Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any predictions for the Men's slalom?

Poster: A snowHead
Rocca, Raich, Vidal, Kostelic, Palander, Schoenfelder, Pranger, Sasaki, Vogl, Ligety, Miller.....maybe Noel Baxter. Anything can happen in this race.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The combination of carving skis (which look like toys) and rapid gates (which don't really function as obstacles) makes slalom skiing a dull spectator sport nowadays.

I don't think it's a theatre of high athleticism anymore. I'm not saying it's easy - far from it - but it looks too easy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I agree. Slalom's for pufters anyway. I think they should go back to bamboo and and 205 cm skis. It was a beautiful race in the old days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just heard that Vidal's broken his arm in training - can anyone confirm ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch wrote:
I just heard that Vidal's broken his arm in training - can anyone confirm ?

Yes, the BBC said that he had, although free skiing rather than when training.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shame... I think its his birthday today too !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I don't think it's a theatre of high athleticism anymore. I'm not saying it's easy - far from it - but it looks too easy.

So... it's far from easy - but looks it. Therefore the peak of athleticism isn't required because it looks easy.

Yup. That's logical. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, Thats why it's know as the technical disipline, because it's easy. Guess i'll go and do my speed test tommorow. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG. It may shock you to know that my retired neighbour, whose personal approach to athleticism runs to a game of chess, reckons that snowboarding is the business. He's totally captivated by the Olympian snow surfers.

Ski racing? As I say, it needs to look far more edgy [sic].
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, I see what you're saying. When the short SL skis first came in, it was exciting because the top racers were all over the place, getting jetted out and flipped on to their backs. Now, they have all developed well-ingrained techniques for handling the new skis and it does look easy. Took years of training though, even for the best in the world.
Does your friend like halfpipe, boardercross (which the snowboarders don't make look easy) or parallel GS?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
PG. It may shock you to know that my retired neighbour, whose personal approach to athleticism runs to a game of chess, reckons that snowboarding is the business. He's totally captivated by the Olympian snow surfers.

Ski racing? As I say, it needs to look far more edgy [sic].

But you're not comparing like with like. Olympics snowboarding now has boarderX and parallel slalom. Both of these are equally exciting in skiing, but Bobby wouldn't know this because FIS in its wisdom has done all it can to slow the development of these disciplines, hence neither were in the Games. Anyway he's just showing bias - one board in chess, one in snowboarding...

Martin Bell - that assumes people remember the early days and can compare. I see a sport that suffers because people cannot distinguish what separates one racer from another in terms of technique to establish winning margins of hundredths of seconds, not because skiers don't ski 'on the edge', or don't fall over. Given the pressure from fellow competitors, enough of them crash out of slalom courses because they have to ski to the limit of their ability.

Bring in SkierX, parallel slalom as mainstream events, and the popularity of skiing as a spectator sport would soar.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 25-02-06 16:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mainstream event? Does this not open another can of worms or is the Men's Downhill Gold won by Antoine Deneriaz not as valuable as the same colour medal won by Tanja Frieden in the Womens Boardercross and so on....An Olympic medal is just as valuable in any race!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re JP. Gutted, destraught, poor guy. He is one of the nicest guys on the Slalom tour, a real nice guy. Not a nice birthday present. Todays slalom is without two of the nicest guys now: JP and Manni Pranger. Pranger did not make the Austrian team, Matt was selected instead (cos he skis on an Austrian ski instead of a German ski or am I being Super Sceptical? But you only have to look back to Peter Rzehek (Salomon) and winning the final training run at Wengen and being told that was not good enough in 2004!).

You train for four years to defend your title in what is your last season and then the day before you break you arm free skiing.... What could be worse?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, so you think it's easy? Why don't you come to the EOSB and we'll organise a race with Hannah for you. I'd like to see how you handle it. Have you ever hit a rapid gate? They bl**dy well hurt - not obstacles? What do you think they trip over? Have you ever actually tried to stand up on one of their pistes - I guarantee you couldn't even do that they're so icy - never mind do precision turns at high speed. BTW the slalomers still do around 40mph at least - not slow.

Jacques, that's a terrible attitude - these are the best technical skiers in the world, and with all the loonies going far too fast and dangerous everywhere, it's a sadness to find posters on a forum such as this who don't appreciate that good technique is what's valuable not blood and guts (usually someone else's). Twisted Evil

Slalom rules - by far the most interesting of the ski races to watch.
Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well it aint gonna be Rocca
snow report
Ligety's done a 'Bodie'.

Wonder if Bodie will do a Ligety?
snow conditions
Bode DNFed. Another straddle, not a great Games for him.
snow conditions
Mario Matt - what happened there? Didn't look like he was paying attention Puzzled
ski holidays
Moelgg out as well. The Italians are very quiet now!
ski holidays
Thaler out as well! More racers have failed to finish than make a time!
ski holidays
The Austrian Coach who set the course, obviously knows his stuff!

I can't believe how few are getting to the end of it.
latest report
Wonder how the lower order skiers will cope?
snow report
Nice to see Stenmark and Tomba watching the race together in the finish area. Two of the best!
snow conditions
Alain Baxter - good run, into 15th. Hope that's slayed a few Olympic demons for him. Good luck for run 2 Smile
ski holidays
Will somebody tell Graham Bell to shut up when the Brit guys are on Shocked Every time he says somebody is going well they straddle a gate and go out rolling eyes
Well done Alain Smile
ski holidays
Good run from Noel Baxter as well, into 28th. Hopefully he'll stay in the top 30 for a good start number in leg 2.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Oh did he ? Guess when Eurosport France just ran their adverts Mad
snow report
Taking the pish or what, they're playing the 'pacman dies' sound effect when someone skis out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigger chear for Miller than Rocca ... what do you make of that?
snow report
First run has finished, Alain Baxter in 20th, younger brother Noel in 29th. Both of them will start in the first group of racers in run 2, meaning a clean course. Hopefully both the Baxters will pick up a few places in the second run Smile
snow conditions
Shame for (Brit) Leuzinger, he was looking good, at least up with Baxter over the top section, maybe top 15.
snow conditions
RacerReady wrote:
bigger chear for Miller than Rocca ... what do you make of that?

Isn't that typical? At Val d'Isere Bode got the biggest cheer from the crowd, bigger than even the local racers.
ski holidays
and if you want to know what Alain, Noel and Leuzi said after the first run you had better subscribe..... he he he he (Yet more shamless plugging!)
ski holidays
Good finish by Berthod !
snow report
Well, the Power Team powers to a clean sweep. Raich, Herbst and Schoenfelder take top honours. Double Gold for Benni Raich - what a Games for him!
snow report
Alain Baxter currently 16th, Noel in 20th place. Good results for both of them if that's where they finish.
snow report
I quite fancy the Austrians to do well. Cool
snow conditions
Austria 1-2-3 and what skiing!!

Pallander was very unlucky in straddling the gate - what's this about him being fined for not stopping at that point?.

It certainly would be a massive shame if Team Austria were disqualified from the next games!>
ski holidays
hibernia wrote:
Pallander was very unlucky in straddling the gate - what's this about him being fined for not stopping at taht point?

If you straddle you're supposed to stop. If you don't (and the straddle was obvious) FIS can fine skiers.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, thanks Rob Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy