to France and the glaciers were all quite bare. It was 37C in southern France on Monday. Not exactly the start of winter.

Snowed here in Leysin Happy very localised.

Totally normal in the Dolomites as well, I've had a few August trips where we've been leaving higher refuges in the snow. This is around the Cristallo in August a couple of years back, it does make some of the higher ground fairly interesting with summer gear.

snow report
Great to see. But fairly normal for the Alps. We had snow at around 1500 m in late July in the Giffre valley (Samoens). Had to ditch plans for hut-to-hut overnight and instead drove thru the tunnel to Courmayeur for a pizza dinner. Cool

Am really hoping we have another great early season, needless to say.
ski holidays
Pasigal wrote:
Great to see. But fairly normal for the Alps. We had snow at around 1500 m in late July in the Giffre valley (Samoens) two years ago. Had to ditch plans for hut-to-hut overnight and instead drove thru the tunnel to Courmayeur for a pizza dinner. Cool

Am really hoping we have another great early season, needless to say.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy