Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria help please

Poster: A snowHead
I’m hoping to tap in to some of the knowledge here as I’m trying to organize four days at the end of January somewhere not too far from Munich.
I’ve been organizing short breaks for years now and have great knowledge of Italy and France so fancy a change but have only ever been to St Anton and Mayrhofen in Austria.
As we are flying from Dublin we are very limited to airports so it’s Geneva, Bergamo or Munich with much better flight times to Bergamo and Munich.
There are usually 6-8 of us with a mix of skiers and boarders and we are all strong intermediate standard and are looking for accommodation that’s not a bus journey to the ski lifts. Access to the ski are and the quality are more important than apres ski but we all like a few beers too.
I’ve spent some time looking for accommodation in Ischgl, Saalbach and St Anton but so far no luck.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I often suggest Kitzbuhel on this forum but it might work for you. I've stayed in apartments in Jochberg which is up the road from Kitzbuhel. There's a decent selection of accommodation in Kitzbuhel too. I'm surprised about Ischgl, have you contacted the tourist office? In Austria they're often v helpful. I've used Homeaway and interhome to book ski accommodation without any issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@maddness, if you are determined to avoid a bus to the slopes then your options start to look a little limited. From Munich the obvious destination would be the Ski Welt, but buses are pretty much essential there except for Brixen as all of the lifts on the north side of the range are out of town.

For Saalbach/Hinterglemm you should be able to find something online at https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/MasterReq?AR=1&FL=100&LG=1&RA=2&AM=1&MB=0 but as always it depends on the dates - if you are trying to find a Friday to Monday option then it will be difficult as it wipes out two whole weeks of potential custom, so you’ll need to leave it late.

The buses in all resorts are regular, quick, and really not the hassle you probably think they are - they open up a huge number of other options
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@maddness, If you're looking at a four day stay then this website often has accommodation available for less than a week: https://www.tiscover.com/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kirchberg in tyrol is the other side of kitz mountain.
Can be a lot cheaper that kitz & you could always ski into Kitz for apres & catch a bus/taxi back... just dont leave your skis behind!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr wrote:
@maddness, if you are determined to avoid a bus to the slopes then your options start to look a little limited. From Munich the obvious destination would be the Ski Welt, but buses are pretty much essential there except for Brixen as all of the lifts on the north side of the range are out of town.

No need for a bus in Westendorf either
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the reply’s, I’ll have a good look at some of the suggestions.
I know booking a week is much easier but due to family commitments we always do four days and finding reasonable accommodation is always a challenge.
We have skied most of Italy and a lot of France and just fancy something different. I’m going for another four days in December with a different group to Champoluc which is perfect but not twice within a month.
Any other suggestions from Bergamo?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Hahnenkamm race is on 25th/26th/27th, so you may or may not want to avoid kitz area for that weekend. SKI welt would be a good bet, but if you want the best in Apres its got to be St Anton.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really want to go to St Anton as I was there 10 years ago and tore my ACL the first morning so didn’t really get to see much of it. Really finding it hard to get accommodation for anything remotely reasonable though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@maddness, I have seen some good prices via sunweb have you tried there?

Nb they include lift passes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@maddness, if you’re dead keen to go to st Anton again but not fussed about the apres try Stuben as a base. Quicker link to Zurs than those staying in St Anton. It is quiet at night though. Some funky looking apartments there close to the Hubertushof hotel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maddness wrote:
I really want to go to St Anton as I was there 10 years ago and tore my ACL the first morning so didn’t really get to see much of it. Really finding it hard to get accommodation for anything remotely reasonable though.

Good man!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As above, Westendorf would fit your requirements well. Quite close to Munich (a 2 hour train journey (2 changes) - Westendorf has its own station just outside of town, or quicker drive/taxi if traffic is OK - should be fine outside of peak Saturday hours). Ideally situated between Ski Welt and Kitzbuhel (the link to Kitz is a short bus - 5 min - that goes every few minutes. Not a hardship at all and the Ki-West run down to the bus is one of the best reds I know anywhere).

Huge area, with lots of reds and blues. Some more interesting blacks on the Kitz side. On the Ski Welt side, some criticise short runs, but these are really just the linking runs between areas - there are lots of really wonderful swoopy long runs down to the various resort levels. Local Westendorf area has some really fun long runs as well. Lots of excellent mountain huts, as long as you like the standard Austrian fare.

Most accommodation is within a couple of minutes walk of the lifts, and ski hire shops offer deposit at base of lift. No buses required. Hotel Garni Austria recommended (only does B&B, though). I have done a few short breaks here, without problem getting accommodation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maddness, I know it's not Austria but have you thought of somewhere completely different. We had an excellent 4 day trip to Zakopane earlier this year using an Irish airline to get there. Other areas to look at would be Slovakia (the Tatra again) or perhaps Slovinia (which was, once Austria).

As to flying to Bergamo. My climbing friends used to fly there to goto the Dolomites, but it always struck me as a long drive.

Do Lufthansa not do flights from Dublin to Innsbruck?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maddness wrote:

Generally most don't rent out for less than a week until just a few days beforehand otherwise a whole week is blocked for them.

Befriend a tea totaler, invite them on the trip and rent a van assigning them as driver. Offset rental & parking costs by staying in cheaper accomodation outside the resort. Decide on the resort last minute, follow the snow. Toofy Grin
snow report
No flights to Innsbruck from Dublin unfortunately.
I know what I’m looking for is difficult enough,I’ve been organizing trips for the last 15 years and have the same problems every year!
snow conditions
Don't really see any problems, Often do non-closest airports, and odd dates.
Just the logistics of munich to St Anton to fix really I guess. you should be able to find accomodation for 4-5 days, as its off peak at end of Dec. I'd just hire a couple of cars or an 8 seat minibus (8 will be the max on std license). The St Anton Website will help you search for accomodation, Might be easier to log a request on the websiyte, and see what comes back.

Zurich is mayne 25 mins closer if that helps atall.
snow conditions
We are looking for end of January for this trip. I’m not worried about getting to resort it’s just getting accommodation that’s not very expensive that’s much harder.
latest report
If you want to go to the Arlberg then Zürich is better than Munich, I am sure there are direct flights from Dublin? Accommodation at a reasonable price can be difficult to secure in St Anton especially for a group looking for less than a week, though late January should be possible. Some of the villages like Pettneu might be a better option (I seem to remember coming across a new hostel hotel which was good value) which of course does mean ski buses but they are well organised and regular. I think Pettneu a better option than St Jakob simply because there a a few bars in the village rather than having to go into St Anton. Most Austrian places involve buses, ski in / ski out = expensive.

Quick access from Munich is not so easy. Ski Welt might be a bit limiting for good skiers after a day or two though easy to get to Kitzbühel (it is linked but better to go at least one way by bus/train/taxi). Brixen is the ideal spot and if you choose accommodation with care can avoid buses. Kirchberg is cheaper than Kitzbühel though avoid the Hahenkamm weekend (though skied there last season that weekend and the pistes were empty) but the lifts are a bit out of the village. The Zillertal resorts might be a possibility, Hoch Zillertal is less well known (not as far down as Mayrhofen) so maybe easier to find accommodation. Saalbach - Hinterglemm is a fair way from Munich perhaps look at either Fieberbrunn (make sure near to lifts otherwise a long way out of the village) or Leogang easier transfer and maybe cheaper.

I am guessing you have tried the tourist office websites, you might try emailing them directly saying what you want to see if they can point you at any likely accommodation. I just tried searching in St Anton for 4 nights end of January for a double room and found lots starting at around €65 / room / night. It might be you need to pick a couple of pensions near each other.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 9-07-18 22:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

According to opodo there are 4 a day in January.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

According to opodo there are 4 a day in January.

No direct flights
snow report
Looking at Zurich to St Anton now or possibly Ischgl. Thanks for all the help.
snow report
Fly to Geneva.

Ski in Verbier, Switzerland.

Way better than anything in Austria.
ski holidays
It depends on your plane times but we once did Munich to Solden (Oetztal) by train and bus and were able to ski on the afternoon of arrival and morning of departure. There is probably a higher possibility of short term accommodation there than Obergurgl further up the same valley (so longer transfer time too). Solden would tick your skiing requirements.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Fly to Geneva.

And way more expensive too.
snow report
maddness wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Fly to Geneva.

You get what you pay for.

It is currently the best resort on Earth.
snow conditions
hmmm. swiss beir or Austrian beir?

Austria every time.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
maddness wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Fly to Geneva.

I wouldn’t have a clue first hand what Verbier is like but it gets big wraps.
What’s so good about it compared to other resorts and does it suit many kinds of skiers or just experts?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OP wants to go to Austria.
Having skied both Verbier and (a bit of) Austria if OP goes to Austria s/he need not worry that s/he has made the wrong decision.
Verbier will still be there for the next foray 😀
latest report
I’m sure Verbier is just amazing...so are the loads of other resorts I could mention...we want to go to Autrria though...clue was in the first post.
snow report
@maddness, What days are you looking for? For example, Thursday to Sunday might be difficult, but Wednesday to Saturday might be doable.
latest report
As an owner in Austria, it would be difficult to allow a four day break at this early time unless you were happy to arrive/depart on a Saturday and pay the seven day charge. How long you stay in between would be irrelevant.
ski holidays
@jafa, That's exactly what I was thinking.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@maddness, What days are you looking for? For example, Thursday to Sunday might be difficult, but Wednesday to Saturday might be doable.

We are going for four nights so Wednesday to Sunday is the best compromise otherwise Tuesday to Saturday is four days off work as apposed to oinoy three.
snow conditions
Just got this in an email through from Flexiski

Don’t know if this helps you at all

Quote:

Want something a bit more lively? Head to St Anton for some of the best après in Austria. Booking Hotel Banyan through flexiski is the ONLY way to get a short break hotel in St Anton all season - even over peak dates!

Whichever sounds good to you, drop us a line on 020 8939 0871.

Haven’t used flexiski myself yet but they had some interesting looking stuff hence I gave them an email address.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
maddness wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Fly to Geneva.

I wouldn’t have a clue first hand what Verbier is like but it gets big wraps.
What’s so good about it compared to other resorts and does it suit many kinds of skiers or just experts?

Verbier gets the best crowd, the best weather, the best accessible-steeps, and the best nitelife.

Perfect for top and average skiers. Excitement for newbies.

By comparison, Austria is a bit gash.
snow report
Verbier is very spread out and not easy to get around - probably better if you stay centrally but staying in La Tzoumaz or Nendaz made it less than ideal.

Kitzbuehel wouldn't necessarily be best for boarders as there are some walking sections which are fine on skis... That said it is where God has his earthly home and the locals are lovely.

How about Alpbach? Haven't been there in years but I remember it fondly.
snow conditions
@maddness, try staying Fieberbrunn or Leogang and ski the Saalbach Hinterglemm area from there. 4 days at end of Jan should be no problem as long as you don't cross the weekend. I usually aim to arrive Sunday and leave Thursday or arrive Tuesday/Wednesday and leave Saturday. Always better luck with the Sunday arrival though.

Verbier - don't believe the hype. Same goes for Whistler. Good places but hyped beyond the reality. @Whitegold, what makes me think you haven't actually been there?
ski holidays
have you btried air B n B?
In the past I've sent inquireis to the local tourist office via their web site, they can then get offers sent to you.

Has worked well for me.
ski holidays
I managed to do this (short trip over a weekend, end of jan ) a couple of years ago, was in St anton. the train (booked in advance) from zurich was incredibly good value and very convenient (straight into the centre of St anton) , as are the large lockers in the train station to use on arrival/ leaving day. only issue was the accommodation had to be couple of towns over ( Pettneu) - places to stay in walking distance of the lifts seem to be in short supply and very much at a premium as a result. we had one short (free) bus in the morning but those big beers proved too delicious and we had to get a taxi back at about 1am every night (most taxis have ski racks fitted to the back and when split between a few of you the cost wasn't a big deal) awesome skiing, tiny lift queues, great apres, but returned home a bit of a broken man after hitting both hard for 5 days straight! our place was found and booked on booking.com. was a bus involved, but nothing like the faff involved in cham or somewhere like that, once you got to the the closest lift you were "in" the lift connected area. If i was getting younger rather than older i'd do it again in a heartbeat!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy