Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
@HelenS, it does! Its as accurate as the UK Met office Toofy Grin
Right now it says its snowing - looking at the webcams it's not.. But looking at the sky on the webcams its going to snowHead http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/montalbert
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Down here at Montvilliers it's definitely raining! First time since before Christmas. Given that it's 5c here (and 7c in Aime a short while ago) I would guess that the rain/snow limit is somewhere between Montalbert and Le Formelet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At Montalbert it's now snowing big heavy wet flakes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rode the Envers chair today. Still uncomfortable but at least it's going! Should make the run down to La Roche less busy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair, you rode Envers today!?! Shocked
Way to go! When did it open?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We also rode the Envers, first time we have encountered it open this season, seemed fine to me, and avoids the run down to the Roche. Too late to be much help with the holiday time carnage though!

Pistes had been nicely freshened up, and there was some hero powder in the off piste, and no crowds today. For some reason the Colorado wasn't running when we were there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobinS wrote:
We also rode the Envers, first time we have encountered it open this season, seemed fine to me, and avoids the run down to the Roche. Too late to be much help with the holiday time carnage though!

Pistes had been nicely freshened up, and there was some hero powder in the off piste, and no crowds today. For some reason the Colorado wasn't running when we were there.

Have you ever been on a chairlift that wasn't fine ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Envers has been shut all season until now because apparently it didn't work properly, reports from last season were that it was not smooth, crashing bumpily over the rollers etc. I just reported that now it is reopened it doesn't seem to have those problems.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobinS, I see what you mean, yes it was bumpy last season, good to know it's smoother now. Maybe they won't have to replace it.

I was joking - for me any chairlift that gets me from A to B is fine, but I must admit, the back jarring experience that was Envers last year wasn't pleasant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:
Alastair, you rode Envers today!?! Shocked
Way to go! When did it open?

It opened today, apparently. I believe that for the next two days they're serving breakfast at the top of the lift to celebrate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RobinS, @eblunt, I have to say I don't think it's any smoother.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booger, I was hoping it would open mid March for its now traditional 3 day opening before it closes again wink

Apparently the seats will be changed this summer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, well! So Envers opened yesterday without any Announcement? No explanation?
We did notice some guys working on it at the top just before we left early Feb.
Then boredsurfin found a Facebook page with suggestions it would open "soon".
And now it opens as if nothing had happened?
Wonderful! Goes with the general farce.
I don't suppose they will still be serving Breakfast on Friday . . . ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest, we thought it was a firm ride, but put it down to the crap hard plastic seats. The ride over the pylons seemed acceptable. Unless there's something else unfixable changing the seats would make it OK. The lifties were very cheery and keen to greet us when we used it for the first time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, jonpim, Alastair, Its such a relatively short ride and saves so much bother that the seats could be like the old Vega chairlift (open wooden slats) and we would still use it Very Happy
However, my eldest prefers to ski down to La Roche once Envers has removed the crowds...
ski holidays
Ok, we're here and it is heaving! Today has snowed most of the day, but forecast for tomorrow is looking good. Any advice please for where to go that will be a bit quieter, but with very easy runs? I can safely say I will never ski in a French resort during French school holidays again.
snow report
Quote:
that the seats could be like the old Vega chairlift

*wistful sigh* And what a classic lift it was. Very Happy
latest report
@HelenS, you don’t say which village you’re staying in. Given the Envers lift is now running I’d recommend the blue runs down in to Montalbert from the top of the Montalbert Gondola will still be relatively quiet. Just make sure you plan your return to Plagne Centre / Bellcote nice and early to avoid the worst of the queues.
ski holidays
@HelenS, Montalbert - using the Gondola - lots of smaller less used pistes in the trees, Montchavin - the same. Depending on your ability there are some lovely usually quiet pistes down to Chalet Friolin. There are some quiet pistes of the top of Drag lift Allouettes (sp) from Plagne Villages.
Avoid ski school starting and finishing times. Ski between 12.30 and 2.30 while they are all at lunch! Have your lunch before or after. Avoid Bellecote at peak times at all costs!
snow conditions
@chopkins13, thanks. We're in 1800. I hadn't refreshed the thread, so had missed that Envers was open.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, thanks for the help. We did ski through lunch on Sunday and it was marginally better, but Bellecote at peak was quite something!!!
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, being dense here, but where is Chalet Friolin please?
snow report
@HelenS, it’s at 1800m above Montchavin.
ski holidays
@HelenS, Sorry, its ar the beginning of the Bauches Chairlift
https://lechaletdufriolin.fr/en/accueil-en/
If in 1800 escape up the 1800 and then Golf chair in the morning, then you have a choice of many lifts, If you go up Melezes you only really have the choice of Bergerie and its queue
ski holidays
HelenS, that boredsurfin bloke: he give good advice.
And if you like the red runs down to La Roche, then do them first thing in the morning rather than take Golf: you will get back up to Aime2000 almost as quick.
(Of course, you can miss the Bergerie queues if you get on the first lift at 0900, or wait until about 11am (a leisurely breakfast is good for the soul Toofy Grin )

The run back down to 1800 over the bridge from Aime2000 is usually quiet.
And (as you have discovered): never go anywhere near Bellecote except during the lunch period 12.30 - 14.30 (used to be 12-2, but seems to have moved recently).
If over Arpette or Roche de Mio way, then get back to 1800 via Verdon Sud.

But then it will all be wonderfully quiet next week with the French 'olidays finis snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim,
Quote:

But then it will all be wonderfully quiet next week with the French 'olidays finis

March 16th a great day to go back again snowHead wink
snow report
@boredsurfin, Saw the Montchavin webcam this morning Shocked Shocked
latest report
thefatcontroller, the Montalbert webcam now seems much as expected - what was going on when you looked?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking to go away for the week beginning 23rd March and wondering whether to stay in Plagne Centre, Plagne 1800 or Plan Peisey. Looking at lift queues on the Colorado webcam they looked horrific from 9:30 to 12:00 today. Will that die down once the French holidays finish at the end of next week?

Not sure about 1800 in terms of getting to/from it each day as I can't get my head around the geography of that area!

As for Plan Peisey, as it is lower level how are the runs down to each side of the Vanoise Express holding up. Being in the middle of the Paradaski area makes it best for doing both La Plagne and Les Arcs so would be best option if the snow is OK there.

Any regulars out there help, please?
latest report
@Smartin, Lift queues will be virtually non-existent after the French holidays, so no worries there. 1800 has easy access to the La Plagne side. Plan Peisey is nice but the home runs do catch the sun so get slushy, bumpy and scraped on warm afternoons.
snow report
Had a nice ski out yesterday, pistes mainly in good condition, a bit slushy, scraped and thin in a few places low down (skied Montalbert to Les Coches and back). Very much still spring conditions. Envers chair had a substantial queue, so skied down to La Roche, which was fine without the crowds. Between 12 and 2 the lift queues were fine, but heading back at 3pm the queue for Colossus was over 18 minutes. Unfortunately there are just too many people for the infrastructure to cope with.

Today looks damp and dismal so we will be working rather than fighting the crowds (and looking forward to when they all go home!)
latest report
I'm heading out on Saturday to LP for a week, haven't been there for 12 years so very much looking forward to returning! Staying in an apartment in Aime 2100. Does anyone have any piste-side restaurant recommendations for nice lunches out and about? Cheers!
ski holidays
@Oceanrat88, There is this thread that has been updated each season over the years https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=810920&
snow report
Brill, thanks v. much boredsurfin!
latest report
RobinS, interesting that you met a large queue at Envers, but found La Roche was fine.

Queues at Bellecote always bad during the holiday period - not sure why you wanted Colosses if on your way back to Les Coches . . .
On bad days the queues for Blanchette, Colosses and Arpette merge in to one huge melee.
snow report
Were heading back from Les Coches towards Montalbert, options are Colossus, or Blanchets (which also had a huge queue) and Verdon Sud, unless we have been missing something all season!
At 3pm Bellecote was a horrendous melee, queue for Arpette was even worse!
We are working for a few days now, so by the time we get out again the crowds will be gone
snow report
When Bellecote is that bad it’s much more comfortable to get the bus around to Plagne Centre
ski holidays
RobinS, sorry, had you going the wrong way (and stupidly thinking you were staying at Les Coches rolling eyes )

Queues all over the place this morning - Becoin, Colorado, Grand Rochette, Bergerie - but we didn't wait for any lifts and with vertical 1000m and lots of piste kilometres we skied non-stop until the clouds came in. You just gotta know where to go Toofy Grin
latest report
RobinS wrote:
Were heading back from Les Coches towards Montalbert, options are Colossus, or Blanchets (which also had a huge queue) and Verdon Sud, unless we have been missing something all season!
At 3pm Bellecote was a horrendous melee, queue for Arpette was even worse!
We are working for a few days now, so by the time we get out again the crowds will be gone

A sneaky option from the top of Arpette is to go round the top of Belle plagne and stay as left as possible and go past the base of the magic carpet and go down to the col de forcle drag. Avoids bellecote altogether .
snow conditions
That's a good wheeze - never thought of that route. I presume that takes you to Geisha and then Verdons Sud?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy