Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado with kids (advice needed)

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going for a change from France this year and potentially pushing the boat out for a Colorado skip trip in Feb with a 3yr old and 6yr old.
We were looking at maybe combing Vail (4 nights) then Breckenridge (7 nights), but 4 nights in Vail seems to be about the same cost as 10 nights in Breck, so might scratch the 2 resort idea.

Both kids have have been to Reberty at 2000m each year with no probs but I am wondering if going straight to Breckenridge would be a struggle, so maybe thinking of a lower resort first or even just a night in Denver to help acclimatise.

It does look like the pass will cover days at other resorts if we choose Breckenridge as our base but I doubt we'd bother in case we would be clock watching about getting back for the kids.

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of info on the costs and classes for ski school, or much info on childcare.
So, I was wondering if anyone has been and give some advice on what sort of costs we'd be looking at for 10 half days ski school for the eldest and a mixture of some ski school and crèche for the youngest.
Also if there's much to do in Denver with young kids I feel we did do a night there.
Any tips or advice appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't say there was a lot to do in Denver, especially with youngsters. However, that might not be a big issue if all you're doing is staying somewhere after you've arrived late afternoon and intend just to get going in the daylight the next morning anyway. What I would consider is perhaps driving out of Devner towards Vail and staying somewhere en route instead. By the time you've driven into Denver etc. you'd be a fair way to the west of the city.

What I liked about Vail was that it was right beside the freeway, so there's no trek up a mountain road to get to it. I also liked the scale of the place: very open and lots of pleasant runs and not crowded. And of course, deep snow. The 'bowls' behind the resort are also an interesting type of skiing that intermediates can do.

The resort itself seemed pretty family-friendly and we eat most of the time in plainer 'family' places, ditto on-piste eating.

But it was the most expensive per head skiing we've done, and that includes Verbier in the New Year. Partly because we rented an apartment, which gave us lots of space to relax and would suit a family well. But my impression was that there were also a fair range of hotel packages available that seemed quite competitive. Ski hire and ski pass were pricey and like Verbier, we had to be careful to check restaurant prices in the town before we went in.

If my experience in Vail and Heavenly is anything to go by, the quality of instruction is very good. US resorts seem to offer a much more flexible range of options compared to France i.e. staff who like to instruct learners/intermediates and don't feel they're wasting their time on novices. Unlike France, in my experience.

Personally, it was only worth it because I was already in New York on business and so it was only a shortish hop to Denver for me. I already had the hire car collected and parked outside Arrivals when my wife arrived. She flew out of Heathrow and was shattered for the first 36 hours. It's also high (hence the good snow) so there's a possibility of altitude headaches for the first few days. I haven't gone back. However, I am sure that plenty of people will respond that they were fine, even with kids.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lift passes at Vail like all resorts here in the USA are very expensive. That said, Vail is a great family resort with a good variety of terrain. Beaver Creek is also nice, about 10 miles up the road. the bases or Vail/Breck/Beaver Creek do range from 2500-2750 meters so acclimatization can be an issue for some. Ski instruction is good. My wife took lessons at Chamonix/Verbier/Zermatt last season and her impression was that US resorts coddle students more than Europe. The USA lesson schedules seem a bit more flexible for groups, but private lessons are very expensive compared to Europe. She preferred the ski instruction in Europe, overall, except for Chamonix.
I'm less of a fan of Breckenridge because, similar to parts the 4 Valles, you spend a lot of time getting from one peak to the next.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ish303, that's a tough gig with a 3 & 6yo. What's the thinking, why do you need a change. I mean I guess what I am saying is are you sure you need the change. Because as you're questioning it's a long haul and relatively high altitude.

My missus has always been keen on us sleeping low even if we are skiing high. We've only skied in France with the kids. I've been a bit sceptical about the difference between say 2300m (Val T for eg) or even 1800m and 1450/1350m (where we usually stay) but I know myself when I stayed at Val T before having the kids I struggled a bit with sleeping. Kids I think suffer a little bit, especially younger ones. There are other plusses aswell.

Maybe you'd all appreciate it a little more in 2/3 years time. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaForet wrote:
I wouldn't say there was a lot to do in Denver, especially with youngsters.

There's the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. If your kids like Space and Dinosaurs (Colorado is a great place for digging up dinosaurs), then it will be right up their street (incidentally are there any kids who don't like Space and Dinosaurs? Laughing )

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-09-17 21:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look hard at Snowmass. If you fly into Pitkin you are 13 miles from Snowmass. The Vail transfer uses the dreaded I 70 and takes about 4 hours. Accommodation is often ski in ski out and substantially cheaper than Vail or Beaver. I would avoid staying at Breck as the risk of altitude sickness is very real.

Snowmass ia a family friendly resort with excellent kids ski schools. Check out Treehouse.

Unless things have changed the pass will cover Buttermilk Highlands and Aspen with free skibus connections.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a family trip with children, not a ski trip for adults. Big difference. I'll say it as no one else has. Hello...............

Assuming you arrive on that direct BA flight from LHR to DIA which gets into DIA in the late afternoon, you'll be wiped out by the time the wheels touch down. After all, you were in transit at least five hours prior to wheels up, right? Of course. So, smart money sez get your rental car - I suggest if only for the sake of room an SUV, and, of course, be certain to make that, reserve that with child safety seats as same ARE required by law (!!!!!!) and drive the simple five minutes from the aeropuerto to your reserved DIA hotel room (exit - on Tower Road) for the night, check in, decompress, then get some food at one of the conveniently located nearby restaurants and call it a night. The next A.M., after a needful good night's sleep, a great shower and an all-American breakfast, again at one of the nearby restaurants- kids love pancakes, around 10:00 A.M. with most of the maniacal Colorado drivers off the roads and at work then casually, safely make your way up to the mountains via I-70 outbound to the location you have chosen.
And just where should you go? Good question. No one best place. But you did deftly refer to "costs" which is its own tell card. Hey, you're family, not some single individual living the jet set life, right? I think so. Am I correct? I think so.

Factoring many multiples into consideration, it's hard to not suggest that which is Summit County - Breckenridge et. al. I see that Vail/Beaver Creek has, of course been suggested. Quelle dommage. Know this and know this well............. Vail, as a corporation, and that is all that it is is its own leviathan/juggernaut. In other words it's a $$$$ monopoly and you did say "costs". And even if money is to be burned like no tomorrow, with even the children lighting "Churchill's" with $100 dollar bills, if not gold DuPont lighters, I'm inclined to still make a suggestion for B'ridge as central terminus as it were to work out of. For starters, it has all the goods for a solid vacation for everyone, be same walking around town, playing in the the snow, skiing, swimming, ice skating, etc. The ski school and/or day care will NOT cost you a minimum of $250.00 per day per child as IS the case with Vail. By the way, did THAT get your attention? And at day's end when it comes time to eat, you can actually find pedestrian restaurants in B'Ridge - or down the road 10 minutes away in Frisco/Dillion that do not charge $30.00 plus for a "kids meal". Whiskey tango foxtrot? Oh ya. Welcome to Vail.
B'ridge is its own self-contained town and an easy place to work out of. And if you want to mix it up as it were, you have Copper Mountain and Keystone equally about 15 minutes away. But here is one huge big tip................ One hour away and a rather pastoral drive at that via I-70 then to Hwy 91, THEN to Hwy 24........, DO NOT take I-70 to Hwy 24 at Minturn......, big mistake!!!!!) you ultimately have SKI COOPER. Not Copper Mountain, SKI COOPER. This is a secret facility as it were I rarely reveal.

Ski Cooper is a most unassuming, altogether simple, uncrowded ski station. It's BASE elevation is at 10,400' It "only" has 1,200 vertical. But................ It is, hands down one of the most gorgeous places in the state and it is dirt cheap. The kids ski free. An adult ticket is about $50.00 The ski school is one of the best in the nation for children, period. Period. The terrain for the kids is beyond perfect. And for the adult, go to the top and your jaw will drop. You also have both front and backside to choose from with terrain that while not big will put a smile on your face, especially midweek when few are there. You'll see if you take my advice. I do not tell this to most people, but I am in your case. Take my advice. You can not do better. Leadville, the closet town is nothing to write home about. It's a town that is an old mining town and at day's end, before you return to B'ridge, you can go into town on main street, or just before same at the Safeway grocery store on your right and get something to hold you over for dinner then take that pastoral drive back to the hotel..............

I see little, in fact no benefit in some uber mountain when it comes to kids. Such facilities are, in all candor, too much - too overwhelming for the child just in terrain alone and, as remarked at no small expense. If you want, as others who are notoriously single and sans le petite have or will suggest go for it. Knock yourselves out. Go to a Vail/Beaver Creek where the Cristal and Bollinger flow like.................., Cristal and Bollinger............ Personally, I prefer Pol Roger for breakfast, but that's another story. Or, come out to my neck of the woods. I'm in Snowmass come winter time and the circus that is Aspen & Co, which includes Ajax, Buttermilk and Highlands, as well my beloved Burn, while honestly too much for the dust bin lids will be more than happy to relieve you of your discretionary income. You make the call. It's your prerogative. But it is, as stated, a family vacation and so much about the children, making life long memories.

One last point or more. Go with a solid car rental operation, not some obscure company. I suggest the SUV - WITH snow tires if available and required child safety seats - as an SUV has room for all your Bedouin accoutrement. And get this.............. Make certain that they have filled the windshield fluid repository with -20F winter "wash" and, once on the road at one of the first stops you make, at a gas station, pick up one or two gallons of the winter -20F "wash" which goes for about $2.00 per gallon bottle which they always have a ton of. How utterly cheap is that? Given Colorado's roads and all the magnesium-chloride and traction grit (muck) they lay down with impunity, even "nice sunny" days beg for ample dosage of that stuff. Be sure to get the winter, not summer "wash" which is rated to +20F and freezes in the vehicle conduit.
And on your day of return give yourself extra ample time to arrive ahead of time at DIA. First............, Denver metropolitan traffic can become really stupid. As in stupid and clogged. And DIA is not renowned for being expedient.
Oh, and on any significant descent, especially via Eisenhower tunnel, worse still, Vail Pass heading west (why would you be there?)................. Be smart, gear down, go slower than you think you should. Colorado drivers are aforementioned maniacs and above all, make certain your entrance and exit into my nation is NOT on a weekend, only midweek. I-70 on a weekend is a 100 plus mile long parking lot.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-09-17 14:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So here's another suggestion from left field. How about staying at a family-oriented Swiss thermal resort and mixing wellness with swimming, sightseeing and some skiing? I'm not talking about the hyper-luxury places like Leukerbad or Gstaad but family-holiday type places like Ovronnaz (http://www.ovronnaz.ch/en/) or the Bains de Saillon (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/)? It should cost less and while your Colorado-bound selves are still over the Atlantic, your Swiss selves will be playing with the kids in the outdoor thermal pool surrounded by the mountains, with everything organised for their ski lessons the next morning.

This isn't to diss Colorado. We loved Vail. But as mentioned, you might find it more rewarding when the kids are older ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Precisely why Colorado, out of all the other North American resorts?

I'm with most others here. I went to Banff three times and adored it (friendly people and queues, quality of tuition, big hotel rooms etc). But when my two girls were born, I took them 4-5 times to European resorts, got them skiing quite well, THEN took them to Canada when they were old enough to really appreciate it (7 and 10, pretty much). I really wouldn't think paying all that money for plane tickets, just to have kids grouch at you due to vicious jet lag, was value for money; at least for me.

As they say - YMMV Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the responses all, in terms of why Colorado, we've skid a good amount in Switzerland (albeit not the resorts mentioned above) and France with the last 4 years in Reberty due to the good set up for the kids.
Pre kids we did Vail and Aspen and they were both amazing, the back bowls in Vail and Highland bowl in Aspen were amazing so we've always been discussing and hankering to go back. Although we are under no illusions that with kids it's going to be a very different holiday!!

Also, the prices in France this year seem strong, some initial surfing for flights and accommodation in the US seemed do able. So this, coupled with a big birthday made us think about doing it, as we've been pretty powder starved in the last few years!

After some more looking though it's the extras that look like it might sway the decision, i.e. Lessons for the kids at £158 per day 😳, crèche at $138 per day 😳 and hefty lift pass prices too 🙁

I might look at some of these other places mentioned to see what they look like is but we do need a kid friendly set up and more convenience than if we were sans kids.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ish303 and fellow Maidonian, listen wisely to the words of @arcsinice - for truly (s)he has much to share.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great thread with some sound advice! Ski Cooper sounds great and as a 3 day mountain works though I could see it getting a little stale any longer. If you were planning a 10 day trip with kids and wanted to avoid the mega-resorts, what other hidden gems would people suggest?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why not try Austria? It offers massively friendlier people than France, prettier villages by far and it's so much easier not to say cheaper than taking 2 kids who really would not appreciate the US experience going all that way. There are masses of children friendly resorts, tuition is second to none. The skiing is also far more varied though the snow quality may not be up to Colorado standards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buying individual daily passes is very expensive but there are options. These will go up in price and will not be available after the season starts:

Some ski passes to consider for Vail, Breck, Keystone, Beaver Creek and Park City, Utah:
https://www.epicpass.com/pass-results/passes.aspx
Or this for Winter Park, Copper and Steamboat:
https://www.skicolorado.com/#pass-details

Breck's ski area is the highest starting at over 3,000 meters so sleeping might be an issue. The Imperial lift goes up to 3,913 meters. Steamboat and Park City are much lower with the rest in between.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When in February? Mid February has President’s Day (always a Monday). This is the busiest weekend of the year at US ski resorts., and the week before and after are not great either, but much better than the 3 day weekend itself.

Are you sure you want those two resorts?

Others are cheaper.

Kids often ski free.
Kid’s lessons are very expensive, but usually prices include a lift ticket for the day(even after lessons end). Most places won’t do ski lessons before 3 or 4, check the resort’s webpage to make sure.

As far as car seats, I don’t recommend renting them from the car rental place. They want like $20/day for a booster seat you can buy for $15 at Target. Buy one yourself.

Our first ski trip was with a 1.5 year old and 4.5 year old to Copper Mountain(not Cooper, confusing!). Base elevation there is also 3000m, but no real problems for us, other than walking up the stairs!

For Copper Mountain, staying in Dillon is very doable.
On the other hand, with tiny kids, paying up for ski-in-ski-out might be worth it, to swap child care duties and skiing.

passes:

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/ikon-base-pass
Has a lot in Colorado too. Prices have gone up by now, but still better than a couple of 4 packs.
https://mountaincollective.com/?utm_source=Booyah&utm_medium=GoogleAdwords&utm_campaign=PaidSearch&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyouuqdzb3QIVD57ACh0U3wyxEAAYASAAEgJXk_D_BwE
Might work too.
ski holidays
@ish303, we skied in a wide range of resorts, including Breckenridge and Vail, on both sides of the Atlantic when our kids were young.

Ignore people who say the journey is too long for
a week on North America. It isn't. And ignore anyone who says Europe is cheaper. It isn't once you include discounts - no-one but a fool pays the brochure price in the States.

American and Canadian ski school is in a different league from Europe. Class sizes are smaller and the model is completely different, with lessons being available by the day rather than the week.

But I wouldn't take a young family to Vail or Breckenridge. The best places for young kids are small and personal. Helpfully, they're usually also much cheaper.

Our best experiences with kids were in Panorama, Jackson Hole and Big Sky. Any of these would suit you, as would many other lesser known names. Look for discounts. Look for kids-ski-free deals. Look for kids-stay-and-eat-free deals. We didn't start paying for our kids until they were in their mid teens.

For a perfect family ski trip, stay slopeside somewhere like Panorama in Canada. Put the kids into school two days out of three, and enjoy fabulous family time on the other days. Take them home to the hotel for lunch if they're tired. Swim with them in the outdoor pool when they're skied out. And slump in a comfortable condo in the evening and watch trashy American cartoons over a hot chocolate with them when the day is done. Life doesn't get much better than that. So much better than a cramped French chalet.
snow report
Snowmass is definitely more kid friendly than Vail and Breck. Breck as others have said is a really bad idea as it is over 9000 ft so altitude sickness is a real danger.

On the same liftpass is the beginners resort of Buttermilk. There is a free skibus and it is about 20 mins from Snowmass but there is plenty for beginners at Snowmass.

The kids ski school at Snowmass gets excellent reviews. Not cheap though. https://www.gosnowmass.com/things-to-do/parent-info/kids-ski-board-classes/
snow report
Quote:

And ignore anyone who says Europe is cheaper. It isn't once you include discounts - no-one but a fool pays the brochure price in the States.

N America can be done on the cheap but I seriously doubt if you are including flights a week can work out cheaper than Europe. Better value I could believe, but cheaper no way.

While rental car and basing at somewhere like Dillon is often best (and cheapest) for Colorado it's not the best for with kids. With kids ski in/out, or at least staying within walking distance from lifts is beneficial.

Yes Vail and aspen are both great resorts, but I wouldn't limit yourself to Colorado. Plenty of other great (arguably even better) resorts in North America. If worried about money Canada exchange rate is more favourable. You need to be getting lift passes now for deals, paying once you get there costs will be crazy.

Quote:

wondering if going straight to Breckenridge would be a struggle, so maybe thinking of a lower resort first or even just a night in Denver to help acclimatise.

Kids are at no more risk from altitude than adults. Denver is too low to acclimatise for Breckenridge, however long you stay. Going from Denver to Breckenridge you might get some altitude symptoms (headaches, loss of appetite, poor sleep) for the first couple of days.
ski holidays
arcsinice,

Very comprehensive post and a good read. Very Happy
snow report
FrediKanoute,

We tried Loveland last season (after driving past it umpteen times over the years) and loved it!

It had a good selection of runs - with some nice groomers as well as ferocious steeps. Oh - and not forgetting the $40 lift pass! (We bought our lift tickets on line before the end of November, as a "4Pak." ie 4 individual (and shareable) day tickets for $160). Very Happy Very Happy

For Loveland we stayed in nearby Georgetown, which has some nice, budget hotels.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

And ignore anyone who says Europe is cheaper. It isn't once you include discounts - no-one but a fool pays the brochure price in the States.

N America can be done on the cheap but I seriously doubt if you are including flights a week can work out cheaper than Europe. Better value I could believe, but cheaper no way.

Based on 9 trips to NA with three kids in tow and a similar number of European trips, it's absolutely true if you're travelling in school holidays. In low season, Europe can be cheaper.

Some North American resorts have breathtakingly cheap accommodation. You rarely pay for lift passes for kids over there and, in school hols, flights are typically the same price as to the Alps. Car hire is usually cheaper than a European transfer, too. Overall, it's certainly possible to save money.

Last time we went to Jackson, I tried a travel agent for comparatives. I still remember the immediate response - 'there is no way I can get you a skiing trip to the Alps including lift passes for that price, so I won't bother looking.'
snow conditions
Another one year old post bumped by the same user who bumped another year old thread, both about Colorado.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Another one year old post bumped by the same user who bumped another year old thread, both about Colorado.

Didn't spot that.

#duped
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy