Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughter's 1st week - lift pass question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm hoping to take my 7 year old daughter for her 1st time skiing, for a week at the start of April.

Obviously I'll be booking group lessons for her - but my question is around whether she needs a 6 day lift pass?

Or will she spend most of the first few days on (free) nursery slopes and I'm better off just buying locally for a few days if she progresses to proper runs later in the week.

Anyone been in a similar position?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talk to the ski school. They'll know where they take first week kids. No need to buy in advance anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Talk to the ski school. They'll know where they take first week kids. No need to buy in advance anyway.

Thank you - I was hoping to book all together through Crystal, and tried to ask the question on the online chat but they didn't understand what I was asking
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ski school should advise on whether you need a pass or not, best to check their website and see what it says for the beginners groups. Normally for a complete beginner she'll be on the the school's nursery slopes so won't need one but may obviously need one for the latter part of the week if they go on the slopes, the instructor will advise. It obviously varies from resort to resort hence why a check on the specific schools website would be best course of action. Where are you going? My kids learnt in Cham with Evo 2 and didn't need one until their second year and that was only the local pass as opposed to the Unlimited (although they had the unlimited to get the inclusive Luge rides).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobH2017 wrote:
The ski school should advise on whether you need a pass or not, best to check their website and see what it says for the beginners groups. Normally for a complete beginner she'll be on the the school's nursery slopes so won't need one but may obviously need one for the latter part of the week if they go on the slopes, the instructor will advise. It obviously varies from resort to resort hence why a check on the specific schools website would be best course of action. Where are you going? My kids learnt in Cham with Evo 2 and didn't need one until their second year and that was only the local pass as opposed to the Unlimited (although they had the unlimited to get the inclusive Luge rides).

Cheers Rob - I'm looking at La Plagne, figured that's a decent option for early April. Relatively high up and enough to keep us occupied off the slopes as well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rutlandchris, my 4yo went up the lifts second half of the week (that's with us not ski school). I would be very surprised if a 7yo isn't using lifts requiring a pass by day 2. Kids progress real quick and the free lifts are very limited.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@rutlandchris, my 4yo went up the lifts second half of the week (that's with us not ski school). I would be very surprised if a 7yo isn't using lifts requiring a pass by day 2. Kids progress real quick and the free lifts are very limited.

Excellent - thanks Happy No idea what to expect really so think I'll just sort a lift pass out. Some great 'package' deals direct with ski school including equipment, pass and lessons etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depends if she takes to it like a duck to water or bambi on ice Embarassed Twisted Evil

Could always hit the dry or indoor slopes to nail the basics down?

Seems ESF do a pack that includes a lift pass for la plagne
https://www.ski-school-laplagne.co.uk/enfants/special-debutant
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr.Egg wrote:
depends if she takes to it like a duck to water or bambi on ice Embarassed Twisted Evil

Could always hit the dry or indoor slopes to nail the basics down?

Seems ESF do a pack that includes a lift pass for la plagne
https://www.ski-school-laplagne.co.uk/enfants/special-debutant

Yes planning to go to MK snowdome beforehand and try and get a bit of a headstart. The ESF pack was the one I'd seen and looks very good value
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rutlandchris wrote:
Yes planning to go to MK snowdome beforehand and try and get a bit of a headstart. The ESF pack was the one I'd seen and looks very good value

Mmmm... ESF have a very variable reputation round here. There are some very good ski schools in La Plagne. If I remember correctly Oxygene comes recommended.

Getting good tuition is one of the critical success factors of your holiday - if not the #1. Don't save a few bob and have the risk. If you search on here for "oxygene" it should throw up some anectodatal info.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rutlandchris, "La Plagne" is spread out over 11(?) villages. If looking at other ski schools first check out if they operate near where you will be staying. Oxygene for example is fine if at Belle Plagne or Plagne Centre. From Plagne 1800 or Bellecote a beginner would need the free ski bus to Plagne Centre - which is okay but takes extra time before / after lessons. From say Montchavin / Les Coches / Champagny it is impossible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
rutlandchris wrote:

Mmmm... ESF have a very variable reputation round here. There are some very good ski schools in La Plagne. If I remember correctly Oxygene comes recommended.

Getting good tuition is one of the critical success factors of your holiday - if not the #1. Don't save a few bob and have the risk. If you search on here for "oxygene" it should throw up some anectodatal info.

Thank you - I'll look up Oxygene
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ecureuil wrote:
@rutlandchris, "La Plagne" is spread out over 11(?) villages. If looking at other ski schools first check out if they operate near where you will be staying. Oxygene for example is fine if at Belle Plagne or Plagne Centre. From Plagne 1800 or Bellecote a beginner would need the free ski bus to Plagne Centre - which is okay but takes extra time before / after lessons. From say Montchavin / Les Coches / Champagny it is impossible.

Really helpful - that has been something to factor in. For this first holiday we need to walk to ski school first couple of days at least!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rutlandchris, if you're booking 'all in' with Crystal then it's highly unlikely that they'll be organising lessons to start beyond the village you're in. E.g if you're in Belle Plagne then lessons will start there, if you're in 1800 then that's where to go for lessons.

On a separate note, if accomodation is in one of the lower villages (such as Montchavin or Montalbert) then it may be getting a little slushy towards the end of the day in April, so may not be a 'ski in' situation for tired legs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for everyone for their input - really appreciated.

Booked Alpe D’Huez - a resort I’ve been to before and ticks all boxes for ski school, accommodation close to slopes and got 30% off lift pass which was a great saving.
latest report
@rutlandchris, Cool ADH is a great ski area. We've been there several times with ours.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy