Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any predictions for the Men's slalom?

Poster: A snowHead
Benni Raich is the first Slalom skier in an Olympic event to ski the fastest in both runs.

Winning all three medals has just pushed Austria's medal count to 22 which may be their best Olympic result ever!

(1992 ALBERTVILLE, 6 Gold, 7 Silver, 8 Bronze 21 total comparing to 9 Gold, 7 Silver, 6 Bronze 22 total in 2006)

It's certainly Austria's Alpine ski Team best Olympic result with 4 Gold, 5 Silver and 5 Bronze.

Year, LAND GOLD SILBER BRONZE Total
1924 Chamonix: - - - -
1928 St. Moritz: - - - -
1932 Lake Placid: - - - -
1936 Garmisch: - - - -
1948 St. Moritz: 1 2 3 6
1952 Oslo: 2 3 2 7
1956 Cortina d`Ampezzo 3 3 3 9
1960 Squaw Valley: 1 2 2 5
1964 Innsbruck: 3 2 2 7
1968 Grenoble: 1 1 3 5
1972 Sapporo: - 2 2 4
1976 Innsbruck: 1 1 - 2
1980 Lake Placid: 2 1 1 4
1984 Sarajewo: - - 1 1
1988 Calgary: 3 3 - 6
1992 Albertville: 3 2 3 8
1994 Lillehammer: 1 1 1 3
1998 Nagano: 3 4 4 11
2002 Salt Lake City 2 2 5 9
2006 Turin 4 5 5 14

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 25-02-06 19:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But if you do not think that you have straddled you can carry on - fines only come in to play when it is an obvious straddle. Kalle did not think that he had straddled.

Alain and Noel happy but ....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Kalle did not think that he had straddled.

RacerReady, you reckon? I thought his face told a different story for a man in the finish area with almost half a second's lead and a 'guaranteed' silver...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RacerReady, he finished with green -0.47 I think?. What was Reich's finishing time compartaively speaking?. Would he have got the gold ( I do not think so ) if he had not straddled the gate?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, I agree, he looked to me as though he knew he had really. Pity as it was a tremendous run and he deserves it. Anyway, marvellous result, marvellous skiing, my favourite won and my second favourite third. Who thinks slalom's boring now???? Very good ski from Alain, looking close to his best today. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RacerReady wrote:
Kalle did not think that he had straddled.

I am afraid that I do not agree that he did not know - it was so obvious, I think that he just wanted to finish to test his time against the others.

PS - did'nt the first Japanese guy ( Kyusu )( spel? ) do well!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 25-02-06 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hibernia wrote:
RacerReady, he finished with green -0.47 I think?. What was Reich's finishing time compartaively speaking?. Would he have got the gold ( I do not think so ) if he had not straddled the gate?

In theory no because Raich's time was miles better. But then again, with that extra pressure from a good run from Pallender, perhaps Benni might have made that crucial mistake...

...but I doubt it. With medals already won, Raich looked a relaxed man today.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 26-02-06 6:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, it was tremendous to watch, Bennie Raich really desereved his win, you're right it did look as if alain baxter is getting his confidence back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, thanks for that. The first run obviously sealed it.

Yes it WAS exciting!

( and congrats to the Baxters on excellent efforts )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes I thought that Raich was the one skier in the whole race that didn't look close to making a mistake, and almost looked as if he was taking it easy on the first run.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beeb have just finished interviewing baxter who seemed very relaxed and quite chatty. Dont know if they have it up on the website or not but its worth watching.

No-one had told him the rugby result which brought a smile to his face...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But the most spectacular run was the 2nd by Marc Berthod.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Write-up of the last Alpine event of the Games from Neil of Racer-Ready & MySnowSports....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Woah! Just finished watching the slalom (Don't know what I'd so without Eurosport & Sky+ !)
I know the Austrians get some stick (As do any team/nation that dominate a sport) but it was good to see the clean sweep.
By the way, Nick F was saying that Herbst was the "Bad boy of the Austrian team" (Not been a world cup regular has he ?) What's he been up to ??

Great finale to a great fortnight, thoroughly enjoyed it all
ski holidays
I caught the second run today, and particularly liked the guys at the beginning who were having to go all out to try and make up time, seeing them all getting thrown off their skis really showed just quite how tough it was.

I do feel that because it's such a technical discipline, you have to know a bit about skiing to be able to appreciate it, and appreciate how well they are skiing it, whereas something a bit more spectacular like the downhill and the bobsleigh is probably a bit more accessible.

Well done to the Austrians though, and especially Beni Raich on his double.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
it looks too easy.
Looked a doddle last night, didn't it.
latest report
PG, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Beautiful turns though, especially through the second verticale near the bottom.

I guess that part of the skill of Beni Raich is that you watch him make it look so easy, that it makes you think that perhaps you could do it yourself. Shocked Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
Benni is a beautiful skier, and congrats to him.
Perhaps now that he has a couple of golds from these Games, maybe he might make that generous gesture that he once talked about, and hand over "his" bronze from 2002 to the man who deserved it - and should have won it, but for faulty IOC testing (inability to distinguish between lev-methamphetamine and dextro-methamphetamine...)
snow report
Martin Bell, perhaps we could statrt a petition to that effect and send it on? A thread here on snowHeads with each positive post counting as a signature?
ski holidays
It wasn't Benni's decision and it's not his job to award medals is it? Would it be official even if he did?
Shoudln't the pressure should be put onto the people with faulty tests?

Quote:
An intriguing postscript to Baxter's Salt Lake nightmare occurred a year later, at the world championships in St Moritz. Baxter's mother, Sue, travelled to support her son, setting up camp on a hill, surrounded by friends with Scottish flags and banners. A girl approached them, asking if they were Alain Baxter fans. And when she realised she was addressing his mother, she said: "I must introduce you to my mother. I'm Benjamin Raich's sister."

Benjamin Raich was the Austrian skier who finished fourth in Salt Lake and inherited Baxter's bronze medal. With her daughter translating, Raich's sister told Sue Baxter: "We're all so sorry. It's terrible what happened to Alain. Benjamin didn't want to take the medal at all.

"He knows that he didn't win it on the hill but the government put pressure on him to take it to improve the team's medal tally. We all thought Alain should have kept the medal."

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=219932006

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 27-02-06 7:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
Benni is a beautiful skier, and congrats to him.
Perhaps now that he has a couple of golds from these Games, maybe he might make that generous gesture that he once talked about, and hand over "his" bronze from 2002 to the man who deserved it - and should have won it, but for faulty IOC testing (inability to distinguish between lev-methamphetamine and dextro-methamphetamine...)

I was told that he did, almost immediately after the IOC gave it to him.
latest report
PG, I await the thread ..
snow conditions
Quote:

(inability to distinguish between lev-methamphetamine and dextro-methamphetamine...)

I'm surprised they are not using chiral chromatography to distinguish the two entantimers. The analytical technique has been around for years. Give it back Benni!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy