Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived about 9:30 this eve after 14 hrs travelling. Snowing lightly, pistes look good as had to walk along one to get to our chalet. Fresh snow but not enough to cause problems. Journey from GVA was a nightmare due to combination of accident on N9 nr Albertville and people driving up to La Plagne ignoring the signs saying to put on snow chains ! but made it in the end. Looking forward to tomorrow. Very Happy
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry you had a tough journey richb67, its just a matter of timing: roads were completely clear at 4pm.
And what a lot of snow La Plagne has had the last week!
We've been up in Tignes for 8 days: they've had quite a lot of snow there (and cold!), but La Plagne clearly had more. The fence just outside the apartment had snow about half way up, but is now completely covered.
And outside now, more yummy snowflakes falling.
Poor visibility today, so will stick to the trees, but sunshine forecast for tomorrow.
Loverly!
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, Not listening, etc Sad snowHead
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After spending most of the last week snow clearing (along with other work) we had a day skiing today. Poor vis, huge moguls, and absolutely shedloads of new snow. Great fun, but there was carnage on some of the blues with massive moguls and a fallen skier on each.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobinS, yes, I was taken out by a giant mogul on a blue piste heading for the Vanoise Express returning to Les Arcs in flat light yesterday. Hope to be back on the slopes by Tuesday!
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair, Bad luck! They jump up to get you in the poor vis. We had a heavy snowfall after they had pisted Saturday night, and they don't piste again in the morning, so loads of fresh snow to form into moguls. Also it was slightly warmer than of late, so the snow was more solid. Looks like we should have a couple of days of sun now so the bashers should be able to flatten the main pistes.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Poor visibility, heavy snow, and big vicious moguls is nasty combination. Hope your injury none too serious @Alastair.
Today should be perfect. Lots of fresh snow, colder, and bright sun in cloudless blue sky. snowHead
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair, take it easy... This Saturday morning, up at Les Arcs "Tuffes" run, there was two days of untracked powder (top lifts having been closed Thurs / Fri) sitting on top of the, as you say, vicious moguls. we were lucky enough to be among the first 30 or so up there. But what looked to be a beautiful rhythmic bouncy powder run was upset by the underneath lumps that really threw you around.

(That and a body that couldn't cash the cheques the brain was writing)
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the concern! Knee feels recovered and the ribs are not restricting me too much, so hopefully back on the slopes tomorrow. Suspect I missed a magnificent day today Crying or Very sad .
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arrived Sunday, awoke to blue skies, cold temps and lots of snow. Some lovely powder to be had all day with little effort - very light, cold and dry!
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sunday was tough, we stayed in the trees around Montalbert. I had a couple of falls on that damn blue down to the Roche lift and we saw plenty of stretchers, hopefully no one was seriously hurt.

Today was a different world, blue skies and great pistes this morning. They got quite cut up later on but the moguls weren’t too big so it was fun even for someone with my limited ability. Maybe it was my imagination but they seemed better at the end of the day than early pm.

We popped down to Monchavin this afternoon just for a change and were the only two people on Les Cloches red. It was a bit icey at the very bottom by Monchavin but lovely apart from that. Returned via Roche mio and the new Inversens lift on the way back to Plagne centre and it was quick and comfy. We have four complete beginners plus 4 others of varying abilities and everyone had a fantastic day.

Roll on tomorrow Very Happy
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
Sorry you had a tough journey richb67, its just a matter of timing: roads were completely clear at 4pm.
And what a lot of snow La Plagne has had the last week!

Thanks for that... Sad flight was delayed 2hrs and then we waited nearly another 2 for our bags to arrive so everything conspired against us.

There is a picnic bench at the chalet, evidently it was cleared on a Tuesday but had about 18 inches fresh snow on it when we arrived on Sat.
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glorious sunshine all day today, pistes in fantastic condition, unpisted black runs great fun. Overall it doesn't get much better than this. Most pistes now well prepared, moguls only at the bottlenecks on the easier runs.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS,Is everything open now, ALL the pistes through the trees in Monty? Pistes like 'Bovet' ?
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, Don't know all the pistes, but we didn't find anything closed today, reds through the trees open, all the blacks from the Becoin ridge open, and all in good condition.
snow report     
Still some stuff shut up on the glacier yesterday. Top lifts not running and the black Derochoir that ultimately goes down to the vanoise express still shut.
ski holidays     
Sometimes you need to be extra careful about which runs are open and which are not.
On Tuesday we did a completely new (and rather tricky) run, probably only done previously by pisteurs.
Among our group was one who never does off-piste, and one who is recovering from bad chest infection and not up to serious exertion.
The day was glorious: blue sky, bright sunshine, chilly, pistes in perfect condition.
We were cruising round blues and easy reds. And there is a lovely long run off the top of the Crete drag: Gavotte. Piste Map
So up we went. To find that the run was closed due to avalance risk. Sad The alternatives were two Blacks: Etroits or Grande Pente. Sad Sad
The only sensible solution was walk back up to the top of the drag, and ski down the drag.
Quite exciting in the end: the start of the drag is quite steep, and you had to time your run down when there was no one coming up.
The lifty got rather excited as we came down, and we will bore people in bars about it for many days to come.
(And on close examination there was a faint notice in white chalk on a blackboard stating the only the blacks were open - we will be more wary next time)
latest report     
@Jonpim, Yes, we went up there to do Etroits, and I do remember the closed sign on the other side. Be aware also that Grenouilles, at least as of yesterday is unpisted, huge moguls, bumps and utter carnage at times.
ski holidays     
Etroits - one of my favourite blacks snowHead Skied it once and it was knee deep powder top to bottom, even the track alongside the Bief Bovet stream on the run out Very Happy

@Jonpim, I bet the lift was arsey Laughing
snow conditions     
@RobinS, Grenouilles, a lot of effort at the best of times, probably best when the middle bit is compacted hard icy snow so you can side slip down it Toofy Grin
latest report     
And another warning. Two, actually.
For those who like Mont de la Guerre: Beware!
1. From the end of the road/track it is one long mogul field, with no mercy. Of course: lovely if you like that sort of thing Smile
2. Usually, to make sure you get to the end of the road without too much poling, you schuss from the signpost, but at the bottom of the schuss - just before the corner - it is VERY BUMPY. Could be nasty if you hit it at full speed.

Good news! The Crepe Hut at the bottom has gone back to putting the crepe in a cup, rather than those silly triangle things of the last couple of years. Much better for eating, and keeps the crepe hot for longer.
ski holidays     
Went out early today on "First Tracks" at Montalbert. Nice run down before everything opened, then breakfast at the 360 . Had a good ski afterwards, pistes in good condition though the unpisted blacks are now very mogulled. Grenouille has now been pisted. It is all noticeably busier now, though bigger crowds arrive from this weekend.
ski holidays     
Light (very light) snow this afternoon. 5cm or so forecast.

Skied over to Les Arcs side today - no queues anywhere including Vanoise Express, which was a surprise as we’d heard it was 40 min queues yesterday!
ski holidays     
Guys, I am going there this Sunday for a week and was wondering which week is busier - the french holiday when I will be there or the week after when it's the UK schools holiday?
latest report     
CYPER wrote:
Guys, I am going there this Sunday for a week and was wondering which week is busier - the french holiday when I will be there or the week after when it's the UK schools holiday?

Week after
snow conditions     
Layne wrote:
CYPER wrote:

Week after

So if 100% is the busiest it could be then what % is next week and the week after too?
Cheers
ski holidays     
@CYPER, February to March week 1 are the busiest of the season where the real money is made- how busy - depends on many many factors - including snow conditions in other resorts. Never lose sight of the fact that La Plagne is the most visited ski resort in the world...and also 75% of visitors are French (and of the remaining 25% two thirds are from the UK.) and therefore the Winter school holiday is the time to ski! But don't forget like clockwork the French stop at 12.30 for Lunch and start again en masse at 2.30. So plan to eat early or late and enjoy almost empty pistes over their lunch break Very Happy
latest report     
CYPER wrote:
Layne wrote:
CYPER wrote:

Week after

So if 100% is the busiest it could be then what % is next week and the week after too?
Cheers

Do I look like some kind of ski resort usage monitor.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve to be honest. You've already booked, you are definitely going. You know it's going to be quite busy but not as busy as the peak weeks of new year and half term. Get out early, avoid the pinch points at key times, ski through lunch. It's just the usual gubbins. Relax and enjoy.
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are ski-ing in La Plagne / Les Arcs over half term and I am wondering which areas / pistes tend to be quietest at certain times of day? I have skied the area several times before but never a busy half term week. We are staying in Montchavin so I am hoping that we can beat the queues at the Vanoise Express and get over to Les Arcs first thing a couple of days. I like the tree line runs in the sector around the Vanoise as get more sun in the morning that the Montchavin / Les Coches sector. Any tips much appreciated.
ski holidays     
Avoid Bellecote. Three big lifts, all with large queues at peak times. From Montchavin get up to Roche De Mio via Crozats and the new fast Inversens lift. You can then avoid Bellecote by taking Levasset and either ski the quieter runs above Champagny or make your way to the runs above Plagne Centre or towards Montalbert (but beware that with Envers shut there is only one way back from Montalbert). An early start on the Vanoise is also good.
snow report     
@OldHacker, Ski from midday to 2pm. The rest of the time it will be very busy. If visibility is good, everyone goes up high. If vis is terrible the upper runs will be quiet.
snow report     
can you recommend good ski shop in la plagne 1800 for skis only?many thanks
ski holidays     
OldHacker wrote:
We are ski-ing in La Plagne / Les Arcs over half term and I am wondering which areas / pistes tend to be quietest at certain times of day? I have skied the area several times before but never a busy half term week. We are staying in Montchavin so I am hoping that we can beat the queues at the Vanoise Express and get over to Les Arcs first thing a couple of days. I like the tree line runs in the sector around the Vanoise as get more sun in the morning that the Montchavin / Les Coches sector. Any tips much appreciated.

We normally stay in Les Coches.

When we were out Christmas it seemed busier than normal to me but I would say it was less of a problem on the Les Arcs side.

If you have the Paradiski pass you get priority at certain lifts on the Les Arcs side. Derby for one is very useful.

Getting up the Aggy Rouge always seems a bind with a double queue at both cable cars. If any time is going to be good for you it's probably at peak lunch, around 1.

Arcabulle is queuey and often it's better to return via the lower lifts Ours and Comborciere leaving a bit more time to get along from 1600/1800. We usually keep skiing above Peisey Valandry as long as we dare because the return queues onto the VE lesson as it gets near to closing and of course you need no further lifts to get back to Montchavin. Unless we are returning over earlier in the afternoon, usually because the weather has closed in and then spend the rest of the day in the trees above Les Coches.

On the La Plagne side I haven't boarded the Roche Di Mio very often at all in recent years as there always seems to be a queue. Likewise I generally never go up the Glacier. I love the skiing from the Roche Di Mio though and use Inversen and the lift going towards the Champagny side a lot. I find that some of the lifts although the queues look quite bad actually have good throughput.
ski holidays     
Well after two non skiing days due to a chest infection I was relieved to be feeling good enough to get out today. There were a couple of inches of snow overnight so Conditions were great everywhere but it was the busiest day by far.

Glacier was open so we popped up and just did the red and blue, Combe (red) was challenging for me as an Intermediate on the first couple of steep sections. Quite a few people were using the track to cut out the steepest section but that had therefore become sheet ice. Morale of the story if you are unsure I’d suggest you only tackle Combe if you have already handled a lower altitude black as once you get of the chairlift you are committed. I found it trickier than Crozats (black) which I did a few days earlier. Maybe because it hadn’t been used as much so had a lot of patchy snow hiding the moguls! It was good to get it done though.

Re lifts
If going to Roche de Mio check out the queue for the gondola whilst skiing into the village. If it’s more than 20 yd’s long jump on the Blanchets chairlift and then Corella. There were rarely queues and I timed it about 17 mins. The queue for collosses chair lift from Bellecote to Plagne centre can look bad but as long as the crowds are within the wood fenced area it’s only a 5-10 min wait. Other than that do another run back to Bellecote or get a drink and wait for it to die down as the slopes get very quiet at about 4:30.

Overall piste skiing was great and anyone coming in the next week or two can look forward to a good trip. The easily accessible off piste is probably tracked out but I think more snow is due. Even the couple of inches last night rejuvenated some areas.
latest report     
@richb67, During the holidays it can be quicker to get from Bellecote to Plagne Centre\1800 by taking the ski bus rather than the lifts/pistes.
snow report     
Thanks for the tips everyone. Does anyone happen to know what the queues are likely to be at the Vanoise Express travelling LA to LP late morning in half term week as someone will have to get back to Montchavin for ski school pick-up unfortunately ...
latest report     
@OldHacker, or bad mid morning.
@boredsurfin, IMHO it’s rare that taking the bus is quicker, if it’s that bad I opt for blanchets and verdon sud.
snow report     
Good 20cm+ of fresh this morning, and it is still snowing.
ski holidays     
Awful conditions today, loads of soft fluffy white stuff getting in the way.
snow conditions     
Back from a phenomenal week in La Plagne. Honestly one of the best ever!!

Large dump of Snow during the weekend we arrived, then 4 days of wall to wall sunshine before another little top up towards the end of the week and another couple of sunny days to finish off. Glacier was open around half the time too.

First time with Club-med after years of catered chalets. Not gonna dwell on the negatives - Arrival at Geneva was chaos, Kids didn’t really enjoy the mini clubs, Mrs wasn’t keen on the food, and the rooms were incredibly small etc but all that was insignificant to me as the skiing was unreal.

I’ve never had a lesson in my 20yrs, but I decided to try them out as they’re included. We had other good skiers in our group who were clubmed regulars and they advised level 4 was a bit too serious so I put my name down for 3A.

First morning there were 14 of us + 2 instructors. Wasn’t sure it was for me during those first couple of runs, found myself stood waiting a lot, but soon we were split into two groups of 7, then 2 of our group wanted to stay with their mates so were were down to 5 + 1 instructor – this was a dream!! From then on it was flat out, good pace, good terrain, we usually all fit on the same chair, and we went on some amazing backcountry adventures, all likeminded and happy to hike for the magical pow!! We had a great dynamic, had a good laugh and saw some amazing sights, all away from the madding crowd. I did take the odd afternoon off to hammer the piste with the mrs, kids and some of the others, we all loved it. I have never packed so much into my 6 days before. Was out before and after the first and last lifts every day!!

Never had such convenient doorstep skiing before either, we would walk outside n fly down to La Roche before the lifts even opened! then we literally scraped to a stop outside the ski locker door at home time!

I love La Plagne
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy