Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, lagrange in chantemerle...also overheard a tour rep pleading with staff from another hotel re sheets and towels.

skied over to briancon side yesterday - lots of rocks and stones peaking thru.

sounds windy this morning

how much should i expect to pay for a return taxi to montgenevre if we were to have a trip up?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the top lifts seem to be shut this morning, it may be a walking day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kingwhite, there is a reasonable bus service from Briancon to Montgenevre and windy all day and easing by tomorrow and getting colder.

And can see Aravet and Frejus gondolas closed and Pointless running very slow.

I'm off games after a stupid fall whilst walking the dogs, so hopefully days rather than weeks.

Outlook (clutching at straws) still showing unsettled weather from the 12th onwards.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything open in Montgenevre. Not outrageously busy. Wind blowing snow on the peaks and the wind makes it colder than the last week. Hard pack and a bit worn in patches, but otherwise a fun alternative.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, would you mind sharing the link to that chart please? Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jakemanc, not that easy to share as a link as I have to go to meteociel and run the query (it's not a set page) and then screen grab the image and then upload it to my server
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jakemanc, use this link and hit "Diagramme Ens. GFS" top right

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks now let the obsessive checking commence
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back on the piste today, still firm but really well groomed, skied the Draye in Chantemerle several times it was so nice Very Happy
No wind today, unlike yesterday when half the lifts were closed, temps are staying low and the sun is still pretty weak, so none of that pesky freeze/thaw cycle!
Out every day for the next week now, getting strong again for when the powder arrives Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KenX, windy up in Monetier today, but not sure about higher up, as we had to do an airport run this morning. By the time we got back the pillow looked really inviting after a 6am alarm call. Back on the case in the morning though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, you have a whatsapp
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX so when is the powder arriving?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, ok.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RetroBod, at the moment no idea! Maybe a smidge middle of next week, but it can all change........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick update.

First, the good news, the vast majority of the hordes have all fecked off snowHead

Parking area below me at the Les Chalets du Jardin Alpin is nigh on empty, the British army would normally be there this coming week but no obvious white vans, but I have seen them elsewhere, maybe they're en route.

Now the obvious news, if coming out this week forget about the off-piste, that said did see some brave souls touring up and around the Lautaret and I'm sure that you could well score some spring snow turns at some point but will be a small % of the total descent.

Pistes will be firm and the corduroy will last well up to Noon as pistes will not be that busy.

Now the bad, there is no sign of any real snowfall for next week and with cold temps interspersed with some strong winds it's not going to be that pleasant, so make the most of Monday which could be the best day of the week, and maybe Thurs / Fri

And if venturing out for a walk on snow-covered trails be very careful when they are in the shade, in fact just be very careful as this is what it is like out there Laughing

snow conditions
Update: the past few days have seen the pistes getting approx 50% quieter day on day, great news! No queues at all now and pistes feel much safer without all the out of control tourists slicing past!
Pistes themselves are holding up really well given that we've had no fresh snow for a couple of weeks now, although in certain spots it's stating to look a bit thin, nothing you can't ski round though.......
The weather has been fantastic, guess you can't have your cake and eat it!
Out today with LynnX and Mr & Mrs Hells Bells and thoroughly enjoyed it Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, it was, and the Monetier pistes were still in good nick on the return trip this afternoon. I could have thought the place was closed by the time we got back to the bottom about 3.30. Hardly a soul in the Halte. Getting really nippy up here tonight.
ski holidays
Cloudy with a stiff breeze this morning, but it looks like the sun's coming out now. No sign of snow.
ski holidays
Almost didn't go up this morning after looking out the window, glad I did, as HB said, sun put his hat on and pistes were grand Very Happy
latest report
Tis certainly feckin windy now.

I've been amazed today how both Aravet and Frejus gondolas have been running, when over the holiday period, what seemed like less wind than today they were closed Puzzled

I made do with the turbo in the garage, most pleasant with the low sun coming into the garage, but damn chilly when the sun went behind the mountain.

Windchill looks mildly bonkers over the next few days, and what snow (2cm) could be around tomorrow will quickly get blown away

And see that snow that was on the cards for next week has all disappeared

latest report
Blowing a hoolie up here. Meant to be going out to get something for dinner, as supplies are running low. Manchild has fallen asleep. Might be bread and copious amounts of cheese.
ski holidays
Get the diesel antigel in Very Happy
snow report
Freezing cold this morning had a few flakes of snow but came to nothing.
snow report
@Hells Bells, A classic North / South split this morning over the Alps with the Lautaret blocking the weather from the North

Just taken these two pics and you can see the weather down from the Col further up the valley, and we're getting the occasional snow flurry blown down when strong gusts come through.

And then looking the other way, like a different day

What we do get today will just be the crumbs Sad

Hence we need Retour Est like systems from the South to deliver the goods here
snow conditions
Since I posted the above weather has come in - must be pretty grim up there now!

Check cam out for what's happening, which I've zoomed back, will it be 1cm, 2cm or no* cms at all?

*because of the wind, and referencing Sausage Sandwich game Smile

http://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 9-01-19 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Since I posted the above weather has come in - check cam out for what's happening - must be pretty grim up there now!

http://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
I clicked on your link and the first thing I see are penguins. Weather must have taken a big change for the better!
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ooohhhh that made my bruised/cracked rib hurt Laughing
latest report
Just down from yet another day piste skiing, first chair to about 3/4 way up was a tad cold, not terribly windy, just the humidity I reckon, then after a couple of runs back down the Marteau through the trees, the sun made an appearance and it was really quite pleasant! Made even more so by the fact there were only about 30 people up there, obviously all the fair weather skiers had stayed down Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, no snow though, I reckon what flakes there were had come from further up the valley!
ski holidays
Just back in. Freezing biting wind blowing down from the Lauteret. Some snow falling but not enough to lie and all blown away. Poor visibility and top lifts closed. We were offered vouchers for the ski bus.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 10-01-19 16:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Cold and sunny this morning, but at least the wind had dropped and the links were open. Yret windblown, but well-covered, Vallons de Cucumelle similar, but a few stones in places (there are warning signs up). The link across to the Villeneuve/Chantemerle sector is now unbelievably quick with the new Cote Chevalier chairlift. Over to Grande Alpe, then up again, and onto Draye above Serre Ratier which was in good nick,but a little firmer than a couple of days ago. Back up, bit more of a ski before lunch. Snow canons going at lunchtime, so still pretty cold. We decided to head back to Monetier before the sun went behind the peaks. Worst conditions today was on our return to Monetier. Eychauda good, and you could almost imagine there had been fresh snow, and canons going on Rochamout blue and Aya red, but warning of hard icy snow just before the second last bend on Aya were well-founded, couple of folks had slid round the corner ahead of us, J fell trying to get past them, and then I added to the carnage, although no-one was injured. Last day tomorrow, so off to vets with the mutts shortly for their pet passport requirements.
snow conditions
very cold this morning, dogs had frozen paws.
latest report
-13 degrees here this morning Shocked Not skiing today as we have to go to Gap, took some pics from the Old Town this morning, views of the Prorel runs to the left, Chantemerle, Villeneuve and Monetier up the valley to the right with the mountains of the Lautaret in the distance

Untitled

Untitled
ski holidays
First Izoard of 2019.

Cold in the shade going up there. After lunch was the usual crazy toboggan run down, made even faster by the cold snow, though I stuck to skis using my back as an excuse.

And highly amusing to see emergency stops as a piste basher came up Laughing

snow report
Well that is us done and dusted until March. Hope there's some fresh stuff for the geezonaires soon. We have a lunch appointment in Nuits-St-Georges tomorrow..
latest report
Just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for apres bars in Briancon (first time staying there usually stay in villenueve) also any recommendations for restraunts appreciated too.
latest report
IRestuarant...try Le Pied de la Gargouille in the Old town. Great food..decent value.
snow conditions
@jakemanc, Spirit bar next to church in the old Town. Where are you staying?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@jakemanc, Spirit bar next to church in the old Town. Where are you staying?

Chez Bear, well probably apres in monetier, villenueve (grot/frog) and monetier as well as we can get a lift back after. So if you have any other bar suggestions it would be appreciated.
snow report
Alpen bar in Monetier too.

Quote:
Chez Bear,
- Nice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy