Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
@randywatson, sounds a great trip... happy days Laughing Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
only real queues encountered last week were for Bergerie in a morning, the Verdons sud which was down to 2 persons per chair one day and the Bellcote glacier gondola when it was open - but we skied down to mid station!

we skied the north face of Bellcote down to Peisey one day and got the bus to the Vanoise - we pretty much walked straight on!

there were crowds, which were a shock to us at first being accustomed to the tranquility of Sainte Foy - but they moved incredibly fast!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow conditions were fantastic yesterday, about as good as they ever get. Pistes perfect, and still powder turns in the off piste. Fine sunshine all day, but still pretty cold. Only downside was the queues, though between 12 and 2 it was fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, randywatson, the skiing must have been quite something last week!
You wrote:
Arrival at Geneva was chaos, Kids didn’t really enjoy the mini clubs, Mrs wasn’t keen on the food, and the rooms were incredibly small etc
That is quite a list of negatives.
Most glad you had a good time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another beautiful day, and not too bad for lift queues - belle plagne was busy, but les coches up to the glacier was easy and the posted are good
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is the latest snowmaking update for La plagne

Water in the reservoirs

Prajourdan : 10 000 m3
•Lovatière : 5 000 m3
•Forcle : 28 000m3
•Pierres-Blanches : 5 000m3
•Coches : 1 000m3

Total Production to 21/01/19 morning : 578 146m3
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boredsurfin, do you know what the general ratio of water to snow is in this process? I.e. how much snow would 10,000m3 of water create?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chopkins13, each snowmaker can make 30 cubic meters of snow an hour using 15 cubic meters of water per hour. You can do the maths snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok so the remaining water could produce another 98,000m3 if snow, about 1/6th of what has already been produced. Interesting stuff, though I guess you wouldn’t expect to need much snow making beyond Feb anyway?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chopkins13, Here is what they intended to do with that little bit left in Coches
Quote:
The little water available on Montchavin will be used to complete the production on the beginner spaces and some weak points on the Mont-Blanc piste.

When we have recovered the water level we will produce on the buffet stage.

Elsewhere the dusting will be done to soften the sensitive points.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But presumably at least some of the run-off, as the existing snow cover melts, will end up back in the reservoirs - so increasing the capacity.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freeze thaw affecting lower and south facing slopes, Plenty of decent snow high up though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were over in La Plagne again today. The snow on the bellecote was still great. Fresh powder and plenty of room to put down fresh tracks.

Full report on the Les Arcs thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138630&start=800

and photos on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The now quite boring farce of the Envers Chairlift continues!

Quote:
Press release of the La Plagne Development Company on the Envers chairlift read today on R 'La Plagne's Facebook page:
In this mid-season, we would like to inform you about the progress of the Envers chair lift. Technical operations are underway to remedy the security defect initially detected. The conclusion of the intervention is planned for the end of next week. An administrative delay will then be necessary before obtaining the authorization of opening of the chairlift. We will of course continue to keep you informed of the progress of the file in the coming weeks. We thank you for your support since the beginning of the season and count on your help to allow our customers to always enjoy the estate in the best conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/laradiostation.fr/posts/?ref=page_internal
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah just kill it off and replace it with a new one from a recognised trusted manufacturer already!!
ski holidays
Thats the solution but I fear they will try and make this one work before they give in to the blindingly obvious, lets just hope no one gets killed on that piste to La Roche this season Sad
snow report
It’s very warm here in La Plagne, but pistes are in good shape.

It gets a bumpy/cut up lower down in the afternoon but not really surprising considering number of people and warm weather.

We are loving La Plagne (a day and a half in) and already think this could be our favourite resort to date. Great for family skiing.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, thank you for the update on the Envers lift. I note the comments on the Facebook page mirror the comments here.
But what confuses me, is if the story is correct that the lift company put this lift in to show the world (and China) that they could build ski lifts, surely they should have bust a gut to make this one work.
http://www.lst.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MND-300317-inauguration-telesiege-La-Plagne-EN.pdf
As it is, all they have shown is complete incompetence at building chair lifts.
It just don't make sense.
ski holidays
We are not out skiing as we have loads of guests, but they report a fantastic day skiing. Late morning pistes were perfect, a bit cut up / slushy / icy low down this afternoon, but they loved it all.
snow conditions
La Plagne 1 week review

Date: 9th Feb
Our holiday: 6 couples aged 26-40, 11 skiers and 1 boarder
Basics : The group ranged from 2 complete beginners to people who had been skiing every year for 20 years. I personally have completed 2 ski seasons in Courch and have skied in the rest of the 3 valleys, Bulgaria, Val D’Isere, St Anton, Whistler, Fernie, and Verbier.

Lift system: The lifts were the one limiting factor preventing La Plagne from being the best resort I have visited. Unfortunately, there are far too many short lifts which, when combined with large queues (admittedly our own fault for timing our holiday in a busy week), meant that too much time was spent on lifts or queuing, when it could otherwise have been spent skiing the fantastic terrain. If you want to get out and beat the crowds in the morning then it’s better to catch the bus to a high lift and be there when it opens.

As a boarder, I was impressed with the tow ropes provided on the flat terrain-thumbs up! Unfortunately, people still managed to get in the way/stop while you are trying to keep momentum with one foot detached!

The terrain:
One important thing to mention is the scale of the place. I was out all day, every day and still did not travel to Les Arcs. I am quick and like to explore so this really shows how much skiing La Plagne has to offer.
I have heard that different resorts use different systems to measure their piste km but La Plagne felt, to me, much larger than Courchevel or Meribel. I don’t know how big Les Arcs is but if it’s as big as La Plagne then I would suggest there isn’t much difference in skiable terrain between this area and the 3 valleys.
Low down is amazing and so is high up. There is a lot of skiing at very high altitude (e.g. Plagne 1800 is one of the lower villages) and some impressive vertical enabling you to enjoy beautiful tree lined pistes further down.
Unfortunately, the central areas connecting everything are a bad combination of boring and busy and you are forced to travel through them to get between areas. I’d recommend only crossing this zone to get out or get home.
Taking my head out of my own back bottom…the remainder of the group loved the plethora of cruisy blues which really allow you to gas it. There were also plenty of reds if you get bored of blues easily.
For the beginners, there were limited greens in general and no blues back down to 1800 (just a chopped up red ☹) so the first 2 days were more uncomfortable than they would have been in other resorts. However after then, the high ratio of blues allowed them to really enjoy themselves. I guess if you think someone might be a timid learner then this is not the resort for them, however if you think they will be confident and pick it up quickly, then it’s a great resort to progress.

The snow. 2018/19 has been a strange season. We were incredibly lucky that it dumped for the first 2 days, providing us with enough snow to keep the pistes in good conditions all week, despite the glorious sunshine. I don’t think this was representative so I’ll make the assumption that the large amount of terrain above 1800 will provide a good snow record.

Off-piste I met a local on the lift who took me down some nice tree lines but wouldn’t trust going it alone. I was very tempted to pay for a guide but given the expansive on-piste terrain, it wasn’t necessary. There are also some NATUR pistes which might as well be off piste that were incredible while the snow was fresh e.g. the Black underneath the 1800 chairlift

The resort Nothing to mention-good nor bad. No different to other alpine resorts.

Food We were in a catered chalet, which was great but every meal out was also good.

Accommodation Fine. As long as it’s a chalet and not offensive then I will like it.

Costs c.1300 all in (catered chalet, lift pass, ski carriage). Meals and drinks out were expensive as you’d imagine. If you want to save money then you have to make your own sandwiches and take your own drinks. You can’t eat out on the cheap.

Conclusion A HUGE resort with plenty of great skiing to keep even the best more than occupied for a week at least. The lift system does let it down a bit but this can be overcome by good planning, staying higher up or using the bus.

Out of everywhere I have been, this is one place I would definitely return to.
snow conditions
Currently on our third visit to La Plagne. Both previous visits have been at Easter, this is our first half term visit. It is a Superb ski area with something for everyone. We have avoided the main central hubs at busy times only coming back in near the end of our day. We ski back to Bellecote to get the ski bus and the queues at the lifts in there are horrendous at that time. A firm favourite resort for us.
snow conditions
There are three blues back into 1800, one accessed from near the road tunnel, Loup Garou, the other two down from Aime 2000 and from Becoin, Jean Marie and Lovatière. The Mines piste has been deemed a Red for this year, and so Loup Garou as a Blue is a good bypass for it! (Worth mentioning that the red under the 1800 chair is a Black again this year - I guess so that they don't have to bother piste bashing it!)
ski holidays
@boredsurfin. I stand corrected re the blues-our group tended to have been returning from the rest of the area and so only used the blue track down from Plagne Centre which then turns into a red for a short section before the bottom. For our beginners it was quite daunting! I must say that the grading system produced some surprises-some blues felt like reds and some reds like blues, but that's skiing.
By not bashing Crete Cote, the piste was certainly easier, but it will be a different story once it has become tracked out and icy! Has it historically been a red then? It really was fantastic in the powder.
snow conditions
@Ryunis, The blue turns right after the road whilst the Red goes straight ahead.... The right turn is sometimes obscured by groups of people waiting to make a decision!
Yep, was always a Red but was always being scraped bare by snowboarders just on the bend under the lift! Toofy Grin
snow report
Does this make sense to the La Plagne regulars:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142095&highlight=
snow report
sugarmoma666, the poster makes a confusing first post: " just returned from Les coches which we didn't really ski in ".
Then goes on to say: " one of the days we did ski in Les Coches it had snowed the morning before "
But the last day it snowed there was Feb 12th.
Others on that thread are requesting further information.
I would suggest there was a light fall of snow on a hard base which was quickly scraped off.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
sugarmoma666, the poster makes a confusing first post: " just returned from Les coches which we didn't really ski in ".
Then goes on to say: " one of the days we did ski in Les Coches it had snowed the morning before "
But the last day it snowed there was Feb 12th.
Others on that thread are requesting further information.
I would suggest there was a light fall of snow on a hard base which was quickly scraped off.

It seems particularly strange to have driven to Tignes Confused
snow conditions
Made no sense at all, last snowed 12th Feb, and the 13th/14th were fantastic conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, take a look at the previous posting history for that poster.
ski holidays
Thank you @Gämsbock, that does help make some sort of sense rolling eyes
snow report
Our guests for half term week had a great time in the sunshine, and this week we have time to ski ourselves. Yesterday was fine hot and sunny, and the pistes are still in amazingly good condition. Some comedy moguls on the blue run bottlenecks, but overall fantastic skiing. The only downside is the hordes of people. Between 12 and 2 is Ok, but otherwise you spend as much time queueing as skiing.
snow report
Temeperatures about to start dropping at last . . .
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
snow conditions
Went over to Peisey Vallandry today. Mad crowds so we only really skied between 12 and 2. Some pistes there really suffering now, big patches of grass amongst the slush! Really do need colder weather and snow now, 2 weeks of heatwave is enough!
snow conditions
Looks like plenty of snow coming next week... at last!
snow report
Is the local forecast showing snow most days next week? I'm out then and confess I loathe skiing in poor conditions :/ I know it is needed, but ....
snow report
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210 @HelenS,

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-02-19 22:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
boredsurfin, don't you just love it when meteofrance predicts a "snowstorm" (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday next week).
Sounds so exciting!
And we arrive on Thursday . . . snowHead

(for some reason your link comes up with an error)
snow conditions
@Jonpim, The error is because of the full stop. Can't say I love it when those are the days I'll be skiing! Sad
snow report
@HelenS, @Jonpim, Removed full stop all lovely now snowHead
snow conditions
Seems to have changed overnight!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy