Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Persistent cough - ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dsoutar wrote:
@davidof,

Someone I know has had one on and off for quite a while and it's got worse (sometimes they can be coughing every few minutes). It seems that it's caused by reflux as @hawkesbaynz suggested above

Bizarrely you would think it would have an obvious correlation to when you were eating but it's not.

Worth getting that either confirmed or eliminated as a candidate for the underlying cause

I've noted that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If some of these cases of persistant cough are acid reflux related what do you take or do in this instance ?
As the two are something I put up with .

I get them both in resort and they last weeks months I also get acid reflux but more so in the first weeks .
Not sure what combination brings on the acid reflux or the constant tickling cough .

I always thought it was partly from lack of fitness prep and the sudden aerobic increase at height

Currently use galvisgon for acid reflux as it gives temporary relief when it gets annoying and even painful .
Nothing gets rid of the cough until I leave and that means weeks months later .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, As @Tirol 164 notes, reflux-related coughs are usually 'tickly' and dry irritated rather than 'chesty' ( and sometimes phlegmy).

@Tirol 164, best answer is to get it checked by GP, and it depends on several potential factors, including whether it's a 'silent' or acid reflux, but sleeping with your head raised is often recommended, as is checking if there's a link to any foods or drinks. Drug wise, a course of PPIs or Ranitidine (both available OTC in the UK) may be prescribed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isnt Ranitidine/Zantac for acid reflux like gavisgon and PPI is a financial issue?

The tickly cough that never leaves in resort for weeks months is far worse than acid reflux .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I neglect my preventive asthma inhaler the first symptom is acid reflux.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tirol 164, Gaviscon is (I recall) magnesium carbonate (like calcium carbonate indigestion tablets) and is a basic anti-acid neutralising agent. Some of the liquid (the Advance formulation, I recall) has an alginate in it, which makes it stay longer in the stomach and is meant to float on top of stomach contents to stop them refluxing back.
Ranitidine (Zantac) is a histimine receptor blocker (but not the same type as the allergy ones) which stops stomach acid being produced in the first place, on a reasonably short-term basis but supposedly longer than basic carbonates as above.
PPIs were indeed financial products, but are also Proton Pump Inhibitors (e.g. Omeprazole, Lansoprazole), which turn off stomach acid production on a delayed but longer-term basis (not therefore an immediate relief product). Not usually recommended for long-term use, but some people do take them as such on doctor's orders.
Sometimes all 3 are prescribed for reflux conditions, sometimes 2 or 1. Depends also if the reflux has a structural cause (e.g. weak or loose sphincter, progesterone-induced relaxation) or is related to ulcers, gastritis (irritated stomach lining) or other things.
The tickly cough might or might not be related at all. Laryngopharyngeal (silent) reflux does not always have obvious acid symptoms (hence the 'silent') but can erode away the voice box and throat and produce voice problems, hoarseness, sore throats, coughs, tickles etc - or predispose to them and add to their annoyance if caused by, e.g. cold or dry air, altitude or myriad other factors. (I am not a qualified doctor, see one for qualified advice.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, all Gaviscon has alginate in it.
Advance is just a stronger version, brought out to escape the patent expiry of the original liquid. Ranitidine would be my OTC prep of choice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizzler thanks for taking the time to explain as I dont really do doctors other than recent operations .
I never take pills or read the contents so havent a clue ...hence no relief from the cough !

My first assumptions for the persistent tickly cough were the dry air and altitude with too many coffees probably not helping .
As during long stays the tickly cough wouldnt leave until I left europe

In short its seems trying Zantac is the first hopeful option which I will get .
Not to worried about acid reflux it tends to come on with exercise but the gavisgon at least gives temporary relief

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 18-09-18 12:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I caught a dose of flu while at the S14BB. I spent the rest of February and the first two weeks of March laid low. Without doubt it was the worst bug I've ever had. The sore throat lasted until May and, for a time, I honestly thought it would be part of my life for evermore! I'm sure the standard cough and cold is becoming a thing of the past - superbugs are becoming the norm!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have had a similar problem connected to sliding hiatus hernia, even though I don't suffer from acid ! Omeprazole cures it if sort of silly apologetic cough.
Or a couple of times I have been given an inhaler, even though not considered asthmatic - also worked very quickly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy