Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sarenne run Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
hi there

Mrs C and i are off to Vaujany for a 3 day trip tomorrow.

Been reading about the area and like the sound of the Sarenne run down from the top station at 3300m or so down to Alpe D'Huez.

Anyone done this one? Mrs C thinks as it's a black it might be terribly difficult. Most of our time is spent on reds but out of choice really - can get down most blacks without any problems but prefer runs that are not too difficult.

Anyone know for example how the Sarenne run would compare to some of the runs in the 3Vs - Mont Vallon for example or the red under the big Saulire cable car up from Courcheval?

Thanks......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I didn't find it that hard, but conditions were relatively benign. It had just been freshly pisted the first time I did it and though it had moguled up a bit for the second go it still wasn't bad. Some of the steeper pitches at the top can be avoided by tracks if you don't like the look of them. Also bear in mind that though it is quoted at something like 18km long it consisits of two sections, initiallya fairly steep series of pitches to the valley floor and then basically a long flat section along the valley bottom. Friends did it a few years ago when it was thigh deep unpisted powder and it took them all afternoon - but i can imagine a 10km walk in thigh deep powder along a basically flat valley floor wasn't a lot of fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Horsley, thanks for that, we'll try and get a conditon report locally before we head off......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoid the really nasty bit at the top by getting the Marmottes 3 bubble and dropping into it from there. Very nice run from that point on, shouldn't disturb people who spend time on red runs. Enjoy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The very top can get a bit mogulled but it's worth going up Pic Blanc rather than Marmottes for the views.

In general, it's black because there are a couple of steepish pitches (neither of which are long) and because once you're in it, you have to ski the whole thing.

It's a great run - if you get a nice day definitely do it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for all the advice guys, i'll keep my fingers crossed for a blue sky day on Sunday and try and get some good pics!

only 16hr25mins until we are due to take off YIPEEEEE
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The first time we did it we took the Marmottes route as the pic blanc bus was closed. In the afternoon we did it right from the top as they had opened Pic Blanc. I prefered it from Pic blanc as I liked the steeper un pisted pitches down from Pic Blanc, but these could be avoided by a pisted red track. Nice run in the conditions we did it in, just make sure you retain plenty of speed for the long flat section at the bottom or you'll be doing a lot of polling or skating. I'd recomend it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And a lovely, sunny bar/ restaurant at the bottom for a much-needed cold one, if memory serves?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
/\/\/\ my tip - get there by 12.30 and order the daily special
mmmmmm Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, rainman,

can you remember name of restaurant or is it fairly obvious and easy to find?

thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rainman, We didn't go that far, AFAIR we continued in the valley past where a couple of other runs joined, but caught the wierd chairlift that has two tops and and lower middle and loads at all three places and in both directions in the middle Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roger C, La Combe Haute, IIRC.

It is pretty obvious - most of the way along the long flat run out. A little bit past where some pistes from the Auris area join the run out.

Enjoy!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heh, maybe it's not as obvious as I thought because Dave Horsley would have skied past it on his way to that chair. Keep your eyes open and look out for it on your right hand side
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C,

Re the Sarenne

A bit bland but the views were worth it from the top. Its a red run and a path IMV
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
Roger C,

Re the Sarenne

A bit bland but the views were worth it from the top. Its a red run and a path IMV

I agree I think its only a black because of its remoteness and length. I'm a boarder and found the flat bit at the bottom blardy hard work. Worth it tho so you can say you've done the longest black run in europe NehNeh
latest report
Arno, I thought it was pretty obvious, but my radar doesn't allow me to miss too many slopeside hostelries!

Roger C, I'd agree that the run is more like a challenging red, with a long path at the end, but is definitely worth your time. The views are fantastic and there's plenty of fun to be had if the snow's good.
latest report
Arno, I must be very unobservant, but we don't stop in slope side hostelries - were cheapskates and head back to the chalet for lunch, a beer and to take the kids out for the afternoon - so I must have tuned it out.
snow conditions
Just back from a great weekend staying at the Hotel Rossiou in Vaujany (run by Ski Peak). Plenty of good snow on most runs in the greater Alp D'Huez area. We visited most of the outlying places including Oz and Villard Reclusas.

Did the Satenne on Sunday. V good views from top as mentined by other Snowheads in this thread. Run itself was v nice at the start but was a bit bare on some of the moguled bits in the middle.

Had a great lunch on the terrace of the La Combe Haute so thatnks v much Arno, for the advice! We got there about 12.45 after skiing a nice black (Col de Cluy?) and within 15mins all the tables were taken.

We'd never visited this area before but will certainly be going back. Also it's worth mentioning that the service in general and the food particularly at the Hotel Rissou was excellent.
latest report
Roger C, glad you enjoyed it! I've been to the Combe Haute twice when I have had the last available plate of the special. The look on other disappointed punters' faces was a picture.

That said, ADH is very well served for nice mountain restaurants, especially when you consider the town's reputation for being a bit "unlovely".
ski holidays
Arno, we didnt really spend any time in ADH itelf other than waiting for lifts!

Mrs C had a great chilli (i helped her finish it off!) and i had a great Spag Bol.

Really enjoyed the ski area as you feel you are "travelling" around which is one of the reasons we often go to the 3Vs.

Vaujany was a great base, nice small village with v good access to ski area via huge cable car.
snow report
I'll be in Alpe D'Huez for a week on Saturday - any tips?? Particularly good runs? Good bars? Restauants?? We will definitely try the Sarenne & restaurant mentioned. Any other ideas??
ski holidays
sazza42, didnt really go anywhere in ADH so cant recommend any bars etc

Skiing wise we enjoyed the run down to Villard, a blue called couloir from the 1st stop of DMC also the reds from the top of second cable car above vaujany were good.

This weekend snow was mostly good even lower down......

Have a good time!
snow report
sazza42, you can't go too far wrong skiing down to any of the subsidiary resorts. have a play on the glacier if the weather's good before doing the sarenne. if there is fresh snow and off piste is your thing there are lots of fun lines around there which aren't committing.

as far as restaurants are concerned, i'd give the one at the top of "1ere troncon" (AKA the intermediate stage of the DMC) and the one at the top of Marmottes 1 a miss (unless you just want a quick ham sandwich and then to get out, in which case I am sure they're adequate). other than that, they are all pretty good IMO.
ski holidays
sazza42, If you get over towards Vaujany try La Fare, lovely black run, easy to miss though. In the Vaujany/Montfrais area Les Airelles is a good restaurant with a nice sunny terrace but it can get very busy. Spoke to friends over there last night and it was snowing with more forecast so conditions should be good for you!
ski holidays
sazza42,
Try the Tunnel black if its open and conditions are good.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice - just checked out the weather forecast/webcams - looks like we will have some fresh snow to play around in next week!
snow report
Nick Dawes, i agree the La Fare is a nice black and was very quiet when i did it. Head down the blue towards Montfrais from top of Vaujany cable car. After a few hundred metres the black goes off sharp left and the blue carries straight on.

Ends at a strange little lift that takes you up to catch the main Vaujany cable car back up......

sazza42, Snow was reasonable all the way down on Sunday so should be even better by the time you get there!!!!!
latest report
Roger C,

I agree its (La Fare) nice, but was a bit disappointed the first tim I did on it as we'd had about 6inches of powder overnight and we did it first thing. It was almost untracked, but had been pisted. So we had untracked cordoroy instead of the 6 inches of untracked powder Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, maybe that's the way they bring the piste basher home!!?? Bloody annoying though i bet.....
snow conditions
sazza42, One other to try, if you don't mind having to make a bit of effort, is the Chalet du Lac Besson. It's tucked away down a cross-country trail, which runs off the Chamois piste. It requires a bit of a hike (10 mins, although flat) (or skate) back to the slopes, but the food is fantastic (and very reasonable), it has an amazing terrace and you can't even see the pistes from the restaurant.

The other is the Cabane de Poutat, underneath the Marmottes gondola. A bit more expensive, but real gourmet fare. Perfect if the snow comes in!
snow report
Roger C,

Bit like this year, the snow was a bit thin resort wide. I think they wanted it packed down on the piste asap to improve conditions, cos they had pisted the majority of runs we tried at all grades the one exception was Tunnel which is always unpisted. We did find some nice unpisted areas between pistes, but not much.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy