Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites / Italy for a long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any thoughts, ideas and tips on skiing in the Dolomites for 4or 6 days? Is this possible? I notice the main tour operators don’t offer this. We’d prefer to fly and transfer than drive ... Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I looked briefly into this last year as the guys I ski with wanted something other than a resort close to Geneva. In the end we flew in and out of Geneva, but there are some good small resorts sub 2 hours from Milan, which has good flight connection to London. It helps to know what you want because the header says weekend which suggests 3 to 4 days, but the post mentions 6 which is a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Typo! I meant 4 to 5!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easier - much more flexible - if you rent a car so you are not dependent on finding accommodation very close to lifts, for a non-standard period. Innsbruck is another option - 2 hours to somewhere like San Cassiano. And you'll get a better equipped car than renting in Milano.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use the train? Verona to Trento or Bolzano puts you within a 40 min taxi ride (there are probably also buses) to Folgaria or Ortisei respectively - bit of a faff with travel times but probably doable. Similarly, Innsbruck to Brixen then 40 mins to Ortisei. Or do what we're doing, go to Trento and then ski the local small area as it's only a weekend so no need to be rushing around... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi
i can get you some great deals for accommodation in the Dolomites with lift pass included.
Email me at ian8080williams@gmail.com.
Thanks
Ian
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Easier - much more flexible - if you rent a car so you are not dependent on finding accommodation very close to lifts, for a non-standard period. Innsbruck is another option - 2 hours to somewhere like San Cassiano. And you'll get a better equipped car than renting in Milano.

This.

Austrian cars have snow tyres, Italian snow chains.

Done two short trips to San Martino di Castrozza - first just there, second Corvara, Marmolada and SMdC.

Very doable, very good value for money.

TRs here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124440
https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10153976841828624&type=3

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125291
https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10154090912868624&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=AdyIWugf07iepwsWhdcm3FFB_PDYf6Td86elfgVVa3hLAA%3AAdyeM9fa7tLdU1lqkmysnxLo4O_Bt_opcCn0wLU3Cgpwzg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super useful - thanks Mike!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Italian snow chains

se sei fortunato!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Italian snow chains

se sei fortunato!

Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shawsy wrote:
Super useful - thanks Mike!

Pleasure.

Great skiing to be had in the area
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have used Mountain Sun Ltd for their short breaks in December and really enjoyed it. That property is in Tignes, but their sister company Dolomitesunltd (.com, I think there are enough s's in that) does similar December, early Jan ( I think) and March/ Easter short breaks to their San Cassiano property, Albergo Frohsinn. It is piste side and the deals include transfers from VCE and lift pass too maybe. I was looking myself the other day for a March trip and the prices seemed good value if they fit your needs or flight times you can get. Definitely worth a look

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 23-08-18 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Monterosa resorts of Champoluc and Gressoney also offer ski for free holidays, (just Google Monterosa ski for free to find a list of the hotels in the deal) and give free lift pass with HB stays of 4+ nights. You can get transfers from Turin or Milan easily, though naturally the offer tends to be for December pre peak, January, then late season dates but that is clear when you land at the website.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MountainSun (recent name change for Italian property???) do short breaks at Albergho Frohsinn.
I’ve done long weekends / short breaks several times on a DIY basis in Italy and Austria. I use www.tiscover.com or local tourist information (both very easy) to get accommodation and fly to wherever I can get a cheap flight and then rent a car. Have done Innsbruck Verona Munich Milan and others. It’s all a balance between cost and convenience
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fly to Innsbruck and take a transfer to Selva. Hotel Flora (and others) will happily do short breaks, preferably from or ending on a Saturday. Cost for 8 people is about 400 euros return.
snow conditions
Cortina.
latest report
Is it possible? Yes, and easy and worth it. Have done it several times. As Ghost Dog says, quickest is to fly to Innsbruck, stay in Selva (shortest journey time of any of the Sella Ronda villages etc - could stay in Ortisei or S Cristina which are even shorter transfers, but IMO Selva is a better base). It is only about 1-1.5 hours drive to Selva (or taxi).

We have generally flown out Thursday morning early, on the slopes by just after 12 noon (time for a quick lunch and a rapid Sella Ronda!). Then Friday and Saturday full days and back on Sunday or Monday, catching as late a flight as possible, allowing at least a good morning and lunch on the slopes on the last day.

Usually stayed at Hotel Oswald, but there is usually good availability for hotels outside peak weeks - the tourist office website is good for finding late availability. Make sure you find somewhere reasonably near the lifts. As Ghost Dog says, beginning or ending on a Sat will make it easier to find accommodation.

We usually hire a car and drive (it is a very easy drive - no scary mountain passes to Selva) - avoid using the hire firm that your airline recommends in order to avoid pickup queues, and send one person through to pick up car whilst others pick up bags for a quick getaway. The tourist office website lists taxi firms if you prefer not to drive.
snow conditions
Is it possible? Yes, and easy and worth it. Have done it several times. As Ghost Dog says, quickest is to fly to Innsbruck, stay in Selva (shortest journey time of any of the Sella Ronda villages etc - could stay in Ortisei or S Cristina which are even shorter transfers, but IMO Selva is a better base). It is only about 1-1.5 hours drive to Selva (or taxi).

We have generally flown out Thursday morning early, on the slopes by just after 12 noon (time for a quick lunch and a rapid Sella Ronda!). Then Friday and Saturday full days and back on Sunday or Monday, catching as late a flight as possible, allowing at least a good morning and lunch on the slopes on the last day.

Usually stayed at Hotel Oswald, but there is usually good availability for hotels outside peak weeks - the tourist office website is good for finding late availability. Make sure you find somewhere reasonably near the lifts. As Ghost Dog says, beginning or ending on a Sat will make it easier to find accommodation.

We usually hire a car and drive (it is a very easy drive - no scary mountain passes to Selva) - avoid using the hire firm that your airline recommends in order to avoid pickup queues, and send one person through to pick up car whilst others pick up bags for a quick getaway. The tourist office website lists taxi firms if you prefer not to drive.
ski holidays
I'm flying to Venice for £100 in early March for four days and hiring a car and driving to Civetta area. If, for some reason, there's a snow problem, I'll go the extra half an hour or so and head for Arabba. Going with a mate, looking for an easy and quick transfer and an area that won't be too busy. Leaving accommodation until closer to departure so could switch resorts at the last minute if conditions dictate. Or, just spend three days on the Marmolada glacier!!!! wink
snow conditions
Ignatius wrote:
I'm flying to Venice for £100 in early March for four days and hiring a car and driving to Civetta area. If, for some reason, there's a snow problem, I'll go the extra half an hour or so and head for Arabba.

By "snow problem" I take it you mean a lack of natural snow? A few years back (the Birthday Bash "snowmageddon") there was another type of snow problem - so much snow that the road from Alleghe to Arabba was closed for days. wink
latest report
We had a fantastic long weekend at Civetta a few years back. If you're looking for a place to stay which offers convenience and friendliness over luxury, it's worth checking out this little hotel. Hotel Garni Esperia in Alleghe.
http://www.hotelgarniesperia.it/en/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194667-d1119897-Reviews-Hotel_Garni_Esperia-Alleghe_Province_of_Belluno_Veneto.html

Right opposite the main lift and at 25-30 GBP pppn B&B, it's a great value option. The free bus stop also provides access to Marmolada & Arabba 15 minutes up the road at Malga Ciapela.
snow report
benboski wrote:
The free bus stop also provides access to Marmolada & Arabba 15 minutes up the road at Malga Ciapela.

Just to point out that the bus from Alleghe to Malga Ciapela hasn't been free for at least the last two years. It's now 4 Euros day return or 10 Euros for a weekly return ticket.
snow report
I've skied down to Alleghe when based at Zoldo.

What's it like to stay in Alleghe please?

Does it get much sun or is it in the shade?
ski holidays
See for your self ! - just click on the 'time lapse' button

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/lago-alleghe.html

looks to get sun in the PM
snow report
Did 4 ski days in Cervinia late april. Flew from Manchester to Turin, hired a car, drove to Cervinia. Easy and cheap.
latest report
albob wrote:
See for your self ! - just click on the 'time lapse' button

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/lago-alleghe.html

looks to get sun in the PM

Brilliant. Many thanks
latest report
Of the Dolomites areas above, where best for quiet pistes, can live with a smaller km
amount of pistes
ski holidays
dublin2 wrote:
Of the Dolomites areas above, where best for quiet pistes, can live with a smaller km
amount of pistes

I never queued for lifts and found the pistes deserted at San Martino di Castrozza
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've provisionally booked a twin room the other side from Alleghe in Mareson Pecul as it's a little higher and more direct to get to. Via booking.com I can cancel quite late if I decide to look at Alleghe, simply because there seems a little more life there. It also gives me the option of travelling further if I have to. I've been to Arabba before and it's a great base to explore the Sella Ronda, but for a long weekend I'm limiting the driving from Venice and unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm headed for the closest skiing.
ski holidays
I've done it a few times. Nearest airport Insbruck, after that Treviso.

Best to move about - SR for a couple of days, Civetta, Corrina.
snow conditions
dublin2 wrote:
amount of pistes

The busiest part of the Dolomites is the Sella Ronda itself. Areas off the Ronda are usually quiet. Alta Badia probably being the largest
ski holidays
@dublin2, have a look at Cortina.

Not everyone's cup of tea but has lots going for it. Great skiing, lovely town with nice wine bars and eateries. And in a beautiful setting.

You would not be disappointed!
latest report
Thanks folks,for the replies
latest report
Hi northantsred, a bit of advice please....if I get a local pass in Cortina, I think this will include the 'Hidden' valley (?), but will it include a one day pass to the Sella Ronda so I can pick up the Marmolada (again) Smile. Alternatively I will buy the full area pass for another £20.
ski holidays
we're doing just that next week
flying to treviso and heading up to san pellegrino, will stay there for a day or two and its c30 mins to link into civetta or obereggen
and we're going to san martino on our way back to the airport for the late flight home.

look at the dolomiti superski website - it has all of the ticket combos.
and yes the hidden valley would be part of cortina local.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy