Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Its still relatively quiet on the slopes but that will probably change tomorrow. The SG home run is now like an ice rink so not very pleasant, I dont see it staying open past next week once the temps start rising tomorrow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How is it looking on the run into Megeve?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Moorzee10 wrote:

I was only out for an hour or so today and didnt make it that far but it was fine as far as the Ideal lift, runs with snow making should continue to be ok but they will tend to turn slushly lower down from tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
devilabit wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:

I was only out for an hour or so today and didnt make it that far but it was fine as far as the Ideal lift, runs with snow making should continue to be ok but they will tend to turn slushly lower down from tomorrow.

Great thank you for the update
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friends out there at the moment, and conditions look good on the pictures they are texting. To be fair though, the most photogenic locations tend not to be the lowest.

They kept the Megeve home run going into the last week of last season. One could hardly say it was enjoyable skiing but it allowed us to get over to Rochebrune to ski the Cote 2000 area which held up reasonably. But they will have depended on snow making - even when we were out two weeks ago a few runs on the Megeve side had mud showing through (those with quite a lot of west and south, and no snow making).

The other thing though is how much water they still have for snow making. It looked as if the reservoirs were running pretty dry (those below the Ideal chair, and alongside Chateluy).

We are hoping for a decent refresh from a real snowfall before we are out again, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do to encourage that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
j b wrote:

We are hoping for a decent refresh from a real snowfall before we are out again, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do to encourage that.

Snowdance? Sacrifice to the snowspirits?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris wrote:
Snowdance? Sacrifice to the snowspirits?

Worth thinking about. Would the French snow gods respond to a dance in England?

We wondered if we had spotted you a couple of weeks ago - but it was hardly appropriate to introduce ourselves to a group of piste patrollers dealing with a casualty. Hope it is all boing well, nothing updated on your adventure blog.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the runs at Cote 2000 bar Marmots are good. Lanchettes and Variant Mouiettes are also good. Thurn, Arpette, A, A2 and Olympic are fine but hard in the afternoon. BUT Fontaine area is getting messy, Forestiere is probably closing this afternoon due to mud! To get to Cote 2000 recommend Rosiere
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Idris, though things will have changed (hopefully for the better) by the time we return.

Can't remember which run is Forestiere. We usually head towards Cote 2000 by taking Caboche, down to the Arpette chair, then the blue with the steep start more or less opposite but going round on the red track to the right to reach Petite Fontaine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
Thanks @Idris,
Can't remember which run is Forestiere. We usually head towards Cote 2000 by taking Caboche, down to the Arpette chair, then the blue with the steep start more or less opposite but going round on the red track to the right to reach Petite Fontaine.

Forestiere is one of the short blues from Caboche/Rochbrune to Arpette. Quickest way and almost unknown to get to Cote 2000 is go down the (green) A from Caboche and take the (green) Rosier straight to Petite Fontaine, miss the Arpette and the current mess of Scion (Red)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
j b wrote:
Thanks @Idris,

Forestiere is one of the short blues from Caboche/Rochbrune to Arpette. Quickest way and almost unknown to get to Cote 2000 is go down the (green) A from Caboche and take the (green) Rosier straight to Petite Fontaine, miss the Arpette and the current mess of Scion (Red)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, @Idris. I think Scion is the red we join via that track, and I did notice it was wearing thin in places two weeks ago.

We have taken the Raviere route once for reasons I can't remember, I had guessed it wouldn't be a run to hold up since much of it is lowish and my impression was it was somewhat south-facing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m currently out in Megeve (arrived 15th and go home tomorrow 20th). I wanted to provide an update for interested folks.

It is incredibly warm from mid morning onwards but the snow has really surprised me with how good it has been.

I’ve spent most of the week as high as possible (Cote 2000, Mt Jolly etc) with Cote 2000 being comfortably the best skiing.

It’s a bit worrying how many runs are closing by the day and Jalliet is pretty much a no go now. We haven’t ventured up there but it’s green fields from the Jalliet lift.

In summary, for what is like April conditions there is still a fair amount of skiing to go at but I’d be concerned for how much longer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks@Moorzee10, we will be out in two weeks time so we have been anxiously looking at the reports. The webcams look as if the snow is holding up on the main runs though goodness knows what it is like under the skis in the afternoon. We are hoping the changes in the weather pattern expected during this week work in our favour.

I think those runs under the Jaillet lift have a lot of south in them, you often need to download in the gondola. The upper Combloux runs and the ridge to La Giettaz may still be OK, though I think the return pistes off Christomet easily get cut up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KO was on Jaillet today and apart from home run it was ok in the main
snow report
Back from a week in VT so now focusing on the SG weekend trip in early March. From the webcams it looks like the warm weather last week has impacted the snow a fair bit. Seeing some snow on the forecast for later this week and the weekend so fingers cross that comes to fruition!
latest report
Les Conta is still holding up very well as of Saturday, the Rosellete sector as usual was very nice except for the bottom part where all the runs merge. Tomorrow is going to be the warmest day but then we can expect a gradual cooling trend from Wednesday. It looks like the Southern Alps will do best out of this weeks disturbances however we might get some snow on Friday evening. 10cm is the minimum required to make a difference but ideally a lot more is needed.
snow report
Out to SGV all being well on the 10th March, following the weather closely as it’s starting to look very thin on the webcams as the current hot temps and no fresh snowfall for quite a while combined with the rain that decimated the snow at the tail end of December is really starting to show its effects.

Fingers and toes crossed for some decent snowfall, but it’s deffo not looking too clever at the min.

We will making a judgement call in the 1st week of March if it’s worth us bothering.
snow report
Les Contamines will have snow .. solid up top and pretty good all the way to the car park on Thursday last week. Didn't ski SG or Megeve all week though .. not sure how much they will have open without some fresh snow and/or a cold snap soon.
snow report
@depthjunkie, I don't think anyone can make a prediction for you. Most of us are hoping the change in weather patterns predicted for next week will work in our favour but it's a matter of crossing fingers - it isn't clear how much precipitation there might be or at what altitude it falls as snow rather than rain.

We will be out at the same time, managing as best we can and heading to Les Contamines if necessary.
latest report
Was not asking anyone to make a prediction Eh oh!

just saying I was going to be watching the weather forecasts closely over next week and I will be making a judgment call 1st week in March.

I go skiing to ski, a week in LC just won’t t cut it for me as I will ski the place out in a day. We enjoy the area as we generally spread our time out along the valley with a few days here and there I.E SGV & Megeve for a couple of days, a few days in LC and maybe a day or two in cham/Argentiere all spread through out the week.

It’s too expensive to go and ski one small place for a whole week for me and I like to go up and down the valley skiing the whole area.

But as I said fingers & toes crossed to see what this next week and half brings.
ski holidays
Same here .. Le Tour and GM were also good last week. Higher/North facing will have snow imo .. lower/south facing not so much.
snow report
Add just like that the forecast changed! Forecast for a few centimeters over the next two days. I suppose every little helps.
snow conditions
Les Contamines was fine on Tuesday although getting soupy by mid afternoon. Just about everything still open, even the home red run was OK. But crowded at certain pinch points. We only skiied one run on the Hauteluce side however.
latest report
depthjunkie wrote:

I go skiing to ski, a week in LC just won’t t cut it for me as I will ski the place out in a day.

Only if you stay on the pistes...
snow report
Off piste with the current snow depth and how far back in time since it last snowed, rolling eyes rolling eyes ermmmm no thanks I will save that for when conditions warrant it
ski holidays
^^it was actually pretty soft between the pistes yesterday. But with a lot of snow LC is basically a giant snowpark...
snow conditions
Epaule looking really rough on webcams...don't think I've ever seen it as brown as that in Feb. We were hoping for a few days in StG/Contamines in early to mid March but doesn't look like a good idea unless we get some new snow. Eh oh! Fondue at the Edelweiss might have to wait until next season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
belette wrote:
Epaule looking really rough on webcams...

True. But on the one webcam that actually broadcasts a live image (top of Croix lift on side of Mont Joux) it looks as if it is actually snowing at the moment. Fingers very tightly crossed.
latest report
I got back from 10 days in Les C on Tuesday. Admittedly the last three days I only did a couple of trips up to the top of the Buche Croissee for ski touring.

Obviously its been a disappointing season but the pistes were surprisingly good - very few bare patches and not even that icy. Runs to report fine. The cold temps and pisteurs have done a great job. Even the Loyers run in the village is open!

Off piste you need to hunt out the best snow. It was obviously very windy at some point because at the start of the trip there was a lot of sastrugi and hard buffed wind deposits. Any of that can be nice when it gets transformed by the sun of course. We had nice runs over the back to Hauteluce from Buche Croissee and skiers left of Veleray down to Colombaz (and all the way to the valley after a good lunch on the terrace of the Auberge).

we did four days of touring towards the end:
1. Rocheurs de Enclave and down to Hauteluce
2. Col de Chasseurs and back by Col de Fenetre
3. Couloir NW on Pointe de Charbon (above the combe d'Armancette)
4. Col de Fenetre, Pointe Sud de Monts Jovet and back by Voie Romaine (very icy at the bottom, worst I've ever seen it, guides have closed it and send you walking through the woods but I walked down it in crampons)

All were fun trips with some nice snow and some rubbish, blue skies, beautiful views and solitude.

Anyone who skis out Les C in a day shows a total lack of imagination! I'm still finding new stuff after 10 years Very Happy
ski holidays
Should say that I've never seen Les C as busy as it has been this season. You only really have queues getting up the bubbles in the morning but those have been pretty bad. I suppose it just reflects how much better the pistes have been than in nearby resorts.
ski holidays
Quote:

I suppose it just reflects how much better the pistes have been than in nearby resorts.

Yes, probably - Les C always has the best snow around. I never went up from the Les C side - always from Hauteluce.
ski holidays
Have a few Découverte tickets from my PDS season pass. Would Les Contamines be the best of the bunch for tomorrow? Any tips where to go and not go? Planning to stay on piste and hopefully benefit from quieter changeover day.
Also, any particular parking recommendations?
ski holidays
@klanfa, Park at the gorge uplift
snow report
Quick question. Is there a special weekend lift pass rate at St Gervais?? I'm out on 8th March, skiing 9th, 10th & 11th but the best rate I can see online is the web rate at €148 per person. Is this genuinely the best price?
ski holidays
@Roscoe, I don't know anything better than the standard web advance purchase deal, though someone else might.

We will be there the same time, look out for me with my (admittedly subtle) Snowhead stickers.
latest report
j b wrote:
@Roscoe, I don't know anything better than the standard web advance purchase deal, though someone else might.

We will be there the same time, look out for me with my (admittedly subtle) Snowhead stickers.

Thanks @j b Will defo look out for you! Fingers crossed for some more snow!
snow report
Modest snow in the village today, enough to settle at Gorge https://www.lescontamines.net/webcam-138.html but looks to be a bit wet in the centre of the village, so looks like the freeze level is pretty much at the mid point around Hameau.

Spotted this morning that the Coupe D'Europe de Ski Cross scheduled for 17th and 18th March has been cancelled despite still being 3 weeks out. Message from SECMH "Unfortunately, given the snow conditions, the #Skicross is cancelled.
(It takes a lot of snow to build the track)"
latest report
Wow @NoDosh, if the snow is settling at the bottom of Gorge (1000m?) that's pretty good.

I did spot that it did look like it was snowing on the StG live webcam at the top of the Croix chair today, but couldn't work out how much. Obviously every inch helps, but we could do with a couple of feet. Ideally before we come out at the end of the week!
latest report
I’m out Thursday evening, looking like Les Contimens for the 3 days
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy