Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December winter holiday ideas with 1yo on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
Husband and I are looking to take a family winter holiday in December but stumped for location. We're both strong skiers but will have our little boy with us and want to mostly focus on it being a fun winter holiday for him, but if the snow is ok, then we can take turns at going for a ski. We're on a tight budget, say £500pp for flights and accommodation and prefer sc apartments. We can only travel the week before xmas or new year week (yeah, not so budget) since I'm a teacher. Can't go at half term or Easter due to other commitments (weddings, family, etc).

My thoughts so far have been:
Zell um See, as it looks like a pretty location but with glacier nearby.
Innsbruck, xmas market, city break but put off by getting to ski slopes?

Any bright ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did Innsbruck for a few days then skied Hochzillertal as it was easy to get to from Innsbruck all over last Xmas for just over a week altogether .

It was a great trip. You could do it for £500pp if thats 3 people so £1500 and its really just travel and accommodation budget and not including ski pass, hire etc
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@carettam, if you are prepared to wait / take a chance, I have seen last minute deals very cheap with Esprit for Christmas week especially for 2adults / 1 child. This would then mean you could also book their nursery if you wish (but no obligation to). I realise you prefer self catering but going with Esprit will also mean things like travel cots, high chairs, beakers, child suitable cutlery, access to microwave and changing areas are all there making live a lot easier and less to bring out with you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@carettam, how much does a 1 year old notice about the location? I’d focus on ski-in ski-out if you intend to swap child care duties, and then a large ski area doesn’t matter too much as you’re not going off for the day. Or places with child care if you are looking for that.

As you are in Brighton, you could do Gatwick-Åre Östersund with EasyJet the week before Christmas for less than £100 each return. SC acccomdation via skistar.se is less than £500 for an apartment. Transfer £100 for you all by buss (Flyggtaxi). Parentpass ski pass to share between you £250. Eating and drinking out I the evening will blow your budget, so shop in the supermarket and buy beer/wine in the off licence.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're thinking of Zell am See as an option, you might also consider Saalbach, which is considerably higher and more ski convenient, as well as being only 15 minutes drive from Zell and about 30 minutes from the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. A couple of years ago we had a couple of guests who stayed with us during the last week of November. The early snow was good enough for Saalbach to open part of its ski area ahead of schedule (for the last two weekends of November), and the other days they drove to the glacier. The week before Christmas there is a good prospect of the whole 270km ski area being open; obviously not guaranteed, but even in a bad year for early snow (like the season before last), the very efficient snow-making enabled at least 150 km of piste to be opened in early December.

Flights from Stansted or Gatwick to Salzburg would currently cost around £100 - £120 return. Accommodation is available right next to the nursery slopes and a main gondola station, so no need to walk or catch buses. A good ski-in ski-out apartment could be rented for less than £1,000. A private transfer from the airport takes just over an hour and would cost about EUR 300 return, although there are also shuttle buses, public buses and trains that work out considerably cheaper.

Send me a PM if you would like a copy of my comprehensive, 20 page guide, which covers everything from transport options to skiing and restaurant recommendations.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes week before Xmas will be quiet and cheap usually with plenty of snow.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

how much does a 1 year old notice about the location?

I was thinking the same thing. I have a lot of experience of how to do skiing holidays with small kids - but as a grandmother combining childcare, transfer driving and chalet maiding. The 1 year old will enjoy playing in the snow - in suitable clothing. But not for long, especially if they are still crawling rather than walking confidently; 1 year olds don't do anything for long. So you need a bit of snow VERY near your warm accommodation (a big bucket full of snow will be enough, if necessary).

Ideally you need a grand-parent who likes winter in the mountains but is prepared to pander to your every need, rather than ski and not require entertaining! Failing that, ski in/out accommodation so you can swap easily.

Your budget is very tight - too tight to pay for child-care, I guess. So it won't be easy. Do you have friends with a similar age child, to share with? That would make evenings in, cooking your own supper and having a few glasses of wine, so much more fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which week are you looking at? My daughter and son in law are both teachers (different LEAs) and don't have a week before the peak Christmas holiday dates.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One option would be to try somewhere like Kronplatz. Italian prices with Austrian efficiency.

It relies on snow making but is extremely reliable place for a ski holiday because of its position in the southern alps sheltered from the Atlantic and northerly storms.

These days it tends to have more lifts operational and more kms of skiing open, earlier in the season, than the high resorts in the western alps which tend to suffer from exposure to wind and poor visibility.

The season starts reliably in late November and the grassy slopes, sheltered runs and heated lifts should mean comfortable skiing !

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/kronplatz-plan-de-corones/test-result/snow-reliability/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carettam, Tignes, ski in/ out but it'll be cold.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, Thanks for your replies. As our budget is tight, we were more looking at a wintery holiday that offered a side of skiing, with lots for little one to do. He's already walking so he's not going to just want to hang around an apartment all day and we'd like to spend time with him rather than pay for childcare. I work in an Indy school, hence the week before xmas being possible. It would be nice if there was a good pool, maybe animals to look at, sledging, xmas market, sleigh rides, scenic, ice sculptures, or other things. I don't want to be in an ugly but functional ski resort, rather a pretty village or town with plenty going on with some skiing on offer. Skiing doesnt need to be extensive.
Having done some more thinking, maybe dolomites might offer a good mix? Or Briancon? Saalbach may also fit the bill but we've been fairly recently and like visiting new places. Are might also work.
Unfortunately we don't have a handy grandma to take along. We may be able to twist the arm of another couple with a young child but not holding our breath.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les arc 1800. Go by Eurostar train direct cheaply. Get an airbnb apartment for £500 the week. Lots to do for little one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I don't want to be in an ugly but functional ski resort,

Quote:

Les arc 1800

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carettam wrote:
It would be nice if there was a good pool, maybe animals to look at, sledging, xmas market, sleigh rides, scenic, ice sculptures, or other things. I don't want to be in an ugly but functional ski resort, rather a pretty village or town with plenty going on with some skiing on offer. Skiing doesnt need to be extensive.

Åre village is nice, but small. But to stay in the village rather than another area will be more expensive. There’s a very nice adventure pool down in the Holiday Club resort. If you want to do other stuff like see a Sami camp and the reindeer, you’d need a car. These things would push things over your budget though I guess.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The skiwelt in Austria do a young family lift pass which allows parents of under 3s to have one lift pass and swap it between them which helps bring the cost down.
ski holidays
@Alicat, The Ski Circus (Saalbach etc) has just introduced that too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy