Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas/ New Year in Canada or USA

Poster: A snowHead
I've only ever skiied in Europe and was just looking for some advice as I'm considering going across the pond for xmas and new year this year. I have considered Whistler of Banff but dont know too much about them early season. Does Canada get better early snow than the US? Alta is on my bucket list. Im going with the OH so there has to be a little to do in the town and not just all about the skiing. Would really appreciate some recommendations. thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Banff snow sure at that time?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler is pretty snow sure for Christmas and is a good intro to North American skiing. Village has a lot going on for non-skiers and Vancouver is not the worst places to spend a couple of days. Its possibly the busiest time of year though so expect crowds (but that will be true of most places during that time).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mk28 wrote:
I've only ever skiied in Europe and was just looking for some advice as I'm considering going across the pond for xmas and new year this year. I have considered Whistler of Banff but dont know too much about them early season. Does Canada get better early snow than the US? Alta is on my bucket list. Im going with the OH so there has to be a little to do in the town and not just all about the skiing. Would really appreciate some recommendations. thanks

In a normal winter Whistler, Banff and Alta will have plenty of coverage by Christmas.

Plenty for the non-skier in Whistler and Banff.

Base yourself in Park City if skiing Utah. Much more to do post-skiing. Travel to ski. Plenty of choice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
El Nino is looking likely.
So Salt Lake/Utah.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve done a similar trip with my family from Australia the last few years. All three times have been fantastic.
Grab yourselves Mountain Collective passes. Fly into Salt Lake City. Hit up Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin. Drive north a few hours and visit Jackson Hole. Drive north another few hours and visit Big Sky. On the way back down to Salt Lake you can call into Sun Valley.
Great times. Iconic ski hills.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jackson Hole is also a good candidate. Plenty of non-skiing activities.

Most people don't count JH as a early destination because the gnarly terrain may not be skiable that early in the season. But JH often gets a decent amount of snow early in the season for cruising about.

I've had good luck there early season. Powder days to usher in the New Year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weather is what it is. I skipped Snowbird this year for that reason. Read some maps and check driving distances.

Alta... well I have an "Alta Snowboard Team" sticker on my board, but I'm otherwise not allowed there. It's reputed to be somewhat mellow - Snowbird would probably work better. It's also, in my experience, easy to find Snowbird at least underwhelming; it's one of those places you need to know your way around to get the best from.

But those places don't match your other requirements. For Utah I'd rather stay in SLC, but as described, if you're looking for a resort then Park City would be where you and lots of others go.

For the last 30 years I've been in BC early season. I'd not aim at Banff as that tends to start later; Whistler would usually be a better bet. I ride for free there, but even so some years I drive on past, simply because if there's better snow elsewhere, I'll take it. I've *never* known Whistler not have significant runs open early season. There may or may not be enough depth to make the off piste good early season, if that's your goal. You don't need an OH for that, because it's controlled and patrolled. Note also that Banff has separation between the town and the three ski hills, which makes it less effective for OH lunches etc.

Jackson: costs an extra day to get into there, which is a bit of a negative. I was planning on driving up sometime, but it's all about the conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another excellent Christmas destination is Steamboat in Colorado. It has the reputation for getting good early season snow. And because many of the pistes are on grassy slopes, it only take a foot of snow for them to open the run.

It has a real village and a bit of cowboy history. Should be enough diversion for the OH

Hot spring soaking after skiing always ticks the right box.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jackson - iconic and loads to see that isn't just skiing. Rtn flights to SLC and really easy to drive up there and have second week in SLC area or vice versa. Full Ikon or MCP do the maths.

Steamboat a bit meh terrain wise compared to JH or the steeper bits of Altabird but a lot of good solid constant pitch trees.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler pretty snow sure on top can be miserable and wet at the bottom especially if the Pineapple Express is running. Plenty to do in the base village. Direct flight to Vancover. I would only go to Whistler b booking at the very last minute with a god forecast if visiting early or late season.

Steamboat or Vail or Breckenridge are pretty snowsure, easy access from Denver. Rent a car? Stay in Dillon Silverthorne. explore different resorts. If doing this consider buying the Epic local pass EARLY Direct flights to Denver.

Alta Snowbird Park City Canyons easy access from Salt Lake City or stay in Park City. Delta have offered direct flights in the past. This area is my personal favourite and I spend 3 weeks based in SLC and mostly ski Alta and Snowbird but ski Canyons if we get a weekend powder day as Alta and SNowbird are crazy busy with locals.

Inland Canada resorts can be seriously cold early season. We are talking - 10 f - 20 c. too cold for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steamboat is not part of Epic pass!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:

But Vail Beaver Breck Keystone and A Basin are so plenty to ski from a Dillon base. Just saying. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TQA wrote:
abc wrote:

But Vail Beaver Breck Keystone and A Basin are so plenty to ski from a Dillon base. Just saying. Smile

Then correct your post to remove the error.

Just saying. Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
TQA wrote:
abc wrote:

Then correct your post to remove the error.

Just saying. Smile

Please note I said

"Steamboat OR Vail"
snow report
Quote:
If doing this consider buying the Epic local pass EARLY Direct flights to Denver.
So you’re advising people to use Epic pass for Steamboat as well?

Or just for Vail?

How about Breckenridge?

(2 out of 3 aren’t too shabby. Question is which 2?)
latest report
Christmas can be early season in the canadian rockies. Plenty of skiing, but coverage may be a bit light. Can be cold.
snow conditions
Jackson Hole.
Aspen.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:
If doing this consider buying the Epic local pass EARLY Direct flights to Denver.
So you’re advising people to use Epic pass for Steamboat as well?

Or just for Vail?

How about Breckenridge?

(2 out of 3 aren’t too shabby. Question is which 2?)

Well last time I had an Epic local pass I could ski A Basin Keystone Breck, Vail and Beaver + others. Bought in October it was 648$ and as Vail was 150$for a walk up day ticket and I planned to be there for 10 days it was a no brainer.

I was just drawing the OPs attention to a possible money saver.

AND yes the EPic pass does not cover the boat!
snow report
We have done a combination of Breck/ Vail/ Park City/ Winter Park/ Steamboat over the last 4 Winters, and have also done Whistler, Banff and Fernie, although not Christmas, but very early January.

Whistler, Breck and Vail will all be mad during the holidays, Banff less so. They are all great resorts, and I personally would just head for wherever you can get the best deal.

On one trip I have done Breck, Keystone a A-Basin when based at Breck, when Vail and Beaver Creek the following week - absolutely fantastic value with an Epic Pass. Beaver Creek is a vastly underrated resort, and the runs have been empty once you get away from the juns back down to the resort.

Banff got down to -41 on one visit, but when we went to Lake Louise we had some runs almost to ourselves, plus the scenery is amazing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy