Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim wrote:

3. I think thefatcontroller's apartment is in an excellent position in Arcs2000

what are the advantages of arc 2000 over Les Coches and vice versa? To me not having skied the area Les Coches looks perfectly positioned to access everywhere.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mother hucker, i will let thefatcontroller answer that.
But regarding "the best bits": if you like off piste, especially through the trees, then the off piste routes down to the left off the top of Salla (looking down the hill) are some of our favourites. Get a guide to take you down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mother hucker wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

3. I think thefatcontroller's apartment is in an excellent position in Arcs2000

what are the advantages of arc 2000 over Les Coches and vice versa? To me not having skied the area Les Coches looks perfectly positioned to access everywhere.

@Mother hucker, A has been said we bought in Arc 2000. We had done several holidays in Montchavin, Peisey, Belle Plagne before buying in 2000. Probably preferred Belle Plagne over 2000 but at the time of buying nothing was available there. We had done Esprit too, its easy and lazy but it is also hard work for the reasons you state. Its nice being able to do your own thing and with a little planning self catering is really easy.

Not critical of Les Coches just trying to be objective. We could have bought in Montchavin but for the reason I stated we didn't. If Les Coches fits your budget then I wouldn't hesitate to go there but personal preference in La Plagne would be Belle Plagne or something more in the centre rather on the geographical extreme. You did say you would have a 6 & 4 year old with you so you don't need to worry about the Vanoise as La Plagne alone will offer enough skiing for you and a La Plagne pass gives you 1 day across in Les Arcs.

Difference between Arc 2000 and Les Coches is I walk out the apartment at 2,100m and board down to 5+ lifts in Les Coches you have to travel upwards to start the day. Height does matter.

Anyway lots of powder here today so things to do. I will bow out now and I did tell you I would get slaughtered Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mother hucker, I agree with thefatcontroller that Belle Plagne is probably the best place if you are intending to ski mainly La Plagne. It is central, compact, has good quality accommodation, and good bars and restaurants.
It's main problem is you need to go down to Bellecote to get anywhere (unless you use eblunt's crafty routes, or prepared to queue for the Gondola mid-station), and at peak times Bellecote can be bedlam. Having said that, we did stay at Belle Plagne for many years (self catering) during UK half term without any real problems with queues, but then we did know our way around.

As regards using the Vanoise Express, I think you might go quite often. If i were staying at Les Coches, I would think of Montchavin/Les Coches and Peisey/Vallandry as one resort, with possibility of moving on to La Plagne or Les Arcs if you so wished. Stop thinking about it as La Plagne or Les Arcs. The Vanoise is a lift like any other (if maybe a bit fancier).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:
As regards using the Vanoise Express, I think you might go quite often. If i were staying at Les Coches, I would think of Montchavin/Les Coches and Peisey/Vallandry as one resort, with possibility of moving on to La Plagne or Les Arcs if you so wished. Stop thinking about it as La Plagne or Les Arcs. The Vanoise is a lift like any other (if maybe a bit fancier).

I concur.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meantime a lovely day here in La Plagne after yesterday's blizzard.
We did manage some skiing this time, but first thing there were large queues on the usual suspects: Becoin, Bergerie, Colorado and Grand Rochette. So we just went elsewhere and no queues at all. So glad most people seem stuck with the lifts out of Plagne Centre and leave the rest of the resort to us.
Pistes below Plagne Centre hard and skiddy, above 2000m pistes lovely.
Looks like snowy weather again tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, Weather looking good for next week with some excellent snow storms at the end of this week - especially good Saturday onwards Cool snowHead Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, yes - if the dump this week arrives as promised next week should be excellent!

@Jonpim, agreed that if you're staying in Les Coches you're likely to use the VE quite often.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it just me, or was it insanely busy today ? I thought all the school holidays had ended. Maybe it was the one sunny day this week so everyone cam out for it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were out today as well. Weather perfect, pistes in wonderful condition, but where the flip did all the people come from. This afternoon looking up to the top of Mira it was like a scene out of Zulu Dawn! Absolutely crazy numbers of people around, huge queues, utter madness.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eblunt and RobinS, come over to our little backwater and no queues anywhere snowHead
By 11.30 Colorado was clear, and so was Verdon Sud
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eblunt, @RobinS, Les Arcs was insane today too. Unenjoyable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thefatcontroller, I still don't understand how, in this case Les Arcs, can build huge new hotels (club med) emphasising its good because they are 'hot' beds ie in use every day and not build any new pistes or extend the skiable area in any way. La Plagne is equally guilty, the last new piste opened was Derochoir which rarely open hardly attracts the hundreds maybe thousands of extra skiers that the recent developments have attracted.
La Plagne did have an agreement licence to develop the Beacoin area, but for 'green' reasons have handed the licence back. As in LA, LP continues to build faster lifts which simply increases the numbers on the pistes by a faster rotation! (and at the same time removing the smaller 'labour intensive' lifts rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Greed. And possibly bulging brown envelopes.

Meantime, lovely look as we drew the curtains this morning: all the trees are white and terrace covered with snow right up to window sill. Must have snowed a fair bit. Weather forecasters continue to be blind sided.
Thunder storms forecast for lunchtime, and then a balmy 13°C on Friday afternoon Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, Dont know but did read somewhere that the issue many resorts face is bed occupancy rates not numbers on slopes as many leasebacks come to an end and are taken back into private ownership their actual usage is minimal compared to when they were rented out by the leasing companies. I seem to remember reading something on Les Arcs that the sales of lift passses is fairly static?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Good points about influence of selling leasebacks.
And the 2018 International Report on Snow & Mountain Tourism backs up your idea that visitor numbers have been static, at least as regards France as a whole - see page 31.

I have been unable so far to find information about lift pass sales for either La Plagne or Les Arcs - must be recorded somewhere.
ski holidays
@Jonpim,
Quote:

By 11.30 Colorado was clear, and so was Verdon Sud

We took Verdon Sud at 11am, only because the queue for Borseliers was so massive! Between 11:30 and 2 it was fine, outside of that just crazy. Unfortunately it has been the same every week except the three or four quiet weeks in January. I am afraid there's just far too much accomodation for the ski infrastructure to cope with.
ski holidays
Shouldn't they do something about the occupancy rates - it shouldn't be economical to own an apartment and only use it for a few weeks a year.
latest report
Regarding the numbers on the slopes - you'd need to see the precise numbers for La Plagne... I would be surprised if they were static say over the last decade.

Perhaps people are spending more time actually skiing these days?
snow report
@RobinS, my experience might be out of date (my season in La Plagne was 6 years ago now) or not relevant because I stayed in Montchavin which I think is the other side of the domain to you. Nevertheless I will share it to try and reassure you a bit! Basically Christmas week was fine, new year was mental and we hadn’t figured out the short cuts and hot spots, the following 4 weeks were really quiet. Then the 4 French holiday weeks were really busy and we had to pick our routes and timings carefully. One week was so busy we didn’t ski. Surprisingly the week following the last holiday week was no quieter - I had the impression that everyone without kids or very small kids came that week. After that it just got quieter and quieter - and April just dropped off a cliff in terms of numbers of people. The British Easter weeks made no noticeable impact. Definitely the last 4-5 weeks of the season were the best of the lot - no queues, empty pistes, lots of snow and lots of sun.
snow report
From memory ...Lift pass sales for La Plagne were 3% up last season with the growth coming from the 30% non French visitors mainly growth in Uk visitors. French numbers at 70% of total were static.
Now to see if I can find where I have remembered that from Smile (It may have been in the local paper https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie )

Some background info here ....If your French is uo to it theres lots of numbers here from CdA https://www.compagniedesalpes.com/
ski holidays
@Gämsbock, That does tie in with our experience so far. We were expecting this week to be quiet so got a bit of a shock at the crowds! We go home at the end of the month, so are rescheduling as much work as possible to get it done this week now, so hopefully will get more ski time next week in the hope it will be quieter!
snow conditions
boredsurfin, my Compagnie des Alpes site comes in English. Data up to Sept 2017. All very general. But interesting how many ski resorts they run. Lots.

Have had a quick look at Le Dauphine. Not found anything particularly pertinent yet, except this article from March 2016: "More than 5,000 hot beds are expected to come out of the ground in the next five years: 2,450 at Aime 2000 by 2020, 900 at Montalbert. Some are already under construction on Plagne sun, Champagny and Montchavin." (Googe Translate rolling eyes ).
ski holidays
@Jonpim, are you a member of APLP? I may have read it in one of their newsletters or maybe on Perso...
latest report
boredsurfin, we are not members of APLP (but probably a good idea if we were). We got this place on a slightly off-kilter arrangement.

But back to Mother hucker's query: for the last few days, with all the snowfall and mainly overcast sky, the "Best Places" around here have definitely been Montalbert (where we've been mainly up to today) and Les Coches/Peisey/Vallandry where we went today. Among the trees skiing in the snow was lovely (and pistes very quiet), while out on the bleak pistes above the tree line skiing was testing - and i took a nasty tumble and belly flopped out of my skis when hit an unseen small gulley. Most ungainly and embarrassing, and not getting anything like the sympathy i deserve Crying or Very sad Toofy Grin
latest report
+1 for Montalbert today (and yesterday for that matter) as well as the runs down to La Roche, lovely with a nice coating of fresh snow & great fun through the trees. The effect of the tree shadow was very evident when we headed back towards Champagny - visibility seemed much the same but in the open there was no contrast, and seemingly straightforward slopes were hard to navigate without hitting unexpected bumps. Earlier we had decided that Bosses at the top of Verdons looked like a good challenge - seemingly lots of nice soft snow and good bumps, and even the sight of 2 boarders retreating after 20 yards didn’t put us off so it was an unexpected treat to find that the bumps were in fact hard and icy and largely invisible in the whiteout. We did not cover ourselves in glory rolling eyes although Mrs L did cover herself in snow. (I have to admit I evened up the score later but my excuse was that I hit a large ice boulder hidden in the just off piste bumps towards Montalbert Embarassed ). The flat light forced us off the hill around 3, but the weather held up better than forecast. Hoping that the overnight storm clears in time for a nice play in the powder tomorrow.
latest report
Loganberry, if the sun does come out tomorrow it will indeed be a wonderful day.
It has been snowing all day. The La Plagne Weather Bulletin has the snow level rise from 130cm to 170cm at 2000m. That would seem about right.
latest report
Absolutely Jonpim, and some sun would certainly be nice, but looks more likely after tomorrow. I’m guessing though that the forecast heavy snow fall (almost a metre between this afternoon and overnight on the mountain according to some) will be enough to delay lift opening higher up tomorrow morning? Not that the highest lifts have been open at all this week Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
Mother hucker, I agree with thefatcontroller that Belle Plagne is probably the best place if you are intending to ski mainly La Plagne. It is central, compact, has good quality accommodation, and good bars and restaurants.
It's main problem is you need to go down to Bellecote to get anywhere (unless you use eblunt's crafty routes, or prepared to queue for the Gondola mid-station), and at peak times Bellecote can be bedlam. Having said that, we did stay at Belle Plagne for many years (self catering) during UK half term without any real problems with queues, but then we did know our way around.

Thanks for the crafty route's recommendations. We have a studio in Belle Plagne and are delighted with it. From the window with a pair of binoculars I can check out the lift queues at Bellecote, and if it's bad can go up in the lift and get the magic carpet and Col de Forcle if really needed. In general we find Blanchets is almost always OK, it's only Arpette that's a no no sometimes. It's also handy in that we often pass the flat during the day so for example we might do Champagny in the morning for the sun, drop back for lunch and go elsewhere in the afternoon. We can get to Transarc in about an hour and 10 mins so it's no too much of a trek going to Arcs, but equally 3 lifts to Montalbert. But everyone has there own preferences and nowhere is the perfect place.
ski holidays
Drove up last night to find queues of traffic from before Moutier and then at each traffic holding point to Aime got up to Montalbert to find all the car parks were full, the neighbours had all their extended family's staying as well ... Its supposed to be a quiet week after all the holidays Shocked
Not to worry this morning the place was very quiet, with quite a few people seem to have left, the forecast mentioned rain, so we can only assume it was busy with weekenders.

This morning reached 21c in the village at 10am, no queues at the lifts, glorious sunshine, excellent snow and the promised rain held off until 16:00 and temperature dropped back to 7c with snow forecast overnight. Over the French lunchtime we had Bergerie lift to ourselves - pretty much a unique experience.
Much of the high stuff was closed, but we noticed the Cretes draglift was open at 2pm so headed up there to find the only piste open from it was Grande Pente - which was, how shall we say, 'interesting' if it was all powder it would have been wonderful but it was a mixture of crust, soft snow and some heavy stuff lower down - there are photo's, but oh dear I can't work out how to post them on here wink
snow report
Ah, boredsurfin, the same mistake we made back on Feb 6th.
I bet there was a notice scribbled on a blackboard to inform you only Grande Pente was open, but easy to miss.
And i reckon our solution may have been more enjoyable than yours Toofy Grin

Funny day yesterday: every sort of weather, changing minute by minute, sun, cloud, snow, with temperatures up and down.
We spent more time in Borseliers than actually skiing. snowHead

Now it looks like a week of wall-to-wall sunshine. Nice
latest report
Jonpim, Went up to try Grande Pente again but with fresh(er) legs yesterday but, shame, it was closed. So as a consolation went down the Red by the side of it which was much more straight forward Toofy Grin
Mrs B went home late morning with achy back, so I had the pleasure of sitting on Envers twice in one morning, it really is running slowly and the seats are looking very worn. Hopefully it will get sorted, but frankly as long as they keep it open its fine snowHead
latest report
The Envers chairlift continues to run (slowly) and is well used, however the seats as previously mentioned are a bit of a problem, the red ones are cracking and the black ones are de-laminating... so hopefully the rumour that they will all be replaced for the summer is true - or the rumour that Poma will build a complete replacement in the summer would be better
ski holidays
Had a fine day spring skiing today. Pistes lovely, a bit of "poor man's powder" low down. Wall to wall sunshine, and hot. Beautiful conditions for our last week out here.
latest report
North face of Bellecote in great condition yesterday, though the wind was ripping across the face for large parts of the morning so the bigger lines will definitely be spicy and there was already some slab forming on the right banks of Cairn.

snow conditions
offpisteskiing, excellent pics, and i like your term "spicy".
I'll stick to inbound off-piste for now.

Had a lovely long lunch at Borseliers with Mr and Mrs Boredsurfin on Wednesday.
Lot of discussion about Envers.
A very necessary lift just now - the run blue run down to Envers was pretty ghastly when we went down it on Wednesday (to avoid the hordes of Ski School kids going up Envers)
ski holidays
Duplicate

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-03-19 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Paused in Bellecote to watch the water slide by Le Bonnet restaurant - ended up staying for lunch as the entertainment was so good Cool

Perhaps a passing mod could turn the photo up the right way...

latest report
Had a run across from Montalbert to Villaroger and back today. Skiing really nice, a bit slushy in places, no crowds or queues, except Colossus on the way back, two of the 8 seats have been blocked off all week, and it was running slowly. Don't know whats broken, but it had a massive queue (15 minutes+). The one thing to spoil a fantastic day.
ski holidays
Yes, RobinS, we did similar, but only as far as lovely new red run down beside new Comborciere chair, followed by long leisurely lunch at Chalet Hotel La Foret above Vallandry.

Rather than the Collosse hordes, we initially opted for the bus , which was rapidly gaining a large crowd, but then our companion's partner was on his way back from Geneva and picked us up instead. Fortunate as not everyone was getting on the bus.

Another warm sunny day today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy