Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Friday evening / Back Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
As we all know the overnight train can get booked up pretty quickly and isn't exactly comfortable. Who thinks they would consider a package that flies you out Friday evening after work, allows you a nights sleep in the valley before going up the hill early in the morning so you ski most of the day saturday then check in to your accommodation for the week. then at the other end of the week you ski on the Saturday and go down the hill sat night, stay in the valley then get an early flight back on the Sunday? 2 extra days added to your holiday?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting idea. Have you identified a bunch of people who want to fly out on Sunday morning, returning home on Friday night, getting only 4-5 days skiing, to fill the opposite legs? Very Happy

If not then the flight element might need to be roughly twice standard prices; plus two nights extra accommodation; so it starts to add up. But even allowing for that the extra two days skiing might make it attractive to some.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
May be limited to scheduled options I guess
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All depends on the flight situation doesn't it. Probably more scope on the Sunday flight back as you've got a full day to go at.

But just IMO if you want 8 days skiing then drive.

We drive overnight so no accommodation issues but you can do sleepovers. Of course, this is dependent on you living within striking distance of the channel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would guess for the average punter, a week is enough. In Sweden, weekend and short weeks are very popular - Sun-Thur or Thur-Sun (as well as Sun-Sun). I’m surprised by how many people do that. But that may be the second or third trip also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
think accommodation may be an issue with so many places Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun.
Maybe some hotel nr the Airport for Fri head down & leave early Sat ski with later check in.
Then back to airport hotel on the Sat night ready for an early Sun flight home.
It was somthing we considered for next year as people was still deciding on location.

Luckily it was decided by the time Flybe released the flights & a group booking with free checked baggage means our return flight is only £85
Big difference to the usual £150 flight + £40 London Hotel, £6 bridge crossing & £30 minibus charge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I quite often fly on the Friday, have a night in town or in the valley then ski. On the way back it's good to have a night in Munich, Salzburg or wherever. Gives a bit more skiing if we feel like it, a much less stressful drive back to the airport city and a decent evening out. Sometimes the Sunday flights are so much cheaper it's almost an extra day's holiday for nothing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is exactly why we used to use the Snowtrain service. Leave London on Friday afternoon, sleep overnight en-route, arrive chalet early on Saturday morning - often before the previous punters were awake. Dump gear and go skiing. Then, on the next Saturday, keep skiing until mid/late afternoon, shower, and then get back on the coach for the late train home. Arrive back in London middayish Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been flying out on a Wed. or Thurs. back on Sunday/Monday for years - keeps the flight costs down, and the saving pays accommodation and lift tickets. What's not to like Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done it. I tend to think that people who are motivated to do it are similarly motivated to organise it themselves. What happens if some of your guests don't get up on Saturday morning and leave those that do missing their morning skiing?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Especially when tied to peak weeks in the last 10 years, we have almost always travelled (usually, though not always, driving) on Friday and stayed in Scionzier/Sallanches/Annemasse/Annecy/Bourg d'Oisans/etc or a similar valley town en route if we haven't been able to access resort accommodation that evening. We have tended to also leave resort last thing on Friday to get ahead of the scrum at the tolls/airport so 7, rather than 6 or 8 days actual skiing. When I ski with friends now, many of whom have other weekend commitments, it is almost always for 3,4 -5 days midweek with flights. As@Gämsbock, suggests though we are very comfortable with making our own arrangements to suit our preferences.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depending on flight times, it's possible to get 8 days skiing with Saturday to Saturday flights. In previous years we've had 7 days - ski til just before lifts close, then back to airport in time for an 8.30pm flight. This year we're aiming for 8 days (OK, 7 1/2 - flight arrives before 10am, and hoping to be skiing at about noon.

Another option to solve the extra nights of accommodation problem in your scenario is - if you have a hire car - stay in a valley town on Friday arrival day and Saturday final night. Shouldn't be any problem with getting a single night's accommodation there, and it's basically what lots of people do when self-driving anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why stop at 8 days. Make the return flight Sunday evening and have 9?

But if you are talking scheduled flights for the UK market it is pretty much a non starter - Friday night flights into most of the major ski airports are either rare (Salzburg, INN) or full of a mix of business and weekender travellers (GVA, ZRH, Milan etc). The business travellers may of course drop a bit after Brexit but so would the routes if there is reduced full fare biz travellers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes we'd look to offer 8 or 9 day options
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Surely there are daily flights to the likes of Geneva, Milan, Salzburg from the UK? And who cares if the other passengers are business or non-skiing travellers?

I would imagine the problem with the 9 day option is the difficulty extending your mountain accommodation for an extra night. Logistically a bit of a pita to pack up and descend to a vally hotel for the night and then get on the slopes the next day as a one off. Doable of course but as I say a pita.
latest report
If you like the idea of the train for the extra skiing, but want good nights sleep, then in my experience the best solution is to take a Friday night Eurostar to Paris, sleep in an inexpensive hotel near Gare de Lyon, then early TGV to arrive in the resort by lunchtime and ski in the afternoon.
ski holidays
With the 9 day we might put them in Bourg St Maurice for the night and the extra day (sun) is in Les Arcs (up the monorail)?
latest report
williami wrote:
With the 9 day we might put them in Bourg St Maurice for the night and the extra day (sun) is in Les Arcs (up the monorail)?

Should work no problem. The reason I say it could be a pita is just because of the packing out, checking in to the hotel, dealing with kit but none of it's a big deal if you are of the right frame of mind. But this is subject to being able to get suitable flights Sunday evening. If for example I could only get flights for mid-afternoon hence finishing skiing at say 1pm I probably couldn't be @rsed. for me I like the 8 day idea and being home at a reasonable time on the Sunday. But maybe I am talking my own book because I always drive and coming back overnight Sunday isn't an option.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Surely there are daily flights to the likes of Geneva, Milan, Salzburg from the UK? And who cares if the other passengers are business or non-skiing travellers?

I would imagine the problem with the 9 day option is the difficulty extending your mountain accommodation for an extra night. Logistically a bit of a pita to pack up and descend to a vally hotel for the night and then get on the slopes the next day as a one off. Doable of course but as I say a pita.

No I was saying those flights are full of ski weekenders in addition to business people so there isn't a lot of extra slack. Take almost any flight from London to GVA any Friday pm in ski season - loads of people going for a weekend in Cham etc.

In respect of the OP it's ok as an idea but it's a DIY proposition, And if you are DIYing you may need a car due to transfer options not necessarily being abundant for Friday late night arrivals, and once you've got a car you can drive up for the extra day to some place (not necessarily where you were for the week)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy