Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calgary commutable to Big 3?

Poster: A snowHead
Am fortunate enough to have three free days when in Calgary on work trip at end of January. Planning to drive each day to the Big 3 (lake Louise, Banff and Mount Norquay) one day in each in that order but driving back to Calgary each evening and up early and back for first lift.

Questions essentially are:

1. Are these the best ski areas drivable from Calgary
2. What will the road / travel conditions be like? Google maps indicates they’re commutable from Calgary

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TCH 1 is the main artery across and so kept clear as possible, Lake Louise is a bit of a distance, but with an early start doable. If doing that I'd leave early and grab breakfast en route or when there Smile

You could also look at driving south to Castle if they have good conditions - great little ski area, without any of the resort feel at all. Its a very easy drive too, and less chance of poor road conditions. Obviously dependant on where in Calgary you are based.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 to Castle
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will google Castle, thank you. An early start is never a problem due to the time difference!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowsartre,

I would certainly endorse the view that Castle Mountain is worth a trip. We loved it there last year.

However, as you are having a "free" (I assume, flights paid) trip to Canada why commute 90 minutes each way for 3 days skiing? Why not book accommodation for 2 nights and save yourself the hassle and have a more relaxing trip? There are hotels in Banff on Booking.com for £50 a night, or a decent looking hostel for half that price.

You could look at it as 3 nights skiing in Canada for £150, plus the cost of fuel - a bargain me thinks! wink

There is also a Super 8 hotel at Pincher Creek, near Castle, which is also good value.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haven't been to Castle, but would go for LL and Sunshine plus castle. I though Norquay was pretty diassapointing. Small, samey runs but it has to be said the views back towards Banff were pretty spectacular.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
Snowsartre,

I would certainly endorse the view that Castle Mountain is worth a trip. We loved it there last year.

However, as you are having a "free" (I assume, flights paid) trip to Canada why commute 90 minutes each way for 3 days skiing? Why not book accommodation for 2 nights and save yourself the hassle and have a more relaxing trip? There are hotels in Banff on Booking.com for £50 a night, or a decent looking hostel for half that price.

You could look at it as 3 nights skiing in Canada for £150, plus the cost of fuel - a bargain me thinks! wink

There is also a Super 8 hotel at Pincher Creek, near Castle, which is also good value.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Very Happy

Echo the stay part but I'd do Castle and Fernie instead of Lake Louise and Sunshine.

Unless of course Lake Louise and Sunshine are getting the goods and Castle and Fernie aren't.

Castle and Fernie skiing much better IMHO. And a whole lot warmer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another thumbs down for Mt Norquay. Give it a miss and have 2 days at SV or LL. Really don't know how they have the nerve to call it the Big 3. More like the medium size 2 and tiny Norquay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kicking Horse.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Kicking Horse.

If he's staying overnight.

Day tripping, forget it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Norquay has one of thw steepwst Pistes in North America
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clearly lots of locals commute from Calgary to the Big3 resorts for the day. The RCMP know this and the section of Highway 1 through the National Park is full of police speed traps! I think our record was counting 15 between Lake Louise and Banff! The Parks Canada guys are also on the lookout for anyone without a Park Permit!

The road itself will be fine, its a 2 lane highway, and pretty straight, not your typical Alpine hairpin switchbacks, and as its the main E-W route is kept pretty clear, even in heavy snowfalls. It also depends where in Calgary you are, from the airport its straight onto the Highway and pretty easy drive, but traffic through downtown Calgary can be very busy,

But like others if I was going all that way I'd find a little more cash to stay in Banff for two nights. Got to be more relaxing than driving both ways each day.
Having been to Norquay for the first time this year after several Banff trips I think its a rather hidden gem. Of course its much smaller than the others but its perfect for a day, and its got a very friendly low key vibe. If the visibility isn't great then its ideal as its all entirely below the tree line
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd definitely stay in banff unless your under curfew ?.
If you have a car with snow tyres and chains then you can do what you want. But a lift pass to the Big 3 will give you option to get the Ski Bus to any resort you choose for the time your there.
Also at Lake louise, you can meet up with 'ski Friends ' https://www.skifriends.ca/ and have people to ski with.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Others will no doubt disagree but:

- Loved Norquay on our two visits. Great snow both times; quiet slopes; and - as has been mentioned - challenging steeps

- Have also enjoyed two trips to Nakiska - the closest ski area to Calgary.

- Loved the novelty of Canada Olympic Park on the outskirts of Calgary. We've been twice. Proper skiing on proper snow - so beats a UK snow dome hands down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with @mountainaddict, about Norquay. We loved it. Very quiet area, great snow and some of the steepest bump runs we've encountered anywhere.

And Banff is one of our favourite ski towns. It would be a shame not to stay there after travelling half way round the world...
snow report
I'm assuming the reason for coming back to Calgary is because the hotel is paid for by work?

If so, look into ski bus that goes from Calgary to various ski areas. I can't help with specifics but most cities in the snow belt tend to have those.

Driving in the morning will be ok as you're fresh. Driving back after skiing can be tiring. And after 2 consecutive days, you may not be so motivated to get up on day 3...
ski holidays
I think Norquay is worth a visit, I like the runs there and its so handy from Banff.

Recommend Caribou Lodge ... Nice warm underground parking.

The only thing to watch out for is the road conditions if you get a dump of snow when you want to come home.

Kicking Horse is a bit too far for a day trip from Banff.

Enjoy your skive Smile
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Recommend Caribou Lodge ... Nice warm underground parking.

Enjoy your skive Smile

^+1. (If you can get a room on the frontage it's more pleasant too).
snow report
Not been there myself but have friends who live in Calgary and they go to Panorama. Other friends who went to visit said the skiing there was really good - also challenging steeps - he's a really good skier so must be pretty good.
ski holidays
Daily commute from Calgary to Panorama? You’ve got to be kidding! Shocked
ski holidays
Daily commute to all Big 3 is easily doable. Highway is good and pretty well kept in winter. We do it the whole time.

I would wait and see what snow conditions are like. Nakiska may be worth a trip and its a shorter commute.

Ditto Castle. I have been there only three times, because I have pretty much always had bad luck there. Too windy on the days I went so the top lift was shut 2.5 days out of 3 separate visits. On hill accommodation at Castle is very expensive. The drive to Castle can be tricky in winter, the wind can be very bad at the bottom of the 22. Its better now they have wind warning signs, live, but the first time I went there, there were great big semis blown over in the ditch. Pretty scarey as they blew over the other carriageway too. the highways down there aren't quite as well kept. But of course they could be fine. First time we went to Castle we stayed in Pincher Creek and couldn't get out of our hotel car park door in the morning due to drifts!!

I think the amount of driving you will be up for depends on how long you have been in Calgary before and so how acclimatised you will be.
snow conditions
Snowsartre to the white courtesy phone
latest report
Thanks for replies. @DrLawn, have decided to splash the cash on non-expensed trip to Bannf wink
@Mike Pow, not a clue what that means, sorry!
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, just had a google - I was never an athlete in the first place? And staying in Banff not Bannf!
latest report
You'd gone all quiet on us, so was paging you
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy