Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks Autumn Technical Course?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of doing a Snoworks Autumn Technical Course?

Has anyone had any experience of these type of courses on the Tignes glacier.

I have already taken part in quite a few of their Backcountry and Backcountry Access courses which I have greatly enjoyed .... but these felt more like guiding than teaching, not that I am complaining at all.

I am no spring chicken [58] so I am aware that I have lived though many fashions in skiing styles so have the difficult task of both learning new stuff and un-learning old stuff. This has lead to a somewhat schizophrenic style of skiing that I would dearly like to tidy up.

I am reasonably happy in most circumstances [powder/trees/steeps/moguls/skinning] and have skied all over the place since 1986, from Japan to Canada to most of Europe.

I am more 'capable' than 'expert', if that makes any sense? Quite often my enthusiasm will make up for my lack of technique.

I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but has anyone been in roughly my situation and gained from one of these technical courses?

Previous lessons on-piste seem to have been totally weighted towards carving .... a technique which is likely to get you killed off-piste.

I am most interested in improving my balance and position and ironing out any bad habits.

It would be my first experience going to a resort simply to learn rather than have a ski holiday .......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No direct experience but as one of the best outfits out there who you've used before what specific concerns do you have?

I'd have thought an autumn technical would be ideal for tuning up. Only thing I'd identify from your post is go in with an open mind. All good instruction is aimed at you building a toolkit of skills and self diagnosis you can use anywhere. There's not really such a thing as piste skiing or off piste skiing technically. It's all just skiing and you blend different elements according to conditions and what outcomes you want.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a summer ski course with Snoworks in Tignes. You’ll have a blast.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ Dave of the Marmottes
It's not really that I have 'concerns'. I am more seeking reassurance that it would be an efficient use of time and money for someone in my circumstances.
In all the groups I join I always feel slightly inadequate. I don't hold anyone else up but just feel most other people's technique is better than mine. I never feel like I properly complete my turns and my transition to the next turn is poor and inefficient [an Italian instructor once told me that this is the most difficult thing to learn].
If you are up to your waist in Japanese powder or flying through the trees in St Foy you are less likely to be concentrating on the minutiae of technique and more trying to stay upright whilst whooping with joy. I could be skiing so much better.
I am just wondering if spending time on a limited glacier doing drills will help?
I kinda know it will but I could do with some reassurance ...... Madeye-Smiley

@Themasterpiece. Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FoofyNoo wrote:
@ Dave of the Marmottes
It's not really that I have 'concerns'. I am more seeking reassurance that it would be an efficient use of time and money for someone in my circumstances.
In all the groups I join I always feel slightly inadequate. I don't hold anyone else up but just feel most other people's technique is better than mine. I never feel like I properly complete my turns and my transition to the next turn is poor and inefficient [an Italian instructor once told me that this is the most difficult thing to learn].
If you are up to your waist in Japanese powder or flying through the trees in St Foy you are less likely to be concentrating on the minutiae of technique and more trying to stay upright whilst whooping with joy. I could be skiing so much better.
I am just wondering if spending time on a limited glacier doing drills will help?
I kinda know it will but I could do with some reassurance ...... Madeye-Smiley

@Themasterpiece. Thanks
Everyone feels inadequate in that time of the year on the glaciers as there are usually some national teams around, occasionally the A team, in addition to hundreds of kiddie racers. Average standard of skiing is therefore incredibly high. But it's also a bit inspiring to see such good skiers up close. As for Snoworks, it's the same team of instructors so you'll be used to their style. The constraints on the available terrain mean the course is a bit different to what you can do during the main season, but at the end of the day skiing is skiing. I'm unsure why you think working on developing your skiing skills might not help?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve been out with Snoworks in November a couple of times. They’re really good courses. You will probably have skied with the instructors on your previous trips, but these weeks are very much focused on technique. The weeks I went there were a pretty broad range of abilities, but the groups were very well matched. The Snoworks guys are a really nurturing bunch, so don’t worry about that! In the autumn you get nearly a full days instruction, compared to the half day in the winter. There’s only a limited area open, but you should at least be able to ski down to Le Lac and if you go the opening weekend there should be a lot more terrain open. It’s different to a ski holiday in peak season, everyone’s there because they love their skiing and they want to get a bit better. There are some seriously inspirational skiers around too. Last time I went we were skiing next to the Canadian mogul team, so every now and again we would just stop and stare in awe!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy