Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

22 Russians heli-rescued from Zermatt glacier ... in darkness

Poster: A snowHead
The group of 22 ... including a school/youth group of more than a dozen teenagers, a 2-year-old and 6-year-old ... got lost for 15 hours last Friday (at altitudes over 2500m), were soaked in heavy rain, started to get hypothermia ... and made an emergency call at 9.30pm. Air Zermatt saved their lives.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1421016988001184/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBFuFsiLddULXgUWvGxFnlnUwm7u2TG4eFI34i7LLa1yoLBOdgD53JiufH7JSc8AfmxqyoltDOZAuO6jJh3k3bcg2OkfHMeJxeIl6Q6CK__vL33MGnTdPnbNfMtsxulgP18PkkzZLnMhA3mdFUlY8SjPtwFcTe-EB3cMDrxv6KNqlWF&__tn__=-R

1815.ch (German): http://www.1815.ch/news/wallis/aktuell/russische-schulklasse-gerettet/
Blick (German): https://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/westschweiz/air-zermatt-rettete-22-russen-vom-gornergletscher-das-wird-ziemlich-teuer-id8749039.html
Air Zermatt + photos (German): https://www.facebook.com/airzermatt.ch/posts/1803666256336934?__xts__[0]=68.ARDN7_ExJE3_qh24OZujbSLnetqzWjfdLFHWWFdQzcPyFwv76XYTBsbxYidNMX-iwqQCdyg4dlOxSFklw86D6DwkTkwrc1Q8pf86JCfsySXHHUFcWFUEBIpiVxitbdunhCUaJ-HxIOD5&__tn__=-R
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Davina Goldballs, Irresponsible behaviour by those in charge of the group, probably due to ignorance. Skullie

I wonder whether Air Zermatt will charge the group for the costs involved in the rescue (and whether the Russians had travel insurance to cover such an event?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:
Das wird ziemlich teuer

Quote:
Sie werden bald eine gesalzene Rechnung kriegen
Denn die Kosten für einen solchen Rettungseinsatz werden in der Schweiz jeweils auf die Verursacher überwälzt. «Die Geretteten werden in der nächsten Zeit eine Rechnung erhalten», sagt der Zermatter Rettungschef Anjan Truffer zu BLICK. Die müsse dann entweder von ihnen direkt oder, falls vorhanden, von ihrer Versicherung beglichen werden.

This going to be expensive. Hope they have insurance against stupidity!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steilhang, Good. I wonder whether the Russians have left Switzerland now before paying (or whether they will be prevented from doing so by the Swiss authorities)? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Meanwhile, on Mont Blanc: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/18/mont-blanc-mayor-calls-ban-ill-prepared-thrillseekers/

Quote:
A man wearing trainers instead of mountain boots with crampons, was spotted this week on the narrow Bosses Ridge leading to the summit — a route first climbed in 1861 by a group including Leslie Stephen, father of the writer, Virginia Woolf.

Three others blithely risked their lives by lying sunbathing on a fragile snow bridge over a crevasse. “One man even tried to drag his poor dog up there, and a guide was punched for not stopping to let eight east European climbers pass his group,” the mayor said. “Last year a helicopter had to be called out to rescue two nine-year-old twins from Hungary who were being taken up by their parents. The father continued climbing.”

And I believe it isn't much better on Ben Nevis etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm - stupid people be stupid, ignorant people be ignorant. I'm always sceptical of those who seek to introduce additional bureaucracy ( and no doubt handsome fees) on grounds of safety to save people from themselves. Your everyday idiot may not blink at the fees or additional process but still be no safer having obtained a "licence" so the next step is to make guides mandatory etc etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pruman wrote:

Your comment led me to do some internet searching. I wasn't aware of this, but apparently under Scottish Law (but not English) there is a common law offence of Culpable and Reckless Conduct.

Maybe time to bring a few prosecutions against people endangering themselves and others in the Scottish Mountains...... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elf n safety gorrn maaad!! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the man in trainers was killian jornet

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 22-08-18 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Davina Goldballs, perhaps not quite as reckless as it may seem. Whilst the route to the Monte Rosa hut does cross a glacier (or did when I did it last) it is "dry" in summer conditions and should be no issue for any reasonably fit person. Looking at the pictures the group seemed to be properly equipped, ice axes, proper clothing etc. Taking the kids is a judgement call, I have seen plenty of young children in the high mountains, sometimes carried on their parents' backs. The approach to this hut should not be particularly dangerous or strenuous so doable with young kids. I guess they got caught out by bad weather, perhaps they did not take enough notice of the weather forecast but they will not be the first or last folk to be caught out by unexpected bad weather in the mountains. It can be very easy to get lost, even the most experienced mountaineers can become disorientated in bad weather.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Davina Goldballs, Irresponsible behaviour by those in charge of the group, probably due to ignorance. Skullie

I wonder whether Air Zermatt will charge the group for the costs involved in the rescue (and whether the Russians had travel insurance to cover such an event?)

Almost certainly. Free rescues stopped in the 1930s when the Swiss got fed up pulling Germans off the Eiger.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sure they'll charge them but whether or not they will be able to recover it is another matter. I read an article in the paper here a couple of months back about cases where tourists were un- or under-insured - basically they are able to chase the debt in some countries but not others and if they don't pay then the rescue service gets landed with the bill for the rescue and the canton/gemeinde for any hospital treatment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
....the air-jocks of Air Zermatt love doing this kind of stuff, I have seen them doing all sorts - landing on the old bridge at the Saas-Zermatt roundabout, doing a dramatic flare into the woods at Zinal...of course they need money to keep the clockwork in the toys running, so the nice person in the office will press the buttons on the calculator and send off the invoice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

Is that really true?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Pruman wrote:

Your comment led me to do some internet searching. I wasn't aware of this, but apparently under Scottish Law (but not English) there is a common law offence of Culpable and Reckless Conduct.

Maybe time to bring a few prosecutions against people endangering themselves and others in the Scottish Mountains...... Madeye-Smiley

"The offence has no specific definition but deals with acts involving a criminal degree of recklessness which cause injury to other persons or create a risk of such injury"

So no, putting yourself at risk doesn't count. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culpable_and_reckless_conduct
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Pruman wrote:

"The offence has no specific definition but deals with acts involving a criminal degree of recklessness which cause injury to other persons or create a risk of such injury"

So no, putting yourself at risk doesn't count. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culpable_and_reckless_conduct

But if you're not on your own but in charge of or leading a group of other people it would count. Wink
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
davidof wrote:

Is that really true?

it could be. he was on Instagram in his trsiners on mb the other day.
ski holidays
@davidof, Chapeau to him Laughing
snow report
Things like this are always happening in the Lake District. People don't read the forecast or listen to the Fell top assessors in Winter or make any plans whatsoever, not even taking food or water. This March/April just after KMRT issued a warning that the mountains are still in full winter conditions and require crampons and ice axe, 2 of my guests told me they were going to 'do Helvellyn', upon advising them of KMRTs warning and suggesting they plan an alternate route should their summit attempt be unsuccessful based on conditions - they said no, we've done walking we'll be fine.

Next day, 'So did you make it up yesterday?', 'No, the conditions were too snowy and icey, I didn't realise it could be like that here!'... well I did tell you.

People do die up there & in the worst cases their bodies get trapped and they can't bring them down til Spring.
snow report
You're right about it not just being an Alps thing. Witnessed three families walk right out into the middle of frozen Red Tarn whilst I was descending from a climb on Helvellyn late Feb this year. Could here the ice shifting etc. Kids ages must have been in the range of 5 - 10. Also so someone slide a fair way down from swirral edge, so many people with no winter gear. What do you even say to them when the danger is so obvious?
ski holidays
No, it’s not “obvious” to someone who had not experienced winter conditions besides their one week a year holiday to the mountain.

I once sae a SUV stranded on a snowmobile track. He didn’t understand why his tyres can’t get any traction on snow! He wasn’t even drunk.

Common sense is not at all common. Sad
latest report
It is obvious. Every single time there is a slight dusting of snow anywhere in the country there are whether warnings in place, and reports of accidents etc and even loss of life. There are a huge amount of the population out there who chose to ignore danger and go out anyway. This is the same for Mountains - people not even taking a torch with them - sun sets at the same time whether you're up a mountain or in the town... what makes you think you wouldn't need a torch when sunset is 3.30pm, like it was yesterday, and the walk you're on is at least 6 hours that you started at 11am?

I remember as a teenager we were always taught 'better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it'. As mountains become more accessible people tend to think that they become less dangerous.

Unfortunately in my experience I've learnt that you can't 'tell' people they should be having Crampons & Ice axe and should be proficient in their use. I've learnt that people will only accept the weather forecast (the ignore it when it says -15*c at the summit + Windchill) and a suggestion that they leave their details, route plan (inc. alternate) in the event they don't return when expected. I give people leaflets 'How to stay safe in the mountains' supplied by KMRT That's all we can do.
snow report
@Extremophile, spot on.

Glad I carried a spare headtorch last nov in the Lakes when one of our party of four picked up an injury and we needed 3 hrs to do a 1hr stretch. Was difficult enough with four people and three headtorches but would have been very nasty with four and none.

In 1990s someone I know in a rescue team carrying a stretcher case off Scafell Pike in clag and sleet launched a verbal attack on a long-haired pair coming up in tatty jackets, shorts and sandals. One of the other members of the team had to grab him and whisper '...er...layoff those two, one of them is Doug Scott...'....
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@davidof, Chapeau to him Laughing

The guy they were talking about in the article was a trailer. I don't think trail shoes are wrong for that route depending on experience.
ski holidays
If it was Killian Jornet I never know what to think - the guy has mountains of experience, but on the other hand people see him in shorts and trainers running around in the mountains and they think 'I'll have a go at that' and they take off up Sharp edge with no real understanding of the terrain or conditions.

Killian has a great team around him & he has intricate knowledge of the mountains he does his prep work, otherwise he wouldn't be able to do what he does, but because people don't see those members of his team or the prep work they think he's a maverick going solo, taking on the world as an average joe.
snow conditions
Hmm I've had a long slide from Striding Edge. Ironically came about because I'd just handed my ice axe to someone who wasn't properly equipped and really needed the security. A few steps later and crampons did f all. Had to slide a fair way until snow was soft enough to punch into by hand and speed was coming off a bit with the gradient mellowing. Lesson learned - let the ill equipped person fall wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, this is getting to be like the BMC website ... I was taking the kids (then 11 and 13) up to the Bertol Hut at 3111m and what ten years before had been a long snow slope was partly blue water ice and partly shattered morraine - 80kg jagged blocks, all precariously balanced. Ho Hum, no crampons (but axes and reasonable rack) ... so up the morraine and off the ice. Only ... the blocks collapse and I get a huge whack on the head and a big hole in the arm. Spent the night seeping blood and kicking myself for not having spikes with me.
snow report
I'm not giving my axe to anyone... if they failed to heed given risks why should i then give them my axe and risk my life!?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm reminds me I spied my axe in my bro's garage last time I was over - have to "unborrow" that
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:
If it was Killian Jornet I never know what to think - the guy has mountains of experience, but on the other hand people see him in shorts and trainers running around in the mountains and they think 'I'll have a go at that' and they take off up Sharp edge with no real understanding of the terrain or conditions.

l

I would also need to be convinced the guy in the article was wrong. I know people who have done the climb in trainers who are more experienced than Killian but obviously the margins for error are lower. To some extent the section below the router is more dangerous due to the black ice.
latest report
Lol.

The Russkis will probably face a Swiss bill of ~$5k.

The dood in sneakers was probably trying to break the ascent or descent record for MB.
snow report
It was probably a very simple rescue as luckily one would fit in the other and then the other and then the other....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy