Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Easter 2019

Poster: A snowHead
I am on the verge of booking a trip for the second week of Easter school holidays (going out on the 13th April) to Mayrhofen. Searching on here looks like it should be a relatively good shout for That time of year (we already have flights to Salzburg we can take any time in April).

Obviously there is no crystal ball but on the whole is it a reasonably safe shout?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm getting a little concerned that in trying to get ski hire prices for my youngest and all the shops I have tried so far are closing on the 14th April.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as all flights aren't grounded you should be fine. If nothing else the glacier will be open. Looks like the main ski areas are planning to remain open until 22nd April, same as here. Hopefully the weather plays along with that!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is the glacier like? How much actual skiing is on it?

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BTW Happy Birthday! Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, I've never been up there. Definitely on my to do list. It's open year round, up to 60km of pistes. Around 60% of that is open today!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:
@NickyJ, I've never been up there. Definitely on my to do list. It's open year round, up to 60km of pistes. Around 60% of that is open today!

Excellent. Mayrhofen is where I skied for the very first time as a child but that was as a beginner and we had beginner lessons on the Ahorn so don’t know what the main skiing is liked, but it certainly started my life long love of skiing Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So the lifts opening dates are caveated by May close early blah de blah. How likely is that to happen? Especially give there is the glacier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, I would expect Mayrhofen to be very typical “spring” skiing.....likely warm afternoon slush by then. However you can never predict the weather gods!

The glacier area will be great though. It is 30 mins drive from Mayrhofen btw.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Snowbombing snowboard week is usually around 4th + of April so there should still be reasonable snow, if 'spring' conditions. I've been at the end of March to 1st week in April and conditions were well useable in all the areas, in an average snow year.
The glacier (Hintertux) should be fine at the very least. Some long enough wide reds near the top, gondola served, and further short straight pistes right at the top with drag lifts. Lower stuff also, not sure how good nick that'll be in, but probably will be OK - basically quite enough to go at.
There's usually a free ski bus and also a pay bus from central Mayrhofen to Hintertux, but I don't know how late into the season they run. The pay one possibly all year as the glacier is popular for walking I think. Maybe check with the tourist office or Google?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1, thanks hadn’t appreciated that.

@Grizzler, thanks as well.

We could go the week before but was liking the idea of it being quieter going after the snow bombing. Plan is to hire a car at the airport so we will be mobile? I presume plenty of parking at Hintertux?

The advantage of going the week later is only 4 days leave needed due to Good Friday and accommodation is significantly cheaper. This is a second Week for us so needing to keep the costs down.

There is a little part of me that wonders if we should book St Anton but that is going well over the 3hrs drive which hubby is very reluctant to do and I am keen to go back to the Mayrhofen as an adult.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, yes parking very easy at a Hintertux. Right next to the lift.

If we are skiing that late in the season we always expect heavy conditions. It doesn’t seem to matter where you go except those very high French resorts. Hintertux will be amazing though.

Mayrhofen and other Zillertal villages will be quiet. To be honest even during snow bombing the slopes are quiet. The festival goers don’t get out of bed until lunch and then mostly head to the board park area where there are some acts on in the afternoon. Choose accommodation away from the high street.

A couple of years a go we were there during Snowbombing and as we had a car we took day trips to Zell, Hintertux and Fügen and then spent the rest of the time skiing in Mayrhofen. Was a great trip with lots of sun and plenty of Aperol or “Hugo” drinks in the sun Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For hire, try Ian Kilgour (Sport 2000) right across the road from the Penken gondola.

As for the snow, it's late so will be a bit of a lottery, however we have had plenty powder days there at that time of the year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know what you want from a holiday, but there are many hotels and guesthouses up at Tux and various places in between Hintertux and Mayrhofen itself, from the fairly isolated to smaller towns with a small supermarket and few eateries (Finkenberg springs to mind, on the bus route and at the bottom of its own gondola - with links to Rastkogel and Penken - if still open when you're there). If you have a car these could be good options if you'll be spending most days on the glacier.

This is one of my plans as and when I manage to find the time to get back to Hintertux once the Mayrhofen crowds have gone. Like the place, but don't want to cope with the on-piste idiots again. A week at the top of the glacier in late April/May has great appeal Very Happy I was told when last there that I could do it without a car, but of course it probably makes your options much easier ( tbh I hadn't though of the car option: thanks for planting it).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Decided to go for it. All booked, fingers crossed for a good end of season but if not will drive over to the glacier.
latest report
Went to Hintertux quite a few years ago - some glaciers can be a little ‘boring’ , not Hintertux, good variety of terrain.
ski holidays
I’ve booked already for Snowbombing 2019 looking forward to it, going it as a solo bomber so if anyone is out there and wants to make friends or has any shouts of good places to meet people lmk. Hope everyone has sound times on there adventures
latest report
@Adzskate, me and the mrs are going. Cant wait.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
What is the glacier like? How much actual skiing is on it?

Thanks

A reasonable amount. Went there for a day this year when in Mayrhofen. Not sure I'd want to do more than a couple of days. Lifts pretty good - some T bars on the actual glacier surface itself.
latest report
@Adzskate, I'm going to Snowbombing as a solo traveler as well. Are you still interested in meeting up?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy