Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
jakemanc wrote:

Chez Bear, we'll probably apres in monetier, villenueve (grot/frog) and monetier.

Say Hi to Joe and Josie from me, good friends who are running Chez Bear, you'll have a great stay there!
The Frog is no more alas...........
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask J & J about the restaurant Auberge St Catherine in Puy St Pierre, just round the corner from you, fabulous Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coming out next Friday for a cheeky long weekend and was wondering how are the pistes holding out? As the last vestages of hope for fresh snowfall ebb away (if I'm reading the models right) looking forward to some fast piste skiing and long lunches in the sun!! @KenX buy you a beer if you're around.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just posted in the main weather thread - pistes icy and a few runs closed - definitely needs some fresh snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It appears to be snowing. Happy. Shame we're back home. Sad https://www.serre-chevalier.com/webcam/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, nowt to get excited about, though I will check first thing in the morning.

As I posted in the weather thread earlier.

We're hoping that it's going to be the reverse of Xmas / New Year in that the World and his Wife will not book the Southern Alps for the forthcoming High Season due to lack of snow (they all booked here for Xmas/New Year as we had such good coverage) and that we'll eventually get the snow minus the hordes, but do think we're clutching at straws, as many have already booked and here many are second homeowners with families.

Though suspect the UCPCA Off-Piste courses here might not be that popular currently and driving through La Grave Monday and again Yesterday was like a ghost town!

It really is getting a joke with some of the local chalet ops posting on social media trying to drum up business saying how it's going to dump this weekend and that conditions are great so now's the time to book etc etc

Trouble is we can't comment as we know them, and yes they are trying to run a business etc, so just leave them to it, I'll wait till I bump into them.

The one thing that will brighten a possible dull weekend up is the Andros Trophy and there's a hell of a lot of infrastructure been set up at the circuit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, the world and his wife, and most of Aix-Marseille booked their February/March breaks months ago. My place was booked up by end of July for the whole 4 weeks, and balances are all paid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can always hope it dumps throughout as then they'll stay in or go to the thermal baths.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All,
Currently looking for a holiday 9-16 Feb with my son. There seems to be stacks of snow on the SerreChe webcams, but this thread doesn't seem to rate conditions that much. Is it because the snow fell ages ago and is now old, tracked out and used..... or are the webcams just well positioned t make it look like there is loads more snow than there actually is>

Looking at ClubHotel Olympic, with the intention of sending the boy on boarding lessons for the first two days whilst I work over wifi. Any comments on Olympic, current snow, snow outlook, wifi in Briancon and indeed the esi-generration ski school most welcome

thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh also is it French half terrm?

I think there's a sticky on this

... goes off to look
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Hi All,
.......Is it because the snow fell ages ago and is now old, tracked out and used..... or are the webcams just well positioned t make it look like there is loads more snow than there actually is......

Pretty well yes to the above, though KenX can confirm more than me, as he accused me of "being a rat leaving a sinking ship" when I disappeared earlier this week off to Chamonix, and I'm now having to consider another road trip to Austria!

But pistes still look in great condition with the early corduroy groomed piste conditions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TheGeneralist, why not wait and see if Italy gets the snow that we will get, then twice as cheap, as nowhere near as busy Laughing

And cheapo flights to Turin.

This has not been brought to you by the Serre Chevalier press office
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope the snow arrives soon. I am in the area end of March- all of April.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JackSkier, feck me we'll all be splitting our wrists by then if it doesn't happen!

Trouble is now, based on my garden (all snow is now gone even N Facing), we need at least three or four 20-30cm snowfalls
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
@JackSkier, feck me we'll all be splitting our wrists by then if it doesn't happen!

Trouble is now, based on my garden (all snow is now gone even N Facing), we need at least three or four 20-30cm snowfalls

Don't hate me but I cancelled my SC visit and am now heading to Austria ...
latest report
I hate you Mad
snow conditions
Hardly even a dusting overnight / early hours.

From where I'm sitting I can see straight up to the top of the Eychauda drag, and as you can see that's still devoid of snow, having all been blown away, it's like we're back in December waiting for the start of the season rolling eyes

Zoomed in

Looks like I'm destined for the bike in the garage again, as although back is good enough for skiing, no way is it good enough for the rigours of cross country skating Sad
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Hardly even a dusting overnight / early hours.

Sad

I did think your hopes of 3cm had materialised to 3mm.
I havent cancelled my visit to Serr Che next week. I am assuming there is still good piste skiing to be had and Serre Che in the sun is unbeatable! Slightly concerned for my mate who had rather scrappy skiing in Andora at Christmas and was hoping for a bit more next week but hey ho, doesn't change the taste of the beer!!
snow report
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=43370&model=gfs&var=4&run=0&lid=ENS&bw=
Some hope in the nearer future
snow conditions
@RetroBod, piste skiing still really good, evidently ??

@JackSkier, wait on see on that - what I go by is
http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm

And even then the actual is normally well down on what they predict Sad

And I don't think @RetroBod, should look at it as not a lot of sunshine for next week either Sad

As ever hope I'm wrong on both counts!!!
latest report
Not out till Friday..... and if no sun means some snow then bring it on. Either way it's so much better than being in the office. 7th visit out to Serre Che and just can get enough. You can't keep your little secret all to yourselves....
ski holidays
@RetroBod, I was up in Chamonix earlier in the week and could not wait to get back here, snow or no snow!

And a bit more investigation and this is what is currently (though can all change) on the cards for next week.

A classic Genoa Low or Retour D'Est

latest report
@Weathercam, yes been popping up for a bit in some models. Although I cherry pick the models with the soonest and heaviest snow!! May come a bit late for us as just out for a few days. Who knows, may get stuck in and have to stay the whole week!! Plans to come back in Feb half term but not booked yet. Tour operators are currently at +£400pp over last year's cost. Hope to grab a late "bargain" a bit closer to the date.....

BTW is your garden cam working?
ski holidays
Just arrived for a week, any advise on must do things (on ski’s !! )
snow report
@thunderer, have a BBQ at one of the BBQ areas. One at top of Prorel, and one at top of Vallons lifts. You can order food to collect there, details on link. Lovely for a sunny day. https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/ski-area/ski-area/picnic-areas/

Good mountain restaurants include Echaillon (off to the right of the Fangeas piste between top of Casse du Beouf and Clot Gauthies lifts).
Peyra Juana (Monetier side, off Rochamout blue towards the bottom of the mountain) and Le White (at Serre Ratier).

Amazing views at top of Yret.
latest report
Has the Peyra Juana changed ownership in the last few years? When I visted last week we stopped off for a beer and I had a quick look at the menu which seemed quite basic compared to my memories of it a few years ago.
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, no, same owners as always. Main menu always does look a little basic, and hasn't changed in years, but they come into their own with the Plat du Jour (often more than one) and home-made desserts.
latest report
@Hells Bells, your right the view is stunning. Hope this snow arrives on Wednesday, at least that might make it bearable to end of week, as very hard packed and polished at the moment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bonjour Serre Chevalier experts - do any of you know of Pinewood Chalets/apartments? They have excellent prices and we're thinking of going for Easter. Just want to know if they are reliable/as good as there website looks? We were let down by a chalet operator a couple of years ago so are now quite cautious.
snow conditions
Skevinski and I hiked up toward the Col de Laurichard this morning and found this:

Not fresh pow (5-10cm of windblown) but welcome in our current drought Very Happy
latest report
@blackdog123, AFAIK they're a good outfit, know the owners well. Maybe Weathercam could add some feedback?
snow conditions
@blackdog123, they're literally down the end of our road, two mins walk.

They really look after their guests, however, I would check that they have not got any school parties booked, and maybe ask about what other clients they have booked in, just that they do have various groups of snowboarding dudes who like to party.

That said they do have other apartments.

I've been cross country skiing recently now my back is better, though still afterwards I have to go for the painkillers, and the cross country piste is still in good condition given the fact that we now have not had any fresh snow for a month.

This was today just past Monetier

In the pic you can see the mounds of snow cannon snow and they really have been blasting as much as possible all through the night early hours as temps are below -10 as we found out when we went for a Lunar Ski Tour at 03:00 for the Lunar Eclipse!

In fact, as we had a good ski down we actually decided to go for first lifts this morning and ski the corduroy of the groomed pistes, and they are all in very good condition though some of the lower slopes off the back of Prorel are closed, but the main pistes down to mid gondola station are all in very good condition.

We also went over there to look at what Red Bull have built for a video that they are filming, pretty damn impressive!

If you read our Weather/Forecast blog you'd know that we were getting a little excited at the prospect of a Retour d'Est as that often means fresh snow for us here in Serre Che and a lot more snow in the Queyras which normally then warrants a road trip.

Unfortunately, someone has well and truly turned off the tap for this week, you can read more about the Retour d'Est or Genoa Low as it also known here as I'd decided to write a feature about it, and you can see how the forecasts have drastically changed over the course of two days Mad

As for forecasts, a bit of a dribble tomorrow, then next week is looking unsettled but still way off to be sure.

There is an off chance of a decent snowfall further North that might warrant a road trip to some resorts in Davidof's neck of the woods where I use to go with my nieces but will wait a couple more days to see how things pan out.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@blackdog123, they're literally down the end of our road, two mins walk.

They really look after their guests, however, I would check that they have not got any school parties booked, and maybe ask about what other clients they have booked in, just that they do have various groups of snowboarding dudes who like to party.

That said they do have other apartments.

I've been cross country skiing recently now my back is better, though still afterwards I have to go for the painkillers, and the cross country piste is still in good condition given the fact that we now have not had any fresh snow for a month.

This was today just past Monetier

In the pic you can see the mounds of snow cannon snow and they really have been blasting as much as possible all through the night early hours as temps are below -10 as we found out when we went for a Lunar Ski Tour at 03:00 for the Lunar Eclipse!

In fact, as we had a good ski down we actually decided to go for first lifts this morning and ski the corduroy of the groomed pistes, and they are all in very good condition though some of the lower slopes off the back of Prorel are closed, but the main pistes down to mid gondola station are all in very good condition.

We also went over there to look at what Red Bull have built for a video that they are filming, pretty damn impressive!

If you read our Weather/Forecast blog you'd know that we were getting a little excited at the prospect of a Retour d'Est as that often means fresh snow for us here in Serre Che and a lot more snow in the Queyras which normally then warrants a road trip.

Unfortunately, someone has well and truly turned off the tap for this week, you can read more about the Retour d'Est or Genoa Low as it also known here as I'd decided to write a feature about it, and you can see how the forecasts have drastically changed over the course of two days Mad

As for forecasts, a bit of a dribble tomorrow, then next week is looking unsettled but still way off to be sure.

There is an off chance of a decent snowfall further North that might warrant a road trip to some resorts in Davidof's neck of the woods where I use to go with my nieces but will wait a couple more days to see how things pan out.

Sorry you guys are still in a snow drought Sad

I was originally meant to be visiting in a week and a half but I cancelled and am now heading to St Anton instead. Shame as I was really keen to check out the area. Still, as I’m travelling all the way from Australia I really like to experience somewhere that is looking properly wintery as well as somewhere good to ski.
ski holidays
Is that snow I see up at the Col? Dare we hope that Alp D'Huez and the East side are sharing?
snow conditions
They're getting the benefit of the band of weather coming from the west, it's fizzling out before it gets here......
snow report
Grrrrrr
ski holidays
So looking at the forecast for next week, seems like might be snow around. What is Serre Che like in flat light / snow? Prone to closure? Skiing below treeline?

Staying in Villeneuve. Any thoughts appreciated!
latest report
Best tree skiing in the Alps.
snow conditions
@Marjon, lots of skiing below the tree line so fantastic if it is snowing. Lovely blue run Marteau black Casse du Boeuf and red run Bez back to Villeneuve all in the trees. Plenty of others.
snow report
@Weathercam, hints of that elusive Retour on Sunday?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy