Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train from Lyon to 3 Valleys (Moutiers-Salins)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has ever travelled by train from Lyon, or Geneva, to three valleys (Moutiers-Salins)? I presume it is cheaper than private transfer and, perhaps, more comfortable than taking a large group bus? All feedback is welcome!

Our ultimate destination is St. Martin de Belleville and our trip is scheduled fro March 2019 (I apprecite a transfer would be needed from station to St Martin).

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done it from Lyon Part-Dieu (after arriving from Paris), but not from the airport. There are direct trains - relatively slow but less faffing about. We didn't have seat reservations, but plenty of space, even on a Saturday in March (outside French half-term).

I don't think there are direct trains from the airport station, but you can either get the airport ExpressTram to Part-Dieu and pick up direct trains from there, or take other routes via Grenoble etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dof, iirc is about €20 to get from airport to Part Deux on either bus or train-like connections. But agreed City centre station is where to go to get to Moutiers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A friend did this without going to Part-Dieu first, I think it was a TGV that went on this route.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You do not need to pay to get from Geneva airport to the main railway station, or to anywhere else in Geneva by public transport for that matter. Inside the baggage hall at the airport is a ticket machine that gives you a free ticket to travel on buses trains or trams within Geneva for the next hour so you can reach your destination. It is on the wall I think just to the right of where you exit through customs.
We have travelled by train from Geneva to 3V many times but you need at least 2 trains and it only gets you to Moutiers. We always had a family member out there to pick us up and only did it on days there wasn't a suitable transfer shuttle. My advice would be to use a transfer company such as Bens Bus which will probably get you directly there in a shorter time and cheaper. I have not tried to travel from Lyon to 3V by train, only transfers on a package holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all

That is very helpful.

Regards

D
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Exert from my trip report 2012

' flew from Stansted airport mid-morning on the Friday, Easy Jet to Geneva. I will post a separate thread on my opinion of Stansted airport! Plane staff and mobility help at Geneva airport could not have been better, extremely helpful and polite.

Took the train (free of charge with a ticket collected at the baggage hall, mobility staff took us to collect tickets and took us right to the train) to Geneva Cornavin and stayed overnight in the Hotel Bernina. http://www.bernina-geneve.ch/ chosen for its adjacent location to the station.

Hotel staff were helpful, the rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable if a little outdated. Free tea, coffee and wi fi was available in the lounge, I could not pick up the wi fi in the bedrooms though I was told it should work. We had a very good, early dinner (and the most amazing beer) in the apparently famous Les Brasseurs next door. The hotel staff had pre warned us that it could get a little noisy later in the evening but we did not stay late.

Cornavin station was a little confusing as there is work in progress but we found the correct platform after a little bit of a walk and got into the first class carriage to Chambery. Train was very busy! We had to change at Chambery, but this was just getting off one train, and waiting 40 minutes till the next train pulled into the adjacent platform. We had coffee sat in the enclosed waiting area and a lovely chat to some locals who had also found the signs a little confusing due to an earlier scheduled train being delayed. Train to Bourg was also busy but first class was not full. I forgot to validate the ticket at Chambery but no one came round to check. Both parts of the journey passed through lovely scenery and we arrived in Bourg St Maurice late lunch time.'

And then from my trip report the following year

'I travelled with my elderly Aunt from Stansted airport to Lyon Airport, with Easyjet (£63.98 for the two of us) who arranged mobility help at both airports. We took the tram from the airport to Lyon Part Dieu rail station (15 euros each) and stayed overnight in the Novotel next to the station. I popped over the the Carrefour in the huge shopping mall to pick up snacks for our train journey the next day as the train has no restaurant facilities before having a nice dinner in the hotel.

Acces Plus provided mobility help at Lyon station, and when just over 3 hours after our departure collected us off the train at Bourg St Maurice'

Hope that helps. I remember that there used to be a tgv direct from Lyon Airport but the timings never worked when I looked at flight arrivals from Stansted.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy