Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski holiday in Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some good advice above.

The main target demographic for Scottish ski resorts are the 5-10 million people who live in within day / weekend trip-able distance. Conditions are variable - but if you can go when it is looking good then you can get some great skiing which will be cheaper than alps (if your start point is northern half of UK).

Best not to book in advance to allow flexibility. However winter is low-season in highlands so chance of finding accommodation last minute is high. Only 'busy' time might be half-term if the snow is looking really good.

March and April is usually best time of year for decent snow and weather.
Plus by that time of year queues are unusual - though the first weekends of season in Jan / Feb can be busy.

winterhighland.com has all the info you need.
snow / road / weather reports <etc>

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29 wrote:
Only skied once in Scotland at Glenshee late January back in mid 90's after a decent week of snow, it was awful and I vowed never to return. Huge queues, narrow windblown ice slopes (not pistes), patches of bare earth that you had to hike over, lousy accommodation/ beer and food. Never been back, head south to the Alps is my advice unless its great conditions in which case give it a look and take a gamble on Cairngorm but be prepared to be constantly queueing unless its midweek. Was once working in Glasgow and had a down-day, drove up really early midweek to Glencoe and carpark rammed with huge queues at lift, turned around and left.

We love Scotland for hiking and the western Isles but a ski-destination its a non-starter imo as a viable alternative to the Alps, unless you live in the Highlands and can pick your days and are really local/ flexible.

That said a bad day in the mountains is better than a great day behind the desk, but its a 7-8 hour drive for me and we can be in the Alps in similar time.

The beer is not lousy you cheeky bass!! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy