Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deadly Toll In Mountains (Autrian Tirol)

Poster: A snowHead
Summer is more Deadly than Winter

Sunday saw Fatal Number 26 und 27 since May.

By Comparison: Total Summer 2017 Dead in Tirol 41 M

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/14712859-91/es-ist-wirklich-ein-wunder-dass-nicht-mehr-passiert.csp

From Artcle

Many hikers and climbers are well equipped.
"The equipment usually fits ok, is of high quality," says Hochstaffl.
"Only the way it is used is more than often questionable.
It's really a miracle that is not happening a lot more".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The mountains are full of old people in the Summer, losing their balance and falling over clifftops.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, simple statistics, more people venture into the mountains in summer than in winter, also in winter the overwhelming majority are in a semi controlled environment. Accidents will always happen, even if the risk is actually very small (it is) if lots of people are there then a few will be involved in an accident. Far higher long term risk health sitting at home watching TV doing little exercise.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, really? I always find the mountains much emptier in summer than in winter. But those that are there tend to be much older and less fit. Also there are many fewer safety barriers and safety patrols than in winter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ringingmaster, I agree with@munich_irish, the ski resorts will probably we busier in the winter than the summer, but they only cover a tiny part of the mountains.

As an example if I venture into that range of hills between val d'isere and the Italianborder Iin the summer I will come across lots of people. In the winter I doubt any one goes there.

At the moment I'm in the dolomites and the place is very busy. In the winter only the ski resorts are busy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ringingmaster, here in the dolomites I would say most of the visitors are much younger and fitter than the average skier. Just saw a group setting out from canazai to cycle up (I expect) the pordoi pass. Most of the hikers and climbers also look in better shape than the majority of skiers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So how come there is so much spare accommodation in the summer?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ringingmaster, Yes in ski resorts but there is lots of accomdation available elsewhere that is not used during the winter
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From this link ….
https://www.alpinesicherheit.at/data/docs/2017/2017-09-25%20PK_Bericht%20Sommer%202017.pdf

Quote:
In Tirol gab es insgesamt 41 Todesopfer, davon 27 beim Bergwandern, 4 beim Klettern (3x Klettersteig, 1 x klassisch Alpin Klettern), 2 bei einem Flugunfall, je ein Toter auf Hochtour und Mountainbiken und 6 Personen entfallen unter Sonstiges.

In Tirol (2017) there were a total of 41 deaths, 27 from mountain walking, 4 from climbing (3 Klettersteig/Via ferreta, 1 classic alpine climbing), 2 in a plane crash one on a high mountain tour, 1 on a mountainbike and 6 others/unspecified.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EU NOT SAFE
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of the mountain-walking deaths are through cardiovascular disorders (43%) slips / loss of balance were the second most common cause (26%) and falls came in third (16%).

When the summer is mild the mountain temps are often in single digits and not so attractive. Once the valley temps rise into the 30 Deg C's the approx 10 Dec C cooler mountain temps become much more attractive. This draws people into the mountains but unfortuately for some the strain of the tour is too much. Although the temp is more comfortable than in the valley the altitude combined with serious exercise becomes too much for them. I suspect some lose their footing or balance because they are tired so the fitness aspect is probably responsible for much more than the 43%.

I'm beginning to wonder if a klettersteig is actually safer than mountain walking.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
Most of the mountain-walking deaths are through cardiovascular disorders (43%) slips / loss of balance were the second most common cause (26%) and falls came in third (16%).

When the summer is mild the mountain temps are often in single digits and not so attractive. Once the valley temps rise into the 30 Deg C's the approx 10 Dec C cooler mountain temps become much more attractive. This draws people into the mountains but unfortuately for some the strain of the tour is too much. Although the temp is more comfortable than in the valley the altitude combined with serious exercise becomes too much for them. I suspect some lose their footing or balance because they are tired so the fitness aspect is probably responsible for much more than the 43%.

I'm beginning to wonder if a klettersteig is actually safer than mountain walking.

I think that is basically what white gold said above
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
I think that is basically what white gold said above

Yes, if whitegold had added "while holding onto their chest" he would have nailed it.

Seriously it's more fitness/health related than just down to being clumsy with the correct equipment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, I think klettersteig is probably safer. You are more aware of your surroundings and potential failings thus you concentrate more. Less likely actually to slip off or take a fall. May still have a heart attack though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennyboy1 said,
Quote:
I think klettersteig is probably safer
...as long as you're using the correct kit - still see a fair number of people just using slings with no energy absorbing system (EAS), so any fall could be pretty serious Skullie .

Great eye opening video on testing different types of kit with 4m fall of 80kg weight (including basic rope/slings at ~ 1min in) here

youtube.com/v/jOzhOs9SAws

And description of fall-factor forces involved here http://www.mountaineeringmethodology.com/protection-on-a-klettersteig/
latest report
@geoffers, yes the wrong equipment or incorrrct use would could be fatal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy